Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Rotherham: Post Match Depression 2015

Comments

• Options

seth plum said:

Luzon is unbeaten as manager.

Two draws and one defeat as manager.

Every time I see anything of Luzon it feels so surreal and I can't believe I'm not dreaming it all.
    Loads on here will snort and go on about giving the guy a chance, but is it only me that looks at him, sees what is out there on the internet, listens to him, and had yesterday's experience, and thinks it is such a 'wrong' experience?
    It is seriously weird. Its like having your cornflakes with salad cream and pilchards and sprouts and a spoonful of icing sugar, it won't kill you but strick to that diet and you'll eventually throw up.
    You can't be attributing the Watford loss to Luzon surely?
    Yes I am afraid I attribute the Watford loss to Luzon. Others disagree, and I explained my reasoning on a thread after the Wolves draw.
  • Options
    Colin someone said

''we'd are still playing some nice football some if our play was excellent today''

Judging by your poor spelling/grammar, where you you watching from
    the Car Park?
    Most depressing home game of the season for me, as many
    have said on here if we can't beat the likes of Rotherham
    who can we beat?
    Although in fairness to them they have some some British players from the latest tranfer window.
    Salmon and Derbyshire come to mind, whereas we are getting
    foreign rejects who probably can't understand a word our
    new coach says to them! I just wish the fans could buy the club
    as Swansea did a few seasons ago. We badly need to ditch this Belgian lot
    before it's too late!
  • Options
    A draw was a fair result yesterday between two bottom six sides, but for us a draw was not good enough. Three points was a must and I can now see us being in the bottom six after the next away game.

On recent performances gaining 6 wins from the rest of the campaign looks far away and League one is a distinct possibility.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Nug said;

This was the video (post match press conference) released by the club, someone taking the piss surely from within.

Least said soonest mended..........hmmm :neutral:
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

colin1961 said:

Beckboy said:

The heart is being ripped out of our club by jonny foreigner's

jonny foreigner's what?
    Problem today was English players Wiggins and Harriott who had poor games

Colin the guy who thinks he knows everything charlton , but doesn't know that wiggins is welsh .
    Yes but as he thinks all in the North Upper are stupid he can get away with not knowing himself! :wink:
  • Options
    Just over a month ago I put up a thread just after the Ipswich away game asking everyone to be positive and get behind the team. Whilst I will always be behind the team and offer them my full support, I cannot help feeling completely distraught at what has gone on since then.

Yesterday was one of the worst performances I have seen in a long time. It seemed simple balls high into our box were enough to cause complete panic. When we scored I couldn't actually believe we had stolen a lead. Don't get me wrong, there wasn't much to choose between the 2 teams, but towards the end, Rotherham were the stronger team.

I look at so many of those players, they were shit. On the balance of the season, you would say that you would sub Harriott ahead of Vetokele, however to have a pop at Luzon when he subbed Vetokele was ridiculous. They were both dog shit. Luzon having been here for two weeks won't have a bias toward Igor like BP may have had, and based on both of their performances it didn't matter who got subbed.

The only bright spot for me was Watt. But I feel we'll put too much on him too soon because the rest of the side is so shit. Obviously I exclude Solly, he didn't do much wrong. Our offensive play is garbage.

I don't want to write off a player off the back of 13 mins, but LePoint seemed slower than Jackson. I didn't think that was physically possible.

We are really up against it now.

If we aren't good enough, we aren't good enough. But please, let us go down having a real go. A point at home to Blackpool, Millwall & Rotherham isn't having a go
  • Options

The booing of the substitution was classless from the fans. Vetokele was having a poor game and his substitution was completely justified, regardless of what your opinions of Harriott were

have not read past this post yet but the majority of the boos were aimed at a tiny amount of people booing the substitution. thats how i read it, anyway.
  • Options
    Look at it objectively, we have lost a good chance to win a game but we have improved on the Watford game with 2 draws and scored again. I felt quite sad looking at the table though as we could've done so much better this season but we have wasted it.
  • Options
    I thought Lepoint struggled when he came on, but he did hold the ball up for Cousins to score. I can't remember the last time I saw someone in a Charlton shirt do that. He's got time to improve the rest of his game as far as I am concerned - hope he can do the same again, though I would prefer us to get in a big lump of a striker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Veljkovic; does anyone else think that he was playing for himself and not the team? Every pass was completed to the nearest team mate. 'Got 100% pass completion, me' !

That's how he should play in the position he is playing thought he did ok kept it simple and tried to keep the ball unlike some of the other players who panic on the ball never look relaxed when they have the ball which obviously leads to us giving the ball back to the opposition.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I admire you for your loyalty Fanny. Just watching the scores come up on Final score yesterday, I was really delighted to see Jordan had scored, and hoped you, Mr. F and GHF were enjoying your celebrations at a goal at long last. Sadly, that didn't last long as the end result proved to be very predictable. I know a boycott won't have much effect, as am sure no-one noticed I was not there yesterday (except perhaps the little lad who likes to sit next to his Granddad, but for some reason has an ST in the row in front of ours) but thats not the point. For me, its more a case of why should I bother to make the long journey on a freezing cold day, we had snow, but I know there wasn't any in SE7, and I can't think of any reason why I should. Sadly, none of the posts about the game have made me have a rethink and doubt I'll go to the Norwich one either.
  • Options
    boogica said:

Veljkovic; does anyone else think that he was playing for himself and not the team? Every pass was completed to the nearest team mate. 'Got 100% pass completion, me' !

That's how he should play in the position he is playing thought he did ok kept it simple and tried to keep the ball unlike some of the other players who panic on the ball never look relaxed when they have the ball which obviously leads to us giving the ball back to the opposition.
    I liked the way he dropped into defence to cover TBH when he carried the ball into midfield, he showed good discipline
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @Fanny Fanackapan .. great stuff FF .. one lady definitely 'not for turning' .. and 'IF you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs ... ' .. keep on keeping the faith
  • Options

Tonight, Fanny is somewhat of a nervous disposition.

Changing my recent habit, I've read all the posts on this thread before posting my thoughts ...but wish I hadn't.

The thing is, guys 'n gals, I didn't think it was that bad ....honest ! And having read the scathing comments thus far, I'm wondering whether I should air mine. But, hey, my skin's pretty thick ...even though you may feel my eyesight leaves a lot to be desired....

OK - it wasn't what we were hoping for. But what did we really expect ?

As usual, I won't comment on the pros & cons of playing players in certain positions but what I will say in defence of GL ( yes, that's defence) is that he's managed to get more from both Buyens & Guddy than Big Bob managed to do IMO. Whether how they played today was enough for you or not, I saw a big improvement from both taking the last 3 games into consideration.

On the subject of positives, I'd like to add that young Jordan was MOM for me again, following that accolade last Saturday & hence he appears to be working very well under the new regime...with a goal to boot !

Chris Solly will perform under ANY management & continues to do so, whilst TBH & The Beast have looked more like their early season selves since the Watford debacle. And the new goalie didn't do much wrong either.

But, and unfortunately it's a big BUT, we still can't score goals and therein for me lies the biggest problem. Here is where I will agree that I'd much rather have seen Tony Watt x3 up front with Igor because although he may have marginally improved of late, Callum H should not start in my book. Use him as an impact sub by all means but he gives the ball away/is dispossessed far too easily and is SO not the answer to our problems in that area. Surely TW should partner Igor from the start ?

So, that's the team examined. But what about the way we played, you may ask ? Well, on the plus side, we scored our first goal in the league since Boxing Day and are on an unbeaten run of 2 games - that's a reasonable place to start. I know that passes went astray at crucial moments in both build ups and defending but I honestly feel the team is less disjointed than in the last home match versus Brighton.

We've had a change of manager - I believe most will agree that was a positive move - but whether Guy is the man to turn things around remains to be seen and we can only guess whether he is in total charge of team selection or not. There's been a lack of rumours regarding the atmosphere in the dressing room since he arrived so we have little idea if he's begun to mend some fences between factions therein that were allegedly broken under Bob. We can but hope......but it is early days, of course.

We badly needed a manager/head coach who would hit the ground running but, Watford aside ( I still believe that was just a bad dream! ) he's not done too badly. There's still a long way to go before our safety is ensured and both players & their management have a fight on their hands. But all those who were at the 5-0 pasting, followed by the game at Molineux and then today, will have witnessed some positives in the 2 draws achieved. Those unable to travel away probably hoped for much more from today and hence have vented their frustration here. The results achieved by Blackpool and Millwall this afternoon only enhanced those feelings ( believe me, I am not immune ) And with Boro', Norwich & Brentford on the horizon, it won't get any easier. Who knows what the next couple of days will bring regarding additions to the squad. One or two with Championship/Prem experience would not go amiss....but that's out of our hands. All we can hope is that the squad builds in confidence & camaraderie over the next few games and that our angriest supporters will stifle those unwanted boos & replace them with clapping next time, however begrudging.

This may not be OUR Charlton. But it's all we have at this moment in time. No-one, least of all the players, management, owner and fans want to fail. And I have to believe that things WILL only get better albeit not overnight.

I really hope you do too.

You also write on the Dr Kish blog....good to read something positive for once.
  • Options
    pickwick said:

Watt is absolutely useless missed an easy chance at Wolves last week and was crap this week.
    The north stand singing his name cause it rhymes, really...
    Vetokele and Harriot are much better players. Cousins should be player of the season.
    We are not that bad we will be safe.

Cousins player of the season? Then we really are in the shit IMHO
  • Options
    Can someone advise me when the next u21/development game at Sparrows is please?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It seems the supporters are divided between those who want GL and RD to sod off asap and are ready to make their feelings known regardless and those who want them GL and RD to sod off asap but want everyone to get 100% behind the side come rain or shine on match day.
  • Options

Can someone advise me when the next u21/development game at Sparrows is please?

http://www.cafc.co.uk/fixtures-results/u21_fixtures/
  • Options

I admire you for your loyalty Fanny. Just watching the scores come up on Final score yesterday, I was really delighted to see Jordan had scored, and hoped you, Mr. F and GHF were enjoying your celebrations at a goal at long last. Sadly, that didn't last long as the end result proved to be very predictable. I know a boycott won't have much effect, as am sure no-one noticed I was not there yesterday (except perhaps the little lad who likes to sit next to his Granddad, but for some reason has an ST in the row in front of ours) but thats not the point. For me, its more a case of why should I bother to make the long journey on a freezing cold day, we had snow, but I know there wasn't any in SE7, and I can't think of any reason why I should. Sadly, none of the posts about the game have made me have a rethink and doubt I'll go to the Norwich one either.

With the difficulty of your journey and the bitterly cold weather, I wouldn't expect you to turn out, HA. Totally understandable.

But if you lived a lot closer & wasn't reliant on the problematical rail system, would you not feel the urge to support those wearing the shirt ?

I don't agree with the few on here who say none of the players give a monkey's. I believe they're doing their best ( whether that's enough for some) under very difficult AND ever changing circumstances ie Head Coach & his systems/incoming players.

I repeat what I posted last night that only those who went to both Watford & Wolves can start to appreciate that there has been an improvement, albeit a small one.

But you would need to judge for yourself.

• Options
    Anyone else remember the Rotherham goalkeeper making a save?

I can't think of one and therein lies the problem.
  • Options

With the difficulty of your journey and the bitterly cold weather, I wouldn't expect you to turn out, HA. Totally understandable.

But if you lived a lot closer & wasn't reliant on the problematical rail system, would you not feel the urge to support those wearing the shirt ?

I don't agree with the few on here who say none of the players give a monkey's. I believe they're doing their best ( whether that's enough for some) under very difficult AND ever changing circumstances ie Head Coach & his systems/incoming players.

I repeat what I posted last night that only those who went to both Watford & Wolves can start to appreciate that there has been an improvement, albeit a small one.

But you would need to judge for yourself.

Yes, I appreciate I can't comment on whether there is a slight improvement until I see for myself. If I lived closer then I probably would still go and support the lads. Years ago, I wouldn't have given any thought as to do I want to? I always did, however bad the play was at the time. After years away, due to my health, I really felt like I'd got to know the team last season and even though the play wasn't always great, or even good, it felt like my club again. Like I'd never been away. It's different now, can't explain, but it does not feel like my club, the club I've loved for 45 years even when I was unable to attend. Hospital visitors knew the first question I would ask would be about Charlton. Now, I've just lost interest or hope I suppose. Would love to think there will be a time when RD is a distant memory and I can have my club back, but not confident I'll live that long!

• Options
    edited February 2015
    LenGlover said:

Anyone else remember the Rotherham goalkeeper making a save?

I can't think of one and therein lies the problem.

One shot on target according to BBC stats and 15 off target.
    Either Rotherham have a very good defence (they did make some good blocks 2nd half) or CAFC have a problem up front - think someone else mentioned that, tbf!
  • Options
    I have to say that I arrived at The Valley yesterday with some optimism that we may be able to get a win against a poor side. Well at least I was right about Rochdale being a poor side, the trouble was we were no better.

85th minute we get a goal and then we do what we always do and that's defend on our own 18yd line and conceded. The performance was governed by the lack of shape or application, no teeth up front and apart from Cousins nothing in midfield.

This is beginning to feel like the last time we went down and it is hard to watch. It is depressing to be part of a rich mans experiment that is so obviously flawed yet also being powerless to change it. Right now I cannot see us getting any better the salvation may be that there are other crap teams who have less points and who also can't win which in the scheme of things isn't much consolation.
  • Options

I have to say that I arrived at The Valley yesterday with some optimism that we may be able to get a win against a poor side. Well at least I was right about Rochdale being a poor side, the trouble was we were no better.

85th minute we get a goal and then we do what we always do and that's defend on our own 18yd line and conceded. The performance was governed by the lack of shape or application, no teeth up front and apart from Cousins nothing in midfield.

This is beginning to feel like the last time we went down and it is hard to watch. It is depressing to be part of a rich mans experiment that is so obviously flawed yet also being powerless to change it. Right now I cannot see us getting any better the salvation may be that there are other crap teams who have less points and who also can't win which in the scheme of things isn't much consolation.

Rotherham Dave, Rotherham.
  • Options
    A former Charlton player showed yesterday that a wise head on old shoulders (and legs) has a place with the youngsters.

Thought Fraser Richardson did pretty well and made a fool of some of our guys.

We need to remember the oppostion can't score if we keep the ball in their half. Giving away corners in extra time shouldn't happen.