Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bulot

Comments

• Options
    If you went through our team and looked at the players I could see as an integral part of a champ promotion winning side, Wilson along with JJ, Tucadean and at the moment Wiggins wouldn't be included.

That said I think Wilson is a decent player at this level.
  • Options
    Hate to say it about Wilson (Especially as he was my Player of the Year last season) but I do just wonder... Was he simply the best player in a struggling team last season and because we've already improved on last year (and are at the other end of the table) are his performances the best he can do yet we all think that he should be doing better because of last season
  • Options

Or put another way... name the worst 3 players for overall ability (Skill, Strength, Speed, Touch, Brain, Passing, Positioning, etc) from the starting 11 from Tuesday.

Would Wilson be in your list? If not, who would?!

Or, put it another way, who, on Tuesday, was match fit and good enough to take his place in the side?

Because you can only actually pick from those in the squad that are available.

If and when the squad evolves and we do eventually sign Bale, Ronaldo or Di Maria his days will, clearly be numbered but as there aren't too many signs of this happening we have to make the most of what we've got. And whether you like it or not on Tuesday he was very much that.

As for "homegrown" how does that come into it? We kicked him out and he had to work twice as hard to get back to this level so the "growth" didn't come with us. It came from him working hard at his game and learning what it take to be a "pro" footballer.

Compare that to Franny Jeffers mentioned above who had it all too early but, in reality, wasn't mentally strong enough for even the likes of Accrington or Bury.
  • Options

Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

He was better than Wilson that said my nan would have been better than Wilson on Tuesdsy night.

Wilson really wasn't that bad and in every other appearance he has made this season he has been very good so it's possibly a bit early to be getting the noose ready.

As for Ferris Bueller Frédéric Bulot, he looked very lively although he is clearly left-footed and seeking to come inside and get on his left foot every time so I would prefer to see him on the left.

He really was that bad.

Flat footed.
    Slow.
    Weak.
    Poor defensive positioning.
    Slow to back-track.
    Football brain 5 mins slower than those around him.

Wilson is just an ordinary player that gets so much slack on here because he is 'one of our own', Retweets the wallies that brown-nose on twitter, has a 'funny' song and was one of CP's favorites.
    And plays out of his skin, gives 100% every game and can play RB or RM
  • Options
    'Homegrown' comes in to it because Charlton fans get all defensive, and wont let a bad word be said.

Whether anyone else was available or not, is not the point I am making. The point I am making is that he is not as good as many on here think (convince themselves / wish to be true?), and don't think that he is a Championship player.

OK, to make it slightly easier for you... name 3 worse overall football SENIOR players in the squad;

1) Church?
    2) ?
    3) ?

• Options

thenewbie said:

Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

He was better than Wilson that said my nan would have been better than Wilson on Tuesdsy night.

Wilson really wasn't that bad and in every other appearance he has made this season he has been very good so it's possibly a bit early to be getting the noose ready.

As for Ferris Bueller Frédéric Bulot, he looked very lively although he is clearly left-footed and seeking to come inside and get on his left foot every time so I would prefer to see him on the left.

He really was that bad.

Flat footed.
    Slow.
    Weak.
    Slow to back-track.

Wilson is just an ordinary player that gets so much slack on here because he is 'one of our own', Retweets the wallies that brown-nose on twitter, has a 'funny' song and was one of CP's favorites.
    Henderson - slow to release the ball on several occasions when he should have been setting up a counter attack. Kicking at times distinctly average. As is Pope - possibly following instructions

Gomez - hesitancy in box almost presented an open goal but for the saving tackle of TBH. Young, inexperienced, isolated by Wilson throughout the match

TBH & Bikey- both gave ball away in dangerous areas that could easily have resulted in a goal. Poorest game from both this season - both ooze quality and composure

Wiggins - got skinned several times by Henry. Could well be another of the 'weak links' I alluded to

Jackson - as slow as a London bus and missed a golden opportunity to win the game for us. As Above - Jackson debate will be long running

Cousins - again gave the ball away too easily at times and is a fish out of water on the left. As demonstrated by his total lack of control when we were on the attack late on. Often played out of position

Buyens - a number of misplaced passes that led to the breakdown of attacks. Too many times looked to go backwards rather than forwards. Part of a 2 man midfield playing Vs 3

Tucudean - at times demonstrated the first touch of an elephant and badly missed target to put us two up. And totally miss-kicked ball with left boot with another opportunity. Gets in to the right positions. Enables team to keep it's shape and not sit too defensively

Vetokele - faded badly in last quarter of game. The geezer probably ran 15 miles in the first 3 quarters

As you can see Wilson was the only one who made mistakes on Tuesday and was totally to blame for us not winning.

Where did I suggest he was to blame for us not getting all 3 points? It was an average performance overall against, in my opinion, the best team to play at the Valley this season.

All I am saying is that he is not up to the standard of the majority of the rest of the team. His weaknesses are now very apparent compared to his teammates.
    Can't possibly agree with that. He's got speed, tricks and never stops - and makes some decent runs too. He was caught out of position a few times but that was because the right back is still raw and inexperienced, and the two were not quite on the same wavelength. Gudmundsson is probably better, Bulot may yet prove to be (the jury is out) but to say Wilson is noticeably worse than the majority of the team is truly laughable. He's got flaws but they aren't any more noticeable or detrimental than those of other players.
    That to me is the blinkered view of a Charlton Fan supporting a 'homegrown' player. As per post above, can you name 3 worse overall footballers in the starting 11 from Tuesday?
    Jackson, Tucudean, Gomez, Wiggins, Cousins and Moussa all played worse than Wilson did on Tuesday for me. In fact the entire team with the exception of Henderson was poor. I am not saying Wilson was very good, or even better than just alright on Tuesday, but one bad game does not make a bad player.

Clearly you are not going to change your mind on the 'bad overall player' stance but I am no more blinkered by his 'home grown' status than you appear to be by his admittedly poor first appearances with us.
  • Options
    Is this the Wison thread now ?
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

thenewbie said:

Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

He really was that bad.

Flat footed.
    Slow.
    Weak.
    Slow to back-track.

Henderson - slow to release the ball on several occasions when he should have been setting up a counter attack. Kicking at times distinctly average. As is Pope - possibly following instructions

Gomez - hesitancy in box almost presented an open goal but for the saving tackle of TBH. Young, inexperienced, isolated by Wilson throughout the match

TBH & Bikey- both gave ball away in dangerous areas that could easily have resulted in a goal. Poorest game from both this season - both ooze quality and composure

Wiggins - got skinned several times by Henry. Could well be another of the 'weak links' I alluded to

Jackson - as slow as a London bus and missed a golden opportunity to win the game for us. As Above - Jackson debate will be long running

Cousins - again gave the ball away too easily at times and is a fish out of water on the left. As demonstrated by his total lack of control when we were on the attack late on. Often played out of position

Buyens - a number of misplaced passes that led to the breakdown of attacks. Too many times looked to go backwards rather than forwards. Part of a 2 man midfield playing Vs 3

Tucudean - at times demonstrated the first touch of an elephant and badly missed target to put us two up. And totally miss-kicked ball with left boot with another opportunity. Gets in to the right positions. Enables team to keep it's shape and not sit too defensively

Vetokele - faded badly in last quarter of game. The geezer probably ran 15 miles in the first 3 quarters

As you can see Wilson was the only one who made mistakes on Tuesday and was totally to blame for us not winning.

Where did I suggest he was to blame for us not getting all 3 points? It was an average performance overall against, in my opinion, the best team to play at the Valley this season.

All I am saying is that he is not up to the standard of the majority of the rest of the team. His weaknesses are now very apparent compared to his teammates.
    Can't possibly agree with that. He's got speed, tricks and never stops - and makes some decent runs too. He was caught out of position a few times but that was because the right back is still raw and inexperienced, and the two were not quite on the same wavelength. Gudmundsson is probably better, Bulot may yet prove to be (the jury is out) but to say Wilson is noticeably worse than the majority of the team is truly laughable. He's got flaws but they aren't any more noticeable or detrimental than those of other players.
    That to me is the blinkered view of a Charlton Fan supporting a 'homegrown' player. As per post above, can you name 3 worse overall footballers in the starting 11 from Tuesday?
    Jackson, Tucudean, Gomez, Wiggins, Cousins and Moussa all played worse than Wilson did on Tuesday for me. In fact the entire team with the exception of Henderson was poor. I am not saying Wilson was very good, or even better than just alright on Tuesday, but one bad game does not make a bad player.

Clearly you are not going to change your mind on the 'bad overall player' stance but I am no more blinkered by his 'home grown' status than you appear to be by his admittedly poor first appearances with us.
    I am not sure all of the above played worse than him Tuesday, although I am not talking about Tuesday alone I am talking generally
  • Options

Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

He really was that bad.

Flat footed.
    Slow.
    Weak.
    Slow to back-track.

And plays out of his skin, gives 100% every game and can play RB or RM
    I would give 110% every game and play in absolutely any position. I am still a shit footballer though
  • Options
    Don't get the Wilson bashing tbh, he's our back up right mid, never gonna set the world alight but we could have (and have had) a helluva lot worse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Is this the Wison thread now ?

Wise one?
  • Options

Hate to say it about Wilson (Especially as he was my Player of the Year last season) but I do just wonder... Was he simply the best player in a struggling team last season and because we've already improved on last year (and are at the other end of the table) are his performances the best he can do yet we all think that he should be doing better because of last season</bloc

yes, players like Wilson and Yann looked alot better than what they are last season because we had a poor team.

Veokele, Buyens, Gudmunsson, TBH, Bikey are a better level of player.

• Options

If you went through our team and looked at the players I could see as an integral part of a champ promotion winning side, Wilson along with JJ, Tucadean and at the moment Wiggins wouldn't be included.

That said I think Wilson is a decent player at this level.

Last season a lot of fans complained about players being on short term contracts. But out of c. 20 to leave only Hamer and Poyet fulfill the criteria you mention.
    What M.Duchatelet, Meire and Peeters have delivered in the last few months is transformational as evidenced by the league table. Part of building this squad for the next two years was to sign Jackson, Morrison and Wiggins (and try to sign Dervite)
    Now the controversial bit:
    The board have actually done the easy part! Improving on today's squad requires time, patience, good coaching and/or £5m in transfer fees.
    As Katrien Meire stated in her recent interview with @Weegie Addick‌ every one in the Championship wants to get promoted but CAFC are not a toy to have M.Duchatelet throw money at it.
    We have Bulot to assimilate and hopefully Gudmundsson back soon plus Vetokele ok. Add in Buyens and that is four of the front six. So Peeters needs to find the other two and the right system.
    Let's see how it pans out in the next two games as to who plays, how well the team does and of course results. If they can get things to work then it makes sense to buy more players in January to boost our chances. But let's face it Norwich and Forest are flying so the top two has to be out of reach.
    So sure we want the best first XI but we need a decent affordable squad such that if we don't go up by say 2016, the sale of one star player settles all the losses.
    Basically we need every player to improve and for the scouts and board to do that most challenging of tasks: finding the final pieces of the jigsaw.
  • Options

thenewbie said:

thenewbie said:

Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

He really was that bad.

Flat footed.
    Slow.
    Weak.
    Slow to back-track.

I am not sure all of the above played worse than him Tuesday, although I am not talking about Tuesday alone I am talking generally
    Wiggins has a whole thread dedicated to whether he's good enough any more. Tucudean has a thread about whether he's good enough at all. Whether Jackson is still up to task is debated regularly. Church is still pretty much a punchline not a player amongst many fans. When Henderson was injured every-one expected Pope to step in and claim the place - he wasn't good enough to do so. There's five players whose merit is just as debatable as Wilson.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

thenewbie said:

thenewbie said:

Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

He really was that bad.

Flat footed.
    Slow.
    Weak.
    Slow to back-track.

Wiggins has a whole thread dedicated to whether he's good enough any more. Tucudean has a thread about whether he's good enough at all. Whether Jackson is still up to task is debated regularly. Church is still pretty much a punchline not a player amongst many fans. When Henderson was injured every-one expected Pope to step in and claim the place - he wasn't good enough to do so. There's five players whose merit is just as debatable as Wilson.
    So can you name your personal 3?
  • Options
    Church, Harriott, George
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Lawrie Wilson was poor on Tuesday:

Go on Players marks before wolves and see his scores.

he was voted 2nd in our poty for a reason, he had become mr reliable.

when everyone is fit, he won,t start because Solly is still a better right back and Johann
    can give more by switching play in the midfield.

one poor game and he's back on the naughty step.

if IJC you have to do 8 postings with another 8 no doubt on the way with no humour or irony.

Go and watch Millwall because they love to slag off there own players. The difference is at least they wait
    until they have had half a dozen bad games.

when i'm supporting my team at Rotherham don.t stand anywhere near me.
    in fact go down the home end.

• Options
    Greenie said:

Little wrong with Wilson Tuesday. He tired and was taken off. As for Bulot, apart from one wayward long shot he didn't put a foot wrong and made himself available for the next pass every time. Really looking forward to seeing him again.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Church, Harriott, George

Thank you, a real answer.

Lawrie Wilson was poor on Tuesday:

Go on Players marks before wolves and see his scores.

he was voted 2nd in our poty for a reason, he had become mr reliable.

when everyone is fit, he won,t start because Solly is still a better right back and Johann
    can give more by switching play in the midfield.

one poor game and he's back on the naughty step.

if IJC you have to do 8 postings with another 8 no doubt on the way with no humour or irony.

Go and watch Millwall because they love to slag off there own players. The difference is at least they wait
    until they have had half a dozen bad games.

when i'm supporting my team at Rotherham don.t stand anywhere near me.
    in fact go down the away end.

In a poor team. Now the team has improved, he is one of our weakest players - that is not slagging him off (don't get me started on his barnet).

Also, I will gladly stand in the away end Vs Rotherham if that will make you happy.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2014

Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

He really was that bad.

Flat footed.
    Slow.
    Weak.
    Slow to back-track.

Wilson so poor and Wolves best team we have played? I'd give it up mate. Go watch a different team or maybe a different sport altogether. Seen a lot of clueless stuff on here and Dont claim to be an expert myself but I know I was entertained on Tuesday and Wilson is a talented player who I tend to find easier to support than criticise.
  • Options
    we agree on one thing IJC, the Barnet.

The one thing about having a soapbox struck to your feet is that you have to let rip( no curry jokes)
    every now and then.

My main point is let's support who ever wears our shirt and every one has a bad game, even Chris Solly,
    thou don't ask me to name it . ok one exception !
  • Options

Rizzo said:

Pretty much the entire team were giving the ball away on Tuesday so singling out Wilson for criticism is somewhat harsh.

Wilson is neither slow nor weak. Ever thought that maybe he just came up against someone who was stronger or quicker then him?

Slow to backtrack I disagree with, as I do with your contention of poor defensive positioning. He was frequently behind Gomez on Tuesday and gave much better defensive cover than JBG does.

He had a bad game. So did 8 other people in the team on Tuesday.

Passes go wayward, fair enough. But Wilson was particularly poor on Tues. His feet seemed constantly planted. As the pace of the game increases, the worse he gets.

He may well have come up against someone quicker and stronger than him, but when he comes up against such player 9 out of 10 games, suggests to me that he is slow and weak.

Wilson was consistently last man back behind the ball, leaving his fullback exposed. He looked lost on a number of Wolves / Watford attacks, and was having to be told by both Solly and Gomez where to be.

He had a bad game, just as Cousins did against Brighton. Cousins has being played out of position as an excuse, Wilson has no such excuse.

He is, arguably, the weakest link in the side.
    praise the lord, every time I have tried to say something similar i've been shot down, I knew it wasn't just me. I will be very surprised if Bob gives LW a new contract. He's not a championship standard player let alone any higher
  • Options
    lovely bloke yes but not good enough IMO
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    mrbligh said:

Rizzo said:

Pretty much the entire team were giving the ball away on Tuesday so singling out Wilson for criticism is somewhat harsh.

Wilson is neither slow nor weak. Ever thought that maybe he just came up against someone who was stronger or quicker then him?

Slow to backtrack I disagree with, as I do with your contention of poor defensive positioning. He was frequently behind Gomez on Tuesday and gave much better defensive cover than JBG does.

Passes go wayward, fair enough. But Wilson was particularly poor on Tues. His feet seemed constantly planted. As the pace of the game increases, the worse he gets.

He may well have come up against someone quicker and stronger than him, but when he comes up against such player 9 out of 10 games, suggests to me that he is slow and weak.

Wilson was consistently last man back behind the ball, leaving his fullback exposed. He looked lost on a number of Wolves / Watford attacks, and was having to be told by both Solly and Gomez where to be.

He had a bad game, just as Cousins did against Brighton. Cousins has being played out of position as an excuse, Wilson has no such excuse.

praise the lord, every time I have tried to say something similar i've been shot down, I knew it wasn't just me. I will be very surprised if Bob gives LW a new contract. He's not a championship standard player let alone any higher
    Dont forget @mrbligh, please feel free to slate Tucudean because he is a foreign import, part of RD's Network, and doesn't retweet fan's photos. BUT DO NOT, as much as think or god forbid suggest, that Lawrie Wilson isn't a superstar.
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

praise the lord, every time I have tried to say something similar i've been shot down, I knew it wasn't just me.

No, there's one other person. You should form a club.

• Options
    Are we changing Lawrie's song now after one poorish game which we drew?

He used to be alright, but now he's a bit shite, walking in a Wilson wonderland...
  • Options
    Bulot looked very good. Lovely control & touch. He drifted everywhere, which is great if he was permitted and poor if he was meant to stay on the right.

As for Wilson. It would appear that some people have the memory span of a week and can't remember past Tuesday. Weird.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I think we should simply stay positive and enjoy the football and staying in the top half. Moaning about one players poor performance or even the whole team changes nothing!
    As an example people mention Pope...he's learning the game...are we going to borrow/buy a second choice keeper in case Henderson gets injured again? I think not!
    One thing CAFC should learn from the Pardew era is that bringing in new players all the time doesn't guarantee success but does guarantee financial melt down.
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

Rizzo said:

What's a Championship standard player? He's proven in the last two seasons he's a useful player at this level. Maybe not for a team challenging for the play-offs or even top half, but that doesn't make him a League 1 player.