Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Virgin media

Comments

• Options

seth plum said:

Yet again (last of countless times was 10 days ago) no broadband or TV all day until 3.30. An engineer visit arranged, then cancelled by text...yet again...that is my experience of Virgin. The service goes down about every 10 days to two weeks.
    maybe other providers are worse, I wouldn't know, but for me Virgin have been absolutely awful.

Bizarre. My service in Bromley may go down for a couple of hours, say once a year, at a complete guess, ie very rare.
    Surely, there must be an ongoing local issue in the area or with your equipment ?
    This is obviously not normal.
    Went down again today from 3.55 to 9.50
  • Options
    Babestation is on freeview.... apparently
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Yet again (last of countless times was 10 days ago) no broadband or TV all day until 3.30. An engineer visit arranged, then cancelled by text...yet again...that is my experience of Virgin. The service goes down about every 10 days to two weeks.
    maybe other providers are worse, I wouldn't know, but for me Virgin have been absolutely awful.

Bizarre. My service in Bromley may go down for a couple of hours, say once a year, at a complete guess, ie very rare.
    Surely, there must be an ongoing local issue in the area or with your equipment ?
    Ask your neighbours if they are having the same problem.
  • Options
    If you live anywhere near Willmington dont get virgin broadband. I've got the fibre optic and cant get a wireless signal unless sitting next to the "superhub" Was told by virgin it will cost 99 quid to move it. Told them to feck off I aint paying. Only had it 2 months. They sent an engineer who said the hub was no good. So put a new one in. Still the same. They said it must be my walls but I can get good signals from bt and sky up to 8 doors along.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

I presume you saw yanntheman's comment at the bottom of page 2, where he suggests Virgin have a local issue, in the Eltham area. If true Lee is quite close.
  • Options
    If you are not getting the service or maintenance you think you should be getting from Virgin then complete their online complaints form - it does work, even when you are not making a complaint!
  • Options
    Seth, can add to Yanntheman's insight. I also live in Lee and have had some broadband issues in the last year. They were open with me from the start - they need to upgrade their network in our area and in the mean time they are constantly switching people to load balance. It's a pain but has been much better for us recently ( I noticed one one hour drop in the last month and there's usually someone on-line full time in our house).

I switched from sky about 8 years ago now and have never regretted it. Upscaled channels on standard def on it's own shows up Sky who have to balance bandwidth so SD is poor. Last I heard Sky didn't upscale as they want you to pay extra for the HD channels. TiVo is a great piece of kit and the broadband is lightening (when it's working which is most of time for me :-). You get BT thrown in and you can switch Sky sports on and off by the month (I only use it for the cricket).

Carly. TiVo does have some quirks, e.g. working out that channel up/down is page up/down in the guide and how to best use channel filtering.

With the catch up 'feature', it sounds like you were trying to use catch up on a show which you were also recording? Either enter the recording from My Shows and start from the beginning or cancel the recording and the hit enter on the show in the past and it should then start from the beginning without bouncing you out to the general catch up menu. That one caught me out a few times.
  • Options

Seth, can add to Yanntheman's insight. I also live in Lee and have had some broadband issues in the last year. They were open with me from the start - they need to upgrade their network in our area and in the mean time they are constantly switching people to load balance. It's a pain but has been much better for us recently ( I noticed one one hour drop in the last month and there's usually someone on-line full time in our house).

I switched from sky about 8 years ago now and have never regretted it. Upscaled channels on standard def on it's own shows up Sky who have to balance bandwidth so SD is poor. Last I heard Sky didn't upscale as they want you to pay extra for the HD channels. TiVo is a great piece of kit and the broadband is lightening (when it's working which is most of time for me :-). You get BT thrown in and you can switch Sky sports on and off by the month (I only use it for the cricket).

Carly. TiVo does have some quirks, e.g. working out that channel up/down is page up/down in the guide and how to best use channel filtering.

With the catch up 'feature', it sounds like you were trying to use catch up on a show which you were also recording? Either enter the recording from My Shows and start from the beginning or cancel the recording and the hit enter on the show in the past and it should then start from the beginning without bouncing you out to the general catch up menu. That one caught me out a few times.

Ok. Get this one. I'm currently watching the four part drama southcliffe 'on demand.' There is , I believe, no way of recording this show to get it into ' my shows' ,so if I decide to watch half an hour of it and watch the rest tomorrow I will have to go through the laborious search facility to find it again.
    Once I've found it I'll then have to try and remember where I got to and fast forward to this point. Correct so far?

On sky I'd be back to where I left of with the touch of one button! I'd also have the next three episodes waiting for me in my planner!

Please tell me I've got this wrong?

• Options

MrOneLung said:

Opted for virgin in the end. Seems ok but f*** me is the guide/planner hard work!
    Know I'm new to it ,but it's taken me 10 minutes to do something that would've taken 30seconds on sky!

Press guide.
    Then channel up or down moves to next or previous page.
    Left and right moves along the time.

Done.
    Bugbear 1. You go to home, move across to sports and select a sport channel. Fine. Whilst watching said sports channel you decide that you want to have a look what is on other channels,not just sport. Press 'select' and a mini guide pops up.Fine. Problem is you can only skim through sports channels. You then have to go back 'Home' and select 'all channels' to look at anything other than sport!

This is already a royal pain in the arse for me.

On the plus side. Netflix looks alright

(What have I become? I still remember Betamax and Remote controls on a wire!!)

Virgin are awful if you get internet problems, customer service are terrible, they are great at sales but when you really need them they are dire, mate across the road had major issues with them, they even had the cheek to say to him that he'll be back when he did cut ties.

I'm with sky, I've got every channel for 35 quid a month because I got a deal as if I'm a new member, (they are ways around it trust me) when it expires I then expire and start over again ;)
    I thought you'd only just got electricity up there?
  • Options
    uncle said:

If you live anywhere near Willmington dont get virgin broadband. I've got the fibre optic and cant get a wireless signal unless sitting next to the "superhub" Was told by virgin it will cost 99 quid to move it. Told them to feck off I aint paying. Only had it 2 months. They sent an engineer who said the hub was no good. So put a new one in. Still the same. They said it must be my walls but I can get good signals from bt and sky up to 8 doors along.

Surely you haven't got fibre optic in to the home? Must be to the local exchange with coax from there to each home?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not only does this pile of shit box record things/ whole series of its own free will ,but you have to delete each episode individually which takes a f******g age!!!!
  • Options
    You can delete all of the 'suggestions' with one button.

And you can also turn the facility off
  • Options

Not only does this pile of shit box record things/ whole series of its own free will ,but you have to delete each episode individually which takes a f******g age!!!!

No you don't. Am in bed at moment but tomorrow will tell you which button on handset you press to delete all episodes of a programme. Down towards bottom left of handset.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Give these a go Which Magazine Recommended Phone and Broadband supplier for three years

loadsofsavings.co.uk
  • Options

You can delete all of the 'suggestions' with one button.

And you can also turn the facility off

Did that two weeks ago. The clever little thing has managed to turn it back on!

• Options

Give these a go Which Magazine Recommended Phone and Broadband supplier for three years

loadsofsavings.co.uk

Nah! These outfits thrive because it promises all its customers kickbacks and to be frank all its customers are also its agents leading to them posting positive reviews in order to attract more business... Dodgy, huh?!
  • Options
    I converted from my old V+ box to Tivo at the weekend and really can't believe how crap the picture of Tivo is compared to the V+. Did anybody else do this and agree that Tivo has a pants picture quality?
  • Options
    TiVo resolution on my screen is superb.
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

I converted from my old V+ box to Tivo at the weekend and really can't believe how crap the picture of Tivo is compared to the V+. Did anybody else do this and agree that Tivo has a pants picture quality?

Might be your Tivo box. I have a Tivo box in one room and a V+ box in another and the picture quality is the same from both. It is pretty good I have to say from both boxes.

• Options

loadsofsavings.co.uk

Nah! These outfits thrive because it promises all its customers kickbacks and to be frank all its customers are also its agents leading to them posting positive reviews in order to attract more business... Dodgy, huh?!
    Complete nonsense - 500,000 plus customers and around 5% are agents and only about 2% are active - but hey good line.

Why would you not believe the UKs most respected independent consumer organisation - have they been duped by agents telling porkies or bigging it up. (Even the unciously devine Martin Lewis acknowledged they offer value on 5 live last week)

Yes I am a distributor but I was a customer first. I haven't had one day of interrupted broadband and I like the price. Even better is that the money I get for recommending them means I never have to pay for my gas, electricity, mobile phone, phone or broadband ever. How's that for great value?

But of course you can believe it's all a put up job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Virgin bstds will never use them

I started with them last Saturday, and so far I am well pleased, however the guys who installed were sub contractors and I got lucky. NLA I think it probably varies according to what area you are in. When it was Telewest it was complete shit, write to Richard, you might get a holiday on his Island !
  • Options
    Couldn't use them even if I wanted to - they don't serve my area. That doesn't stop them from bombarding me with letters and flyers though!
  • Options
    I always swore when it was NTL that I would never go down the cable route again and so far I haven't.
  • Options
    Seriously. If you're thinking of getting it.....Don't! The TiVo box is the worst piece of technology I've ever owned..
    . And I used to have a betamax!

And Netflix isn't worth a rub either
  • Options
    What can't you do now?
  • Options
    I have TiVo and find it very good
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

What can't you do now?

I seriously won't waste yours and my time. I'll be here all bloody night.
  • Options
    I have 2 Tivos and they are very good.
  • Options
    Never had problems with TiVo, would recommend it to anyone.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Never had problems with TiVo, would recommend it to anyone.

out of interest
    Have you ever owned a sky plus box dick?