Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Virgin media

Comments

• Options
    Virgin didn't dare increase my bill.  :)

Hello,
    We're writing to tell you about some changes that'll affect your package price, our services, and the way our price rises will work from 2024 onwards. Please make sure you read this whole email carefully.

As you can probably imagine, with costs like energy bills rising fast, our running costs are increasing too. So to make sure we can keep giving you the quality of service you expect from us, the price of your package will go up.

However, this 2023 price increase won't affect you until your current price offer ends. The full price of your package will then increase by £21.50 a month, subject to the new pricing terms referred to below. If you'd like to check when your offer ends, please refer to your bill.
  • Options

Hello,
    We're writing to tell you about some changes that'll affect your package price, our services, and the way our price rises will work from 2024 onwards. Please make sure you read this whole email carefully.

As you can probably imagine, with costs like energy bills rising fast, our running costs are increasing too. So to make sure we can keep giving you the quality of service you expect from us, the price of your package will go up.

However, this 2023 price increase won't affect you until your current price offer ends. The full price of your package will then increase by £21.50 a month, subject to the new pricing terms referred to below. If you'd like to check when your offer ends, please refer to your bill.
    My contract runs out next Jan, I renegotiated mine last summer, my bill is going up £15/ month. 

I wonder why you got that email, had you recently renewed?
  • Options
    SE9toDA2 said:
    I recently received an email about this price rise and actually thought it was a scam. It's especially galling as I had recently negotiated a decent discount in return for not leaving. One of the holds they have over me is that my email address, which stretches back to the old NTL days, is the one I use for virtually everything I do and to change it would be a logistical nightmare.. a tactic they've used in the past is the fact that I would lose this if I left. Does anyone with more knowledge know if this is correct, or can I transfer my email address to other companies as you can with a mobile number? 
    Virgin do stop your email if you move account. So do BT and a lot of other providers. You will need a hotmail,outlook or gmail email address to be independent of broadband providers.

Best to  set up new email address, forward all existing emails to the new address and then start to contact everyone that has the origin email address to change to the new one before cancelling broadband.

Fortunately enough, sky don’t.
  • Options

Hello,

My contract runs out next Jan, I renegotiated mine last summer, my bill is going up £15/ month. 

I wonder why you got that email, had you recently renewed?
    I renewed in November playing the annual "game" as advised on here.
    I've been playing the "game" for as long as I can remember, so at least 5 years.
    I think they quite rightly thought there's no point bumping his price, because he'll be straight on the phone and he'll win as usual  :)

Currently should be paying £145, but paying £92pm.
    (Yes I know about IPTV, but the wife wouldn't be able to manage that).
  • Options
    I've been on a contract with virgin for the last year. 
    £130 per month. 
    Got the letter telling me it was going up by £21 per month.
    I phoned them up and told them I wasn't prepared to pay any increase and was going to leave. 

By the time the phone conversation finished I am now on exactly the same deal as I was on 
    Multi Room
    Internet 
    Sky sports 
    Sky movies 
    Etc
    Now paying £95 per month for the next 18 months with a guarantee of no increase during this time. 
    Phone the buggers up and threaten to leave and they will offer a better deal.
  • Options
    £130 per month. 
    I phoned them up and told them I wasn't prepared to pay any increase and was going to leave. 

By the time the phone conversation finished I am now on exactly the same deal as I was on 
    Multi Room
    Internet 
    Sky sports 
    Sky movies 
    Etc
    Now paying £95 per month for the next 18 months with a guarantee of no increase during this time. 
    will give that a go over the weekend
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    I am currently with Virgin and yesterday received notification that my monthly broadband will go up from £27 - £34 per month (£7 increase) due to RPI + 3.9% increase. This is for 200mbps line (100mbps x 2 as I am an o2 customer).  The increase has annoyed me so much I am going to move my mobile to Vodafone and take Vodafone internet (500mbps) for £27 a month. If they were not so greedy and made a modest rise, then I would not bother with the hassle of moving. I have until April 4th to move without penalty.

Also recieved the same notification from o2 (part of the same company now). 
     I'm with you.
    My worry is that no other providers can match the speed of Virgin. And to be honest I've never had a problem with it.
    I've heard some horror stories about sky's broadband.
    What would people recommend to something that matches near Virgins reliability?
    They can I get 1Gb speed with Community Fibre and 24 months at £23.50, that of course is a special rate, but the bill states that would be £42.50 normally 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    £130 per month. 

Multi Room
    Internet 
    Sky sports 
    Sky movies 
    Etc
    will give that a go over the weekend
    You need to speak to/ ask to speak to "retentions". The general staff don't offer deals. 
  • Options
    I had a dodge sales man when they convinced me to cancel my cancellation and continue with them. He misold stuff and set up an 02 contract without my permission and an in fact despite the fact i told him not to in writing.

. I kept getting ignored by the cheif executive right up until the time limit to go to the ombudsmen was reached. All in all virgin full package is costing me 58 pounds per month on a 18 month contract and had 200 pounds of account credit applied to. another year to run thankfully
  • Options
    My update - contacted them through the WhatsApp option, didn't have to speak to the retention team this time. It took them a while to respond but the upshot is that I will not get the increase, will stay at £85 as per my contract, but for the next two months will only pay £63, pretty good result.

It's just so annoying to have to do the 'I'm leaving' dance every 6 months or so, wastes everyones time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've just watched an O2 ad which shows their deals are inflation plus as well.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    I've just watched an O2 ad which shows their deals are inflation plus as well.
    O2 and Virginmedia both use a higher measure of inflation(RPI) rather than the measure the government uses(CPI). Is it just a coincidence that RPI  is 13.4% and CPI 10.1%?
  • Options
    £130 per month. 

Multi Room
    Internet 
    Sky sports 
    Sky movies 
    Etc
    Took over half an hour on the phone, but got 38 quid a month reduction for 18 months - thanks for advice mate
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    £130 per month. 

Multi Room
    Internet 
    Sky sports 
    Sky movies 
    Etc
    Took over half an hour on the phone, but got 38 quid a month reduction for 18 months - thanks for advice mate
    Glad it worked out. 
    👍👍
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Virgin were about to increase my bill by over £50 at the end of the contract. I rang them and got a new contract at over £60 less a month than what they were going to charge me for 18 months. The thing is I was ready for a lot of haggling and they just offered me it without having to. As it was cheaper than the last contract I was a bit off guard and just accepted it rather than try to get it lower. 

My advice is if your contract is running out, get in touch straight away.
  • Options
    Community Fibre have some excellent deals. £20 p/m for 150mb d/l speed. 12 month contract, plus you get £70 amazon voucher, also no sign up fee.
  • Options
    Virgin Media is being investigated by the telecoms regulator over complaints that it is too difficult for customers to cancel their contracts.

Ofcom is also investigating how Virgin Media has handled complaints, and whether customers knew their rights.

It said companies should tell customers that they have the right to escalate their complaint to an independent ombudsman.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66174785

• Options
    clive said:
    Virgin Media is being investigated by the telecoms regulator over complaints that it is too difficult for customers to cancel their contracts.

Ofcom is also investigating how Virgin Media has handled complaints, and whether customers knew their rights.

It said companies should tell customers that they have the right to escalate their complaint to an independent ombudsman.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66174785

They, like a number of companies in this sector are a bit underhand in how they work. You really have to be on top of things in relation to your contract or you could easily be paying a lot more.
  • Options
    I hate them.

Contract ended towards the end of October, so start of November I go online, and see some good deals which are basically in line with what I was paying when in contract (obviously they basically double the price once you are out of contract). 

With the o2/VM "Volt" partnership, I would be getting 350MB broadband and 30GB mobile for £52 a month. (£37 for Virgin, £15 for O2)

I sign up, get the order confirmation and the pre contract documents but 2 weeks later no SIM has been received and my internet hasn't been increased.

Tried calling them today and they were trying to talk to me instead about what one of the call centre people who constantly harass you come contract renewal was offering, not what I signed up to online. I ask to be sent to disconnections. 

I explain the package to this guy and finally I feel like we are getting somewhere, until he then says that the £52 I am signing up to is for Virgin, and O2 is £15, and separate, which makes £67... 

This is an hour in, and I am not exactly known for a long fuse, so I just told him to cancel everything and that they are incompetent beyond belief. I said that I am not going to pay the 30 days notice that is required on the contract and they can sue me for it and I am raising a formal complaint and going to the ombudsman... :D  

Also, (I hope certain people aren't in this thread) foreign call centres, for as hard as they might try, so much gets lost in translation and I was getting absolutely nowhere. I think from now on I will only use companies with call centres in the UK. The experiences I have had with BT and First Direct, which is all UK are infinitely better than Virgin. 

Awful company. Although if I want fibre not through them someone from BT Openreach is going to have to come and drill holes in my house.... 
  • Options
    I've had major issues with them recently too...  18 months ago, my wife negotiated a very good contract, with more channels, Sky sports and cinema etc, for £52, less than we were paying for less. They called my wife in October this year while we were in the pub, and told her the contract was ending, offered a new deal, but we haggled and got an offer of £64.50.  When the paperwork came through it was wrong (it had the full price on it (£155) with no discounts); I called them and one CSR said they couldn't find the offer or match that offer, and quoted £72. I felt ripped off, insisted on talking to their UK base and called again a day later. They listened, but said they'd need to review the original taped call, and sorted out my new equipment and said ignore the paperwork that comes (quoting £157!) through as they would be in touch the next week.
    Nothing came through so I rang again...there was a note on my account saying they had no record or evidence that £64.50 was offered so I was going to be charged full price. I then had a long conversation with a CSR and finally got £66. Since then I've had messages telling me I'm going to be paying full price and get in touch to get a new deal, but at least I have the paperwork this time!
    Even now though, the new ultra fast router isn't as good as the old one, and we will need an engineer to sort it out I think....
    if only there was a decent alternative....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pedro45 said:
    I've had major issues with them recently too...  18 months ago, my wife negotiated a very good contract, with more channels, Sky sports and cinema etc, for £52, less than we were paying for less. They called my wife in October this year while we were in the pub, and told her the contract was ending, offered a new deal, but we haggled and got an offer of £64.50.  When the paperwork came through it was wrong (it had the full price on it (£155) with no discounts); I called them and one CSR said they couldn't find the offer or match that offer, and quoted £72. I felt ripped off, insisted on talking to their UK base and called again a day later. They listened, but said they'd need to review the original taped call, and sorted out my new equipment and said ignore the paperwork that comes (quoting £157!) through as they would be in touch the next week.
    Nothing came through so I rang again...there was a note on my account saying they had no record or evidence that £64.50 was offered so I was going to be charged full price. I then had a long conversation with a CSR and finally got £66. Since then I've had messages telling me I'm going to be paying full price and get in touch to get a new deal, but at least I have the paperwork this time!
    Even now though, the new ultra fast router isn't as good as the old one, and we will need an engineer to sort it out I think....
    if only there was a decent alternative....
    Funnily enough I had a similar situation to you, where someone had promised me a discount that I then couldn't see.

Upon talking to their UK call centre, they also couldn't see it but decided to manually override it, I think the discount was £15.

Once I received my bill, it turns out it had gone through, as had the override... So I was basically getting my broadband and TV (no exciting channels) for £12 a month rather than £27. 
  • Options
    Virgin actually used to be really good here, but have got really bad since the price was hiked to piss-take levels: I had a half-hour outage while working from home last night (went down at exactly 8, came back at 8.30, so must have been them working on the system without warning). Community Fibre were putting in new fibre around here at the start of the year but still don't seem to be ready for service.  It's very frustrating - contract's up in February, and I just want to get rid.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    I hate them.

Contract ended towards the end of October, so start of November I go online, and see some good deals which are basically in line with what I was paying when in contract (obviously they basically double the price once you are out of contract). 

With the o2/VM "Volt" partnership, I would be getting 350MB broadband and 30GB mobile for £52 a month. (£37 for Virgin, £15 for O2)

I sign up, get the order confirmation and the pre contract documents but 2 weeks later no SIM has been received and my internet hasn't been increased.

Tried calling them today and they were trying to talk to me instead about what one of the call centre people who constantly harass you come contract renewal was offering, not what I signed up to online. I ask to be sent to disconnections. 

I explain the package to this guy and finally I feel like we are getting somewhere, until he then says that the £52 I am signing up to is for Virgin, and O2 is £15, and separate, which makes £67... 

This is an hour in, and I am not exactly known for a long fuse, so I just told him to cancel everything and that they are incompetent beyond belief. I said that I am not going to pay the 30 days notice that is required on the contract and they can sue me for it and I am raising a formal complaint and going to the ombudsman... :D  

Also, (I hope certain people aren't in this thread) foreign call centres, for as hard as they might try, so much gets lost in translation and I was getting absolutely nowhere. I think from now on I will only use companies with call centres in the UK. The experiences I have had with BT and First Direct, which is all UK are infinitely better than Virgin. 

Awful company. Although if I want fibre not through them someone from BT Openreach is going to have to come and drill holes in my house.... 
    with regards to call centres, that why i was with Plusnet
  • Options
    Virgin emailed me yesterday saying my bill for broadband, television and landline was going up to £114 per month. A 42% increase on what I have been paying. The bloke said it was because my 'deal' had come to an end. I have one of their set top boxes and a 'hub'.

Anyway after much huffing and puffing he got it down to £96 a month, or confusingly £95 a month if I took Sky Sports (which I have never had and don't want).

So I looked around for a few minutes and landed on Community Fibre.

The guy persuaded me to change, said I would have the fastest broadband speed in London, but would also have Television, landline (through some confusing method, but keeping my long held number), and some kind of gadget in every room to receive the wireless fibre connection all over the house, all for no set up fee and £50 per month.

Somebody comes round next Monday and it takes two hours apparently to change it all over. He advised me to wait a week and then tell Virgin I am finished.

There is a solid cooling off period, and suchlike if I have problems.

Anybody else ever done this?

What happens in a practical sense, and will Virgin make an issue of anything like their 'hub' and set top box?

Has anybody else ever made the switch, and what are Community Fibre like?

For around £30 less than the £80 I currently pay it seems too good to be true
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Virgin emailed me yesterday saying my bill for broadband, television and landline was going up to £114 per month. A 42% increase on what I have been paying. The bloke said it was because my 'deal' had come to an end. I have one of their set top boxes and a 'hub'.

Anyway after much huffing and puffing he got it down to £96 a month, or confusingly £95 a month if I took Sky Sports (which I have never had and don't want).

So I looked around for a few minutes and landed on Community Fibre.

The guy persuaded me to change, said I would have the fastest broadband speed in London, but would also have Television, landline (through some confusing method, but keeping my long held number), and some kind of gadget in every room to receive the wireless fibre connection all over the house, all for no set up fee and £50 per month.

Somebody comes round next Monday and it takes two hours apparently to change it all over. He advised me to wait a week and then tell Virgin I am finished.

There is a solid cooling off period, and suchlike if I have problems.

Anybody else ever done this?

What happens in a practical sense, and will Virgin make an issue of anything like their 'hub' and set top box?

Has anybody else ever made the switch, and what are Community Fibre like?

For around £30 less than the £80 I currently pay it seems too good to be true
    Christ mate. Did they also offer to tarmac your drive??
  • Options
    Oh bugger. I have been scammed.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Just joshing. Seen them advertised and like you say only available in London.
    Don't know anyone with them.
  • Options
    They are a genuine company. Not sure how good they are though.
  • Options
    I known someone who uses their broadband. Much more reliable than virgin in eltham area. Gets 150gb download speed for £20.

if you have a virgin email address then they will want to charge you to carry on using it.

you will have to connect your devices to the new hub. If you have lots of devices using the existing hub then most probably easier to change the ssid and password of the new hub to be the same as the old virgin hub. This is done in an app provided by community fibre, the engineer should be able to help you do it.

You might have to send the virgin hub and tv box back to virgin once you cancel. Beware that virgin had to be phoned up about 3-4 times for them to actually cancel the service although they had said they had done it on each of the other occasions, currently being investigated by ofcom for this.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    @seth plum
    We switched from Virgin to Community Fibre about six months ago. It’s been brilliant. 
    Very fast download speeds, very low ping (for gamers) and zero interruptions in service. They also handled the phone switchover so that we kept our landline number. 
    Saved us about £40 a month, from memory. 
    The only thing I miss from Virgin is Eurosport for the cycling.