Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Virgin media

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the information guys.
    I certainly don’t any passwords related to my Virgin stuff.
  • Options
    Moved from Sky to Virgin in September, had an engineer who did the install and should have migrated the phone over, he checked it worked, which it did, but was working on the old sky number!. We noticed that we had free weekend calls, so did not bother noticing there was a dialling tone, but had a couple of mobile phone calls saying your line is out of action!

This fiasco took two weeks to sort out, which seeing that we gave Virgin a whole month to migrate the number over was poor service, and despite several phone calls to "Virgin' we could not come to a resolution on compensation,!

They needed up to 28 days to 'resolve the issue' frankly I would have accepted an apology, but received a number of emails, requiring us to accept the offer, although they would not actually specify the offer?

After 28 days it was still not resolved, but I managed to get £30 of the next bill. the next bill arrived no discount was on the bill!

So a couple of phone calls later I was thinking of going back to 'Sky' who had kindly doubled our bill from £70 to £140 after 25 years as a customer.
    We had in the meantime received about 8 phone calls from Sky claiming they would match our Virgin monthly bill/broadband/ tv/sky football package, to the £65 a month that 'Virgin' charge us. After discussions they could not do so!....... Yes we spoke to the termination department, several times. They were happy to see us go, which was a financial decision, we were happy with sky, and had very few issues, it was price.
    Several phone calls later and after we sent back our Sky hub etc, we still got emails and phone calls......

Anyway, 'Virgin' who had been sold to 'Liberty Global' hard still not applied the credit to our account, in November.

However we obtained a credit note/email promising us £65, but we decided to go to  'arbitration' which was 'Offcom' !

Opened up a case, spoke to 'Offcom' at this stage we were happy to buy a fire stick, or go back to Sky, went through the process of complaining, mainly because Virgin or there  holding company 'Liberty Global' would not release us from our contract, despite the fact that 'Offcom' have upheld our complaint.

In the meantime the service has been fine, although the so called 'high speed fibre' is no quicker than Sky, as it uses the same fibre from the telegraph poll across the street.

All we kept getting was an email saying that unless we accepted the offer, we could go to 'arbitration'.

I agreed with 'Ofcom' that we had to stay the 18 months of the contract, but felt that 'Virgin media' who now work from the same  address as 'Liberty Global' in Hammersmith Road.  Not sure that Richard Branson or Virgin, the company I thought I was  dealing with, are any better than Sky, part of a holding company 'Comcast'........ 

So the conclusion is I think they are all the same, if you argue long enough you will  get some reduction, and I will be leaving 'Virgin media' in 14 months....... buying a fire stick, or going back to Sky as a 'new customer', cap in hand no doubt.

Virgin seem to not give a toss about 'customer service' are not transparent with there business  model, and refuse to phone you back!

I guess I am just a 'mug punter' dealing with these companies.
    *I am still with sky mobile.

• Options
    Liberty Global bought Virgin Media over ten years ago.
  • Options
    Indeed they did cafcfan........ but the first I had heard of them is when Ofcom mentioned them in November last year. 
  • Options
    Moved from Sky to Virgin in September, had an engineer who did the install and should have migrated the phone over, he checked it worked, which it did, but was working on the old sky number!. We noticed that we had free weekend calls, so did not bother noticing there was a dialling tone, but had a couple of mobile phone calls saying your line is out of action!

This fiasco took two weeks to sort out, which seeing that we gave Virgin a whole month to migrate the number over was poor service, and despite several phone calls to "Virgin' we could not come to a resolution on compensation,!

They needed up to 28 days to 'resolve the issue' frankly I would have accepted an apology, but received a number of emails, requiring us to accept the offer, although they would not actually specify the offer?

After 28 days it was still not resolved, but I managed to get £30 of the next bill. the next bill arrived no discount was on the bill!

So a couple of phone calls later I was thinking of going back to 'Sky' who had kindly doubled our bill from £70 to £140 after 25 years as a customer.
    We had in the meantime received about 8 phone calls from Sky claiming they would match our Virgin monthly bill/broadband/ tv/sky football package, to the £65 a month that 'Virgin' charge us. After discussions they could not do so!....... Yes we spoke to the termination department, several times. They were happy to see us go, which was a financial decision, we were happy with sky, and had very few issues, it was price.
    Several phone calls later and after we sent back our Sky hub etc, we still got emails and phone calls......

Anyway, 'Virgin' who had been sold to 'Liberty Global' hard still not applied the credit to our account, in November.

However we obtained a credit note/email promising us £65, but we decided to go to  'arbitration' which was 'Offcom' !

Opened up a case, spoke to 'Offcom' at this stage we were happy to buy a fire stick, or go back to Sky, went through the process of complaining, mainly because Virgin or there  holding company 'Liberty Global' would not release us from our contract, despite the fact that 'Offcom' have upheld our complaint.

In the meantime the service has been fine, although the so called 'high speed fibre' is no quicker than Sky, as it uses the same fibre from the telegraph poll across the street.

All we kept getting was an email saying that unless we accepted the offer, we could go to 'arbitration'.

I agreed with 'Ofcom' that we had to stay the 18 months of the contract, but felt that 'Virgin media' who now work from the same  address as 'Liberty Global' in Hammersmith Road.  Not sure that Richard Branson or Virgin, the company I thought I was  dealing with, are any better than Sky, part of a holding company 'Comcast'........ 

So the conclusion is I think they are all the same, if you argue long enough you will  get some reduction, and I will be leaving 'Virgin media' in 14 months....... buying a fire stick, or going back to Sky as a 'new customer', cap in hand no doubt.

Virgin seem to not give a toss about 'customer service' are not transparent with there business  model, and refuse to phone you back!

I guess I am just a 'mug punter' dealing with these companies.
    *I am still with sky mobile.

They are pretty similar. Virgin is ok when nothing goes wrong but I think sky (based on friends and family) have better customer services. The Virgin indian call centre is very poor. Both will try to screw you if they can.
  • Options
    Tomorrow is my change over day from Virgin to Community Fibre.
    Dreading it.
    Mainly because what is ‘obvious’ to those in the technical world is incomprehensible to me.
    I spent yesterday evening wondering what happens about my set top box and it’s remote if everything now comes in on a thin wire from a telegraph pole.
  • Options
    edited January 7
    Don't worry. If you get stuck come on here but I'm sure the new company will set you up. If you look at how your internet is fed through your router it is via a thin wire. I, and I am sure others will be interested to see how they stack up. I got a decent deal with Virgin but the minute they don't give me one, I am moving. As I know Sky is not much better, maybe a new smaller provider is the future.
  • Options
    For the benefit of anyone who has missed me saying this previously 

Virgin and their full fibre (not fibre to the node out in the street and coaxial cable into your home) is an excellent product WHEN IT WORKS. The moment you get problems they are dreadful to deal with. 

Sky as a TV provider have shit content now but they do always have the best hardware and easiest to navigate interface

In terms of broadband, I cant emphasise enough, unless you are with Virgin or one of the millions of alternate network providers that have sprung up, your broadband will be over the Openreach network. My advice then is to go for the cheapest provider. 

If the option is there for full fibre, take it. However if I'm totally honest and you get anything over 30meg download you won't need the lightning speeds full fibre gives as most of the equipment in normal homes cant handle gigabit download speeds anyway. It will be everywhere in the not too distant future (full fibre) so again, go with the cheapest provider. 

Just bear in mind, community fibre, city fibre all of these I think based their business model and their pitches for investment by playing pretty fast and loose with their sums for projected returns and are beginning to have investment dry up and if I were them, be actively looking to sell/cut & run. The only realistic people they can sell to is Openreach, Virgin or maybe one of the bigger tier 2 boys like gigaclear or hyperoptic. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Oh bugger. I have been scammed.
    Just joshing. Seen them advertised and like you say only available in London.
    Don't know anyone with them.
    I have Community Fibre. Cheaper and faster than copper.