Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

That ref russell again...

13»

Comments

• I was standing about 5 rows behind you. I saw Solly put both hands up in front of his face or slightly to the side of his face.
    Personally, I'm certain the ball touched his hands and we can't say it's not hand to ball, when you have your hands up covering/by the side of your face.
    The fact that Solly didn't stop the ball with his hands, but it went through them (touching them) before hitting him in the face, is neither here nor there.
    It was still deliberate handball.
    If I'm wrong I'm wrong.
  • Watching in real time Anyone at the game thought it hit him in the face without touching his hands
    colin1961 said:

I don't rate Russell, but he was ok yesterday.
    Solly's first yellow was a vicious tackle, the most vicious tackle I've ever seen him make. Ten years ago, you would say what a wonderful tackle, but today it's outlawed. So the game's changed and it was a definite yellow.

The 2nd one, what I saw, being right behind Solly.
    Solly put both hands up, at face height and blocked the ball. Now he may have mainly blocked the ball with his face, but even a touch on his hand is hand to ball, as he had both arms raised. If I was ref I would have given a pen and a red card and that is what he did.

(Having watched the replay a few times, it's inconclusive as it happens too quickly, but the ref hasn't the luxury of a dozen replays).

So he guessed on the Solly decision then. First huge mistake.

He then shoved Solly to get him to leave the pitch. What would have happened if that was the other way round?

Hooiveld then hauls down Watt for the most blatent yellow card you'll ever see and he doesn't even give a free kick. Second huge mistake.

Clash of heads and he gives the ball to Millwall. Why no bounce up? Watt looked mystified. Another mistake.

Gregory was constantly fouling, backing in, sly digs off the ball and barely had a decision given against him.

Giving the Millwall goalscorer a chummy pat on the back after his celebration.

Etc etc

If that is ok in your eyes, I dread to think what poor is!

He was useless for the Cardiff game (ironically sending off Harriot was the only thing he got right that day) as well.

You misunderstand me. Solly got a yellow for pushing his forehead against their player after making a very very strong tackle, which was borderline ok these days.

He got a straight red for blocking the on goal shot, with both hands, which were raised in front of his face, to catch the ball. The ball went through his hands and smacked him in the face, but it was 100% deliberate handball, with both hands.

The fact that I can't make it out clearly on a TV replay, doesn't alter the fact of what I and the referee saw at the time. So no he didn't guess on the Solly decision.

Regarding pushing Solly & patting a Millwall player, I have to say I didn't see them.

Should he have red carded Millwall's no 5, possibly.

I think people are most annoyed about Solly's red, but he had to go I'm afraid.
    But Solly was not last man there was another on the line .....
    Last man does not count for hand ball I believe.

Looking at it in real time I thought penalty and red
  • I was standing about 5 rows behind you. I saw Solly put both hands up in front of his face or slightly to the side of his face.
    Personally, I'm certain the ball touched his hands and we can't say it's not hand to ball, when you have your hands up covering/by the side of your face.
    The fact that Solly didn't stop the ball with his hands, but it went through them (touching them) before hitting him in the face, is neither here nor there.
    It was still deliberate handball.
    If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

If you're wrong, I am also wrong as this is the same way it seemed to me (I wasn't standing in the same place admittedly!). The ref being shit doesn't mean it wasn't a penalty on this one occasion... sadly.
  • colin1961 said:

J BLOCK said:

End of the day solly deserved that red card and it was a pen, no question IMO . We can't blame the ref for what happened today

I didn't think Solly got booked for the 'vicious' tackle - which looked good to me but for pushing his face into Gregory so it looked like a head-butt. He could easily have been sent off for that bit of handbags because the crowd were all bawling 'off, off.'
    I didn't realise at the time it was a straight red for the handball but he had to go as it was a goal bound shot.
    I thought Russell let the game flow. He let Cousins off a few times for some tough tackling.
    The pertinent incident with Igor and their centre half was not as straightforward as everyone is making out. I think it would have been a harsh sending off and I am guessing that Igor dived when he felt the block but I have not seen the replay, so may be wrong.

Perhaps if you get the facts right we might take notice of your post the foul was on Watt
    It was Igor you plum
  • Spanner at work couldn't believe he didn't send their no.5 off.
  • I've heard he made an apology after to one of our players for making a mistake with the sending off. His assessor has marked him down for making 2 big mistakes and we are considering reporting him, not that it matters now.
  • I've heard he made an apology after to one of our players for making a mistake with the sending off. His assessor has marked him down for making 2 big mistakes and we are considering reporting him, not that it matters now.

Assume this is a joke
    If he really admitted to making a mistake then the red would be cancelled and Solly available tonight
  • Not a joke Paulie. Just what I was told.
  • I always thought the ref had to see it to give it. It doesnt matter if inconclusive. He couldn't have seen it so shouldn't have given it. But up to that point it was clear he would. We have grounds not to have this bloke ref us again. But we are only Charlton. If we were Man U it might be different. Not sure why the **** has anything against us, but he clearly does.

If true why did the fa stick with the decision and normally the ref won't have a game the following week to keep him out of the firing line.

Not saying your information is wrong it just seems weird that all normal FA protocol have not happened
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2015

Not a joke Paulie. Just what I was told.

If true why did the fa stick with the decision and normally the ref won't have a game the following week to keep him out of the firing line.

Not saying your information is wrong it just seems weird that all normal FA protocol have not happened
    There wasn't clear footage showing it didn't hit his hand so no grounds for appeal.(Unlike the Shearer incident where they ludicrously overruled the ref on account the footage was inconclusive! Without asking for our internal video).
  • Was there clear footage showing it did? The fact there is no clear footage is something to do with the speed it was approaching his head. It is natural to raise your hands to protect yourself, but it looked like solly got the double whammy of being too late and getting sent off anyway. I'd like to kick a ball at the ref's face at point blank range and see what he does.

There wasn't clear footage showing it didn't hit his hand so no grounds for appeal.(Unlike the Shearer incident where they ludicrously overruled the ref on account the footage was inconclusive! Without asking for our internal video).
    Surely footage is not needed if the ref admits he made a mistake
  • I'd probably miss and get him in his whatsits, but would still be grateful for the opportunity to try.
  • I'd probably miss and get him in his whatsits, but would still be grateful for the opportunity to try.

Hopefully, restart with a drop ball.

Hopefully, restart with a drop ball.
    Russell doesn't do drop balls - he just allows the team he's favouring to regain posession.
  • So we have to accept a potentially broken nose when the ball comes towards our face, and we can't protect ourselves?? If Sols had done a Steven Taylor and dived for it then faked it hitting him in the chest I can see the need for the red AND pen, but he's got a fat lip, the guy was a couple of yards away, and if his hands weren't there it was hitting his face, still resulting in no goal. Seems harsh to give a pen and red for that in my eyes.
  • edited April 2015
    This stems from referees not playing the game. They basically don’t know what the natural reaction is in these situations, because they have never thrust themselves into blocking a ball at point blank range that is heading swiftly and painfully for their face.

The problem with refs is that it attracts a certain type of person. That isn’t to say these people are the majority, but there is a sizeable number. My 14 year old son recently passed the refs course. We wrote to the league to get him some games. He can only ref games that are a year below him or under. We were told that the Saturday- younger matches was full up. I know from when he played in these matches that there are a lot of senior refs doing these – why don’t they use these as refereeing development opportunities and make the senior refs ref adult games? Then he plays on a Sunday and the refs organiser for the same league pretty much said he has to make himself fully available to be considered for that. So that would mean giving up playing. He won’t do that, but it helps your referee career if you don’t play the game. Why cant they see how wrong that is?

You can’t challenge a ref and they don’t have to explain themselves to anybody other than their own. So you can see why we get so many useless ones. They can be doing it all wrong but won’t listen to anybody who tells them. I'd wager Russell isn't much of a footballer!