Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Blackpool vs Charlton | Tue 17 Mar 2015 | 7:45pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions,News & Views

Blackpool v Charlton Athletic
7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: David Webb (Lancashire)

Introduction

With the end of the season coming ever nearer it seems as though Charlton seem to be heading for a comfortable mid-table placing in a season which has seen fans dreaming of promotion in one week and then worrying about relegation just a few months later… Defeat against Blackburn Rovers all but ended Charlton’s hopes for a last minute dash to the Play-Offs… Of course there are nine matches left this term and with our week beginning against opposition from Lancashire, it now falls to Charlton to make the trip to the North West where they find themselves facing struggling: Blackpool, the season may still be going on and the players may still have league position to fight for but for the fans, well it’s a deserved trip to the seaside.

The Opposition
Much has been made of the foreign Chairman in the Championship this season with Charlton, Leeds and Watford all coming under scrutiny for the way their club is ran, yet it is with Blackpool and their English owner that has attracted all the headlines… Relegated from the Premier League just four years ago, Blackpool broke from tradition, and rather than desperate spending to see an instant to the top flight, the Seasiders, well they havent spent at all, with cut backs all over the club, they’ve naturally struggled and despite surviving relegation from the Championship on the last day of the season last year (courtesy of a 3-0 defeat against Charlton), it appears as though relegation is only a matter of time this season and the questions around the club are: “How far will the club fall” rather than: “We’ll surely bounce back next season”.

Of course as a Charlton fan you could offer very little sympathy to our opposition this Tuesday night… Blackpool’s plight could become our own one day so we have to be careful how much we chuckle, yet the Addicks will again be denied a small measure of revenge seeing it was Blackpool who relegated Charlton to League One in 2009, and with it mathematically impossible for Charlton to relegate their opponents tomorrow, they could indeed hammer one more nail in the Blackpool coffin.

Player to Watch
Known to many on here as Boris Johnson… David Perkins has long caused problems for Charlton teams dating back to the yearly Football for a Fiver match, the opposition at the time were Barnsley and the Addicks were in their first Championship season back from League One… Ultimately they’d go on to lose 1-0 and with Perkins pulling the strings from Midfield, Charlton never got close to taking any from the match.

Fast forward to last season and again the opposition would be Barnsley… Taking an early 2-0 lead at Oakwell, Barnsley looked out of sight as they tormented the South Londoners with the two quick goals, that day took a thankful change as Perkins would go off injured ensuring that the Addicks didn’t just salvage a 2-2 draw yet the away fans would also get to see academy product: Jordan Cousins making his league debut.

Line-Up
Quite simply, with the Addicks safe in mid-table, neither going up nor down I reckon our Manager will begin to experiment ahead of the summer

Henderson
Solly – Gomez – Johnson – Fox
Gudmundsson – Buyens – Cousins – Eagles
Watt – Church

Prediction
Blackpool 0-2 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.

This was my original prediction... then I remembered our Norwich win at the start of the season when their press thought it would be a formality and so changed my mind
  • This will be tougher than a lot of people are thinking. Blackpool have given up away from home but are still trying in front of their own fans on a shocking pitch. Can see it ending either 1-1 or 2-1 to us.
  • Got a horrible feeling about this one. I think we are going to get beaten. 2-1 defeat.
  • 2-1 loss. It's the Charlton way!
  • A positive start should give a comfortable win, but we do have to watch Barnsley Blackpool Boris as he always does well against us (or maybe it's his hair that makes him stand out!)

I wonder if the dodgy pitch could affect the team selection, would Solly be rested for this one?
  • Solly could do with a rest and that pitch won't help his knees, Johnson went a long time without playing and his performance on Saturday maybe he could do with a game off.

Diarra needs a game and again that pitch is not conducive to Buyens game.

Watching Blackpool on the FLS, they are ripe for Igor and Watt

Henderson
    Gomez – TBH - Bikey – Fox
    Gudmundsson – Diarra – Cousins – Eagles
    Watt – Igor
  • Henderson
    Gomez tbh diarra fox
    Gudmundsson Buyens cousins Eagles
    Watt igor

1-1
  • I have got a bad feeling about this. I think Blackpool will nick it 2-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• COYA!
  • I feel the pitch could be the great leveller here. Draw
  • we'll get stuck in the mud and loose
  • I want to see what Eagles can do with a start and would like to see more of Diarra. Is Jackson really injurer or is he just being phased out in the least disruptive way possible.
    Can't see past a 5-0 defeat. Harriot OG hat-trick.
  • I have a horrible feeling about this one too. We should win comfortable but I suspect we won't. Check out my prediction league position and you will see that this is absolutely nothing to worry about as I couldn't pick my nose never mind a winner!
  • it doesn't matter we are safe

2-2 humdinger

come on brighton
  • Kap10 said:

Solly could do with a rest and that pitch won't help his knees, Johnson went a long time without playing and his performance on Saturday maybe he could do with a game off.

Trusting that perceptive comment is tongue in cheek, what with all his accurate passing!
  • On that pitch there can be no pretty football, let us hope our players do not get bogged down, only players from last season will have experience of playing on this type of surface
  • We could also do with Reading winning in the FA cup tonight, then they put out there reserve team on Saturday as they did against Watford. Good start for Reading
  • Sponsored links:

• Kap10 said:

Solly could do with a rest and that pitch won't help his knees, Johnson went a long time without playing and his performance on Saturday maybe he could do with a game off.

Trusting that perceptive comment is tongue in cheek, what with all his accurate passing!
    that pitch is not conducive to Buyens alleged game.
  • And Ansah to appear after playing 90mins just the day before?

The team were probably already on their way to Blackpool when the U21s were playing Crewe

2-2 humdinger

come on brighton

Bloody does matter I have a few hundred quid on top half finish.

2-2 humdinger

come on brighton

I've got tomorrow in an accumulator too- which could elicit a few hundred
  • Can't see us losing this one. We'll bounce back from the Blackburn game and win this one 2-0. Goals from Igor and Johann. Why do people have a bad feeling about every game we play?
  • I need the addicks to get back on winning ways as I had them as a top half finish for an accumulator so 12th and above will be good, 2-1 addicks...match thread from 7 pm....yes I'm back!! COYR's
  • Away win. But then again have been kicked in the nuts so many times over the years by the Addicks, who knows?

0-2
  • And Ansah to appear after playing 90mins just the day before?

The team were probably already on their way to Blackpool when the U21s were playing Crewe

Travelling up on Tuesday morning

2-2 humdinger

come on brighton

I have £100 to win the league, I think you have more chance than me