Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have We Got A Better Team Than The Team That Finished 9th?

Comments

• Options
    8 games in, and we're still unbeaten, I think we'll have had a cracking season if we finish in the top 10.
  • Options
    I think we are just over halfway through team rebuilding. One maybe two in January and some more in the summer. This season is all about laying foundations.

I don't think we will finish anywhere near playoffs but I can see that there is a lot of potential with several decent additions.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    This squad was largely assembled in the first part of the summer window, as the League One champions were, unlike the 9th place team (Fuller only arrived after the season started). That is good. Vetokele looks like an outstanding purchase, and Buyens could have gone to a UCL/Europe league playing club quite easily.

However the 2012 season was marked by a lot of bunching in mid table. 9th was 9th but I think we over-performed with that squad, and it could as easily have been 14th or so if we had not hit stride late on. Wiggins return had a lot to do with that, I think.

My main worry is that the first 15 or so players are quality - especially if Chris Solly, bless him, can play most games - but the squad is weak. I would be happy with 9th if this is largely the squad we will have to stick with.
  • Options
    To answer the question....not yet, but we have the core of a promotion challenging team. agree with @shooters hill guru. If the owner decides the riches of the premier league are worth shooting for, say next season, then we have a good platform in place to push on. I reckon we are a tenth place team at the moment.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Very early days, but it's certainly looking better:

Screen Shot 2014-08-31 at 23.25.29

Bump! I wonder if peoples opinions have changed having ridden a rough October when injuries took their toll?
    This graph will look interesting end of November...looks like we were stuck on a point a game both seasons up to match 15

• Options

Stig said:

Bump! I wonder if peoples opinions have changed having ridden a rough October when injuries took their toll?
    This graph will look interesting end of November...looks like we were stuck on a point a game both seasons up to match 15

@Stig‌ can we have an updated graph please? It'd be interesting to compare our season to date with the one 2 years ago.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Screenshot 2014-11-16 17.37.34
  • Options

Yes next question

Stop trying to get others to start threads as much as you do.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Screenshot 2014-11-16 17.37.34

Thanks @stig
    So to have a better team (in what some might say is a better league this time?) we need to avoid flat lining through winter. I think our quality pitch will help. Once again, our next few games will determine which line we are on - towards 65 or 75 points.
    Let's see how long it takes to get to 40 points - secure the right players in the window and it may well be a lot quicker that two seasons ago.
  • Options
    I think we have a more capable team but the 2012 13 team looked more refined but less potent. However if we can get to Christmas with just 2 more defeats then we should be very happy and hopeful of playoffs as we had 9 by Christmas in that season. Our defence and vetokele have been great, cousins decent and everyone else a bit up and down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think after Watford, we need to reopen this discussion. I know tensions in the dressing room have been high and everything Charlton as of late has been kinda Meh. But aside from the problems in the dressing room and our anger about everything else; on the field, is this team still better than the team that finished 9th?
  • Options
    Always gave 100%, what about the Sheffield United Quarter Final?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

We didn't finish 9th that season
  • Options
    My view is that apart from Hamer, Kermorgant and Stephens we have better players now. The problems are a) that those three were absolutely key and would make a great difference to our current side and b) the current lot appear to be thoroughly disillusioned/never had any feeling of belonging in the first place.
  • Options
    If I was combining the teams I would have Vet, JBG, Cousins and TBH from this years team as starters.

Solly, Wiggins remain the same as does JJ but I would prefer the younger JJ.

Otherwise I would have Hamer, Morrison, Yann and Stephens.

So broadly the same number from each.

The big difference however is squad togetherness and manager.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Stig said:

My opinion hasn't changed. No way is this team better than the team that finished 9th. Let's not forget the team that finished 9th were playing on a bog of a pitch week in week out. A fa cup run which meant games were pushed back to Saturday Tuesday Saturday. Imagine our lot now playing that many games.

Lots of shit going on behind the scenes re contracts running down. Give me that team back with a few of our current team any day of the week.

I'd take Hamer back with henderson keeping him on his toes.
    I'd take morro back.
    I'd have dale 'want to move up north' Stephens and diego over yoni 'don't clap the fans' buyens.
    And Yann up top with the old igor or watt.

Edit. Apologies the team that finished 9th wasn't playing in the fa cup but was still playing on a dire pitch with contracts running down but the team didn't change much from the one that finished 9th.
  • Options
    We're dead even on when we finished 9th I believe, I'm giving GL until Brentford to decide if he is good enough (if he ever gets his Work Permit, that is)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

iaitch said:

We didn't finish 9th that season
    What's that got to do with it? The poster said Powell's teams always gave 100%, in this instance they did not.
  • Options

My view is that apart from Hamer, Kermorgant and Stephens we have better players now. The problems are a) that those three were absolutely key and would make a great difference to our current side and b) the current lot appear to be thoroughly disillusioned/never had any feeling of belonging in the first place.

I prefer Henderson to Hamer, although BH was certainly better than any of the other keepers that have played this season. Never rated Stephens; moved the ball too slowly and tended to hide in games
  • Options
    Individually, maybe. As a team, no.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Henderson (not injured) > Hamer
    Solly then > Solly now
    Wiggins then > Wiggins now
    Ben Haim > Taylor/Dervite
    Morrison > Bikey
    Gudmundsson > Wagstaff
    Stephens > (Unmotivated) Buyens
    Jackson then > Jackson now
    Cousins > Kerkar/Pritchard
    Igor > BWP
    Yann > Tucudean (Watt hasn't played enough yet)

So that makes 6-5 to the old lot.

Add in the depth like Fuller, Haynes, Cort, Hollands, Hughes and Button and that makes it more clear.
  • Options
    Notice people bring up the Sheffield United game as a way to beat the stick at our former side/manager as some weirdly like to do.

On that day the team didn't perform - no doubts about that. But they still cared and it still hurt them to know they had blown it. That can't be denied IMO.

Thats a big, big difference from the team on Saturday who not only didn't perform, but seemingly just didn't care.
  • Options
    I think we have but I also think the Championship has gone up a level,we need to up our game or be dragged down to the level the teams below are at
  • Options
    Scrolling back through this thread laughing at many posts! Including my own.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I think we had a stronger squad then, especially when you look at those we have now (more plentiful yes but not better)... it's embarrassing and impressive at the same time.

1 Ben Hamer
    1 Stephen Henderson

23 Lawrie Wilson
    2 Lawrie Wilson

3 Cedric Evina
    3 Joe Gomez

4 Johnnie Jackson
    4 Johnnie Jackson

5 Michael Morrison
    5 Michael Morrison

6 Matt Taylor
    5 Miloš Veljković

15 Yado Mambo
    6 André Bikey

7 Danny Green
    7 Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson

12 Salim Kerkar
    8 Frédéric Bulot

14 Bradley Pritchard
    10 Franck Moussa

32 Callum Harriott
    11 Callum Harriott

17 Jordan Cook
    12 Francis Coquelin

13 John Sullivan
    13 Dillon Phillips

10 Bradley Wright-Phillips
    14 Igor Vetokele

44 Dorian Dervite
    15 Oguchi Onyewu

16 Rhoys Wiggins
    16 Rhoys Wiggins

21 Mark Gower
    17 Yoni Buyens

9 Danny Haynes
    18 Simon Church

38 Adebayo Azeez
    19 Zak Ansah

20 Chris Solly
    20 Chris Solly

22 Danny Hollands
    21 Morgan Fox

2 Andrew Hughes
    22 Loïc Nego

28 Leon Cort
    23 Joe Pigott

8 Dale Stephens
    24 Jordan Cousins

11 Scott Wagstaff
    25 Kadell Daniel

18 Yann Kermorgant
    32 Tony Watt

19 Ricardo Fuller
    27 Jack Munns

26 Jonathan Obika
    28 Harry Osborne

34 Michael Smith
    29 George Țucudean

27 David Button
    30 Nick Pope

No Number Florent Rouamba
    31 Harry Lennon

Tried to match them as best I could but these are all extras that we have this year.

26 Tal Ben Haim
    33 Oliver Muldoon
    36 Marko Dmitrović
    38 Terell Thomas
    41 Dimitar Mitov
    43 Karlan Ahearne-Grant
    44 Neil Etheridge
  • Options
    Reckon the only real match there is between Bradley Pritchard and Franck Moussa... Both have always done well at League One level but both have struggled since going up a level

(Although in Moussa's defence, his injury problems havent helped)
  • Options
    If we still had Kermorgant, Hamer. Morrison, Dervite and Poyet I do not think we would be in a relegation tussle. Stephens I can do without. Also the younger JJ's form is a factor. Not the same player two years on, though even then he was not the quickest. Also I give you Wilson two years ago vs Wilson now; you can say the same for Wiggins and Solly based on games played and form .All made a better team contribution two seasons ago. And I accept that Poyet was not on the pitch when we finished 9th before anyone points that out.

But the question posed was whether we have got a better team, not whether player for player we think we have more talent. As of today (Jan 22nd) I think the answer is clearly "no" and that we would mostly be more than happy to settle for 10th to 14th place if it was offered tonight. We need an urgent turnaround to start looking like any sort of "team" and I'd back the Powell team to take points off the current lot in a hypothetical match. (Mind you I'm not great at picking winners)

Some of the earlier optimism in this thread is interesting to read with the benefit of hindsight.