Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bulot

Comments

• Rob said:

With a pedigree like this I don't think he's going to be too shabby

2005–2006 France U16 12 (0)
    2006–2007 France U17 12 (2)
    2007–2008 France U18 5 (0)
    2008–2009 France U19 17 (1)
    2010–2012 France U21 9 (0)
    2014– Gabon 1 (0)

Yassin Moutaouakil played for the French U21s too ;-)
    Moutaouakil reminds me of someone else who played for us - a player who didn't just play for the U21s but also the full England team. He actually scored in that game and is the joint highest scorer for the U21s (with Alan Shearer) with 13 goals in 16 appearances.

At one point he cost Arsenal £8m and was rumoured to have joined us for £2.6m.

It is Franny Jeffers, of course.

In a 16 year Club career anyone like to hazard a guess at how many total goals he scored (answer at bottom)?

The grand total of 40. And 18 of those came in his first spell with Everton so that means that he netted just 22 times in the other 12 years (and spells at 12 Clubs) of his career.

And his three goals for us only cost us in transfer fees and wages over a million pounds a time.

Jeffers has to consider himself extremely lucky that he was never charged with taking money under false pretenses.
  • edited September 2014
    Have had the benefit of seeing Freddie for about half an hour so no way can I make a judgement on him as a player.

I can note that Yoni has bigged him up in an interview which is not an unreasonable reference. Also from his short cameo I observed that he looked a 'bright' player on and off the ball looking for action. But of course that could all change on a wet and windy Tuesday evening away fixture up north.

Let's see how he progresses but we just could have a player in the young man.
  • Redrobo said:

sam3110 said:

He could be the player that changes BPs thinking from 442 to 433, a midfield 3 of

Buyens Jackson Cousins

With a front 3 of

Gudmundsson Vetokele Bulot

Looks very good indeed on paper.

Let's hope if it ever comes to fruition that it works just as well on grass

Same team, but 4 5 1.
    Agreed, but split as a (fashionable) 4-2-3-1:

Henderson

Solly/Bikey/TBH/Wiggins

Cousins/Buyens

Bulot/Jacko/Gudmondson

Vetokele

Gives defensive cover to Wiggy/Solly to allow them to support the front 4 which, on paper, looks like it is more than good enough for top half and could potentially keep us in the play-off places.

But then again, don't count your chickens/Bulots before they hatch/have played more than 15 minutes.
  • Greenie said:

He was better than Wilson that said my nan would have been better than Wilson on Tuesdsy night.

Wilson really wasn't that bad and in every other appearance he has made this season he has been very good so it's possibly a bit early to be getting the noose ready.

As for Ferris Bueller Frédéric Bulot, he looked very lively although he is clearly left-footed and seeking to come inside and get on his left foot every time so I would prefer to see him on the left.

• edited September 2014
    Greenie said:

He looked very lively although he is clearly left-footed and seeking to come inside and get on his left foot every time so I would prefer to see him on the left.

Reckon we will see Bulot play mainly on the Left this season... After all Gudmundsson is Left-Footed put prefers playing on the Right so have to have bought in another player who likes to do that doesnt make sense, makes us extremely heavy on the right and extremely weak on the left of Midfield
  • colin1961 said:

We looked a lot better when he came on ... Holds the ball good movement and great touch and passing skill looks a very good player like we been told ......
    With him one side Gudmunsson the other it's looking very good

And zero protection for the fullbacks you claim elsewhere are the root of all our ills...
  • Bulot is French for whelk. Cue shellfish jokes/songs?
  • edited September 2014
    There is a chance he could be Reza MK2, but it is very early days.
    He wasn't concerned with helping Joe Gomez out it seemed to me.
  • Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

He was better than Wilson that said my nan would have been better than Wilson on Tuesdsy night.

Wilson really wasn't that bad and in every other appearance he has made this season he has been very good so it's possibly a bit early to be getting the noose ready.

As for Ferris Bueller Frédéric Bulot, he looked very lively although he is clearly left-footed and seeking to come inside and get on his left foot every time so I would prefer to see him on the left.

He really was that bad.

Flat footed.
    Slow.
    Weak.
    Poor defensive positioning.
    Slow to back-track.
    Football brain 5 mins slower than those around him.

Wilson is just an ordinary player that gets so much slack on here because he is 'one of our own', Retweets the wallies that brown-nose on twitter, has a 'funny' song and was one of CP's favorites.
  • Sponsored links:

• Another Lee Martin.
  • When he was on the pitch, from the West Upper, it was hard to tell which player was Bulot and which one was Cousins.
  • When he was on the pitch, from the West Upper, it was hard to tell which player was Bulot and which one was Cousins.

Am I the only one who has the same problem with Callum and Moussa? Similar height, build and style. Tricky at a distance.
  • Greenie said:

He looked very lively although he is clearly left-footed and seeking to come inside and get on his left foot every time so I would prefer to see him on the left.

Reckon we will see Bulot play mainly on the Left this season... After all Gudmundsson is Left-Footed put prefers playing on the Right so have to have bought in another player who likes to do that doesnt make sense, makes us extremely heavy on the right and extremely weak on the left of Midfield
    Long-term I think we could see Gudmundsson in the middle with Buyens and / or Cousins as the creative player we're crying out for.
  • He seemed to be decent, if Buyens is right about him it means we can play a 451/433

Which is what I think we need to stop getting beat in midfield. Can only go by what i've seen on youtube and his cameo but he is quick, can pass well and seems to have a lot of energy. So basically better than any LM we have. If he can skin people like Harriott can on ocassion then all the better.

• I thought he looked alight but he might need to be more disciplined about positioning if he's not going to drive me absolutely mad: He'd only been on the pitch five minutes when my son was chewing my ear off about him.
  • Rizzo said:

Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

He really was that bad.

Flat footed.
    Slow.
    Weak.
    Slow to back-track.

Wilson is just an ordinary player that gets so much slack on here because he is 'one of our own', Retweets the wallies that brown-nose on twitter, has a 'funny' song and was one of CP's favorites.
    Oh how we love to exaggerate here on CL.

Which part do you believe to be inaccurate?

There were numerous times on Tuesday that we gave the ball away due to Wilson being planted in position - i.e flat footed & Slower football brain.

Slow / Week; Did you see his attempt in the N/E corner to take on the full back?

Slow to back track; Did you see how long he took to get back from above eg?

Poor defensive positioning; Left Solly exposed on Sat, leaving oppo players to double up, same with Gomez Tues.

Wilson is currently one of maybe 2 / 3 weak links in the side

• Y
    Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

That's why I added the Tuesday night bit so no one could say 'scapegoat' 'noose' etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rizzo said:

Pretty much the entire team were giving the ball away on Tuesday so singling out Wilson for criticism is somewhat harsh.

Wilson is neither slow nor weak. Ever thought that maybe he just came up against someone who was stronger or quicker then him?

Slow to backtrack I disagree with, as I do with your contention of poor defensive positioning. He was frequently behind Gomez on Tuesday and gave much better defensive cover than JBG does.

He had a bad game. So did 8 other people in the team on Tuesday.

Passes go wayward, fair enough. But Wilson was particularly poor on Tues. His feet seemed constantly planted. As the pace of the game increases, the worse he gets.

He may well have come up against someone quicker and stronger than him, but when he comes up against such player 9 out of 10 games, suggests to me that he is slow and weak.

Wilson was consistently last man back behind the ball, leaving his fullback exposed. He looked lost on a number of Wolves / Watford attacks, and was having to be told by both Solly and Gomez where to be.

He had a bad game, just as Cousins did against Brighton. Cousins has being played out of position as an excuse, Wilson has no such excuse.

He is, arguably, the weakest link in the side.
  • Rob said:

With a pedigree like this I don't think he's going to be too shabby

2005–2006 France U16 12 (0)
    2006–2007 France U17 12 (2)
    2007–2008 France U18 5 (0)
    2008–2009 France U19 17 (1)
    2010–2012 France U21 9 (0)
    2014– Gabon 1 (0)

Yassin Moutaouakil played for the French U21s too ;-)
    I think it was in his mind rather than skill that he never fulfilled his potential. I read an article soon after he joined us when a French newspaper tried to forcast the French national team 8 years later, they had Moutaoukil down, not only as right back but captain. It seems he fooled a lot of people with his lack of success.
  • edited September 2014

Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

He really was that bad.

Flat footed.
    Slow.
    Weak.
    Slow to back-track.

Henderson - slow to release the ball on several occasions when he should have been setting up a counter attack. Kicking at times distinctly average. As is Pope - possibly following instructions

Gomez - hesitancy in box almost presented an open goal but for the saving tackle of TBH. Young, inexperienced, isolated by Wilson throughout the match

TBH & Bikey- both gave ball away in dangerous areas that could easily have resulted in a goal. Poorest game from both this season - both ooze quality and composure

Wiggins - got skinned several times by Henry. Could well be another of the 'weak links' I alluded to

Jackson - as slow as a London bus and missed a golden opportunity to win the game for us. As Above - Jackson debate will be long running

Cousins - again gave the ball away too easily at times and is a fish out of water on the left. As demonstrated by his total lack of control when we were on the attack late on. Often played out of position

Buyens - a number of misplaced passes that led to the breakdown of attacks. Too many times looked to go backwards rather than forwards. Part of a 2 man midfield playing Vs 3

Tucudean - at times demonstrated the first touch of an elephant and badly missed target to put us two up. And totally miss-kicked ball with left boot with another opportunity. Gets in to the right positions. Enables team to keep it's shape and not sit too defensively

Vetokele - faded badly in last quarter of game. The geezer probably ran 15 miles in the first 3 quarters

As you can see Wilson was the only one who made mistakes on Tuesday and was totally to blame for us not winning.

Where did I suggest he was to blame for us not getting all 3 points? It was an average performance overall against, in my opinion, the best team to play at the Valley this season.

All I am saying is that he is not up to the standard of the majority of the rest of the team. His weaknesses are now very apparent compared to his teammates.
  • Or put another way... name the worst 3 players for overall ability (Skill, Strength, Speed, Touch, Brain, Passing, Positioning, etc) from the starting 11 from Tuesday.

Would Wilson be in your list? If not, who would?!
  • Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

He really was that bad.

Flat footed.
    Slow.
    Weak.
    Slow to back-track.

Henderson - slow to release the ball on several occasions when he should have been setting up a counter attack. Kicking at times distinctly average.
    Doesnt help that the opposition have wisely clocked on to this... Keep a Striker close to the Goalkeeper (or two attackers close to Ben-Haim and Bikey) which means the Goalkeeper is forced to hesitate and look for other options, everytime Henderson had it against Wolves you'd see Henry instantly closing down Bikey, Sako on Ben-Haim and Clarke would stick with the Goalkeeper...

Of course Henderson could still pass the ball out to one of these team-mates yet they'd be closed down so quickly the ball would end up back at Henderson's feet and being a pass back the attacker can then put more pressure on the Goalkeeper to kick long / widely as they wouldnt be able to pick it up.

Surely people can obviously see this instead of shouting "Get rid of it" or "Too slow AGAIN"
  • Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

He really was that bad.

Flat footed.
    Slow.
    Weak.
    Slow to back-track.

Henderson - slow to release the ball on several occasions when he should have been setting up a counter attack. Kicking at times distinctly average.
    Doesnt help that the opposition have wisely clocked on to this... Keep a Striker close to the Goalkeeper (or two attackers close to Ben-Haim and Bikey) which means the Goalkeeper is forced to hesitate and look for other options, everytime Henderson had it against Wolves you'd see Henry instantly closing down Bikey, Sako on Ben-Haim and Clarke would stick with the Goalkeeper...

Of course Henderson could still pass the ball out to one of these team-mates yet they'd be closed down so quickly the ball would end up back at Henderson's feet and being a pass back the attacker can then put more pressure on the Goalkeeper to kick long / widely as they wouldnt be able to pick it up.

Surely people can obviously see this instead of shouting "Get rid of it" or "Too slow AGAIN"
    Indeed they can. But twice Peeters early on was screaming at him to release it and start a counter attack which he simply wasn't prepared to do.
  • edited September 2014

Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

He really was that bad.

Flat footed.
    Slow.
    Weak.
    Slow to back-track.

Indeed they can. But twice Peeters early on was screaming at him to release it and start a counter attack which he simply wasn't prepared to do.
    Again though... Watch the opposition following a corner... Before getting back into defence they'll converge in front of the Goalkeeper stopping it.

Im sure if Henderson could he would throw out and start a counter attack immediately but he aint gonna commit footballing suicide.

Trouble is as well Henderson.. Hamer.. Pope.. they've ALL done this so its clearly not a Goalkeeping issue more just tactical sense (As I've never us doing it i.e. every time Wolves had a Goal-Kick Ikeme had all the time in the world to pass between his two centre-backs yet they were never closed down)
  • thenewbie said:

Rizzo said:

Greenie said:

He really was that bad.

Flat footed.
    Slow.
    Weak.
    Slow to back-track.

Henderson - slow to release the ball on several occasions when he should have been setting up a counter attack. Kicking at times distinctly average. As is Pope - possibly following instructions

Gomez - hesitancy in box almost presented an open goal but for the saving tackle of TBH. Young, inexperienced, isolated by Wilson throughout the match

TBH & Bikey- both gave ball away in dangerous areas that could easily have resulted in a goal. Poorest game from both this season - both ooze quality and composure

Wiggins - got skinned several times by Henry. Could well be another of the 'weak links' I alluded to

Jackson - as slow as a London bus and missed a golden opportunity to win the game for us. As Above - Jackson debate will be long running

Cousins - again gave the ball away too easily at times and is a fish out of water on the left. As demonstrated by his total lack of control when we were on the attack late on. Often played out of position

Buyens - a number of misplaced passes that led to the breakdown of attacks. Too many times looked to go backwards rather than forwards. Part of a 2 man midfield playing Vs 3

Tucudean - at times demonstrated the first touch of an elephant and badly missed target to put us two up. And totally miss-kicked ball with left boot with another opportunity. Gets in to the right positions. Enables team to keep it's shape and not sit too defensively

Vetokele - faded badly in last quarter of game. The geezer probably ran 15 miles in the first 3 quarters

As you can see Wilson was the only one who made mistakes on Tuesday and was totally to blame for us not winning.

Where did I suggest he was to blame for us not getting all 3 points? It was an average performance overall against, in my opinion, the best team to play at the Valley this season.

All I am saying is that he is not up to the standard of the majority of the rest of the team. His weaknesses are now very apparent compared to his teammates.
    Can't possibly agree with that. He's got speed, tricks and never stops - and makes some decent runs too. He was caught out of position a few times but that was because the right back is still raw and inexperienced, and the two were not quite on the same wavelength. Gudmundsson is probably better, Bulot may yet prove to be (the jury is out) but to say Wilson is noticeably worse than the majority of the team is truly laughable. He's got flaws but they aren't any more noticeable or detrimental than those of other players.
    That to me is the blinkered view of a Charlton Fan supporting a 'homegrown' player. As per post above, can you name 3 worse overall footballers in the starting 11 from Tuesday?