Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morgan Fox

Comments

• Options

I personally have not been a fan, but credit where it's due he had a good game yesterday.
    Was it because he had bergdich in front working hard? Or was it down to Riga? Or even having his mate back?

Bit of all of that I think.

Did well. Got left 1 on 2 for their goal but he still nearly got to the cross.

having Lennon and Jorge inside must help him too.
    Imagine Bauer and Jorge inside him, I might have have to go to 7.5 for him!
  • Options
    I think Bauer is going to have to work to get his place back which is a very good thing
  • Options
    Does anyone think that he is one of our younger players and a bit like Cousins, been completely over played?.
  • Options
    Personally think he is the weakest link in defense, did not see anything yesterday that changed my mind.
    Would like to see Bergdich at left back and given a proper run in the team.
  • Options

Personally think he is the weakest link in defense, did not see anything yesterday that changed my mind.
    Would like to see Bergdich at left back and given a proper run in the team.

Thought he did alot better yesterday. Noticeably won more headers.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I didn't reach Tutt-Tutt level but what i did when i was Manager/coach was make sure that the team had partnerships all over the field.
    So a LB would link with the left mid field when he overlapped,
    Plus unlike Everton, who i noticed push both full backs forward at the same time, If fox gets forward then Solly would stay back. plus yesterday Bergdich is a better defensive player than Harriott, so Fox had more confidence when getting forward, This only broke down the once, but as we all know our nemesis was lurking to take advantage.

I hope people noticed how many attacks we did down the Left in the 1st half when Bergdich had his best 45 minutes since joining us. no surprise he didn't have the impact in the second half as he had played so few games.

Fox has taken dogs abuse at times, But the real problem is he may just be an average player(can still improve) but with a cohesive and clear plan like yesterday he had a decent game. Fox and the rest of our young players suffer more from iffy tactics when they reach our 1st team than being overplayed.
    It should go with out saying that a whole team of under 22 would be a major problem. (unless we had a team of Joe Gomez's !)
  • Options

I personally have not been a fan, but credit where it's due he had a good game yesterday.
    Was it because he had bergdich in front working hard? Or was it down to Riga? Or even having his mate back?

Poor lad would be incredibly sore afterwards though.
    Gave me a chuckle, how big is Jorge then!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Bikey is not fat. Huge yes, fat no.

Bikey?

• Options
    Frustrated with the whole 'the goal came from Fox's side, therefore it was his fault' remarks, and not just today.

I'm not saying he hasn't been at fault this season, or is the best defender, but some of the comments are mindless. Seen the goals from today and he is clearly trying to make up for the two centre backs being caught out of position when they scored their goal, yet it was his fault somehow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is still learning and done well today easy target needs to be left make mistakes without being ruined for them or his time with us will be tainted by mistakes caused by lack of confidence
  • Options

Frustrated with the whole 'the goal came from Fox's side, therefore it was his fault' remarks, and not just today.

I'm not saying he hasn't been at fault this season, or is the best defender, but some of the comments are mindless. Seen the goals from today and he is clearly trying to make up for the two centre backs being caught out of position when they scored their goal, yet it was his fault somehow.

I know I came out with one of those comments straight after the goal... I'm a huge defender of players when we concede goals including Morgan Fox.

I just felt with that particular goal it could have been avoided had he looked over his shoulder and had he realised that Burke was standing there completely unmarked (also felt Henderson could have done better though), hopefully its not something that the opposition are clocking on to as he drifts in quite a lot during matches... Despite that though, he did go on to have a good game today
  • Options

I know I came out with one of those comments straight after the goal... I'm a huge defender of players when we concede goals including Morgan Fox.

I just felt with that particular goal it could have been avoided had he looked over his shoulder and had he realised that Burke was standing there completely unmarked (also felt Henderson could have done better though), hopefully its not something that the opposition are clocking on to as he drifts in quite a lot during matches... Despite that though, he did go on to have a good game today
    but the two CHs had been dragged over and were standing on each others toes. Fox had to either stay wide and leave a huge gap in front of goal of shift over with the back four and fill that gap.

he filled the gap in the middle but left a gap outside that Rotherham exploited but he is not superman, he can't cover two positions at the same time.

he can however fill the position of scapegoat very well
  • Options
    He looks better (of course) with more help in front of him which has rarely been the case until recently .. in this respect, the other 'goat' Bergdich was superb today .. Fox had a very good game as did ALL the players in a comprehensive performance and victory
  • Options

I've looked at the replay of the goal a number of times. Initially, Fox is the only defender covering the centre of the pitch. Their number 9 has two of our defenders around him, yet none of them are close enough to prevent him receiving the ball. He receives the pass and then immediately plays it out to Burke in our left back position. Fox closes him down and does well to get as close to him as he did in my opinion.

I'm not Fox's biggest admirer, but I do think it's harsh to blame him for this one.
  • Options
    The stick that Morgan Fox has received has been over the top this season. But the last couple of game he has certainly stepped up, put in two good shifts and with decent management can progress. Today's goal was hardly down to him.
  • Options
    Fox is a clugger. He's at his best running forwards and while his crosses in aren't always super accurate, at least he gets there. He is normally better defensively than THD.

There is a Solly class player in him though.

Maybe another player who may do better with a coach who isn't a no nothing idiot. I hope so.

As I have shouted many times this season and last 'Come on Fox, close him down. TAKE HIM, TAKE HIM NOW.'

he doesn't have natural timing either on the ball or on the tackle but he's not super shit especially if he's given a job to do. Not a leader, not a super talent but a decent work horse in a well set up team. Reliable if given a limited role.

Can't underestimate reliability.
  • Options
    IA said:

Imagine Bauer and Jorge inside him
    I'd rather not, thanks.
    I am with you.
    That was the only time I've ever bigged up fox, been his biggest critic. I will say when players play well though.
    Watching him live like today you do see the bigger picture ie positioning and pace which I think he lacks badly. THD is from what I've seen is far better.
  • Options
    THD is definitely a better footballer but I think Fox is better defensively
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

IA said:

I'd rather not, thanks.
    I am with you.
    That was the only time I've ever bigged up fox, been his biggest critic. I will say when players play well though.
    Watching him live like today you do see the bigger picture ie positioning and pace which I think he lacks badly. THD is from what I've seen is far better.
    I think this is a whoosh moment
  • Options

gay
  • Options
    IA said:

IA said:

I'd rather not, thanks.
    I am with you.
    I think this is a whoosh moment
    Sorry bit slow, been drinking.
    Usually at my best after drinking!
  • Options

I've looked at the replay of the goal a number of times. Initially, Fox is the only defender covering the centre of the pitch. Their number 9 has two of our defenders around him, yet none of them are close enough to prevent him receiving the ball. He receives the pass and then immediately plays it out to Burke in our left back position. Fox closes him down and does well to get as close to him as he did in my opinion.

I'm not Fox's biggest admirer, but I do think it's harsh to blame him for this one.
    I've seen the goal again and more than happy to hold my hands up... Teixeira comes out of Defence (correctly) to challenge for a header.

Fox does cover for him in Central Defence which creates the space for Burke, sadly just one of those goals that couldnt be helped
  • Options

I've seen the goal again and more than happy to hold my hands up... Teixeira comes out of Defence (correctly) to challenge for a header.

Fox does cover for him in Central Defence which creates the space for Burke, sadly just one of those goals that couldnt be helped
    Without seeing more angles and replays, I don't know whether Bergdych should have been covering the LB position instead
  • Options

Without seeing more angles and replays, I don't know whether Bergdych should have been covering the LB position instead
    Maybe but cant remember how far forward he already was
  • Options
    Nope, his positioning is poor in general and gets caught too narrow too often, and as a player who hasn't got a lot of pace, he relies on where he places himself on the field. He also doesn't cross the ball enough for a modern full back and tends to stand off players or dive into tackles at the wrong time. If he is to become a decent full back despite his lack of pace, he needs to work on the other areas of his game, and quickly, otherwise he will languish in the lower leagues as we push THD and eventually Edwards through
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Nope, his positioning is poor in general and gets caught too narrow too often, and as a player who hasn't got a lot of pace, he relies on where he places himself on the field. He also doesn't cross the ball enough for a modern full back and tends to stand off players or dive into tackles at the wrong time. If he is to become a decent full back despite his lack of pace, he needs to work on the other areas of his game, and quickly, otherwise he will languish in the lower leagues as we push THD and eventually Edwards through

He's not super fast like THD can be but he's not that slow. Best games I've seen him play is when he does move forward and cross is. Doesn't do it enough, not all the crosses are any good, but a few times I've seen him charge down the wing and whip a half decent one in and then he looks like he can cut it at this level.

Have seen him have some shocking games where he doesn't go on and misses runs through but mostly where he had nothing in front of him.

• Options
    Regardless of many arguments of how good he is, a decent full back needs pace (perhaps why Solly sometimes struggles recently). You can teach better defending, running faster is more problematic.
  • Options
    Fox wasn't at fault for the goal. Teixeira was over on the by-line, perhaps he should have just let his man go alone. Lennon then mis-headed, leaving both centre haves, well out of position. Fox moved towards the centre, to fill the gap.

However, in the 2nd half we were attacking and Fox gave the ball to them. They broke and Fox should have sprinted to get back goalside of his man. However, he couldn't catch the man over about 60 metres, until it was almost too late. The player got in a curling shot, which Henderson saved at full length.

Fox, like Sarr, gets caught the wrong side of his man far too often. Schoolboy defending. Get goalside and don't pass across the face of your goal.