Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benty on loan! (to Brighton)

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:

The guy has scored a ton of goals since leaving Charlton, including a few for England for christ sake.

Villa and Fulham have been two of the most miserable and depressing clubs to be at in the past few years, both with absolute pillocks for managers.

Darren Bent would be an improvement on George with his eyes closed and standing on one leg.

Lambert is a decent manager. He's done well everywhere he's been. Keeping Villa up with no money to spend and blooding young players, while not glamorous is a good achievement in my book. There's a reason Darren Bent has been bench warming at Villa and at Fulham under a few different managers.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    If he signs we could save a few quid by getting him to wear JFH's old shorts.
  • Options

I think we were paying around 10-20% of Sordell's wages last season.

I heard it was 5k a week out of 15k - a shame he didn't show up until Riga coached the best out of him at the end. Thing is we have him for a year then Burnley buy him from Bolton.

We can't get quality strikers from our academy. We don't appear to be able to loan quality from the FAPL like Banford. Liege have sold their top strikers so the only answer appears to be for M.Duchatelet to dig deep and go back in for Baheback or someone else in Europe.

I wont comment on Darren Bent until I see him play in the Championship but I expect he's on £30k per week and Villa will want a good chunk of that... Peeters went on the record a while back stating quality loan strikers were too expensive - perhaps we made enquiries?
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I heard it was 5k a week out of 15k - a shame he didn't show up until Riga coached the best out of him at the end. Thing is we have him for a year then Burnley buy him from Bolton.

We can't get quality strikers from our academy. We don't appear to be able to loan quality from the FAPL like Banford. Liege have sold their top strikers so the only answer appears to be for M.Duchatelet to dig deep and go back in for Baheback or someone else in Europe.

I wont comment on Darren Bent until I see him play in the Championship but I expect he's on £30k per week and Villa will want a good chunk of that... Peeters went on the record a while back stating quality loan strikers were too expensive - perhaps we made enquiries?
    Multiply that a few times.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    It's a 'not gonna happen' anyway .. The owner has made it plain that a tight financial control regime is in place at CAFC .. even if Bent were to be 'available', there is no way that under present circumstances, a 30 year old, unfit, out of form player on big wages would be considered a viable signing even though he was a very popular and successful player for the Addicks, albeit SEVEN years ago
  • Options

Bent on 30k? Double that and then some
  • Options
    edited November 2014

It's a 'not gonna happen' anyway .. The owner has made it plain that a tight financial control regime is in place at CAFC .. even if Bent were to be 'available', there is no way that under present circumstances, a 30 year old, unfit, out of form player on big wages would be considered a viable signing even though he was a very popular and successful player for the Addicks, albeit SEVEN years ago

Exactly. He wouldn't even keep a forward (Yann) who was of a similar age and a very popular current player because his wage demands were too high, so no chance of anyone like Bent. Which actually, I don't have a problem with. I'd rather us find someone like Assombalonga.
  • Options

Exactly. He wouldn't even keep a forward (Yann) who was of a similar age and a very popular current player because his wage demands were too high, so no chance of anyone like Bent. Which actually, I don't have a problem with. I'd rather us find someone like Assombalonga.
    Who cost £5m rising to £8m???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    but went from Watford to Peterborough a year earlier for 1.2m. Need to spot potential early to get a bargain.
  • Options
    Bent has gone to Brighton. Breaking News on SKY.
  • Options

but went from Watford to Peterborough a year earlier for 1.2m. Need to spot potential early to get a bargain.

We did spot potential early. He is currently banging them in in the proximus league.
  • Options
    Confirmed by Brighton.
  • Options
    Sad news
  • Options
    Prefer YK back for this team to be honest.

*walks out and moves on*
  • Options

Who cost £5m rising to £8m???
    I didn't necessarily mean for the same price but my point is that we should be looking to unearth forwards / players like that. It's certainly a closer fit to Roland's model than signing expensive Premier League rejects that have seen better days.

Bent has gone to Brighton. Breaking News on SKY.

Must be a slow new day for them!
  • Options
    hope he bangs in a hat trick on Friday 12th December, live on Sky
  • Options
    maybe he'll play for their U21's tonight!!!!
  • Options
    pish
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Some great memories on those films. The first goal I always think of regarding Bent was Birmingham at home, where he out sprinted and outmuscled Melchiot, yet made it look effortlessly easy before slotting past the keeper.

That was the game where I realised I'd lost my ticket as I was approaching the turnstile and went and got p*****ed instead. Hence my username.
  • Options
    I'm unsure really, I think there is a lot of nostalgia there which explains a lot of the reaction on here. I think it would have been a gamble and not exactly a cheap on either.
  • Options

Shame we didn't go for him. Has our owner/coach got anything against English/British players.
    Only don't recall signing any except youngsters already here since August?

Yes, English players are regarded as expensive, but many of the lower league clubs know little about players abroad, whereas RD knows little about British players and has a strong scouting network abroad.
  • Options
    no doubt .. in his prime and pomp Bent was a superb striker for us
  • Options

Forgot this classic:

What George should have done on Saturday and what Bent just isn't capable of anymore.
  • Options
    my favourite Benty goal
  • Options

Forgot this classic:

I've been trying to find that goal online forever. You are my hero