Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Game of Thrones

Comments

• edited September 2022
    Something worth keeping in mind…

The Game of Thrones story/TV series spans about seven/eight years, if you count the time between Robert’s death (given as 298 AC) and the death that takes place in the final episode (given as 305 AC).

By comparison, the book that this new series is based spans the course of around 25-30 years if you look at the timespan between the beginning of Viserys’ reign (listed as 103 AC) and the natural conclusion of the Fire & Blood book around 130 AC.

Given that it is likely only going to be 3-5 series total. There’s going to a lot of time jumping, especially in the first series while the stage is set for later drama.
  • edited September 2022
    Got a bit silly again last night.

Why did two of the most recognisable people in Westeros decide to (almost) have sex while surrounded by their own people? She even shouted out Daemon's name while they were in there. You can understand Daemon might have motives but what are Rhaenyra's? Are we supposed to believe she's just thick?

Followed by a scene where Rhaenyra denies it to Alicent, which ultimately proves pointless as Daemon confirms it to the King. 

King Viserys "Five days" speech as he sacked The Hand, a big scene which lacked drama and was cheesily written. 

Shame to follow a good episode with that one.

• I found the episode a bit uncomfortable. I was straight onto IMDB to check ages.

Next week takes a 10 year jump I believe so hopefully the pace/story will speed up.
  • WSS said:
    I found the episode a bit uncomfortable. I was straight onto IMDB to check ages.

Next week takes a 10 year jump I believe so hopefully the pace/story will speed up.
    Yeah i was checking the ages too to be fair, disagree with Chunes thought it was a good episode overall. 
  • Daemon did it on purpose, as later hinted at in the scene in the throne room. It was a “let me marry her” play, since she is the current heir to the throne.

Rhaenyra’s not dumb but she is believably naive, especially with respect to all of this stuff.

I was surprised (and relieved) to find out that the actress is 22! To be honest, the weirder scene for me was what happened directly afterwards with Criston.
  • I think Rhaenyra is also sick of her position in court, lonely, and desperate for some attention/action - Daemon had his own reasons as Callum alluded to but I also think he just generally thinks he is untouchable and doesn't care if he or Rhaenyra are recognised or not.
  • It was a smooth but gross play by Daemon 

He knows the value people place on rumours and tales and made something to be speculated over, successfully 
  • Progressing nicely now.

Smash smash smash
  • edited September 2022
    I thought last night’s episode was disappointing. 

I can handle the time skips when it makes sense but there are three characters in particular who it felt like they deserved more than just to be a plot device to further other character arcs.

There was so much more interesting stuff we could’ve seen but the whole episode felt rushed, like squeezing three or four episodes into one.
  • Agree felt very Benioff & Weiss to suddenly rush a section. 

A 10 plus year time jump with only some actors replaced is very confusing too. Ser Criston Cole literally has had a haircut, that's it... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Watched 5 episodes and still feeling like I am waiting for something to happen. Its so slow that its bodering on tedious.
  • Enjoyed that episode. A lot of tension building now.
  • Yeah, really enjoyed this one. Due for another big time jump soon aren't we?
  • WSS said:
    Yeah, really enjoyed this one. Due for another big time jump soon aren't we?
    That's the last time we see these child actors now, I believe its time-skipping to all the kids being teenagers/young adults.
  • I enjoyed it but the episode as general was dark AF. Found it hard to see on my little laptop screen! Did think the young actors were all really good though especially
  • A lot of the time skipping is due to the nature of the original book which was presented as a historical record not an actual novel like the original ASOIAF, so whole episodes here are expanding on single pages/paragraphs.

They have also decided to focus pretty much exclusively on the Targaryens whereas in the book there were was a bit more focus on things going on outside of the court politics.

It's definitely starting to come together and hopefully the actual "Dance of the Dragons" will be worth the wait.
  • Best episode so far, I assume the King is dead in the next episode as he looks pretty unwell at the moment!
  • definitely another time jump coming.
    Trailer for the next ep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4LZ-eepkGM
  • I’m enjoying it but apart from Daemon and the King I don’t see that this series has the characters building. Probably because you get used to seeing one face and then it’s changed to another actor. I think as a viewer you need to build a watchers rapport with characters and this is much harder with the time jumps.
  • So I have just started the originals 
    I'm finding it a bit hard going if I'm honest. 
  • Sponsored links:

• House of darkness.

Decent episode, best so far... At least I think so, bit hard to tell shrouded in black for the majority of it 😅

Hopefully continues at a similar pacing and level of happenings, feel like it's growing into its own show more now.
    Stick with it if you can, i think the first season starts slow but near the end it should get you hooked. It wont be for everyone but i would recommend seeing out the first season then you will have a better idea, first few are alot slower. 
  • Good episode again. Paddy Considine done a fantastic job playing the King.
    Watch it, then watch it again or start reading the books and an awful lot of it will make a lot more sense and you will have a sense of depth 
    Stick with it if you can, i think the first season starts slow but near the end it should get you hooked. It wont be for everyone but i would recommend seeing out the first season then you will have a better idea, first few are alot slower. 
    Seems to be the case with the new series too, it started slowly but a lot better/more interesting in the last few weeks 
  • This series overall hasn't properly grabbed my interest (I've still enjoyed it) but I thought this episode was brilliant - Paddy absolutely smashed his part and there were some seriously moving moments that really brought a tragedy aspect to the whole show. Best episode so far.
  • What I really like about this series is the absolute power Dragons and silver hair gives you, the protagonists recognise this and act accordingly, other than the king.  It shows the decent towards the Mad King and the level of contempt with which they hold everyone else.
  • edited October 2022

• Nicely poised for the second series.
  • I was dreading how that could have looked on screen after how well it was written in fire and blood but it was excellent and I'm duly excited for the second series and where that will take us. In one way its a ton more brutal than Game of Thrones and that didn't hold back on the more ruthless stuff from the book. 

The actors have been excellent, even Rhys Ifans toned down the hamminess of Otto. Matt Smith, Emma D'Arcy and especially Eve Best have been class and the always excellent Paddy Considine acted his skin and limbs off literally and figuratively as Viserys.