Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bad grammar in public view.

Comments

• Options
    25/25, that be good

:wink:
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

cafcfan said:

Rizzo said:

If there was a sign showing you which way the cash machines were, should it read ATMS or ATM'S?

Neither. ATMs.
    Technically I'm not sure it's any of the above. Machines is the word that the M is representing so by adding an s on the end of the acronym (actually an initialism as the initials don't spell a word) you are pluralising a plural. So it should just be ATM.
    But don't you need the "s" to differentiate between a single and multiple number of the aforementioned machines? Otherwise the reader is left with incomplete information.
    The s is helpful but I'm not sure it's correct. I do however stand to be corrected on the matter.
    ATM is an acronym for Automated Teller Machine - singular. I believe the (s) should be added if describing more than one.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Rizzo said:

cafcfan said:

Rizzo said:

If there was a sign showing you which way the cash machines were, should it read ATMS or ATM'S?

Neither. ATMs.
    Technically I'm not sure it's any of the above. Machines is the word that the M is representing so by adding an s on the end of the acronym (actually an initialism as the initials don't spell a word) you are pluralising a plural. So it should just be ATM.
    But don't you need the "s" to differentiate between a single and multiple number of the aforementioned machines? Otherwise the reader is left with incomplete information.
    The s is helpful but I'm not sure it's correct. I do however stand to be corrected on the matter.
    ATM is an acronym for Automated Teller Machine - singular. I believe the (s) should be added if describing more than one.
    ATM is also an acronym for Automated Teller Machines though.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Misused apostrophes are one of my biggest pet peeves. I don't get why almost everyone puts one before the s for a decade (i.e. 70's). Surely the apostrophe should be before the 70 to indicate that there are numbers missing (in this case 19)?

Perhaps someone could correct me?
  • Options

Misused apostrophes are one of my biggest pet peeves. I don't get why almost everyone puts one before the s for a decade (i.e. 70's). Surely the apostrophe should be before the 70 to indicate that there are numbers missing (in this case 19)?

Correct imo.

I think I'll 'phone someone about it.

I wish also that one of my regular thread reads wasn't entitled "Under 23's". Under 23's what? Surely @i_b_b_o_r_g should have sorted that by now?
  • Options

'70 just replaces 19 but doesn't convey the meaning of a ten year period.

We would write formally "during the period from 1970 to 1980", we would say "during the seventies". So writing "during the 70s" is shorthand reflecting the spoken word and i think the apostrophe, if used, is an irrelevance and an attempt to follow grammar rules that haven't been written and don't need to be written.

• Options

'70 just replaces 19 but doesn't convey the meaning of a ten year period.

We would write formally "during the period from 1970 to 1980", we would say "during the seventies". So writing "during the 70s" is shorthand reflecting the spoken word and i think the apostrophe, if used, is an irrelevance and an attempt to follow grammar rules that haven't been written and don't need to be written.

That makes sense
  • Options
    Not quite on topic but I liked it when the Michael Gove as Education Secrerary said that he wanted to raise the standards of all children so that they were all above average.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SO, going back to the cash machines at Liverpool street, is my father in law right to keep picking off the apostrophe or should he also take the s away?
  • Options
    25/25 phew.
  • Options
    I think the best one I ever saw simply read: "Frying tonight - Fishes and Chip's."
  • Options

SO, going back to the cash machines at Liverpool street, is my father in law right to keep picking off the apostrophe or should he also take the s away?

There is universal agreement that there is no place for the apostrophe - but some disagreement in regards to the s. For me it stays and some agree - for others it goes. Take's your pick.
  • Options
    Possibly a lower case s. Definitely no apostrophe needed.
  • Options

Possibly a lower case s. Definitely no apostrophe needed.

Lower case s but if there's an apostrophe it would to be something about the ATM or short for ATM is. For example, the ATM's reliability is poor or the ATM's not working.
  • Options
    That quiz: long is NOT an adverb because the word walk that follows it is a gerund, i.e. a verb used as a noun. It is therefore an adjective. Stupid twats.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

That quiz: long is NOT an adverb because the word walk that follows it is a gerund, i.e. a verb used as a noun. It is therefore an adjective. Stupid twats.

So you're the only one who didn't get 25/25? ;-)
  • Options
    Grammar and alcohol don't mix
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

IdleHans said:

So you're the only one who didn't get 25/25? ;-)
    Oi! I'll have you know I must be an English student like the rest of you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2017

I remember in Private Eye a debate about what to call the section of the letters page devoted to minor corrections. Should it be

Pedant's corner, (singular possessive)
    Pedants corner, or (adjective)
    Pedants' corner? (plural possessive)

In the end they went with Pedantry corner!

A pedant asks:
    Pedantry corner, or Pedantry Corner ?
    Why is there a space before the question mark?
  • Options
    And a comma after corner?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

And a comma after corner?

Well, funnily enough, I think it's optional.
  • Options

This I understand not, all so complicated, it is. Yeesssssss.
  • Options
    There's fast food place in Penge with the sign 'Fish and chips, Fried Chicken, Burger's'.

• Options
  • Options
    Ego's instead of Egos in the 2Percent video.

Just because you crack out tunes doesn't mean you can get away with such flagrant disregard for SPaG.

I will accept 2 free tickets to the protest buffet as compensation ;)