Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sparrows Lane extended development plans - PLANS APPROVED (pg 3)

Comments

• Options
    The work going on at SL at the moment is the laying of new 4G and 3G pitches. The main works should be starting June 2016?
  • Options

So £10m costs to improve the Academy will raise our value as a club by £10m

Doesn't just improve the academy. Better facilities for the first team as well.

But any buyer might prefer to buy when the building is finished rather than take the project on themselves.
  • Options
    The question is whether the spend adds the same amount of value or greater, including the interest. That's hard to prove, since no matter what income is received for a young player it will not be possible to attribute it to the spending over and above the minimum, which in this case was zero on the original scheme.

In addition the mandatory commitment to running costs for a category one academy is much higher than for category two, i.e. the extra cost is not limited to the capital spend, it is ongoing and the protection it offers as far as compensation for players who move is overstated.

That's not to say it's a bad thing, it's not. It should add value. But whether it's a good investment is way more complicated than £12m out being recouped by a player sale.
  • Options
    Are there any other League One clubs that are Category One ?
  • Options
    Maybe next season there will be one.
  • Options

The work going on at SL at the moment is the laying of new 4G and 3G pitches. The main works should be starting June 2016?

Good to know what's going on a Standard Liege, but what about Charlton..?
  • Options
    So update is some artificial pitches being put in, no start date on the main scheme.
  • Options
    Don't trust RD an inch - Somehow this has got to be good news for him and bad news for the club.

Still at least he can step up production of player farming - always exciting since once the club has invested time and effort into developing new talent we get a brief glimpse for a few games before they are flogged under value by our dynamic CEO.
  • Options
    Hmmmn.
    Forgive me for being cautious about this, but it was heralded as starting in October at one point. Maybe they meant the artificial pitches are a start, again hmmmmmm.
    A lot can happen between now and the summer, a lot can change, a lot can go wrong. I am not convinced (yet) that the SL development will actually happen. This story has had legs for so long that it is danger of becoming a fact without becoming a reality.
    We were told Luzon was for the long term, the new Alex Ferguson and all that (and Fraeye is 'interim' !) and he didn't last even a year, and we are told this grand and expensive development will happen but nothing yet.
    Hmmmn. Maybe we await a supply of bricks from Belgium.
    Personally I am waiting for Roland to ceremonially lay the first brick in a blaze of publicity, Katrien of course as his hod carrier.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Hmmmn.
    Forgive me for being cautious about this, but it was heralded as starting in October at one point. Maybe they meant the artificial pitches are a start, again hmmmmmm.
    A lot can happen between now and the summer, a lot can change, a lot can go wrong. I am not convinced (yet) that the SL development will actually happen. This story has had legs for so long that it is danger of becoming a fact without becoming a reality.
    We were told Luzon was for the long term, the new Alex Ferguson and all that (and Fraeye is 'interim' !) and he didn't last even a year, and we are told this grand and expensive development will happen but nothing yet.
    Personally I am waiting for Roland to ceremonially lay the first brick in a blaze of publicity, Katrien of course as his hod carrier.

Just because no physical work has actually started it doesn't mean that nothing is being done. The job will probably be in the pre-construction stage where things get tweaked and items get proccured. This all takes time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The thing is, by doing this work we're basically catching up with other clubs who already have much better training ground facilities
  • Options

The thing is, by doing this work we're basically catching up with other clubs who already have much better training ground facilities

And there are still plenty of clubs that have far inferior training grounds than us.

We either do this now and catch up or stay where we are and lag further behind
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

seth plum said:

Hmmmn.

Just because no physical work has actually started it doesn't mean that nothing is being done. The job will probably be in the pre-construction stage where things get tweaked and items get proccured. This all takes time.
    I get this bit of course, but it is dragging on and on to the point where I can't help having doubts.

• Options
    seth plum said:

cafc999 said:

seth plum said:

Hmmmn.

I get this bit of course, but it is dragging on and on to the point where I can't help having doubts.

I have just started a job where the pre construction period is 1 year, and I think this will now be longer after the meeting I had yesterday with the client..!!

Every job is different.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

And there are still plenty of clubs that have far inferior training grounds than us.

Most of those at a "similar" level to us also have plans for improved facilities, especially the ones with major academies
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

seth plum said:

cafc999 said:

seth plum said:

Hmmmn.

I have just started a job where the pre construction period is 1 year, and I think this will now be longer after the meeting I had yesterday with the client..!!

Every job is different.

That's what I keep telling the wife.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

People just seem to want this to fail so that they can have a go at the club.

If it does get built then people will complain that the money could have been better spent on the first team.

Do we want this improved academy? Do we want it to succeed?

Again the club is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't.

Disagree. Most, including many of the regime's critics see this as a good thing and want it to happen. Read the comments.

There are some who are questioning why £6m of outside funding was let go, a legitimate question given our losses, and Seth is worried that it's not on schedule but most if not all see it as a good thing.

• Options

cafc999 said:

Most of those at a "similar" level to us also have plans for improved facilities, especially the ones with major academies
    regardless it is better than the "shit" facilities (quote from JBG at Eltham Addicks last season) we have now.

Even if it is only keeping up with the competition it is still needed and it is happening, not just planned. It will help us get Cat 1 academy status and provide better facilities for the first team and Trust.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

iaitch said:

If it does get built then people will complain that the money could have been better spent on the first team.

Disagree. Most, including many of the regime's critics see this as a good thing and want it to happen. Read the comments.

There are some who are questioning why £6m of outside funding was let go, a legitimate question given our losses, and Seth is worried that it's not on schedule but most if not all see it as a good thing.

I have repeatedly and consistently said, agreed, it is a 'good thing', but it needs to happen physically in my view, because I struggle to trust this regime and the building work would go a long way to convince me.
    My other concern, especially not being that knowledgeable about finances of this kind of stuff, is that we're not going to be landed with unmanageable debt.

• Options
    seth plum said:

cafc999 said:

seth plum said:

Hmmmn.

I heard there is a provisional start date of March 2016 for the main work.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited November 2015
    iaitch said:

Really disagree with this comment. I really dislike it when posters attribute a very negative viewpoint (that they have not stated) onto other peoples comments who are expressing a bit of sceptism or asking critical questions.

I always want the club to succeed and want to see this project completed.
  • Options

iaitch said:

Bringing the academy up to category 1 status will hopefully enable us to attract a better quality of Trialist.

It can only be a good thing.

• Options
    "the Charlton Athletic Community Trust (CACT), the charitable arm of Charlton Athletic"

• Options
    edited February 2016
    So, physically distancing the club from CACT whilst still trying to bask in it's reflected glory?

(at least we know why external funding was let go if SL is not going to have as much (any?) community use)
  • Options

"the Charlton Athletic Community Trust (CACT), the charitable arm of Charlton Athletic"

Indeed ....
  • Options
    More 3% debt?
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

More 3% debt?

Most likely not because reading between the lines this will be all or part funded by grants. I don't know that for sure but that is my guess. As this is all about the community etc it will attract grant money to cover some or all of it.

My understanding was the the original plans for Sparrows lane were for a £6m re-build but with all of that coming from the Football Foundation and other grants.

But that would have meant having CAFC and CACT alongside each other in the same buildings and the same facilities and Roland didn't like that so now CACT will have a separate hub. But I stand to be corrected if I've got that wrong.