Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ghost tube stations

124»

Comments

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    cabbles said:
    there was an old escalator connection between monument and bank? what did that mean, they're quite far apart as stations, I can't imagine there literally was an escalator stretching between the two. Am i being a tad thick?
    Yes. It's still there between the west end of the District/Circle platforms and the Central line platforms.

It's at the end of Northern Line platforms.

As a contrast to closed stations, The rebuilt Bank station is a handy connection instead of London Bridge to get to Charlton, as the new Bank entrance is virtually opposite Cannon Street station. 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    cabbles said:
    there was an old escalator connection between monument and bank? what did that mean, they're quite far apart as stations, I can't imagine there literally was an escalator stretching between the two. Am i being a tad thick?
    Yes. It's still there between the west end of the District/Circle platforms and the Central line platforms.

It's at the end of Northern Line platforms.

As a contrast to closed stations, The rebuilt Bank station is a handy connection instead of London Bridge to get to Charlton, as the new Bank entrance is virtually opposite Cannon Street station. 
    Not when they keep closing Cannon Street at weekends for engineering works.
  • Options
    I went on my tour of Down Street last week - very good - recommend it - fascinating place, and goes to show what can be done in times of crisis, when the chips are down, the red tape is removed, and people are simply left to get on with what needs to be done in double quick time

Only draw back, is that it is on the Piccadilly Line, and trains come through regularly - when they do, it’s very loud, but the tour guides carried on talking, so I missed some of what they were saying - I guess they have to do that, otherwise the tour would go on too long, with them having to stop talking so regularly

If you go, don’t wear your best clothes, as it’s very dirty, and wear stout shoes - if you have mobility problems, forget it, as there is no lift, and a steep spiral staircase that goes down a long way
    Were you allowed to take pictures?  I always try and glimpse it when I’m on the Piccadilly line in between Green park and Hyde park corner.  I never know what side to look and the tube is often going too quickly.  I’m positive it can be seen 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    cabbles said:
    I went on my tour of Down Street last week - very good - recommend it - fascinating place, and goes to show what can be done in times of crisis, when the chips are down, the red tape is removed, and people are simply left to get on with what needs to be done in double quick time

Only draw back, is that it is on the Piccadilly Line, and trains come through regularly - when they do, it’s very loud, but the tour guides carried on talking, so I missed some of what they were saying - I guess they have to do that, otherwise the tour would go on too long, with them having to stop talking so regularly

If you go, don’t wear your best clothes, as it’s very dirty, and wear stout shoes - if you have mobility problems, forget it, as there is no lift, and a steep spiral staircase that goes down a long way
    Were you allowed to take pictures?  I always try and glimpse it when I’m on the Piccadilly line in between Green park and Hyde park corner.  I never know what side to look and the tube is often going too quickly.  I’m positive it can be seen 
    Yes you are allowed to take pictures, but not ones that have the tour guides in them (weirdly) - if you are going east on the Piccadilly Line look to your right, and right as well if you are going west - you will see lights, but only briefly, as most of the platforms are bricked up to provide the offices and accommodation etc - clearly the Tube engineers use it as a dumping ground for all manner of equipment and other stuff, which is everywhere 

When in use during WW2 it had some impressive areas, incl a fully kitted out kitchen with proper job chefs, a lovely dining room (which Churchill had a calling button installed so that he could press to summon the waiter for more booze !!!) - no rationing down there, so they ate very well - the sleeping arrangements can’t have been nice though, as the noise when a train goes through is deafening 

An easier old station to see when travelling on the tube is the old Tower Hill station, which you can clearly see when heading east on the District / Circle line just before the Tower Hill station that replaced it - look to your left
  • Options
    edited August 2023

More on Down Street - they kept a short section of platform, and users of the bunker could press a button, which would put on a red signal, the next train would stop, and the person stopping the train would get in the drivers cab to travel wherever - drivers were never told what was there, nor who these people were, and to just accept it and ask no questions (albeit I suspect a lot of LU staff knew about it, as you can’t keep something like this totally secret) - that red signal button is still there and can be used

Churchill’s wife used that short section of platform / signal to regularly travel by tube to visit bombed out areas of the docks / East End

The station is also retained as a disaster evacuation station - if there was a major incident and they needed to get passengers off quickly, and a train was near Down St, they would stop there, passengers would get off, and be taken up to street level via the ventilation tunnel, and up the spiral stairs - people with mobility problems ? Well I have no idea how they would deal with them…..

Good site here with description, history and photos https://www.subbrit.org.uk/sites/down-street-station/