Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackburn v Charlton - Post Match Views

Another disappointing performance by the sounds of it, and game over pretty early on.

Perhaps I'm being soft but also disappointing how reactionary everything is these days. Win a couple of games and Big Bob is a legend, lose a couple and he is out of his depth and hasn't a clue.

Neither is true of course. Whether he is a good or bad manager I don't feel we can accurately judge yet, but our painfully thin squad, with primarily inadequate up front and what's looking like a similar thing in goal, is costing us games. That in turn effects confidence and everything then goes on a negative slide.

Looking tough at the mo. A decent Xmas win will certainly do a lot for everyone's confidence, but squad strengthening is absolutely vital.

Look forward to hearing from those there. What a shite journey home that must be.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Very good summary of how I'm feeling AFKA. Couldn't believe some of the comments I was reading re: Peeters this afternoon.

Our very thin squad has been hit harder than expected by the loss of Henderson, Wiggins and Jackson. As well as Le Coq. And we needed strengthening before that point anyway.

A season of mid table experimentation is fine with me.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Starting to get nervous.
    Need some fresh players in to help the small squad. Worried that it will be SL reserve shit like last season.

Beaten by a better team today who are play off chaser against a midtable team.

If the gap gets to less than 5 points to 22nd I will start worrying.
  • Options
    Just in case required
  • Options
    Perhaps RD should be persuaded to buy a couple of players to keep us away from the lower end of the league! Only 4th loss so far so not worried yet but our squad makes Kate Moss look chubby.
  • Options
    Who was it who said, " We don't let the highs get too high - or the lows get too low." ..... ?

;o)

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I didn't expect us to go up there and get a result - they are a decent team and we are missing some important players.
    What I do expect is players to be played in the correct positions, in a formation they understand. It would also be nice to do the basics right and not gift them goals.
    But we wouldn't be having the big inquest that will now ensue, if the players and management hadn't shit themselves when we went 2-1 up against Blackpool last week.
  • Options
    Yep its a bit shit atm!
  • Options

...painfully thin squad, with primarily inadequate up front...

This, for me, is the crux of the problem.
  • Options
    We are probably now more or less where most people expected us to be. Certainly no need to panic, but obviously we need to get more firepower in to ensure we don't slip down towards the strugglers. If only we could have turned a few of the draws into wins.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is in no way supposed to be damning, not at all. However I reckon Bob has his strong ideas about what kind of football he wants played, and it has been interesting, sometimes brilliantly effective, and oftentimes less than convincing, and occasionally bewildering.
    Fair enough, shuffle your pack, deal your cards, play on.
    My concern though is that in this most competitive and unforgiving of leagues you have to take into account the opposition. I don't mean fear them, but show due respect regarding specifics, and use detailed knowledge of opponents to set up properly, counter their strengths, and exploit their weaknesses. Bob has sometimes said he has seen the videos of the opposition, but I am left wondering if that really impacts his thinking much.
    I don't know about the specifics of todays goals, but Jordan Rhodes is a proven scorer and got two, Igor is also a bit of a proven scorer, but is now getting consistently shut out. Have others sussed us out better than we have sussed them, and ought that to be any kind of concern?
    I am thinking out loud here, but we play Blackburn again very soon, I know it is the cup, and at the (now going to be a mainly empty) Valley, but I wonder if seeing Blackburn at close quarters today will have any impact. The same goes for Ipswich away as we played them recently too.
  • Options
    Watching Charlton since after the Reading game has been absolutely tedious.
  • Options
    The goals we are conceding at the moment are from mistakes and are absolute gifts to the opposition. I know we have a small squad, injuries and struggle to score enough goals but cutting out these mistakes is vital if we are to remain mid-table.
  • Options
    No surprise about the result but very surprised about fielding the same team that were so poor against Blackpool. Here's hoping we don't get stuck in a spiral down the table. Pretty obvious but we need strengthening in January.
  • Options
    Looking at the top six we are a long way off in terms of squad depth and quality. For sure we are carrying three key injuries but the top six have won 11 or 12 games. We have won six.

Previous seasons 36 points was enough to be sixth after 23 games. Watford in sixth have 38 points from 22. Put simply we are not in touch and it was the results in November which did this plus failing to beat Blackpool.

So now we have the cup to look forward to plus where is the next win coming from? I'm sure this 12 game run must be bringing a lot of pressure to bear on Peeters and the team. The sooner we can get Wiggins, Henderson and Jackson back the better - with them and a couple of signings we can start winning again. Here's hoping we can beat them in the cup for that will keep our season alive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Roll on the fa cup .revenge is sweet

Laugh out loud!

You know as well as I do, we'll put out a reserve team; it will be a God awful match played in front of a crowd of about 6,000; no atmosphere with 2 stands closed, and we'll lose 2-0.
  • Options
    Anyone know if Etheridge is actually any good? Feel like this is a year early for Pope.

Nothing against Pope, think he's a great shot stopper, but too many mistakes recently. Defenses are always affected when they are worried about the keeper behind them.
  • Options
    The problem is Peeters wants us to play football from the back its great to watch when you have the players to do it but we haven't.The games I have seen this year we play well in large patches of games run out of ideas give it to Bikey then he lumps it forward.If peeters wants to play attractive football then we need the players to do it.Just look at Bournemouth they go for teams from the start home and away.
  • Options

Come in number 4 you're time isn't up

Wrong thread Henry;-)
  • Options

Anyone know if Etheridge is actually any good? Feel like this is a year early for Pope.

Nothing against Pope, think he's a great shot stopper, but too many mistakes recently. Defenses are always affected when they are worried about the keeper behind them.

It's all about confidence, isn't it?

Pope has the ability to become a very good keeper, but right now he seems as nervous as a kitten.

• Options
    Do hate the manager's press comments though. We could just be listening to Parkinson, Pardew, or indeed, Powell. More spin than the house of commons.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

Do hate the manager's press comments though. We could just be listening to Parkinson, Pardew, or indeed, Powell. More spin than the house of commons.

Sounded quite honest to me, admitted we weren't good enough, and had no idea why we started so badly. Admitted that Fox came off because he was struggling.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!