Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

LUZON OUT!!!

Comments

• Can see why Astrit couldn't get a game now.

Nothing to do with the fact that he gets cream crackered after 20 minutes on the pitch then?

I think 20 is exaggerating it slightly don't you?
    Maybe a little but he did have terrible stamina for a pro in his mid 20s

Hadn't played in a while when he joined us. Was hardly going to be match-fit was he? If he had a full pre-season behind him he's be a good player for us.
  • edited January 2015

Can see why Astrit couldn't get a game now.

Nothing to do with the fact that he gets cream crackered after 20 minutes on the pitch then?

Hadn't played in a while when he joined us. Was hardly going to be match-fit was he? If he had a full pre-season behind him he's be a good player for us.
    But why was he unable to get fit while he was with us?

Attitude, would be my guess.

• It seems the Standard has remembered we exist today.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-line-up-former-standard-liege-manager-guy-luzon-as-bob-peeters-replacement-9972220.html

Former Standard Liege manager Guy Luzon was this morning favourite to become Charlton’s new head coach.

Charlton sacked Bob Peeters last night following a poor run of results, with Belgian owner Roland Duchatelet expected to turn to Luzon.

The 39-year-old Israeli has close links with Duchatelet, who is looking for his fourth manager since taking over a year ago, having worked for Standard Liege, one of his network of six clubs across Europe.

Luzon left Standard Liege after 18 months in charge in October after supporters rioted and demanded he was sacked following the club’s poor start to the season. Before his spell in Belgium, he spent three years as Israel Under-21 boss and he has also managed a number of clubs in Israel.

During his time in charge of Standard Liege, Luzon worked with Tony Watt, the former Celtic forward signed by Charlton last week. Watt has said he learned more in two months working under Luzon than he did in his final two years with Celtic.

Charlton are 14th in the Championship, 10 points off the play-off places following eight games without a win. Peeters was appointed on a 12-month contract last summer and he had Charlton eyeing promotion following an impressive start to the season. But a poor run of results, culminating in Saturday’s 1-0 home defeat against Brighton, has seen the Addicks slide down the table.
  • How many games does a player need to get match-fit? He joined us in January but his fitness never seemed to improve
  • How many games does a player need to get match-fit? He joined us in January but his fitness never seemed to improve

Kind of missing my original l point about Luzon's long-ball game.

Agree.

10 at a push
  • edited January 2015

FFS keep up. He was playing through a niggling chest infection. Widely reported.

Agree.

10 at a push
    But the 10 were Capstan Full Strength untipped.

FFS keep up. He was playing through a niggling chest infection. Widely reported.
    I remember reading that on here but as usual without any attributable source being provided. If it lasted five months, then it was more than a "niggle". We are then asked to believe that he recovered, but then didn't play for Standard because they play a long ball game. Too many excuses for a player, IMHO.

The briefing this time last year from Belgian national newspaper journalist Douglas de Coninck was that Ajdarevic was the best of a bad bunch we'd been sent, but it was by no means certain that he'd be wanted by Standard for the first team once he returned. Buyens on the other hand he rated as the real deal. Interestingly he described him as "box-to-box". The only time I saw Buyens playing that role was in the second half against Cardiff. Rest of the time it seemed to me he was asked to play the role Poyet did last season (plus penalties).

Wasn't there a period when Astrit was unwell (glandular fever or something?) while he was with us?

• Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

Wasn't there a period when Astrit was unwell (glandular fever or something?) while he was with us?

@harveys gardener says it was a "niggling chest infection"

I'm just sceptical that he isn't included in the Standard first team simply because he doesn't fit Luzon's alleged style of play. Not that I'm advocating Luzon. I just think Ajdarevic is one of so many players who fail to apply their undoubted talent.
  • The fact the Liege fans rioted and caused a game to be abandoned to protest at having Luzon in charge is enough for me.

I usually like to be rational over these things but instead will keep it nice and simple.

Luzon out!

• @harveys gardener says it was a "niggling chest infection"

Or 20 bensons a day?
  • Even a niggling chest infection would impact on match fitness.

Players (and athletes) are told not to risk playing with a cold, let alone anything more severe.

Having said that, however, I agree that a 23 year old professional should normally be able to play at a high tempo for 90 minutes.

• Oggy Red said:

Even a niggling chest infection would impact on match fitness.

Players (and athletes) are told not to risk playing with a cold, let alone anything more severe.

Having said that, however, I agree that a 23 year old professional should normally be able to play at a high tempo for 90 minutes.

These remarks about his smoking are pretty consistent though aren't they, Oggy. ? If you have a chest infection, and are a serious professional athlete, smoking is a big deal.
  • Do we know he smoked, or was this a rumour to explain away his fitness?
  • Pretty sure the smoking thing is just a joke.
  • alangee said:

Do we know he smoked, or was this a rumour to explain away his fitness?

I don't know. But various people at various times came up with cryptic comments on the subject, including one of our esteemed admin.

The Balkans is one of the area of Europe where a majority of people still smoke, though.
  • alangee said:

Do we know what he smoked? I mean him and bulot may have been on the reefa together. Could explain it.
  • alangee said:

I don't know. But various people at various times came up with cryptic comments on the subject, including one of our esteemed admin.

The Balkans is one of the area of Europe where a majority of people still smoke, though.
    So we can't believe in a published rumour about Peeters out and Luzon in but we can believe in hear say on a football forum about a player smoking. A rumour that originally stated as a joke on here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

These remarks about his smoking are pretty consistent though aren't they, Oggy. ? If you have a chest infection, and are a serious professional athlete, smoking is a big deal.
    Unless you are Jorge Costa who got through 40 a day whilst with us

OK so do we have any further evidence that Gee Luzer is a long ball merchant? I find it hard to believe that a team can top the league all season playing hoof-ball in this day and age - TBH and Buyens certainly don't play like they've just come from Wimbledon or Stoke

OK so do we have any further evidence that Gee Luzer is a long ball merchant? I find it hard to believe that a team can top the league all season playing hoof-ball in this day and age - TBH and Buyens certainly don't play like they've just come from Wimbledon or Stoke

• I know I saw that but was looking for a second opinion - I don't recall any previous references to long ball football at Standard Liege since we joined the network so this is a bit of a surprise - did he resort to long ball after losing his best players in the summer or did he play hoof ball all last season
  • Never take any commentary from Liège supporters in account, not for players, certainly not for managers. Just forget the time they where present over there. However, I also have doubts on Luzon. I hope you get a British manager this time and ... more important ... a striker and a midfielder !
  • I know I saw that but was looking for a second opinion - I don't recall any previous references to long ball football at Standard Liege since we joined the network so this is a bit of a surprise - did he resort to long ball after losing his best players in the summer or did he play hoof ball all last season

Well, that's the thoughts of someone who has actually seen a Luzon team play several times. I'll trust that over any reference on a Charlton forum.
  • alangee said:

So we can't believe in a published rumour about Peeters out and Luzon in but we can believe in hear say on a football forum about a player smoking. A rumour that originally stated as a joke on here.
    Like I said, I don't know. But there is quite a good chance that people on here would have the opportunity to know that Ajdarevic smokes. If you say it started as a joke, then fair enough I'll ignore it.

Despite his tweet above Ajdarevic has been picked to start this season 4 times by Luzon, but only once by the new (fellow Balkan) coach.
  • Oggy Red said:

I don't really know about his smoking, Prague.

One or two have suggested it's a reason for Astrit's lack of stamina, but is that fact or just somebody's wind-up?

I would've thought that players determined to establish themselves in the game today wouldn't indulge in a habit that could sabotage their performance.

A young professional footballer should be able to physically compete for 90 minutes.
    Astrit clearly struggled to do that - there must have been a reason,; maybe he's a smoker but maybe something else?

• alangee said:

Like I said, I don't know. But there is quite a good chance that people on here would have the opportunity to know that Ajdarevic smokes. If you say it started as a joke, then fair enough I'll ignore it.

Despite his tweet above Ajdarevic has been picked to start this season 4 times by Luzon, but only once by the new (fellow Balkan) coach.
    That's interesting. I seem to remember Peeters saying he wasn't his sort of player either. Definitely an underlying problem somewhere there. Maybe it's just attitude. I recall Wilson getting a bit annoyed with him last season when he didn't track back.
  • edited January 2015
    I'm not quite sure why i'm supposed to be so angry about a guy that i've never met , or seen manage Charlton before , if this Luz fella does take charge , surely we've got to give him at least 3 games in charge before we get the hump?