Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

That ref russell again...

Comments

• The only thing I can think of, his mother in law supports Charlton.
  • edited April 2015
    I don't rate Russell, but he was ok yesterday.
    Solly's first yellow was a vicious tackle, the most vicious tackle I've ever seen him make. Ten years ago, you would say what a wonderful tackle, but today it's outlawed. So the game's changed and it was a definite yellow.

The 2nd one, what I saw, being right behind Solly.
    Solly put both hands up, at face height and blocked the ball. Now he may have mainly blocked the ball with his face, but even a touch on his hand is hand to ball, as he had both arms raised. If I was ref I would have given a pen and a red card and that is what he did.

(Having watched the replay a few times, it's inconclusive as it happens too quickly, but the ref hasn't the luxury of a dozen replays).
  • I don't rate Russell, but he was ok yesterday.
    Solly's first yellow was a vicious tackle, the most vicious tackle I've ever seen him make. Ten years ago, you would say what a wonderful tackle, but today it's outlawed. So the game's changed and it was a definite yellow.

Solly put both hands up, at face height and blocked the ball. Now he may have mainly blocked the ball with his face, but even a touch on his hand is hand to ball, as he had both arms raised. If I was ref I would have given a pen and a red card and that is what he did.

(Having watched the replay a few times, it's inconclusive as it happens too quickly, but the ref hasn't the luxury of a dozen replays).

This

If Solly was a Millwall player stopping a shot from us then we would have all been shouting for a red.

Agreed Russell is a twat and bottled the 2nd yellow and let go the constant backing in from there No9 though
  • Sorry he has to SEE it hit Solly's hand. He was quite far away and to the left of Chris in a crowded area of the pitch. He guessed, or worse, made a tainted decision.
  • This is the ref, who before the use of the foam, paced out 10 steps and then let the Cardiff players stand a yard in front.
  • If Russell is as bad as everyone says he is why oh why is he still allowed to ref a game.
  • This is the ref, who before the use of the foam, paced out 10 steps and then let the Cardiff players stand a yard in front.

I think he actually only paced out 9 steps which makes it even worse. Either way the Cardiff wall was 9 yards at most.
  • I didn't think Solly got booked for the 'vicious' tackle - which looked good to me but for pushing his face into Gregory so it looked like a head-butt. He could easily have been sent off for that bit of handbags because the crowd were all bawling 'off, off.'
    I didn't realise at the time it was a straight red for the handball but he had to go as it was a goal bound shot.
    I thought Russell let the game flow. He let Cousins off a few times for some tough tackling.
    The pertinent incident with Igor and their centre half was not as straightforward as everyone is making out. I think it would have been a harsh sending off and I am guessing that Igor dived when he felt the block but I have not seen the replay, so may be wrong.
  • I didn't think Solly got booked for the 'vicious' tackle - which looked good to me but for pushing his face into Gregory so it looked like a head-butt. He could easily have been sent off for that bit of handbags because the crowd were all bawling 'off, off.'
    I didn't realise at the time it was a straight red for the handball but he had to go as it was a goal bound shot.
    I thought Russell let the game flow. He let Cousins off a few times for some tough tackling.
    The pertinent incident with Igor and their centre half was not as straightforward as everyone is making out. I think it would have been a harsh sending off and I am guessing that Igor dived when he felt the block but I have not seen the replay, so may be wrong.

a goal bound shot that HIT HIS FACE, since when was that a straight red
  • Sponsored links:

If inconclusive then it's not a pen or red card. Just seen it on tv and frankly think they're called it wrong. Could understand why however so many other poor decisions including the fact that their no 5 should not have been on the pitch to score winner wouldblead me to believe that perhaps though inconclusive he decided to go with what he wanted to see! The ref was diabolical and in no way impartial.
  • I still reckon that ref deserves some sort of unpleasant punishment for yesterday.
  • I still reckon that ref deserves some sort of unpleasant punishment for yesterday.

Put him in a room with Solly and Luzon and lock the door
  • Hang on there for one minute. This was the ref who didn't give us a penalty against Cardiff when the player dived and saved the ball with both arms away from his body, and he was standing 5 yards away. He did the no penalty wave of the arms before anyone even time to appeal. He was not the ref who got chinned at millwall a few years ago, but you could tell the home fans worried him alot.
  • Even the scum fans noticed:

Never heard of him, but did anyone else see him during the warm up, with a big smile on his face laughing, joking and shaking hands with Dunney, Bailey and The Hoff. Even had time to shake Robbos hand by the tunnel as he walked off. Must admit never seen anything like it especially at the Den.

After the Cardiff game I saw him in the west stand car park laughing and joking with one of Cardiff's backroom staff and shaking hands with him like the were best mates. What happened yesterday with Millwall players when he was laughing and joking with them doesn't surprise me. He is a disgrace to human kind and his whole family. I would be ashamed to have this man as my father. This man wouldn't be capable of reffing one of those games you see between 5 year old kids on Blackheath let alone such an important London derby in the Championship.
    Drama queen. You're a joke of a man mate, coming out with comments like that.
  • Something ain't right though. When a multitude of decisions go the opposition's way, and the official is seen being more than friendly with opposition players... something is wrong.

Yes we might have been sh*te but it's still far from right.

Welcome to our world. Fridays ref might have favoured Millwall, 99 times out of a 100 it's the other way around. Refs seem to turn up and decide they won't be intimidated, but go so far the other way it's unreal. You had a shit ref, so what, get over it.

Never heard of him, but did anyone else see him during the warm up, with a big smile on his face laughing, joking and shaking hands with Dunney, Bailey and The Hoff. Even had time to shake Robbos hand by the tunnel as he walked off. Must admit never seen anything like it especially at the Den.

After the Cardiff game I saw him in the west stand car park laughing and joking with one of Cardiff's backroom staff and shaking hands with him like the were best mates. What happened yesterday with Millwall players when he was laughing and joking with them doesn't surprise me. He is a disgrace to human kind and his whole family. I would be ashamed to have this man as my father. This man wouldn't be capable of reffing one of those games you see between 5 year old kids on Blackheath let alone such an important London derby in the Championship.
    7.00 am on a Sunday morning? Haven't you got a trophy to polish?
    Early pikie gets the hedgehog
  • edited April 2015

Something ain't right though. When a multitude of decisions go the opposition's way, and the official is seen being more than friendly with opposition players... something is wrong.

Welcome to our world. Fridays ref might have favoured Millwall, 99 times out of a 100 it's the other way around. Refs seem to turn up and decide they won't be intimidated, but go so far the other way it's unreal. You had a shit ref, so what, get over it.
    I'm over it but I find it bizarre that this fella is still a Football League ref after seasons of below par officiating.

It's the CAFC way that we get our sh*ttest ref performance of the season coinciding with what will likely be our best chance of turning you lot over on your own turf for many seasons. Even a Norwich fan wouldn't have enough fingers and toes to count how many poor/wrong decisions he made.
  • I wrote after the Cardiff game that I thought this bloke was bent - as in corrupt. Wasn't there Friday but nothing seems to have changed.
    I reckon we let him down for a massive Acca one week and he's never got over it.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2015

Something ain't right though. When a multitude of decisions go the opposition's way, and the official is seen being more than friendly with opposition players... something is wrong.

I'm over it but I find it bizarre that this fella is still a Football League ref after seasons of below par officiating.

It's the CAFC way that we get our sh*ttest ref performance of the season coinciding with what will likely be our best chance of turning you lot over on your own turf for many seasons. Even a Norwich fan wouldn't have enough fingers and toes to count how many poor/wrong decisions he made.

7.00 am on a Sunday morning? Haven't you got a trophy to polish?
    He has to start getting the maps out for away trips to Scunthorpe, Burton and Shrewsbury
  • They are having an open bus celebration around Deptford and Surrey Quays at 2pm! ;)
  • edited April 2015

I don't rate Russell, but he was ok yesterday.

So he guessed on the Solly decision then. First huge mistake.

He then shoved Solly to get him to leave the pitch. What would have happened if that was the other way round?

Hooiveld then hauls down Watt for the most blatent yellow card you'll ever see and he doesn't even give a free kick. Second huge mistake.

Clash of heads and he gives the ball to Millwall. Why no bounce up? Watt looked mystified. Another mistake.

Gregory was constantly fouling, backing in, sly digs off the ball and barely had a decision given against him.

Giving the Millwall goalscorer a chummy pat on the back after his celebration.

Etc etc

If that is ok in your eyes, I dread to think what poor is!

He was useless for the Cardiff game (ironically sending off Harriot was the only thing he got right that day) as well.

You misunderstand me. Solly got a yellow for pushing his forehead against their player after making a very very strong tackle, which was borderline ok these days.

He got a straight red for blocking the on goal shot, with both hands, which were raised in front of his face, to catch the ball. The ball went through his hands and smacked him in the face, but it was 100% deliberate handball, with both hands.

The fact that I can't make it out clearly on a TV replay, doesn't alter the fact of what I and the referee saw at the time. So no he didn't guess on the Solly decision.

Regarding pushing Solly & patting a Millwall player, I have to say I didn't see them.

Should he have red carded Millwall's no 5, possibly.

I think people are most annoyed about Solly's red, but he had to go I'm afraid.
  • I don't think he's the only ref who would have sent off Solly and given the penalty. If it was wrong... well, other referees may have made the same mistake. It would very much have looked like Solly put his hands up to block the goal bound shot, and perhaps then gone on to hit him in the face if struck hard enough. Certainly had it been the other way around we'd have been shouting for a penalty and a red card for any opposition player.

THAT SAID... he was fucking awful otherwise (ref, not Solly). The Number 5 could have gone on more than one occasion for a second yellow, the drop ball situation that he literally just gave to their keeper, a couple of nasty challenges he didn't even give as fouls... he had a terrible, terrible game.
  • He should be forced in front of a recording television camera to explain why he didn't send off that number 5.

He then shoved Solly to get him to leave the pitch. What would have happened if that was the other way round?

Hooiveld then hauls down Watt for the most blatent yellow card you'll ever see and he doesn't even give a free kick. Second huge mistake.

Clash of heads and he gives the ball to Millwall. Why no bounce up? Watt looked mystified. Another mistake.

Gregory was constantly fouling, backing in, sly digs off the ball and barely had a decision given against him.

Etc etc

He was useless for the Cardiff game (ironically sending off Harriot was the only thing he got right that day) as well.

You misunderstand me. Solly got a yellow for pushing his forehead against their player after making a very very strong tackle, which was borderline ok these days.

He got a straight red for blocking the on goal shot, with both hands, which were raised in front of his face, to catch the ball. The ball went through his hands and smacked him in the face, but it was 100% deliberate handball, with both hands.

The fact that I can't make it out clearly on a TV replay, doesn't alter the fact of what I and the referee saw at the time. So no he didn't guess on the Solly decision.

Regarding pushing Solly & patting a Millwall player, I have to say I didn't see them.

I think it is clear that the ball did not hit his left hand so not "both".

https://us.v-cdn.net/5000498/uploads/FileUpload/5b/c3179142044f0b47e9f1524e07fb48.jpg

I can't see how it would have bounced with such force if it ricoched off an arm. Ball seems central to his body and Chris's imediate reaction decides it for me.

Etc etc

Pushing his forehead in itself could have been a red (I did not see it!) however cant understand how the penalty was so clear to you? Solly clearly raised his arms probably because the shot was straight at his face. If you are suggesting it hit both arms on way through then this act did not prevent a goal but merely took some of the power out of the ball hitting his face. Can understand why Solly looked to protect himself and can understand why the referee (and yourself) might have interpreted differently at the time but does not make it right nor does it excuse his complete inept performance. The fact you cant make it out on tv replay merely underlines the fact that it was inconclusive and perhaps you both with hindsight got it wrong.!!

Etc etc

Whilst not wishing to prolong this "did he or didn't he" thread , I'm confused by your claim that " he got a straight red for blocking the on goal shot with both hands " whilst stating that" the ball went through his hands ".....

Surely the latter contradicts the former unless our Chris was temporarily suffering from an acute case of stigmata ?

( No disrespect meant to Christian Lifers )