Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General things that Please you

Comments

• Options
    My seven year old and his improvement as a footballer this season, way better than I ever was at his age.
  • Options
    addickson said:

addickson said:

addickson said:

Anyhoo, coming on with a specific thing that pleases me. My dear old Dad, who's 97, tripped and broke his hip a few weeks ago and has been in hospital ever since and we were worried he'd never get home. Told my Mum tonight that they're working on a discharge date next week. The big lump of glad on my Mum's face melted my heart :smiley:

Almost a month later, but my Dad is on his way home now :smiley: Hope this is an omen for Addicks fans. Good things come to those that wait :wink:
    Please forgive my self indulgence, fellow addicks. My Dad had a stroke last week and contracted the “old man’s friend” pneumonia which carried him away today.

So what are my general things that please you?

In the last couple of months I’ve been able to support my Mum and Dad (and they’ve been willing to accept it) in the ways that they just did “naturally” for me all my life. Every little thing, from a nice meal to helping Dad to the kitchen for a wee freshen up was received with a thanks and a smile that has genuinely made the last couple of months the most fulfilling of my life.

The contact from friends saying my Dad was a lovely gentleman (sadly he outlived most of his contemporaries) just confirmed what I knew to be true - his was a great spirit, but a more gentle man I’ve never known.

The care he received from the NHS has been great. Alright, there have been a couple of snooty consultants no doubt with an eye on stats, but the nursing care that he (and my family) received has been heartwarming - last night the nurses reconfigured the room so that me, my brother, sister and brother-in-law could stay in comfort with my Dad as he neared his end.

The care he received from his council appointed carers. So many of them just wanted to bond with him. My Dad had hearing difficulties so the “chat” that would normally form part of their natural interaction with clients was instinctively changed to asking him about his experiences and he really enjoyed his engagement with his carers.

That he was able to live long enough to meet his second great grandson Archie Alistair (the latter named for him).

So farewell Alistair Annan McVicar. You lived a life full of grace and provided me with a family that I couldn’t have wished better from. Your smiles lit up my heart.

Love
    Addickson (Roddy)
    Sorry to hear that Roddy. So close to Christmas too. It will be four years tomorrow that I lost my mother in similar circumstances.

He sounds as though he was a great chap. Hope your mum has taken it as well as can be expected.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    addickson said:

addickson said:

addickson said:

Anyhoo, coming on with a specific thing that pleases me. My dear old Dad, who's 97, tripped and broke his hip a few weeks ago and has been in hospital ever since and we were worried he'd never get home. Told my Mum tonight that they're working on a discharge date next week. The big lump of glad on my Mum's face melted my heart :smiley:

Almost a month later, but my Dad is on his way home now :smiley: Hope this is an omen for Addicks fans. Good things come to those that wait :wink:
    Please forgive my self indulgence, fellow addicks. My Dad had a stroke last week and contracted the “old man’s friend” pneumonia which carried him away today.

So what are my general things that please you?

In the last couple of months I’ve been able to support my Mum and Dad (and they’ve been willing to accept it) in the ways that they just did “naturally” for me all my life. Every little thing, from a nice meal to helping Dad to the kitchen for a wee freshen up was received with a thanks and a smile that has genuinely made the last couple of months the most fulfilling of my life.

The contact from friends saying my Dad was a lovely gentleman (sadly he outlived most of his contemporaries) just confirmed what I knew to be true - his was a great spirit, but a more gentle man I’ve never known.

The care he received from the NHS has been great. Alright, there have been a couple of snooty consultants no doubt with an eye on stats, but the nursing care that he (and my family) received has been heartwarming - last night the nurses reconfigured the room so that me, my brother, sister and brother-in-law could stay in comfort with my Dad as he neared his end.

The care he received from his council appointed carers. So many of them just wanted to bond with him. My Dad had hearing difficulties so the “chat” that would normally form part of their natural interaction with clients was instinctively changed to asking him about his experiences and he really enjoyed his engagement with his carers.

That he was able to live long enough to meet his second great grandson Archie Alistair (the latter named for him).

So farewell Alistair Annan McVicar. You lived a life full of grace and provided me with a family that I couldn’t have wished better from. Your smiles lit up my heart.

Love
    Addickson (Roddy)
    This post pleases me immensely. Though very sad it sounds a beautiful journey to say goodbye.
  • Options
    The wooden mallet.

What a wonderful tool for putting things right. I changed some batteries in my toothbrush this morning and couldn't replace the cover. Just a gentle tap tap with the mallet and all is well again. Mind you its the same with any tool, a certain amount of skill is required. I like to think I know exactly how hard to hit stuff to make good a repair :smile:
  • Options
    Stacey Dooley's wardrobe manager.
  • Options
    Having had tests that confirm my dear old pa-in-law will need a heart bypass, he's been dismissed until new year, which means he can still travel to Germany where we are all meeting up over new year for his 82nd birthday...
  • Options

The wooden mallet.

What a wonderful tool for putting things right. I changed some batteries in my toothbrush this morning and couldn't replace the cover. Just a gentle tap tap with the mallet and all is well again. Mind you its the same with any tool, a certain amount of skill is required. I like to think I know exactly how hard to hit stuff to make good a repair :smile:

Wooden mallet!!! so 1990's.

Get yourself one of these, all the top DIY guys are using them now.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/thor-soft-faced-hammer-23oz-0-65kg-/5607K?kpid=5607K&ds_kid=92700022888069867&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244066&ds_rl=1249796&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249484&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7-bqraix3wIVCpPtCh0SBw9iEAQYBCABEgJUl_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • Options
    buckshee said:

My seven year old and his improvement as a footballer this season, way better than I ever was at his age.

Is that you, Pavel Abbott?
  • Options

Having had tests that confirm my dear old pa-in-law will need a heart bypass, he's been dismissed until new year, which means he can still travel to Germany where we are all meeting up over new year for his 82nd birthday...

Enjoy it mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fondling my .17 hmr while Mrs is watching Watership Down
  • Options
    Fondling my three incher while my wife is out on her works Christmas party.
  • Options
    Sitting down and watching both SKY games today and being rewarded with two excellent games with plenty of goals

Normally as a neutral doing this I'm guaranteed a 0-0 double!!
  • Options
    The smell of VOTV in the mornings.....
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

That Livingstones stadium is The Tony Macaroni Stadium

And to make this even better (well to me anyway) the locals call it The Spaghettihad.
  • Options
    The vegan brownie I had earlier today. Very moist and tasty.
  • Options
    The stirring of emotion whilst watching Escape To Victory for what seems like the hundredth time.
  • Options

The vegan brownie I had earlier today. Very moist and tasty.

Racist
  • Options
    Getting followers on Tripadviser!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Imodium.
    What a friend it’s been to me for the past couple of days.
  • Options
    My boy was sick from Christmas Eve right through yesterday but is up and full of beams now so he can come to Coventry after all.
  • Options
    Mrs TCE agreeing to a new Therapy dog (puppy) subject to the correct dog being available (born) next year. Looking forward to the children watching the puppy grow. Solly (Sol) or Taylor being the choice of names. Photo for @Fumbluff ;)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Mrs TCE agreeing to a new Therapy dog (puppy) subject to the correct dog being available (born) next year. Looking forward to the children watching the puppy grow. Solly (Sol) or Taylor being the choice of names. Photo for @Fumbluff ;)

Surely Bow should be considered?
  • Options

T_C_E said:

I know that @T_C_E isn’t known for his fashion sense, but even he wouldn’t go for bow.
  • Options

T_C_E said:

I know that @T_C_E isn’t known for his fashion sense, but even he wouldn’t go for bow.
    That is horrible, I'd expect my own dogs to bite me if I tried o do that to them and rightly so. ;)
  • Options
    7+ years ago to this day I was asked to rescue this girl and her two sisters from a one bedroom flat in Kent. Still in touch with owner she has grown into a stunning lady.
  • Options
    Ever wondered what the younger generation are on about?

Liked this useful aide-memoire from the Daily Mirror. Rather disappointed there isn't a TIC '"tongue in cheek" which I would find most useful. Are there any other glaring omissions?

LOL Often mistaken for “lots of love” but is “laugh out loud”.
    OMG “oh my god”.
    ILY Careful on this one, it means “I love you”.
    TBH “to be honest”.
    TBT “Throwback Thursday”.
    TMI “too much information”.
    IKR When you, like, totally know what someone’s talking about - “I know, right”.
    IDC “I don’t care”.
    NSFW “not safe for work”
    FTW “for the win”, meaning something is good (or really bad if you’re being sarcy).
    IMO “in my opinion”.
    OMW “on my way”.
    LMAO The extreme cousin of LOL, this is “laughing my ass off”.
    FOMO “fear of missing out”.
    JOMO “joy of missing out”.
    TLDR For the more long-winded, things may be “too long, didn’t read”.
    AFAIK Sit right on the fence with this one – “as far as I know”.
    IYSWIM Nope, nothing to do with your swimming ability, “if you see what I mean”.
    SMH Tutting by text, it’s “shaking my head”.
    BFF This one spawned an array of merchandise aimed at “best friends forever”.
    BTW Just as an aside, this is “by the way”
    IRL “in real life.
    HBD “happy birthday”.
    HMU Want someone to get in touch? Then you’re asking them to “hit me up”.
    PPL When in doubt, remove all the vowels - this means “people”.
    OOTD “outfit of the day”.
    AMA Could be a dangerous statement... “ask me anything”.
    NM Usually the answer when you ask someone what they’re up to – “not much”.
    NVM Abbreviation of a placation - “never mind”.
    JK Use to avoid offence – “just kidding” or “joke”.
    NGL “not gonna lie”.
    YOLO Turns out James Bond was wrong, “you only live once”.
    OFC This is simply short for “of course”.
    BRB Like the shop sign – “be right back”.
    GTG Or not, with “got to go”.
    AML For someone special, this is “all my love”.
    WYD? “What you doing”
    ATM “at the moment”
    NBD “no big deal”.
    TIL “today I learned”.
    KK You’d think “OK” was already short enough, but KK means the same. Just don’t add another one...
    K Also means “OK” but usually used if someone is annoyed with whoever they send it to.
    NTS “Note to self”, stop using abbreviations.
    PDA For smooching couples on the bus having a “public display of affection”.
    ICYMI “in case you missed it”.
    WTF Impolite version of “what the fudge” – to show shock or confusion.