Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket World Cup 2015 (and build up to)

Comments

• Options
    WestSA said:

What I still can't believe is why the rules haven't progressed to allow the game hours to be extended? It happens in tennis with delays so why not with day/night matches in a world cup? Not a massive difference between finishing at 11pm or 1am if it means getting a full game in without one side being disadvantaged

Yeah, I'd be dead chuffed, staying to 1am for the end of a game & missing my last train home :smile:
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @WestSA: I agree. Games of this importance, whenever possible should be played to the end .. there is always a spare day available and this should be utilised .. OK, perhaps spectators who have assigned just the one day to go to the game will lose out, but these games are semi-finals of a major tournament and it's a farce that they should be decided on the whims of an arithmetical formula, the Duckworth-Lewis, rather than by putting bat to ball for the statutory 50 overs a side.
  • Options

@WestSA: I agree. Games of this importance, whenever possible should be played to the end .. there is always a spare day available and this should be utilised .. OK, perhaps spectators who have assigned just the one day to go to the game will lose out, but these games are semi-finals of a major tournament and it's a farce that they should be decided on the whims of an arithmetical formula, the Duckworth-Lewis, rather than by putting bat to ball for the statutory 50 overs a side.

Yes but can you imagine the overtime Sky would have to pay to the likes of Athers. Equally, I can't imagine Beefy working an extra day when he's already organised a fishing trip!

I suspect that it is the likes of Sky who dictate the scheduling.
  • Options
    I agree @Lincsaddick. I didn't realise the public transport aspect but if then it can be deemed reasonable to play on a spare day why is it not more reasonable for games with two hours or less lost to still be able to continue till 1am. This is a World Cup and tbh officials can make arrangements for the supporters with the later finish. But the fairness and proper outcome of the game is paramount in such a tournament rather than if the finish inconveniences some fans.
  • Options
    Wow what a game of cricket! England so far off that level it's frightening.
  • Options
    Most of the recent big tournos in England have included a reserve day .
    All to do with tv and money - surprise,surprise.

BTW fantastic game - with fantastic bowling (Boult) and incredible batting (ABDV,Miller,Mccullum and Elliott)
  • Options
    Australia batting
  • Options
    Finch (1 from 12) looking decidedly nervy but is Warner (12 from 6) who goes.

15-1
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Warner gone 12(7)

15-1 off 3.1
  • Options
    56-1 off 10

Finch 11* (27) & Smith 30* (26) looking particularly good
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Australia have a decent platform to launch an assault.

155-1 off 30

Finch 56 (93) & Smith 80 (79)
  • Options
    Smith goes for an excellent 105 (93)

197-2 off 34.1
  • Options
    231-2 off 37

Maxwell is looking awesome - 23 (12) with Finch still there on a somewhat pedestrian to date 79 (110).
  • Options
    Maxwell won't thank me for that last comment as immediately, he pulls Ashwin straight to Rahane to go for 23 (14).

232-3 off 37.3
  • Options
    And then, almost inevitably, Finch follows for 81 (116).

233-4 off 38.2

Two new bats with Watson and Clarke at the crease.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    239-4 off 40

Only a couple of overs ago Australia were looking at 380 plus. 340 more likely now.
  • Options
    All going wrong for the Aussies. Clarke, like Finch, mistimes a pull straight to mid wicket - 10 (12)

248-5 off 42.1
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Faulkner goes for 21 (12). Watson continues to disappoint in the circumstances - 18 (25).

284-6 off 46.3
  • Options
    And then, having hit a couple of boundaries, Watson holes out at deep square leg for 28 (30).

298-7 off 47.5
  • Options
    328-7 innings closed. Some great hitting from Johnson 27* (9) at the end with Haddin 7* (7).

Australia will, nevertheless, be disappointed that they "only" got 98 in the last 13 overs such is the nature of one day cricket now. India will probably feel that they do have a decent chance now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent start for India at 55-0 after 10 overs. 16 just coming off Faulkner's first over.

Australia at the same stage were 56-1.
  • Options
    With India in control Dhawan (46 off 41) gives his wicket away by hitting the ball straight to Maxwell at deep cover.

76-1 off 13

• Options
    Kohli bounced out by Johnson - perhaps a sign of the batsman's frustration with just a single to his name from 13 balls. In the space of less than three overs India have gone from being ahead of the game to having to dig in.

78-2 off 15.3
  • Options
    Cmon India.
  • Options
    Sharma smashes Johnson for a six. And plays on the very next ball. Sharma scored 34 (48).

91-3 off 18.
  • Options
    95-3 off 20. Just 19 runs in 7 overs for the loss of three wickets.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Clarke bringing on his big guns in Starc and Johnson to try to rip thru them.Good captaincy - not quite Cookesque - he'd have brought on Bopara !
  • Options
    Raina plays a nothing shot off Faulkner and guides into Haddin's gloves for 7 (11)

108-4 off 23

Rahane and Dhoni really have to put on a big ton for India to have any sort of chance.
  • Options
    138-4 off 30

191 required off the last 20
  • Options
    170-4 off 35

159 off last 15 required