Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cricket World Cup 2015 (and build up to)

Here is the 15 man squad, released in full this morning:

Eoin Morgan (Middlesex) (Capt)
Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)
James Anderson (Lancashire)
Gary Ballance (Yorkshire)
Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
Ravi Bopara (Essex)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
Steven Finn (Middlesex)
Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire)
Chris Jordan (Sussex)
Joe Root (Yorkshire)
James Taylor (Nottinghamshire)
James Tredwell (Kent)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

Will be interesting to see how Morgan's team go against Australia and India in the tri-series beforehand...

Comments

• Nice to see the Balance in the squad.
  • Think Bell and Finn are making up the numbers a bit, maybe Balance v Hales and Jordan v Woakes for the last couple of spots? Will be interesting certainly, think that side could do OK but can't see us getting near winning it.
  • What no Cook ?
    Who do I complain to ?
    That's ruined my xmas.
  • edited December 2014
    Also good to see Trott is back on tour. He will captain the England Lions for a tour of South Africa. The squad includes Sam Billings and Adam Riley of Kent, as well as Matthew Dunn and Jason Roy of Surrey.
  • Once they took the decision I never thought they would make following Downton's defence of Cook, this was always going to be the 15.

Much depends on form between now and the WC but, assuming Hales finds some, I expect Ballance, Bell and Jordan to be left out with the last place, depending on the wicket, to be a battle between Treders and Finn with the latter, more often than not, getting the vote:

Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)
    Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire)
    James Taylor (Nottinghamshire)
    Joe Root (Yorkshire)
    Ravi Bopara (Essex)
    Eoin Morgan (Middlesex) (Capt)
    Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
    Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
    Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
    Steven Finn (Middlesex)
    James Anderson (Lancashire)
  • Stokes sending a message that he's found his bat again - batted beautifully for 77 off 37 in the Big Bash. And that's out of a total of 106-3 off 11.3 with Stokes the only batsman to hit a boundary so far!
  • Good to see our players finding some form in the lead up to the tournament.
  • can someone update this thread when the last two overs of Englands games on so I can have a watch.

Indeed - except Stokes isn't in the World Cup squad.
  • Sponsored links:

Indeed - except Stokes isn't in the World Cup squad.
    Doh!
  • Stokes will likely come in for any injury
  • Stokes will likely come in for any injury

What? In front of Cook ;-)
  • can someone update this thread when the last two overs of Englands games on so I can have a watch.

Why do you want to watch England lose?

Why do you want to watch England lose?
    He only wants a short sharp shock. Some of us prefer the sleep deprivation mode of torture - although with England's batting insomnia shouldn't be an issue.

Hales chops on for 7. And he is in our squad ;-(

If England bat first that will probably mean overs 36-37
  • MrOneLung said:

can someone update this thread when the last two overs of Englands games on so I can have a watch.

If England bat first that will probably mean overs 36-37
    Ok thanks, as long as it doesn't clash with the Mongolian womens Badminton league 3rd division play offs Ill have watch.

• that team doesn't inspire me to believe we might have a chance
  • Stokes sending a message that he's found his bat again - batted beautifully for 77 off 37 in the Big Bash. And that's out of a total of 106-3 off 11.3 with Stokes the only batsman to hit a boundary so far!

Somewhat extraordinary that Carbery has just hit a match winning innings - 77 off 37!

He's not in the squad either.
  • Sponsored links:

Somewhat extraordinary that Carbery has just hit a match winning innings - 77 off 37!

TBH, quite surprised that most of the English players (except Freddie) are doing well in the BBL - and virtually all of them of not in the ODI squad- especially when you see the quality of the Oz players around such as Finch,Dunk,White.

TBH, quite surprised that most of the English players (except Freddie) are doing well in the BBL - and virtually all of them of not in the ODI squad- especially when you see the quality of the Oz players around such as Finch,Dunk,White.
    Jason Roy, however, on an extremely green "drop in" pitch is dropped second ball but caught fourth for four.
  • England score 364/6 from their 50 overs against ACT XI.
  • England score 364/6 from their 50 overs against ACT XI.

Looks like this really was a "friendly" - Bell, Ali, Taylor, Root and Bopara all got 50s with Morgan 32 and Woakes 45*.

ACT only managed 148 so we scraped a win by 216 runs. Treders was pick of the bowlers with 3-11.
  • edited January 2015
    Anybody see Gayle's innings yesterday ? - he sure knows how to hit a cricket ball ! - though Altitude does help somewhat - just ask Mick Lewis !
  • Trott scores 176* with the Lions.
  • England currently 270+ for 1. Bell, Ali and Taylor scoring heavily. Bell with a ton. Reckon he'll be opening then? Not my first choice but better than Cook I suppose
  • Nailed on now. Hales won't make the starting line up.
  • And rightly so if Bell's going to play like that!

Ali's role in this batting resurgence is key IMO - note how he scored 71 of the first 113 runs, enabling Bell to accelerate at his own pace
  • Bell made 187 in the end. Against more than respectable opposition too.

Unless something untoward occurs and/or they decide to go in without a spinner, this will be the starting WC X1:

Bell
    Ali
    Taylor
    Root
    Morgan
    Bopara
    Buttler
    Woakes
    Broad
    Tredwell
    Anderson