Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ghost tube stations

Comments

• Options

A few years ago I was lucky enough to be taken on a tour of Down Street - a mate of a mate knew someone, and a group of us were shown around by the station manager from Hyde Park Corner.

Here are some pictures... it was dirty, dusty, eerie, but fascinating. The engineering work gangs still use it for storage.

I enjoyed those mate, thanks for sharing
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Some time next year I will be at Down street for a while as I will be overseeing the building of a new SER ( signal equipment room ) in there to supply The new signalling system that the pic line is getting
  • Options

http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/ has probably more about London's abandoned underground stations than most people will want to know...

I'm puzzled by the 'Angel' visit referred to above. Angel did not have escalators until after it was rebuilt - like most 'deep tube' stations built before escalators were used, it was built with lifts and a spiral emergency staircase.

I'm trying to think which station it might have been.

And yes, as others have said, it did have a single platform in between the two tracks - the City & South London built to this style - two of the three Clapham stations on the northern line still have these.

and http://www.mailrail.co.uk/ has more about the post office railway

You may be right as i'm basing this upon childhood memories. I do remember running up and down wooden escalators though.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Some pictures from the disused platform 5 at Holburn

Picture 2 - Hows your luck? Being there the same time as Doctor Who.
  • Options
    There's a guy called Bradley Garrett that got into all sorts of trouble with the police over "place hacking" which is essentially going into dissused tube stations and the like .

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/may/22/oxford-university-academic-shard-jail-place-hacker-garrett
  • Options
    buckshee said:

There's a guy called Bradley Garrett that got into all sorts of trouble with the police over "place hacking" which is essentially going into dissused tube stations and the like .

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/may/22/oxford-university-academic-shard-jail-place-hacker-garrett

Some of the Urbex stuff scares the beejesus out of me.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

interesting stuf
  • Options
    Will be in down street next week
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What you doing? I was tasked with moving the service head/switchgear from street level basement. Keys at Green Park.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Strand station was converted - along with Trafalgar Square - into the new Charing Cross underground station. Embankment station was previously called Charing Cross. Warren Street used to be called Euston Road, and name evidence is still on the platform. The GPO had its own tube line (different gauge), running post trains from Liverpool street (I think), through Mount Pleasant, along Oxford Street to Paddington, with about six station stops on the way. I think that closed down about ten years ago, although the lines are still there?

I used to work in two of the buildings that had the railway (Rathbone Place) now demolished and (Paddington) which i think has closed as well.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

cabbles said:

I have done a lot of work recently at both King William St and Down St. King William St is accessed via Regis House ( building adjacent to Monument/London Bridge). Suffers regularly with water ingress fron the Thames. Churchills bath still remains at Down St, as does a telephone exchange/ switchboard.
    Charing X (disused) sits behind a bank of doors as you travel down the first flight of escalators from the train station.

That must be pretty impressive to see. What do they do now with these disused stations, just leave them as they were, or have they been demolished where the platforms were etc?
    If you travel on the Piccadilly Line, look out for Down Street station. It is located between Hyde Park Corner and Green Park.
    The platforms are still visible, and they have rooms built on them. These were sleeping quarters that were fitted with bunk beds.
    Churchill had a lift installed at this station, up the centre of the circular staircase.

The end of the (now redundant) Central Line is now run by enthusiasts ( Epping - Ongar).
    We've recently moved to Covent Garden and I get the Piccadilly line from Green Park, I thought it was Aldwych that I might be able to see, just checked this thread again and it's Down Street. Can Aldwych be seen at all?
  • Options
    edited April 2015

What you doing? I was tasked with moving the service head/switchgear from street level basement. Keys at Green Park.

Pic signal up grades, whole line is getting new signalling system with new SER at each station plus PED doors on all platforms bar the 6 where it runs on the met. No space at Hyde park corner so SER is being built at down street, they also need to be duel fed so your work could be related to that. I've been doing cable route surveys and applying for the space apps.

Off nights now permanently got a desk at WFC
  • Options
    Not an underground station as such but on the Thameslink line between Faringdon and St Pancras International looks like a once used station which the City Thameslink trains travel through. Does anyone know anything about this station ?
  • Options
    Brian said:

Not an underground station as such but on the Thameslink line between Faringdon and St Pancras International looks like a once used station which the City Thameslink trains travel through. Does anyone know anything about this station ?

That was Kings Cross Thameslink station.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Cross_Thameslink_railway_station
  • Options

Brian said:

lettered platforms rather than numbered. I have a feeling there is only one other platform in London that uses letters, can any of you trainspotters name it?
  • Options
    i am sure waterloo east has lettered platforms
  • Options
    lolwray said:

i am sure waterloo east has lettered platforms

straight in there lolwray. I'd say well done but it's probably too easy a question on this site :wink:
  • Options

Brian said:

Thanks, I had often wondered when going through it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

I have done a lot of work recently at both King William St and Down St. King William St is accessed via Regis House ( building adjacent to Monument/London Bridge). Suffers regularly with water ingress fron the Thames. Churchills bath still remains at Down St, as does a telephone exchange/ switchboard.
    Charing X (disused) sits behind a bank of doors as you travel down the first flight of escalators from the train station.

That must be pretty impressive to see. What do they do now with these disused stations, just leave them as they were, or have they been demolished where the platforms were etc?
    If you travel on the Piccadilly Line, look out for Down Street station. It is located between Hyde Park Corner and Green Park.
    The platforms are still visible, and they have rooms built on them. These were sleeping quarters that were fitted with bunk beds.
    Churchill had a lift installed at this station, up the centre of the circular staircase.

The end of the (now redundant) Central Line is now run by enthusiasts ( Epping - Ongar).
    We've recently moved to Covent Garden and I get the Piccadilly line from Green Park, I thought it was Aldwych that I might be able to see, just checked this thread again and it's Down Street. Can Aldwych be seen at all?
    Isn't it Aldwych that can bee seen down Surrey Street?
  • Options
    Stig said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

I meant the actual station platforms when you are the tube, I think I confused it with the Down Street example above because it was on the Piccadilly line
  • Options
    there was an old escalator connection between monument and bank? what did that mean, they're quite far apart as stations, I can't imagine there literally was an escalator stretching between the two. Am i being a tad thick?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    re : Aldwych. Interesting article on Time on Out about this.http://now-here-this.timeout.com/2011/12/02/we-take-a-trip-deep-underground-in-aldwych-station/
    Intriguing this type of activity.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Stig said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

I meant the actual station platforms when you are the tube, I think I confused it with the Down Street example above because it was on the Piccadilly line
    Aldwych is on a little spur of its own, so it can't be seen from passing trains. There was just a shuttle service between Aldwych and Holborn.

Monument and Bank are still linked - they're effectively the same station, from a passenger's point of view.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Stig said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Aldwych is on a little spur of its own, so it can't be seen from passing trains. There was just a shuttle service between Aldwych and Holborn.

Monument and Bank are still linked - they're effectively the same station, from a passenger's point of view.
    I see. Thanks
  • Options
    Surely Hobb's (Hob's) Lane has to be the ghostliest!
  • Options
    oh that would be great - you can book tours but it costs .