Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Humble Pie time

Comments

• Uboat said:

Guy Luzon reminds of the teacher whose lessons you enjoyed because he was so eccentric you were laughing half the time. Did anyone notice he threw in a few new moves tonight, including one enormous star jump.

You can't argue with the results though, so well done, Guy.

He was also flirting outrageously with the fourth official throughout the game!

He's great to watch and i've warmed to him more than i ever did to Bob Peeters but that doesn't mean that he wasn't always lined up for the job or that he's not a "puppet".
  • edited March 2015
    I'll say one thing for him at least he smiles and at the very least we're going to be able to have some fun on here with him with all these Internet memes or whatever they're called.

Actually, that's two things but you know what I'm getting at.
  • What I find slightly irritating is the idea that all he has done is pick the players in their right positions, and then jump around by the touchline.

Getting the most out of your team, nullifying the opponent's threats, this is where the manager/head coach earns his money.

Also has to motivate the players and get them playing as a team.
  • I remember heading to the Brentford game with zero expectations thinking if we lose maybe we'll get rid of him...couldn't be more wrong.

The quality of football has been excellent the past 3 games, long may it continue.
  • and he waved to the crowd as he left the field.

swoon.
  • So much pie being consumed. I wonder where those who weren't coming again are these days ? Must feel so stupid.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2015
    shirty5 said:

Simple game, over complicated by many. Play players in their best positions, then amended it if you have to. Oh what could have been if we had this squad back in September.

Yep, any euphoria/relief over recent results is tempered by the realisation that it's been a wasted season, unless you count it as a learning exercise for the owner. You could also take the long-term view that's it's a slow building process, but I don't think football is that predictable years ahead at our level.

Why did it take so long to repair glaring weaknesses in the squad? Also, some of the patches in the squad are not long-term; how big will the rebuilding exercise be this summer? Maybe RD trusts Luzon more than any of his previous managers/coaches at CAFC - will that make a difference?
  • I remember heading to the Brentford game with zero expectations thinking if we lose maybe we'll get rid of him...couldn't be more wrong.

The quality of football has been excellent the past 3 games, long may it continue.

At the end of the day this is what it's all about, together with effort and team spirit.

Good results do help though.

So, to the dozens of ranters on here, have you all changed your minds about season tickets and Saturdays at the Valley on the strength of this mini revival or do you reserve judgement after this encouraging little run of form?

I can't help thinking our squad has always had the ability we have seen recently and was suffering from a lack of coaching motivation and management. If the turnaround is down to Luzon then credit to him. His cv did not suggest he'd be the one to do it but perhaps he's a quick learner. But I would give it til the end of the season to start cutting the humble pie.
  • shirty5 said:

Simple game, over complicated by many. Play players in their best positions, then amended it if you have to. Oh what could have been if we had this squad back in September.

Yep, any euphoria/relief over recent results is tempered by the realisation that it's been a wasted season, unless you count it as a learning exercise for the owner. You could also take the long-term view that's it's a slow building process, but I don't think football is that predictable years ahead at our level.

Why did it take so long to repair glaring weaknesses in the squad? Also, some of the patches in the squad are not long-term; how big will the rebuilding exercise be this summer? Maybe RD trusts Luzon more than any of his previous managers/coaches at CAFC - will that make a difference?
    The end of the transfer window, Players who weren't as good as expected, players recalled from loan, player Injuries, and the beginning of the January transfer window.

That's my opinion anyway
  • No humble pie for me.

I do like pie though.
  • bobmunro said:

In my opinion those entrenched against RD and his network were/are wrong - those who were seemingly oblivious to any concerns about RD and the network are/were also just as wrong.

No need for eating humble pie from either side of the divide as all share a common passion for the Club. Bridges need building based on realistic expectations from both the fans and the ownership.

Superb Concise Post Bobmunro.
    My mini post of the year so far(yes i know it's only March)

• Praising Bulot like he did was smart; especially as we heard that Bulot does not like him.
    Proud to coach this team, all players like to hear that.
    When he was asked whether he had instilled a new sense of belief, he replied I do not think about myself.
    Very clever stuff and sincere I am sure.
  • After the free kick, Bulot and the players all rushed to the dugout. Who was it they rushed to, as I couldn't see?
  • After the free kick, Bulot and the players all rushed to the dugout. Who was it they rushed to, as I couldn't see?

Matthew
  • masicat said:

So much pie being consumed. I wonder where those who weren't coming again are these days ? Must feel so stupid.

It was never about winning or losing for me. It was about not enjoying it anymore and feeling, as a Supporter, being lied to by the CEO. I always want what is best for Charlton and I am overjoyed at the results we have picked up lately.
    I am not anti Luzon but I am anti the process of how he got the job and the lies that were told, that hasn't changed.
    I hope we keep on winning till the end of the Season and that RD doesn't sell off the Crown Jewels in the close Season, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
  • Stig said this on a previous thread:

"As for Luzon, I don't really see how anyone can expect a new manager to come in to a club that has a demoralised, under-performing, short-staffed team and turn things around just like that. Especially a club where there is a complete and total disconnect between the leadership, the team and the fans. Judging him now would be completely unfair. Mr Luzon will get my support for six months whilst I decide on his competence to be our manager. That's if he's still here in six months."

Hard to argue with that. Judging him now is also premature although signs are that if he didn't know what he was doing when the Covered End told him so, he is a good learner.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's always Humble Pie time
  • Don't think we should apologise for being hugely sceptical that it would work out, and a few negative events reinforced our initial scepticism.

We should give credit where credit's due and we are.

He has proved he has something about him and seems to be very clear in what he is doing. Doubt we will hear the chants again that suggest otherwise.

My nephew played under several different managers and he always said that the successful teams he played for had a manager who gave everyone a job they were good at and didn't expect them to do what they were not good at. If you were good at crossing you did crossing, if you were good at tackling you did tackling, if you were good at running you did running. The failures were where managers imposed a system but lacked the players with the right skills to implement it.

It really is a simple game I think, as long as the manager can get the right skills and the right balance in a team, and play to its strengths, that's where a manager earns his corn and why RD could ruin things if he interferes ignoring footballing fundamentals.

Damn you Prague! I was going to post that. Getting close to the end of the thread I was getting euphoric - "nobody's thought of it - my chance has come", but no, oh no - you beat me to it.

My band, The Midnight Bluez Band play that very number and can be found gigging at a pub near you (as long as you live near Dartford or Sidcup!). Next stop for us, The Cressy Arms, Dartford this very Saturday evening.
  • dickplumb said:

masicat said:

So much pie being consumed. I wonder where those who weren't coming again are these days ? Must feel so stupid.

It was never about winning or losing for me. It was about not enjoying it anymore and feeling, as a Supporter, being lied to by the CEO. I always want what is best for Charlton and I am overjoyed at the results we have picked up lately.
    I am not anti Luzon but I am anti the process of how he got the job and the lies that were told, that hasn't changed.
    I hope we keep on winning till the end of the Season and that RD doesn't sell off the Crown Jewels in the close Season, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Keep smiling

Great Bromley band
  • Yup, must admit I'm eating humble pie by the bucket. However, surely it doesn't take a lot to play players in their correct positions. Well done Mr Luzon for spotting this and like the football we are playing at present. Long may it continue.
  • There better be a vegetarian option.

Was it Harvey?
    Or Floyd?
  • sralan said:

Yup, must admit I'm eating humble pie by the bucket. However, surely it doesn't take a lot to play players in their correct positions. Well done Mr Luzon for spotting this and like the football we are playing at present. Long may it continue.

I have a sneaking suspicion he may have done just a tad more than play players in their right position, but you never know, maybe even a robot could have tranformed the style of play, attitude, team selection when suffering from key injuries, substitution choices and timings, motivation and would have waved more to the supporters.

Asimo for manager!