Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Game of Thrones

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2022
    I do enjoy these Alt Shift X videos. Helps me pick up small details that I didn't notice myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmfX6RE2WAQ
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    It's nice to be back in the GoT world and I'll definitely be watching every episode, but wow - has the writing quality diminished. GoT was full of clever lines and witty dialogue and the characters seemed fascinating straight from episode 1. A dwarf lord... Child-murdering lord and his sister who are also lovers... Bastard son of the north heading off somewhere mysterious... Ned Stark taking dangerous-sounding job in city. So many alluring stories being set up. 

Thought that HoD was stunted and just awkward in parts. And the characters seemed shallow and in places inconsistent. Hope it gets better. If it was a standalone show without the huge draw of being born from GoT I wonder if many would be tuning back in. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    It's nice to be back in the GoT world and I'll definitely be watching every episode, but wow - has the writing quality diminished. GoT was full of clever lines and witty dialogue and the characters seemed fascinating straight from episode 1. A dwarf lord... Child-murdering lord and his sister, who are also lovers... Bastard son of the north heading off somewhere mysterious... Ned Stark taking dangerous-sounding job in city. So many alluring stories being set up. 

Thought that HoD was stunted and just awkward in places. And the characters seemed shallow and in places inconsistent. Hope it gets better. If it was a standalone show without the huge draw of being born from GoT I doubt many would be tuning back in. 
    Having read the book I am optimistic that things will pick up pace rather quickly now the basic set up is out of the way.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Thought it was pretty good for a pilot, trying to live up to the expectations etc. Little bit of everything to get you interested enough to want to watch the next one
    Wasn’t a pilot though was it. it was episode 1 of 10
    My sincere apologies for labelling the episode incorrectly sir. I will strive to do better 
  • Options
    edited August 2022

• Options
    Dizzle said:
    Dizzle said:
    Thought it was pretty good for a pilot, trying to live up to the expectations etc. Little bit of everything to get you interested enough to want to watch the next one
    Wasn’t a pilot though was it. it was episode 1 of 10
    My sincere apologies for labelling the episode incorrectly sir. I will strive to do better 
    That’s not good enough

😉
  • Options
    Can't get into the new series at all.
  • Options
    Can't get into the new series at all.
    I'm finding the same. Can't say what it is about it that's leaving me cold, but I haven't warmed to it and  I'm beginning to think I've simply had enough of that sort of thing. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    The characters are uninteresting, the dialogue doesn't delight in the way GoT did and the stories are predictable so far. Pretty dry affair all-round.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    The characters are uninteresting, the dialogue doesn't delight in the way GoT did and the stories are predictable so far. Pretty dry affair all-round.
    I like Rhaenyra and Daemon, both have a proper Targaryen vibe to me. Everyone else however is pretty disappointing.

Otto is the most frustrating - I feel like he's supposed to be a Littlefinger type but he generally just seems weak, always pulling a sad face and seeming a bit useless. 

The Crab feeder character they teased at the end of Ep 2 seemed interesting though - he looked freaky and deranged and I loved it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paddy Considine is one of my favourite actors, but he is so unsuited to this role that he just comes across as ridiculous. Matt Smith just annoys me in this. Not sure I will bother with the rest.
  • Options
    I'm enjoying it personally. It does feel slow but that there's something brewing behind it all. Agree that the dialogue isn't the 10/10 that GoT had in it's early seasons, but it's better than the late seasons of GoT (who completed abandoned any pretence of trying) and the scenes are serving their purpose to progress the story.

Otto is definitely more understated but he's already putting pieces in place for his family to seize more influence - to the detriment of others. In that sense, he strikes me as more of a meek Tywin Lannister than an outright schemer like Littlefinger.
  • Options
    Great third episode
  • Options
    I'm enjoying it personally. It does feel slow but that there's something brewing behind it all. Agree that the dialogue isn't the 10/10 that GoT had in it's early seasons, but it's better than the late seasons of GoT (who completed abandoned any pretence of trying) and the scenes are serving their purpose to progress the story.

Otto is definitely more understated but he's already putting pieces in place for his family to seize more influence - to the detriment of others. In that sense, he strikes me as more of a meek Tywin Lannister than an outright schemer like Littlefinger.
    I think (whilst very fun to watch) Littlefinger was a bit too obviously evil and back-stabby in GOT and Otto is an attempt at a similarly scheming character who is at least trying to hide it.

In the same sort of way, Viserys is milquetoast and a bit weak by design, he's not supposed to be a very good king or strong personality (compared to Daemon), although I can see why it feels like a waste of Paddy Considine.

I think it's deliberately going for a different feel and tone than GOT but I can definitely see why it's not going to be to everyone's taste.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Enjoyed last night's episode. A nice step up in pace.

Agree about Otto not having much too him. Seems like poor casting. Another actor might have brought more to the role. 
  • Options
    if the last one was war of the roses, this one is a bit Tudor like
  • Options
    deffo a slow starter, just done ep3 and improving, the king seems to make a lot of the right 'wrong' decisions..
  • Options
    Disappointed we didn't get a show down with Daemon and the Crab Feeder. 
    Agree. That felt very lazy.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Other than some ham fisted "come out!!! Where are youuuuuu!!!!" acting  right at the start and the sudden jump forward. Was a decent episode.

A fair amount of foreshadowing, it's growing on me.

Having the original GOT theme at the start annoys the hell out of me. come on guys, give us another belter to hum!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree its growing on me and episode 3 was alot better, i did think the first couple were a bit slow but looking back GOT didn't grab you straight away as they needed to build it up. 

Been watching each episode explained by Deep Geek on youtube 10 minutes each one which has helped tie a few things together so would recommend if you get the chance. 
  • Options
    Agree its growing on me and episode 3 was alot better, i did think the first couple were a bit slow but looking back GOT didn't grab you straight away as they needed to build it up. 

Been watching each episode explained by Deep Geek on youtube 10 minutes each one which has helped tie a few things together so would recommend if you get the chance. 
    I dunno, as Chunes has rightly stated above the first episode of GoT had loads to grab your attention and make you want to watch the second episode immediately.
  • Options
    I’ve enjoyed it so far but I can’t help but notice the writing is a bit shoddy. 

There’s apparently been a 3-year war between Daemon and the Crab Feeder, how is that possible when you have an army and a dragon? 
  • Options

There’s apparently been a 3-year war between Daemon and the Crab Feeder, how is that possible when you have an army and a dragon? 
    That's a good point. The Crab Feeder seemed to only have about 60 soldiers as well. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Crabfeeder is small fry compared to what is probably coming down the pipe. He ended up being more of a character development opportunity for Daemon than any kind of main villain.

The only part of the episode that felt too “late season GOT” to me was all of the arrows missing Daemon although I guess you can explain it away, the conditions weren’t suited etc etc

Otherwise I feel as though people (in general, not just on here) are nitpicking really heavily, almost like we all ended up with too many scars from the botched main series!
  • Options

And the war was won in 10 minutes! 

I’m not really feeling it yet, the jumping forward in time  feels lazy and I’m guessing most of the half decent English actors were all used up in the main Game of Thrones series’ because some of the quality of acting is shocking. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I think The Crabfeeder couldn’t be drawn from the caves which are easily defended. Doesn’t quite explain how that strategy was also winning the war but that’s all we were told. I think I agree that the Crabfeeder character was purely a vehicle for a non political, inconsequential battle scene to develop Daemon. Several other characters emerging that I get the feeling will be significant. One is the lad on crutches with what appears to be cerebral palsy who asked the ladies of the court to let him sit with them to sit out the hunt. Strange cameo if he isn’t a feature character. I see him as perhaps this series Tyrion / Bran amalgamation. The other is of course Ser Criston. He’s our new John Snow. On the whole I’m quite enjoying it. Can’t see it rivalling GoT but not much could.
  • Options
    I think The Crabfeeder couldn’t be drawn from the caves which are easily defended. Doesn’t quite explain how that strategy was also winning the war but that’s all we were told. I think I agree that the Crabfeeder character was purely a vehicle for a non political, inconsequential battle scene to develop Daemon. Several other characters emerging that I get the feeling will be significant. One is the lad on crutches with what appears to be cerebral palsy who asked the ladies of the court to let him sit with them to sit out the hunt. Strange cameo if he isn’t a feature character. I see him as perhaps this series Tyrion / Bran amalgamation. The other is of course Ser Criston. He’s our new John Snow. On the whole I’m quite enjoying it. Can’t see it rivalling GoT but not much could.
    No disrespect, but you could just watch it on its own merit without trying to compare characters. I don't mean to be rude, it is possible of course its been done to mirror it in places but surely just take it for what it is as its 200 years before so no correlation at this point, although things will add up as we go along so you might be right still.

I agree i think Crabfeeder was more about developing Daemon. 
  • Options
    No disrespect, but you could just watch it on its own merit without trying to compare characters. I don't mean to be rude, it is possible of course its been done to mirror it in places but surely just take it for what it is as its 200 years before so no correlation at this point, although things will add up as we go along so you might be right still.

I agree i think Crabfeeder was more about developing Daemon. 
    Fair enough but when characters emerge with certain characteristics that jump out as similar or at least sympathetic then I already have lost the ability to watch it for it’s own merits.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

And the war was won in 10 minutes! 

I’m not really feeling it yet, the jumping forward in time  feels lazy and I’m guessing most of the half decent English actors were all used up in the main Game of Thrones series’ because some of the quality of acting is shocking. 
    The guy being fed to the crabs at the start and the Seasnake's son were both horrendously bad.