Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ghost tube stations

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    cabbles said:
    there was an old escalator connection between monument and bank? what did that mean, they're quite far apart as stations, I can't imagine there literally was an escalator stretching between the two. Am i being a tad thick?
    Yes. It's still there between the west end of the District/Circle platforms and the Central line platforms.

• Options
    Surely Hobb's (Hob's) Lane has to be the ghostliest!
    Missed this post from 8 years ago but as no one else reacted I'll just say very good @Oliver Street
  • Options
    They literally contradict themselves in the article, apparently it was a miscommunication and the driver said he had no idea what was happening, but at the same time claim the customers were meant to get off at Green Park and shouldn't have been on the train anyway... So which one is it?
  • Options
    oh that would be great - you can book tours but it costs .
    Yes a friend mentioned to me about a tour a few years back, can't remember the station but I think it was about £100.
    Also saw something similar advertised recently & I might be having a senior moment here but sure it said photography is not allowed ?
  • Options
    They sometimes use Charing X (disused) and a stabling/turnaround Jubilee trains.
    Most nights will have engineering trains parked.
    There is a vent shaft/ demobilising shaft that pops up behind a restaurant in Covent Garden that is TfL owned that has ownership rights.
  • Options
    Excuse me while I feel old - can remember the Charing Cross bit of the Jubilee line being new and shiny...

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    Not on the tube, but the Aladdin's Cave Junk Shop on Loampit Hill, Lewisham is house in the building that used to be Lewisham Road Railway Station (closed 1917).
    Amazing the things you learn about South East London. That junk shop would it be on left going towards New Cross ?
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZzHtxf9TNI
    Hah - I was pissed a couple of years ago and went round the 'Kennington Loop' for a laugh. You're meant to get off, as it says in the video, the train terminates, it then runs empty round the big loop towards Oval, and curves back round to Kennington station to start back Northbound. Was stuck in the loop about 10 mins waiting for other trains. Didn't see or hear anything weird on that occasion, though!
    Ever thought about putting it to music?

Never seen you drink mate😎
  • Options
    Week after next I am going on a tour of Down Street Tube Station - you can book numerous tours of different places via the London Transport Museum website - can’t wait - hoping that Siddi lady on the ‘Secrets of the London Underground’ television show is doing the tour, as she is rather tasty !!
  • Options
    clive said:

Tube mishap sees train pull into abandoned station

• Tube passengers on the Jubilee line were left baffled after their train ended up at the abandoned Charing Cross station branch

• The Jubilee line section of the station has been out of use since 1999

• The passengers were all safely rerouted back to Green Park

• TfL said the mishap was the result of a "miscommunication"

I seem to recall it was at Charing Cross we got the jubilee line train that day in May 1998 to go to Wembley. It hadn’t been the intention to do so but there were loads of other fans heading for it so decided to follow suit. Seems fitting that it was retired shortly after that in recognition of the Greatest Game ever at Wembley…probably a plaque on a wall somewhere in the station to record it 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Week after next I am going on a tour of Down Street Tube Station - you can book numerous tours of different places via the London Transport Museum website - can’t wait - hoping that Siddi lady on the ‘Secrets of the London Underground’ television show is doing the tour, as she is rather tasty !!
    Before you start, check out the RAF building that is local and on Piccadilly (facing Green Park).
    On the tour you should be informed of an access from Down Street directly into this building.
    If only to give you a sense of direction.
    Churchill would have used this as a to/fro access point.
    Done a fair bit of work on that disused station.
    Very interesting and a tour I certainly would have chosen.
    Also had the fortune of dining in the RAF building one evening.

If you are ever travelling on Pic line from Green Park to Hyde Pk Corner, keep an eye out for this station.
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Before you start, check out the RAF building that is local and on Piccadilly (facing Green Park).
    On the tour you should be informed of an access from Down Street directly into this building.
    If only to give you a sense of direction.
    Churchill would have used this as a to/fro access point.
    Done a fair bit of work on that disused station.
    Very interesting and a tour I certainly would have chosen.
    Also had the fortune of dining in the RAF building one evening.

If you are ever travelling on Pic line from Green Park to Hyde Pk Corner, keep an eye out for this station.

Thanks for this - I will ensure that I do that 
  • Options
    what was the reason the Jubilee line at Charing Cross was closed ?

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

The Jubilee line [Fleet Line] was intended to extend via Trafalgar Square, towards Aldwych as shown in the map below.
    An article on this here https://www.mylondon.news/news/south-london-news/lost-london-underground-fleet-line-17174037
    Digital file image of early Fleet Line map 1971  London

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Jubilee Line Extension. 
    Diverts off the Jubilee after Westminster to serve Waterloo and London Bridge before heading out to Canary Wharf and Stratford. 
    The Jubilee Line was originally supposed to go to New Cross, but staying on the north bank of the Thames to serve Aldwych and Fenchurch Street, before heading towards south London. This put it on the wrong alignment to serve Waterloo from Charing Cross, as the former Jubilee station at Charing Cross runs parallel to, and under the Strand road. 
    It got canned on reaching the new Charing Cross station (cost reasons, I think), although the running tunnels extend almost to Aldwych.
  • Options
    There was also a plan for a 'River line' branch which would have come to the Royal Docks and on to Thamesmead.

Weird to think that Canary Wharf station might have been named Millwall instead!

Good article about the Fleet line here: https://www.londonreconnections.com/2015/diving-into-the-fleet-a-look-at-londons-lost-tube/
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    P.S. the reason that there are two westbound platforms at North Greenwich station is because passive provision was made for a future branch of the Jubilee line similar to the above. It's obviously highly unlikely to ever happen now as we have the Elizabeth line instead.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Not on the tube, but the Aladdin's Cave Junk Shop on Loampit Hill, Lewisham is house in the building that used to be Lewisham Road Railway Station (closed 1917).
    Amazing the things you learn about South East London. That junk shop would it be on left going towards New Cross ?

No, it's on the right going from Lewisham towards New Cross.  Disused Stations website has probably more than you want to know here.

The line it was on originally ran to Greenwich (Park) station - the bit from Nunhead to Lewisham Road got connected in to the Charing Cross - Lewisham line after it had closed, but there's not much of the Greenwich Park line left to see, as most of it's been built on.  There's a few places where you can see where it went, like what's left of the embankment at the south end of Brookmill Park.

• Options
    MrLargo said:

No, it's on the right going from Lewisham towards New Cross.  Disused Stations website has probably more than you want to know here.

The line it was on originally ran to Greenwich (Park) station - the bit from Nunhead to Lewisham Road got connected in to the Charing Cross - Lewisham line after it had closed, but there's not much of the Greenwich Park line left to see, as most of it's been built on.  There's a few places where you can see where it went, like what's left of the embankment at the south end of Brookmill Park.

One of the platforms is visible on the left as the train leaves Lewisham heading to Nunhead.

Part of the alignment for the line to Greenwich Park station is used by the DLR.
  • Options
    For those interested.

Hidden London | London Transport Museum (ltmuseum.co.uk)

When I was in London I did a few of these and they are quite good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Interesting the things you forget. Must have pasted that booking hall thousands of times between 1970 to 1981 without realizing what it had been.

Cheers for your local knowledge.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Interesting the things you forget. Must have pasted that booking hall thousands of times between 1970 to 1981 without realizing what it had been.

There was a station at the bottom of Blackheath Hill.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Crusty54 said:
    MrLargo said:

There was a station at the bottom of Blackheath Hill.
    You can still see the outline of the ticket office on the neighbouring building 

• Options
    Didn’t know that.If I have read this correctly Blackheath Hill station would be on left side of road walking down hill towards London.

In the 1970s used to be pub on left side before crossroads. Between Dover Court flats and pub (coach and horses or Horse and Groom I think? Otherwise of crossroads was The Albert pup old disco pub1970s.

Sorry I am just trying to get my bearings,history and time play tricks sometimes.
  • Options
    Didn’t know that.If I have read this correctly Blackheath Hill station would be on left side of road walking down hill towards London.

In the 1970s used to be pub on left side before crossroads. Between Dover Court flats and pub (coach and horses or Horse and Groom I think? Otherwise of crossroads was The Albert pup old disco pub1970s.

Sorry I am just trying to get my bearings,history and time play tricks sometimes.
    Correct - left hand side before the junction where you turn right to go to Greenwich
  • Options
    There’s a good write-up on the Greenwich Park branch line here:

https://runner500.wordpress.com/2017/10/12/in-search-of-the-greenwich-park-branch-part-1-greenwich-to-blackheath-hill/

The Ibis Hotel is where the station was, Burney St car park the platforms. Then it cut across Royal Hill - the old Greenwich police station, now a new development of flats, was built on top of it and you can trace it further by following more recent buildings in among historic stuff. 
  • Options
    There’s a good write-up on the Greenwich Park branch line here:

https://runner500.wordpress.com/2017/10/12/in-search-of-the-greenwich-park-branch-part-1-greenwich-to-blackheath-hill/

The Ibis Hotel is where the station was, Burney St car park the platforms. Then it cut across Royal Hill - the old Greenwich police station, now a new development of flats, was built on top of it and you can trace it further by following more recent buildings in among historic stuff. 
    And if you look on Google Maps you can see in the satellite picture where the railway line ran along behind the Richard 1st - there's a load of allotments there now.

Also, just at the Lewisham end of St John's station you can still see the old railway embankment where the line from Nunhead went straight across on its way to Greenwich, whereas now it curves around to go to Loosham.

Choo chooooooo!
    😉