Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Virgin media

Comments

• Very quick. Much faster remote. Less than half the size of a TiVo box.
  • edited February 2018
    Currently got a formal complaint in with Virgin Media, with the request of a deadlock letter if I don't get a £100+ refund.

Essentially I took out a package in August, £33 p/month for 12 months.. except they've been charging £48. So as of this week they owe me £105.

I spoke to a chap on the telephone yesterday who argued that I was paying the correct amount, as the £33 p/month was for new customers - I pointed out I was a new customer. He then went off and came back (suspiciously quickly) and said he'd checked my account details, and it should be £48 p/month - I pointed out that I had the contract in front me and as a new customer I was on the £33 p/month tariff - apparently that didn't match up with my customer record. (I was looking at it on their online portal myself FFS!)

Essentially we were getting nowhere, so I said I wouldn't accept anything less than a refund for the total amount of unauthorised charges - at £15 a month. He told me he'd ring me back, so my last words were that I'd follow it up with a request for a deadlock letter before seeking ADR, as per Ofcom guidance. Once again, assured that he'd ring me back shortly..

Did he fuck. Dirty robbing gits; not just for the admin f*ck up that led to the 50% overcharging, but for flat out trying to convince me that they were correct, and then lying about the amounts on the contract. If I was elderly, or otherwise unable to use their crappy online billing system, then I would probably have trusted the chap who told me that the billing amount was correct.
  • clive said:

I've had a V6 box for the last couple of months,it is better than the previous Tivo box,you can record more channels & it is a lot quicker.

I looked into getting the free upgrade to a V6 box. I filled in all the details & just before I clicked confirm I noticed it was only free for the first year, after that it was almost 20 quid a month dearer.
  • Got a couple of v6 boxes plus another two normal TiVo boxes.

Mother in law lives with us and has one in her own lounge and she has the kids after school till we get home so she can carry on watching her recorded stuff on the other box in the main lounge if she wants.
    Never had any issues with it and never get recording clash due to number of channels you can record at once.
  • THEY....ARE....SHIT
  • Have only got Virgin fibre as we’ve got Sky Q but we needed the 200mb line.

We had similar issues in that we agreed a price (we signed up for a special deal at the Grand Designs shows at Excel) but when the first bill came through, they was charging us an extra £12.

Numerous phone calls and emails later, they only relented when we found a copy of the paperwork that we signed up with, confirming the price. When I say relented, they reluctantly accepted after still arguing that we should be paying the £12 extra!

Took about 6 months to get the credit put on our account!
  • Was with Virgin once, couldn’t wait to leave, the only thing that they are good for is the broadband apart from that awful, awful company
  • Use Virgin for TV, Broadband and Phone. Excellent for all and any problems I have are always resolved quickly.

Broadband is very fast.
  • I’m on Virgin 200 thingybob. Broadband only. I’ve been with them for about 3 years in Bromley and have very few issues.
  • stonemuse said:

Use Virgin for TV, Broadband and Phone. Excellent for all and any problems I have are always resolved quickly.

Broadband is very fast.

Ditto.
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:

Have only got Virgin fibre as we’ve got Sky Q but we needed the 200mb line.

We had similar issues in that we agreed a price (we signed up for a special deal at the Grand Designs shows at Excel) but when the first bill came through, they was charging us an extra £12.

Numerous phone calls and emails later, they only relented when we found a copy of the paperwork that we signed up with, confirming the price. When I say relented, they reluctantly accepted after still arguing that we should be paying the £12 extra!

Took about 6 months to get the credit put on our account!

Interesting to hear how similar that sounds, mate! The impression I got on the phone the other day was that getting some cash back was going to be like getting blood out of a stone.

We took our package out at one of their (now closed) retail stores; but fortunately I've kept a copy of the paperwork we were given, so I've attached scans to the letter.
  • clive said:

I've had a V6 box for the last couple of months,it is better than the previous Tivo box,you can record more channels & it is a lot quicker.

I looked into getting the free upgrade to a V6 box. I filled in all the details & just before I clicked confirm I noticed it was only free for the first year, after that it was almost 20 quid a month dearer.
    I can see nothing to say this is still the case/correct. In fact if you see below, it says there is no new contract.

"How does the upgrade work?

The upgrade is free to eligible customers. There's no new contract to sign up to and your monthly cost will stay exactly the same. There's no penalty if you'd rather just keep your old TV box to use with your service (though we're pretty confident you'll love our V6 box more). You'll only need to pay extra if you want an engineer to install your new box for you instead of doing it yourself."

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/customer/freeupgrade.html?buspart=uk_dm_cus_cab_v6fe_freeupgrade
  • vffvff
    edited February 2018
    As I didn’t get a Charlton season ticket & the only way to get fast broadband by optic fibre was by Virgin media. I got a sports package for European football & premiership football, Olympics, & ATP tennis for the Missus. Sports are good & film is good. Virgin TV is not up to much. Not watching as much Premiership as I thought as I would.

The sales team are damned annoying & communication was poor in the set up of the account post sign up. Virgin media can be annoying but all these companies are in one way or another. Speed on the Broadband is fine though not as fast as promised.

With the change of ownership at Charlton, Planning to pick up a Charlton season ticket again, so will likely reduce the package down. For internet, being that only current choice for fast Broadband is Virgin, probably have to stick with them. It depends what choices you have in your local area.
  • Riviera said:

THEY....ARE....SHIT

Unlike you to sit on the fence.
  • Anyone used their powerline system to get TV signal/B-BAND around the house?
  • Service was fine, decent broadband, they just took the piss with price increases, went from £55 to £77 in just over 2 years, that's nearly a 50% increase, screw that. Sky are no better, they both seem to think that once they have you as a customer that their service is so vital that they can price gouge you for ever more.
  • Service was fine, decent broadband, they just took the piss with price increases, went from £55 to £77 in just over 2 years, that's nearly a 50% increase, screw that. Sky are no better, they both seem to think that once they have you as a customer that their service is so vital that they can price gouge you for ever more.

It's ridiculous that the best way nowadays seems to be switching at the end of every contract, there's no concept of trying to instill brand loyalty.

Use the Virgin branded Netgear powerline to get TV and BB out to our games room/shed in the garden, works a treat. All installed when upgraded to 2 x V6 boxes last year at no extra cost (other than a contract extention of 12 months). Effectively had no choice as only way to get V6 box to work in the shed was to boost the internet signal from the house using the powerline from the router out through the mains.

I now work from the shed which I couldn't do before eventhough I had bought my own signal extenders to try to boost the signal. Effectively there is now no difference in BB performance from inside or ouside the house which is a major improvement.

Virgin have their issues as others have pointed out but they did a job on this one.
  • clive said:

I can see nothing to say this is still the case/correct. In fact if you see below, it says there is no new contract.

The upgrade is free to eligible customers. There's no new contract to sign up to and your monthly cost will stay exactly the same. There's no penalty if you'd rather just keep your old TV box to use with your service (though we're pretty confident you'll love our V6 box more). You'll only need to pay extra if you want an engineer to install your new box for you instead of doing it yourself."

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/customer/freeupgrade.html?buspart=uk_dm_cus_cab_v6fe_freeupgrade
    So, this is exactly as it says in T&Cs... free box and no contract change if you don't already have a V6.

My personal opinion is that V6 is a very good box and I'd encourage anyone with Virgin TV who is planning on sticking around to take them up on it... it's free and objectively better than the TiVo boxes. It's similar in terms of layout etc., but the performance of apps is way, way better (as well as general menus being more responsive).

They'll also upgrade you to a compatible broadband hub if you have an old one (also free).
  • clive said:

So, this is exactly as it says in T&Cs... free box and no contract change if you don't already have a V6.

My personal opinion is that V6 is a very good box and I'd encourage anyone with Virgin TV who is planning on sticking around to take them up on it... it's free and objectively better than the TiVo boxes. It's similar in terms of layout etc., but the performance of apps is way, way better (as well as general menus being more responsive).

They'll also upgrade you to a compatible broadband hub if you have an old one (also free).
    Yes. Just signed up. They've throw all the sky sports channels in as well for another £4 p.m.
  • Sponsored links:

• The V6 box is ok. You do have to turn it off & on every now to resynch the audio with the pictures. You have to go into to save everything permanently or it may be deleted ramdonly. That’s ok as it makes you manage the space as it does get full. You get used to it. Currently, all tv players for C5, C4 & ITV have disappeared. It must be possible to get them back. Enjoying the Olympics on Eurosport, a welcome distraction to take over tribulation. Better than BBC obsession with British medals.
  • edited February 2018
    Is there an issue with BT HD sports channels and the screen format they are broadcast in on Virgin ? I’ve been trying to watch the European champions league and last nights arsenal games this week via my virgin box and it’s coming through in just a slightly wider format than 4:3 aspect. I’ve tried getting the tv to switch to other options but that doesn’t seem to put it right. All other non-BT channels on virgin are all OK.
  • I switched to a V6 box last year and found it much better than the Tivo one. Only problem I have is every couple of days the sound goes like a dalek and I have to turn the TV on and off to get normal sound back.

I've had their technicians round twice now replacing all the leads, putting them in different hdmi sockets and even changing the V6 box, but it still occurs. Anyone else had this happen?
  • LuckyReds said:

Service was fine, decent broadband, they just took the piss with price increases, went from £55 to £77 in just over 2 years, that's nearly a 50% increase, screw that. Sky are no better, they both seem to think that once they have you as a customer that their service is so vital that they can price gouge you for ever more.

It's ridiculous that the best way nowadays seems to be switching at the end of every contract, there's no concept of trying to instill brand loyalty.
    Yes, it becomes tiresome. Have a set price that everybody pays and let the consumer easily work out what is the best deal for them based on all factors. Legislation is required.
  • I switched to a V6 box last year and found it much better than the Tivo one. Only problem I have is every couple of days the sound goes like a dalek and I have to turn the TV on and off to get normal sound back.

I've had their technicians round twice now replacing all the leads, putting them in different hdmi sockets and even changing the V6 box, but it still occurs. Anyone else had this happen?

I've had that happen and it was the sound settings on the TV, which seemed to randomly change by themselves - nothing to do with Virgin.

Yes. I use Solwise Piggy pass-throughs between router and TV. Not cheap but have been excellent and faultless and get good reviews. (Silly name though!) My ones are now quite old and are good for 500 mbps but I believe they have been discontinued and the current version is 1200 mbps!
  • LuckyReds said:

Currently got a formal complaint in with Virgin Media, with the request of a deadlock letter if I don't get a £100+ refund.

Essentially I took out a package in August, £33 p/month for 12 months.. except they've been charging £48. So as of this week they owe me £105.

I spoke to a chap on the telephone yesterday who argued that I was paying the correct amount, as the £33 p/month was for new customers - I pointed out I was a new customer. He then went off and came back (suspiciously quickly) and said he'd checked my account details, and it should be £48 p/month - I pointed out that I had the contract in front me and as a new customer I was on the £33 p/month tariff - apparently that didn't match up with my customer record. (I was looking at it on their online portal myself FFS!)

Essentially we were getting nowhere, so I said I wouldn't accept anything less than a refund for the total amount of unauthorised charges - at £15 a month. He told me he'd ring me back, so my last words were that I'd follow it up with a request for a deadlock letter before seeking ADR, as per Ofcom guidance. Once again, assured that he'd ring me back shortly..

Did he fuck. Dirty robbing gits; not just for the admin f*ck up that led to the 50% overcharging, but for flat out trying to convince me that they were correct, and then lying about the amounts on the contract. If I was elderly, or otherwise unable to use their crappy online billing system, then I would probably have trusted the chap who told me that the billing amount was correct.

Make a sars request under the data protection act always gets them sweating. If that fails go on google ans hit ceo email virgin media. His email will pop up email your complaint direct to him, some reason thus gets a faster response.
  • Just get SkyQ and you won't have any of these issues.
  • edited July 2018
    Virgin Media drops 10 channels including Dave & UK Gold because of a dispute over fees with owners UK TV but Virgin have added some extra channels including Freesport.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44915060
  • edited July 2018
    So Virgin are saying it is because they are not willing to pay inflated prices and UKTV says it was proposing a reduction in what it pays them. I am a Virgin Media customer but not for much longer. I think they are a company on the rocks that doesn't respect its customers. The only delay for me is selecting the best alternative!

Not a racist remark, but most of the Indian call centre operatives I have had to deal with make it up as they go along! Virgin has to be aware of this!