Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    wonder if Sterling was involved ?
    Or Pickford 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    He does have bad luck with injuries as it's not like he is injury prone (out regularly with another tweak/niggle). They have generally been clatterings or an acl.

Why are the media and camp being so cryptic here?
    Probably not being deliberately cryptic. He obviously had a bad injury, and they can probably speculate, but until tests/scans etc are done the full extent won't be known. So for now they just report it as a serious injury.

Pretty strong rumours all over twitter (and from the Athletic) that he's done his knee though.
  • Options
    Gutted for the lad, hope he’s okay.
  • Options
    Man, he has some bad luck with injuries. Hope it's not as bad as feared.
  • Options
    The schedule is quite ridiculous this season and we are seeing a spike in injuries. 
  • Options
    Bad news for Liverpool as well, but potentially also bad news for Joe's career there as now was the time for him to really cement his place there in VVD's absence. They will surely bring in someone else in January now
    Already talk that they'll make a move for Alaba in January.
  • Options
    Bad news for Liverpool as well, but potentially also bad news for Joe's career there as now was the time for him to really cement his place there in VVD's absence. They will surely bring in someone else in January now
    If they are serious about a title bid then they will likely be looking at 2 top central defenders. They arent winning anything with Matip and Williams in central defence.
  • Options
    Awful news for him, goodness me if the news is true, what a horrible injury that will probably keep him out until halfway through next season.

A really great lad is Gomez, he even came and watched us a couple of times at The Valley the season we got promoted I believe. We can only wish him the very best in his recovery.

On an international level, it’s a huge blow as if he was to have had a strong season, he’d be going into the Euro’s as our main defender.

On a club level, Liverpool are going to have to seriously invest in January for a new centre back at least, probably two. Who they go out and get is a big question, as they’ll need to be very good quality. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    Awful news for him, goodness me if the news is true, what a horrible injury that will probably keep him out until halfway through next season.

A really great lad is Gomez, he even came and watched us a couple of times at The Valley the season we got promoted I believe. We can only wish him the very best in his recovery.

On an international level, it’s a huge blow as if he was to have had a strong season, he’d be going into the Euro’s as our main defender.

On a club level, Liverpool are going to have to seriously invest in January for a new centre back at least, probably two. Who they go out and get is a big question, as they’ll need to be very good quality. 
    What have you heard it is?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Sage said:

What have you heard it is?
    Reports suggesting he’s ruptured his ACL, similar to Van Dijk, or when Forster-Caskey done it as another example.
  • Options
    Southgate press conference now on Sky sports news.
  • Options
    Didn't he rupture his ACL shortly after leaving us? 
  • Options
    Southgate:

"I can't tell you how serious it is because he's yet to have scans. What was upsetting was to see he was in a fair bit of pain. The fact was there was nobody around him when the injury happened. I didn't like that element of it."
  • Options
    That’s the worst and more severe ones if I am being completely honest, when no one is around you, it’s awful.

When there is no external force, as in a challenge that has pushed the joint well beyond 180 degrees, it likely results in more than just the ACL rupturing and could rip other structures badly too. He could’ve been twisting or turning, studs stuck in the ground and boom, it’s gone.

I really hope it’s not as bad as what it seems to be, because a bad ACL and you could be looking at anything between 12-18 months no question.

Speedy recovery Joe Gomez.
  • Options
    Could be ACL combined with a dislocation which usually means a meniscus tear or damage to the kneecap which complicates things further
  • Options
    As for Liverpool, need to bite the bullet and buy big, if I was them I'd be looking at players like Koulibaly, Upamecano and the like, not a panic buy or a 34/35 year old guy that only comes in for a year or so. 
  • Options
    Fingers really crossed for a partial tear but I cannot see that. Being a victim of the 'unhappy triad,' you generally know how bad a condition you are in.

Personally, I wouldn't say doing this injury on your own is the worst, as an additional direct force while the joint being pushed beyond 180 degrees would be the worst case scenario. 
  • Options
    Wouldn’t this be the second serious knee injury he has had already?

I really hope im wrong but I’m starting to think the cumulative effect of all these injuries will mean he will never reach the heights that his talent should be firing him towards.

Crazy thing to say for someone with Champions League and Prem medals but with Liverpool surely buying big in January for most likely two centre backs it will be tough to bounce back 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wouldn’t this be the second serious knee injury he has had already?

I really hope im wrong but I’m starting to think the cumulative effect of all these injuries will mean he will never reach the heights that his talent should be firing him towards.

Crazy thing to say for someone with Champions League and Prem medals but with Liverpool surely buying big in January for most likely two centre backs it will be tough to bounce back 
    Yeah he's already done his ACL... Unfortunately that too was with the England team only on that occasion it was in a match for the U21s against Kazakhstan
  • Options
    Same leg?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Fingers really crossed for a partial tear but I cannot see that. Being a victim of the 'unhappy triad,' you generally know how bad a condition you are in.

Personally, I wouldn't say doing this injury on your own is the worst, as an additional direct force while the joint being pushed beyond 180 degrees would be the worst case scenario. 
    The additional direct force would more likely cause a fracture as well, that can heal a lot quicker, you’ve also got the anticipation of the force so the body naturally will aim to adjust, sometimes causing less severe impact. The injuries when they’re completely on its own is such a shock there’s no room or time for anticipation and can cause devastating injuries.

I do completely understand what you’re saying and where you’re coming from in terms of an additional force though. Ultimately, all injuries are different. Let’s hope Gomez’s isn’t as bad as feared.
  • Options
    Good summary again :) 

I'm going by personal experience and several meetings with a private surgeon who could demonstrate and explain impacts to the joint excellently.

Fingers crossed Joe somehow gets out of this as 'severe bruising'. It would be a rare positive story I would welcome hearing this week.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    If they are serious about a title bid then they will likely be looking at 2 top central defenders. They arent winning anything with Matip and Williams in central defence.
    True but unlikely they'll go for two top centre backs because it'll mean that when Gomez and Van Dijk return they'll have four top centre backs with 2 of them hardly playing.

I guess they'll sign one and then make do with a mix of Matip/Fabinho/a youngster covering the other spot. The issue for them of course is that they have 11 games before they can sign someone.
  • Options
    After being assessed the news is that Joe's season isn't necessarily over which is, at least, more encouraging than originally thought
  • Options
    I am hearing an injury to his patella tendon, rather than acl but all quite sketchy at present, as expected.
  • Options
    From BBC Sport

The 23-year-old's club said he had undergone "successful" surgery to repair a tendon in his left knee.

The Reds are already without fellow centre-back Virgil van Dijk because of a long-term knee ligament injury.

"The issue was isolated to Gomez's tendon, with no damage to any other associated knee ligaments," Liverpool said.

"No timescale is being placed upon his return, though the issue is likely to rule him out for a significant part of the remainder of 2020-21."

Gomez has played in all but one of Liverpool's Premier League and Champions League games this season.

The injury is not the same as the cruciate ligament injury he suffered in 2015.

• Options
    Still likely to miss most of the season though apparently.