Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Walking Football.

124»

Comments

• Charlton Community trust are hoping to start up a session at Sparrows Lane Thursday evenings. If this comes off I'll post on here. 
  • The state my knees are in I should consider this. Problem is even when I play 5 a side now with every intention of holding back and not charging about,  instinct kicks in and I end up with knees the size of grapefruits afterwards for a couple of days. 

• Carter said:
    The state my knees are in I should consider this. Problem is even when I play 5 a side now with every intention of holding back and not charging about,  instinct kicks in and I end up with knees the size of grapefruits afterwards for a couple of days. 

Try Sorbothane double strike insoles. I use them and they do help. My daughter suffered from shinsplints from pre-season training on rock hard ground, she put the insoles in her boots and said they are a Godsend, and has not had any issues since.
  • Sorry to bump this thread, but does anyone know of any walking football sessions in Charlton / Woolwich / Greenwich / Eltham which are open to younger people? Everything I’ve seen online is for 50+. While I’m only 30, I’ve got arthritis in my knee, so walking football would be ideal.
    Kings Hill WF do Sat at 11am and Monday eve at 6.30 pm.
  • For anyone interested CACT have just added a walking football session on Thursday evenings 7pm to 8 on the new astro turf pitches there. Have to park at Footscray Rugby Club and walk through. This is in addition to our Tuesday morning session at Eltham goals 10am. 
  • I started doing it a year or so ago and love it. It is like being a teenager again.
    How difficult is it to stop yourself running?
    Bloody difficult, whilst it is fun it is also competitive so you try and get away with what you can get away with. A lot of players think it should be less strict and there has been talk of having different levels of movement. The no heading and no over head height are good rules though.
    Of course you can walk fast, but it is an interesting restriction. I need to start playing this again, it has started at our local sports centre. I started going to another one but they couldn't generate the interest to keep it going. The staff used to have to make up the numbers. My knees are shot and I can't run but I can still do 100 plus keepy uppies before they give up (tried it the other day).
  • redman said:
    For anyone interested CACT have just added a walking football session on Thursday evenings 7pm to 8 on the new astro turf pitches there. Have to park at Footscray Rugby Club and walk through. This is in addition to our Tuesday morning session at Eltham goals 10am. 
    Put “Rolands Road” in your sat nav for directions. ;)
  • Kap10 said:

Get yourself down to Eltham Goals tomorrow at 10.30 am, Introduce yourself. Its run by Matt of Charlton Community trust. Mixed ability. Redman plays there.  Age is not important but remember it is friendly and some players are over 70! Quite a few of the players are Addicks.
    Thanks for the info Kap! You’ve made me realise something that I hadn’t thought about - that a lot of walking football matches will take place during working hours which I can’t normally do. Maybe I’ll have to go further afield for something in the evenings or weekends. 
    They have just started a Thursday evening session at (I think Sparrows Lane) if you want the details I can give you Matt of CACT email address or @redman may know the details. I am aiming to do the Thursday evenings, but it's probably a few months before I will be fit enough. PM for Matt's details, however good or bad you are there is place for you!
  • The CACT walking football group continues to thrive. 4 teams played in a 6 a side Festival organised by Chelsea Foundation on Wednesday. An over 70's, 2 x over 60's and a multi age team. The latter was a mixture of those who played in the other 3 teams. So 20 players from CACT sessions took part which other than Chelsea made us the biggest group.
    The hardest part for some was not running as they were strict and our sessions do allow some running!

CACT run sessions on Tuesday morning at Eltham goals at 10.30 am and Thursday evening at Sparrows Lane at 7pm (enter via Footscray rugby club). Everyone over 50 welcome. The Tuesday sessions usually get 30-36 people. 
  • Oh I thought this was our new tactics thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Everyone over 50 welcome, but what about someone in their early 30's recovering from a knee surgery? 😅
  • My bestie in Cardiff has just joined a team at the local sports centre she works for.
    She loves it.
    Plays with an elderly gent with two stick’s who is practically bent double. His name is Ron so obviously he’s called Ronaldo.
    Fabulous!
  • Our walking football group will be having a short match on the pitch at half time today as part of men's health day. 
    Be 5 a side. 
  • Looked some players with a real decent touch out there today at half time but I’m throwing a stewards enquiry in to the walking part,  there was some old goats out there deffo having a run even if it was in slow motion .

I think they were entitled to move about a bit after the soaking they got. :D
  • Looked some players with a real decent touch out there today at half time but I’m throwing a stewards enquiry in to the walking part,  there was some old goats out there deffo having a run even if it was in slow motion .
    Was a very entertaining half time watch. One of the blokes in the white kit was a proper fox in the box 
  • I don’t get it, every time I looked there were a few fellas running?
    Perhaps, it’s like long distance walking where you get carded for not having one foot in contact with the ground.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was playing a few games last year and there is a lot of running going on, all of it behind the referees back. Our centre forward plays for the England Parkinsons side, 20 years ago he was our best player on a Sunday and now is annoyingly still one of the best players we have. He doesn't run but he never did 20 years ago 

I'm happy with the pace of walking football and am happy to self-enforce and support refs by stopping runners by all the predictable means. Its well funny watching people do like a race-walking mince to chase loose balls and not being able to run is a great leveller, no 18 year old show offs doing stepovers inviting me to kick them and we can get away with playing a high line without witnessing a scene like Maguire v Mbappe in a 1v1 footrace 
    Very difficult to play without running at all, even at 70. The emphasis in our groups is on having fun and enjoying ourselves. To a large extent it's just old man's football! Some run, some don't. 
    Because of the way we play when we entered a proper walking football tournament at Chelsea, we found it very difficult to stick to the strict rules. 
    I would encourage anybody over 60 to come along and give it a try. 
  • Good luck to you Redman, certainly wasn’t a criticism just watching at half time it seemed strange to understand as some were walking and then all of a sudden a bloke sprinted and scored a goal, and everyone was happy with it! 
  • Good luck to you Redman, certainly wasn’t a criticism just watching at half time it seemed strange to understand as some were walking and then all of a sudden a bloke sprinted and scored a goal, and everyone was happy with it! 
    Don't worry I didn't take it as criticism. Past 70 and after 2 major operations I'm glad to playing any sort of football now. If some-one sprints past me now it's just the way it is. Smile and get on with it.