Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Walking Football.

Comments

• Had to do a double take on the thread title.

I know what you mean, Ricky. I fell foul to this when I was a teen and ended up doing a 3 hour walk with the girl guides.

• I thought it was Vaz Te V Bristol City away.
  • If Charlton have a problem with replacing Gudmunson, we have a selection of wide men

• Think Phil neal is in the same team
  • edited October 2018
    Our walking football group which is run by the Charlton Trust continues to to thrive even if we don't have top class players. On a Tuesday morning we usually get around 25 players for a round robin tournament of 4 teams. All welcome.
  • redman said:

Our walking football group which is run by the Charlton Trust continues to to thrive even if we don't have top class players. On a Tuesday morning we usually get around 25 players for a round robin tournament of 4 teams. All welcome.

Whereabouts and what time?
  • Eltham goals which is where old Civil Service ground was. By roundabout where A20 and South circular cross. 10.30 to 11.30 ish. Play on astro turf.
    Hope you can make it
  • Anyone know of anything in West London, Paddington area?
  • redman said:

Whereabouts and what time?
    I would thoroughly recommed .. my one regret that i have a job is that i cannot get to these sessions.

Full mix of levels from those who have never played to quality .. such as Redman!
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone know of anything in West London, Paddington area?
    Plenty of brass up there Mart mate
  • Yes, I tried it a couple of years ago and it is good fun and good exercise. One has just started near me - I really should find the time to attend it. 
  • I started doing it a year or so ago and love it. It is like being a teenager again.
  • I started doing it a year or so ago and love it. It is like being a teenager again.
    How difficult is it to stop yourself running?
  • redman said:
    in answer to @AKFABartram comment on the other thread, you are supposed to just walk in walking football. Sometimes there can be a fairly soft interpretation of this when we play amongst ourselves. 
    The most important thing is we play football, have fun and enjoy ourselves. 
    If when I retired from active football when I was 50, somebody had told me I would have been playing football at 66 at the Valley in front on a few thousand I would have thought they had completely lost it. 
    We all enjoyed it, hope it gave you some entertainment and maybe a bit of inspiration for the future. 
    Our walking football group which is run by the Charlton Trust continues to to thrive even if we don't have top class players. On a Tuesday morning at Eltham goals , 10.30 am to 11.30 we usually get around 25 players for a round robin tournament of 4 teams. All welcome. It is also hoped to get a second session going one evening. 

The Football is played for fun with a bit of competitiveness.  You meet some nice guys and @redman, lots of banter.  I used to play and then got a job, so after 9 months I played one off last Tuesday.  Get over there whatever level of football you have played.
  • I will try and come along on Tuesday, it`s about time I blew away the cobwebs!
    Based on the players on Saturday it mist be extremley.

They played for about 5 minutes if that and I said to kelly at least 15 times someone was not walking
    Based on the players on Saturday it mist be extremley.

They played for about 5 minutes if that and I said to kelly at least 15 times someone was not walking
    Is that when she punched you in the gob and said ffs shut up about they're not walking.
  • muppetman said:
    I will try and come along on Tuesday, it`s about time I blew away the cobwebs!
    If you do make it, make sure you come and introduce yourself. I'm the one who plays in the protest shirt. 
  • Sponsored links:

• redman said:
    muppetman said:
    I will try and come along on Tuesday, it`s about time I blew away the cobwebs!
    If you do make it, make sure you come and introduce yourself. I'm the one who plays in the protest shirt. 
    Will do.
  • I play walking cricket and walking football in bexhill....I couldn't recommend it more 
    Bloody difficult, whilst it is fun it is also competitive so you try and get away with what you can get away with. A lot of players think it should be less strict and there has been talk of having different levels of movement. The no heading and no over head height are good rules though.
  • Cheers @redman and good luck to you mate still turning out. Just wondered on the rules as it looked a bit funny seeing people walking for the ball and then when someone else got close they started running!
  • Cheers @redman and good luck to you mate still turning out. Just wondered on the rules as it looked a bit funny seeing people walking for the ball and then when someone else got close they started running!
    You can't help yourself in a training session, so not doing it on a  match day at The Valley would be impossible.
  • Sorry to bump this thread, but does anyone know of any walking football sessions in Charlton / Woolwich / Greenwich / Eltham which are open to younger people? Everything I’ve seen online is for 50+. While I’m only 30, I’ve got arthritis in my knee, so walking football would be ideal.
  • I thought this was a thread on Lyle Taylor's penalty taking. 
  • I thought it was about Jimmy Floyd H.
  • edited August 2019
    Sorry to bump this thread, but does anyone know of any walking football sessions in Charlton / Woolwich / Greenwich / Eltham which are open to younger people? Everything I’ve seen online is for 50+. While I’m only 30, I’ve got arthritis in my knee, so walking football would be ideal.
    Get yourself down to Eltham Goals tomorrow at 10.30 am, Introduce yourself. Its run by Matt of Charlton Community trust. Mixed ability. Redman plays there.  Age is not important but remember it is friendly and some players are over 70! Quite a few of the players are Addicks.
  • Kap10 said:

Get yourself down to Eltham Goals tomorrow at 10.30 am, Introduce yourself. Its run by Matt of Charlton Community trust. Mixed ability. Redman plays there.  Age is not important but remember it is friendly and some players are over 70! Quite a few of the players are Addicks.
    Thanks for the info Kap! You’ve made me realise something that I hadn’t thought about - that a lot of walking football matches will take place during working hours which I can’t normally do. Maybe I’ll have to go further afield for something in the evenings or weekends.