Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

LUZON OUT!!!

Can this compete with the Andy Delort thread?

Comments

• Talk about jumping the gun.
  • edited January 2015
    Astrit Ajdarevic is again above water. The Swede never broke through it the standard of Guy Luzon. Under Ivan Vukomanovic he seems to get a new chance.

"It's good to be back on the field and regain the confidence of the coach," said Ajdarevic after the exhibition game against Heerenveen in which he played the first half to Het Nieuwsblad. "That was a while ago. I feel good again and I experience pleasure again to football. I am sure that I can still prove Standard services. " Ajdarevic and Guy Luzon , the former coach of Standard, it clearly could not get along. "He did not play football. Just long balls. He has just broken my trust and that bothers me still high. I know very well what I'm capable of, but he just pushed me aside, without a word of explanation. "

Read more: http://intothevalley.proboards.com/thread/17266/ajdarevic-luzon-me-broken#ixzz3OYjGBGZ0
  • I hate him already, we've won nothing with him.
  • Makes Luzon sound like Charles Hughes.
    If Luzon comes in, i wonder what the likes of Buyens will think?
  • Still unbeaten under Luzon
  • So he will want a big chap up front then Harvey?

I still expect the unexpected from RD

I hear the new coach will be on a rolling one hour contract. Quite right too!

• Makes Luzon sound like Charles Hughes.

Probably should have been thinking a bit harder and a bit earlier about that and upped their performances so Bob didn't get the old tin tack.

Seems it's likely to be one of Luzon or Freye or both. Would probably prefer Freye, as at least he's had some recent experience of the Championship working with Riga and would already know some of the squad. No idea how influential he was last sason, but at least we did relatively well last time he was at the club.

Given my choice of known network people, or at least Duchatelet connections I'd take Riga, but wouldn't blame him if he said no ta. One thing we know for sure with Riga is the players like him and he seems the sort of personable diplomat who might mend some of the dressing room rifts.

Would prefer someone from outside the network altogether who is then allowed to sign some non network players as an indication this isn't some kind of closed shop but that seems the least likely of the options.

I liked what Bob seemed to be trying to do early on, but it seems to have soured pretty fast. Hopefully this turns out to be the right decision, but we can't go on changing the main man every few months.

• edited January 2015

Makes Luzon sound like Charles Hughes.

Probably should have been thinking a bit harder and a bit earlier about that and upped their performances so Bob didn't get the old tin tack.

Seems it's likely to be one of Luzon or Freye or both. Would probably prefer Freye, as at least he's had some recent experience of the Championship working with Riga and would already know some of the squad. No idea how influential he was last sason, but at least we did relatively well last time he was at the club.

Given my choice of known network people, or at least Duchatelet connections I'd take Riga, but wouldn't blame him if he said no ta. One thing we know for sure with Riga is the players like him and he seems the sort of personable diplomat who might mend some of the dressing room rifts.

Would prefer someone from outside the network altogether who is then allowed to sign some non network players as an indication this isn't some kind of closed shop but that seems the least likely of the options.

I liked what Bob seemed to be trying to do early on, but it seems to have soured pretty fast. Hopefully this turns out to be the right decision, but we can't go on changing the main man every few months.

Agree with you completely; out of Luzon or Freye I'd take Freye.

It seems harsh to judge Luzon without having seen his style of football, and I wouldn't usually do this, but I'm a bit concerned about the possibility of his appointment. Namely;

(a) Astrit Adjarevic seemed to have negative comments about it (quoted in the other thread);
    (b) Standard fans obviously hated it, hence rioting at a game(!!).

People have mentioned he was sacked, but he was still kept in the network - which says there's something about him which Roland likes. However, if fans were rioting when he was in charge then surely Roland doesn't like him for footballing reasons?

At least Freye has a modicum of experience with The Championship via Jose Riga, knows the ins and outs of Roland's recruitment process and may already have some form of relationship with the "spine" of the team; i.e Jackson, Wilson, Church, Wiggins, Solly...

Whatever the outcome, I can't see Roland making us wait too long for his decision. He's a businessman and isn't going to have made any rash decisions without contingencies in place for the consequences.

Additioally, the sacking was (peculiarly?) announced at 6pm on a Sunday, that to me suggests there will be news pretty early on the Monday.
  • I can't really comment on Luzon as I've never knowingly seen one of his sides play. I have no idea of his philosophy or personality.

With regards to what happened at Standard I would be interested to know what was the fans' main beef with him. From my limited amount of outside observation I got the impression that they were against him from the very start, a bit like Alan Irvine suffered at WBA this season. Didn't they actually pretty well under him for a while? Were they unhappy with his tactics or his treatment of certain players or even the fans? Was it because he was a scapegoat for their underlying mistrust of Duchatalet's ownership? They certainly seem quite quick to anger so I wouldn't necessarily rule him out just on the basis some violently vocal Liege fans didn't like him, but it certainly doesn't fill you with joy at the prospect of him taking over here.

As has already been said, more concerning is his lack of experience in England, but even then that didn't cause Riga too many problems. The difference then, I guess, was the squad itself was fairly experienced. This season we have far more young players or first year imports in the squad which would make a new-to-England-manager's life harder.

Whoever it is, they must be able to reunite and motivate the squad. As I said, this is where Riga has a proven record, but I have no idea what kind of terms he and Roly are on, or if Roly would be too proud to go back. We have seen that when motivated this team can get decent results in the Championship so just being a good man manager may be enough to turn us around.

Player recruits would be appreciated though so I also hope that Phil Chapple has a very strong voice in identifying transfer targets because, with all the potential network candidates, there is not a huge amount of a track record in England, even with Riga. At least Chapple knows English second tier football well and back in the early days of Powell, Mick and Tone, when money was available, our player recruitment was largely good.

That's what I'd like, what I suspect we'll get, based on nothing but the evidence to date and gut feeling, is both manager and players either from the network or that we've never heard and who's only experience of English football is on the telly and on FIFA.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm going for Johnny Jackson as player coach :)
  • Talk about jumping the gun.

Only by a few months though!
  • razil said:

I'm going for Johnny Jackson as player coach :)

Nice bloke, good captain, no experience.

This is not the time to gamble and he has not even started on his coaching badges. Maybe one day - but he is still has the ability to play, and while you can you must. Plenty of time for the desk bit in later life.
  • Redrobo said:

So he will want a big chap up front then Harvey?

I still expect the unexpected from RD

I hear the new coach will be on a rolling one hour contract. Quite right too!

Rumour is it'll be a three year zero hour contract. Makes sense because you don't need to pay him at all if we haven't won on Saturday.
  • razil said:

I'm going for Johnny Jackson as player coach :)

Talk of Jackson is complete nonsense. A coaching role maybe, but not head coach \ manager.
  • Luzon was in charge of the Standard team that beat Charlton pre season. Difficult to assess on that alone but did Standard play long ball in that game ? I find it hard to believe any coach in Belgium gets away with a hoofball game ?
  • Its a Charlton thing i think, slaughter a player or manager before a ball has been kicked.
    I think razil was just jesting ricky
  • Luzon was in charge of the Standard team that beat Charlton pre season. Difficult to assess on that alone but did Standard play long ball in that game ? I find it hard to believe any coach in Belgium gets away with a hoofball game ?

No I remember Liege ripping though us for both goals and they looked a class above! Was Luzon too i wonder?
  • "During his time in charge of Standard Liege, Luzon worked with Tony Watt, the former Celtic forward signed by Charlton last week. Watt has said he learned more in two months working under Luzon than he did in his final two years with Celtic."

From the Standard: http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-line-up-former-standard-liege-manager-guy-luzon-as-bob-peeters-replacement-9972220.html
  • The Evening Sub-Standard has raided Charlton Life for its stories again.

• Sponsored links:

• Vincenzo said:

"During his time in charge of Standard Liege, Luzon worked with Tony Watt, the former Celtic forward signed by Charlton last week. Watt has said he learned more in two months working under Luzon than he did in his final two years with Celtic."

From the Standard: http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlton-line-up-former-standard-liege-manager-guy-luzon-as-bob-peeters-replacement-9972220.html

Case closed. Tony Watt likes him so we should appoint him. Let's ignore the thousands of fans who don't want him.
  • These are probably the same fans that didn't want Riga because they didn't know him.

Let's give someone a chance.

My mate just had a text from a friend saying that Dougie Freedman is in line for it, do I want him? No thanks.
  • Long ball with Igor, Watt and Churchy is going to be fascinating.
  • Can see why Astrit couldn't get a game now.

Nothing to do with the fact that he gets cream crackered after 20 minutes on the pitch then?

• Come in number 4, because we dont need a midfield anymore.

Nothing to do with the fact that he gets cream crackered after 20 minutes on the pitch then?

I think 20 is exaggerating it slightly don't you?

I think 20 is exaggerating it slightly don't you?
    Maybe a little but he did have terrible stamina for a pro in his mid 20s