Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Rumours Rumours Rumours - The Big Kahuna

Comments

• Gumbo said:

Please can you sink this thread otherwise I'm going to looking at it everyday from now till the end of the next transfer window as I have no life :(

I think I was on 5 times an hour when the Delort business was kicking off. I hope this makes you feel better about your life!
  • wmcf123 said:

The obsession with a big target man is bizarre. How many are really effective at our level? Give me another Watt any day.

Before anyone says anything, I know the height test is a long standing joke!

That's a good question. I suppose you have to ask what effective means. If you're saying goals then maybe a big man isn't the most effective striker but if we're talking overall contribution and look beyond goals then that opens it up a bit.

At Bournemouth obviously there is Yann who we know plenty about. Also good with the ball at his feet he's got 17 goals this season. Bournemouth also saw fit to bring in Kenwyne Jones as an alternative option for the run-in.

Watford have 6ft2 Odion Ighalo who has 20 goals. He's also pacy and Watford play a far more cultured from of football than us but he's still a bulldozer forward who has been very effective.

At Middlebrough Kike is 6ft1 and works well as a foil for Patrick Bamford. He's got 11 goals

Norwich's top scorer is Cameron Jerome who is a battering ram forward who wins more than his share of headers. 19 goals. Gary Hooper is more of a Tony Watt style player in that he's smaller and stockier and he trails behind Jerome with 12.

Ipswich have Daryl Murphy who is 6ft3, tough as old boots and has scored 25 goals. Blackburn's Rudy Gestede is wanted by Premier League clubs after scoring 21 goals.

Looking at the top 10 strikers it's rarely the big men who dominate the scoring charts but every successful team tends to have one in their squad to change up the way they play if needs be and to offer that physical threat up front in a very physical league. Too many times this season we've seen the ball relentlessly pushed back into our half because Igor or Watt was being double marked and bullied. We need an alternative option to give opposition managers something else to think about before and during a game. Plus as we're a team that doesn't have specific kind of players to play a certain way, like say Derby do, we have to be able to change it up when things aren't working. I think that it's a necessary addition in order for us to have a complete squad
    Absolutely it's about options need something different coming off the bench to change a game! Also it's about someone who has the ability to hold the ball up and allow others to play off him! This will help with possession and take the pressure off the back four!

Here is what I posted on the igor thread about what strikers I think we need!

In my view the strikers we bring in need to be different types of striker to what we currently have! I'd say we need one kermorgant type number nine who is good in the air and good on the ground can receive the ball with his back to goal and hold it up! That is key! If we seriously want to compete at the top end of the table we also need an old fashioned battering ram type striker! A big old lump who you hoof the ball to and he can cause problems in the box! It's not pretty but sometimes in this league it needs to be done! It's useful to have that option to come off the bench and make things happen!

As I say If we seriously want to compete at the top end of the table we need that! And it needs to be on top of any youth players who may or may not be ready! And on top of any punts we take on young players who may or may not adapt to the league/make it!

And it goes without saying we need to keep Igor and watt!
  • wmcf123 said:

The obsession with a big target man is bizarre. How many are really effective at our level? Give me another Watt any day.

Just off the top of my head - Kermorgant, Smith, Gestede, Deeney, Jerome. All slightly different players in their own way, but strong physical presences who have scored a lot of goals between them. Lots of, in fact most, teams play with a target man of some sort, we quite clearly need that option in our squad. Hardly an obsession.
  • I thought James Garner was very good in the Rockford files.

Quite tall but not sure if he supported Preston North End.

Stop it - you have a reputation to maintain... :smiley:
  • Jim Rockford's no good, he's got a limp although his Dad, Rocky, might have a good Twitter account.
  • Sponsored links:

• Or Garner's delicious pickled onions..
  • The football rumours site has gone all clickbait and videos (and no rumours)

Is nothing sacred?
  • Is Joe related to Blackburn's Simon Garner ?

• Wasn't there a Bill Garner who played for Chelsea in the 1970s?

Grandad to Joe and Simon maybe but probably not James or Rocky with the limp.
  • still a bit stumped as to why you'd pay 2m for a player out of contract in June
  • I thought James Garner was very good in the Rockford files.

Quite tall but not sure if he supported Preston North End.

If they do scrap Red Red Robin can we run out to Rockford Files theme tune instead?
  • So who is joe's dad ?
  • markmc68 said:

So who is joe's dad ?

Great photo of Bill but why leave out Jim Rockford?
  • Was he James garner lol
  • Direct quote from guy luzon last night. "We need a number 9. A big number 9"

This was in response to me asking him which positions he wanted to strengthen. He listed several positions but this was the first one he said
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:

It is not just about height, it is about the ability to play with your back to the goal, a strong hold up player (like Kermogant remember)
  • Swisdom said:

Direct quote from guy luzon last night. "We need a number 9. A big number 9"

This was in response to me asking him which positions he wanted to strengthen. He listed several positions but this was the first one he said

What were the others? ;-)
  • J BLOCK said:

And so it begins ...

Us and a LONG queue .. that's unless Trevor Hemmings can make Garner an offer he just cannot refuse
  • markmc68 said:

Is Joe related to Blackburn's Simon Garner ?

He is his son
  • markmc68 said:

Is Joe related to Blackburn's Simon Garner ?

He is his son
  • Sensei said:

Jim Rockford's no good, he's got a limp although his Dad, Rocky, might have a good Twitter account.

Last thing you want is a forward with a dose of the Rockford files.
  • Milfs? Men in long funny skirts?

Oh Tony Watt Watt Watt.
  • Joe Garner (no relation) is only 5 foot 10 anyway...
  • edited May 2015
    Most bizarre thread in a while. Just ask yourselves:
    - Is this guy Belgian?
    - Has he played for Standard Liege?
    - Is he at one of the network clubs?

Answers No, No, No. Forget about it
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!