Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CAFC vs Forest | Tue 03 Mar 2015 | 7:45pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions,News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Nottingham Forest
7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Simon Hooper (Wiltshire)

Introduction
A recent resurgence from the Addicks was halted last Tuesday night as the South Londoners would make the trip up to the East Midlands for the match against high flying Derby County, a routine victory would make it clear why the Rams were top of the league but it would leave many Charlton fans wondering if their recent victories against Brentford and Wigan were in short flukes… Huddersfield on Saturday would prove if Charlton were back to their best or back to normal in terms of struggling at the wrong end of the division, thankfully the former would spring true, a comfortable 3-0 victory meant that the three points were never seriously at danger yet we move on to our next match this Tuesday against another side having a lease of life in Nottingham Forest.

The Opposition
Ironically you could look at the seasons of Charlton and Nottingham Forest and see almost an identical pattern between the two teams; both had strong starts to the season with both sides lasting until October before being beaten, strangely that would happen on the same day (with Forest losing at Cardiff and Charlton losing at Bournemouth)… Defeat for both sides would begin poor runs for both sides with Forest steadying the ship from as low as 13th whilst Charlton would drop as low as 20th… Bob Peeters would be sacked at the beginning of January for our run of bad form whilst at the City Ground; Stuart Pearce would also be given his marching orders just one month later.

Since then revival has once again been the key word for both sides, after a slow start: Guy Luzon has won three of his recent matches whilst only losing on three occasions since his Work Permit was granted, in the East Midfields; ex-Crystal Palace Manager: Dougie Freedman has come in (and despite losing top scorer: Britt Assombalonga to long term injury) and has yet to lose a match (drawing just the one).

A closely contested 1-1 draw was played out between the two sides in December and with eight points separating the sides it could be another tight encounter this time out.

Player to Watch
Had he been fit then top-scorer: Britt Assombalonga would certainly give our Defenders something to worry about and would almost certainly be my player to watch this week… In terms though of returning players against former sides you only have to look at Andy Reid the player with the most obvious links to Charlton yet will be missing this Tuesday as he recovers from injury, whilst in the Charlton ranks: Mark Dmitrovic could line up against one of his former English employees (Only kidding, of course there will be no Addicks on show who could be up against their former side this midweek).

My player to watch though is another from the famed Arsenal Academy in Henri Lansbury: Midfielder by trade; Lansbury came through alongside the likes of Jack Wilshere before having spells on loan at Scunthorpe, Watford, Norwich and West Ham United… A permanent transfer to Forest in 2012 for £1m would happen with over eighty appearances having been made with 20-goals scored.

Line-Up
Henderson
Gomez – Bikey – Johnson – Fox
Eagles – Buyens – Cousins – Bulot
Watt – Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Dmitrovic – Onyewu – Wilson – Harriott – Church – Lepoint – Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
Charlton Athletic 1-1 Nottingham Forest

Comments

• What I dont get with CAFC is that when we have players who are 'touch and go' or '50/50' they never make it. It sounds like JBG, Solly and Ben Haim all have a chance and are not seriously injured. Surely at least one of them will make it. JBG didnt even go off down the tunnel, and only felt muscle tightness. He didnt even pull or tear anything.

Also - why no Diarra?
  • I would like to give Gomez another crack at CB and bring in Wilson for RB.

Diarra should be on the bench too.

I reckon we are good for a couple of goals. Lets see if we can keep them out eh?
  • Lots of goals in this one. They drew 4 - 4 with Blackpool so expect a 7 goal thriller. CAFC 5 - 2 NFFC
  • 2-1 addicks...match thread from 7pm....
  • edited March 2015
    Hard fought draw .. a resurgent Forest against a resurgent CAFC .. I do so enjoy late season surges ((:>) .. An unchanged Addicks team so far as injuries allow.

CAFC 2 v Nottingham Forest 2
  • Forest fans are very confident of winning after five wins in six - 75% of their support on a CL equivalent has voted that they'll take three points.

Hoping that Solly and Fox are on their games because pacey, tricky wingers are pivotal to how Freedman's teams play. They're dangerous going forward but lately, I'd say we more than match them in that department.

It'll be which defence copes the best that comes out on top. Thankful to have Henderson back in the team and hopefully he can keep another clean sheet.
  • Gomez must continue at CH. A start for Diarra or Eagles as well.
    3-2 to us.
  • 3 nil we only win 3 nil

2-1 to Charlton Igor and Watt
  • masicat said:

Gomez must continue at CH. A start for Diarra or Eagles as well.
    3-2 to us.

Agree with Gomez and Diarra but it would be harsh to drop Bulot or JBG for Eagles at the moment. Still, nice to have options for once!
  • Sponsored links:

• I fancy a Desmond here. 2-2 . goals from Buyens and Vetokele.
  • really looking forward to this - after Saturday the next game can't come quick enough, fancy a high scoring affair with us to nick it 3-2
  • 2-1 To Charlton's Red and too much White Army.
  • It should be a good game between 2 teams in form. I'd settle for a draw, Cardiff on Saturday is a better chance of 3 points.

The turnaround does show how Forest underperformed under Stuart Pearce, with that budget they should have been up in the top 8 all season
  • JBG said he was just rested during the game (see News Shopper interview) so he should be in. If Solly needs a rest, I would play Gomez at RB and hopefully drop TBH back in.
  • God completely forgot about Diarra... Dont know if anyone else noticed but when he first came on against Huddersfield; Cousins was shipped out wide once more.

Couldnt possibly happen tomorrow could it :(
  • I fancy a Desmond here. 2-2 . goals from Buyens and Vetokele.

I think he's injured.
  • 2-1 cafc
  • God completely forgot about Diarra... Dont know if anyone else noticed but when he first came on against Huddersfield; Cousins was shipped out wide once more.

I imagine Diarra is slowly being integrated from the bench at the moment, but will start once Buyen gets his ban for 10 bookings (he has a month to go before the deadline so it's unlikely he'll not pick up a ban)
  • Sponsored links:

• Forest are in very good form, having only drawn that one game under freedman as mentioned before. That form has to come to an end sometime and I think we'll be the ones to ruin their party. I'd like 2-0, Watt
    and Eagles, but il be happy with a draw
  • Both sides in good form at the moment, has the look of a draw about it 1-1
  • What is this new wave of confidence that has come over me?

2-2
  • Forest have won five out of six under Freedman who is a good manager, unlike Pearce.

But we are on a high too so 1-1 looks the most likely scoreline here.

Cousins had a yellow and it made sense to me to take him out of the midfield firing line. He had already pulled out of one tackle, I assume because he was worried about being sent off.

With Bulot playing well and Eagles to come in, I hope he does not move Cousins out wide
  • Dansk_Red said:

2-1 To Charlton's Red and too much White Army.

They can wear what they like if last Saturdays performance is repeated
  • Entertaining draw, if possible same line up to start. 2-2.
  • If JBG is injured, bring in Wilson.

I'd keep Gomez and Johnson at CB, even if TBH is fit, and bring him back Saturday.

2-1 either way
  • On the basis that's it's so hard to win back to back, Sat/Tues games...1-1.