Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Options

bobmunro said:

Cracksman yesterday looked like he's wintered well and grown into his 4 year old frame.

Let's hope we can see him and Enable take each other on before the Arc.

I'd expect Cracksman to have improved considerably over the Winter and I know who I would back if the two were to meet, depending upon ground conditions.
    A horse riding a horse? That would be a spectacle...
  • Options
    anyone see the fighting from goodwood the weekend, certainly puts you off the flat meetings.
  • Options

anyone see the fighting from goodwood the weekend, certainly puts you off the flat meetings.

I haven't but that really is a real shame. Goodwood is probably the most picturesque course that I have ever been to and to think that louts have done what they do there is very disappointing.
  • Options
    Not great scenes at Goodwood, no. Despite this, I'm still very excited to be going to my first "proper" race meet - Ladies Day at Epsom!

I've been to Kempton twice for the AW Twilight meetings (rubbish grade 5 affairs, mainly) with work, so to go and see some proper horses (hopefully Cracksman/Hawkbill/Cloth of Stars/Happily/September, and so on) would be wonderful!
  • Options
    royal ascot last year on the saturday is now a no go for me if you want it nice go during the week otherwise some toby in asos suit, with loafers and either no or red socks on acting like a complete wanker.
  • Options
    Summer flat festivals and Saturday meetings are now spoiled by these arseholes and a completely no go area for me
  • Options
    Got to have sniffer dogs at these meets the amount of twats that can’t handle the gear and drinking Stella whilst wearing a suit is unbelievable, Cheltenham and even aintree you don’t really see this sort of thing, although Cheltenham is less of a fancy occasion and aintree you would expect trouble you just don’t really get it, issue is the weather and the amount of “lads” that go in groups. Only ever done ascot for the flat racing - was looking to go lingfeild over the summer but might not bother.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Got to have sniffer dogs at these meets the amount of twats that can’t handle the gear and drinking Stella whilst wearing a suit is unbelievable, Cheltenham and even aintree you don’t really see this sort of thing, although Cheltenham is less of a fancy occasion and aintree you would expect trouble you just don’t really get it, issue is the weather and the amount of “lads” that go in groups. Only ever done ascot for the flat racing - was looking to go lingfeild over the summer but might not bother.

Lingfield on a Saturday evening isn’t worth the hassle - always trouble
  • Options

Lingfield on a Saturday evening isn’t worth the hassle - always trouble
    cheers for heads up will give that a miss then.
  • Options

Brilliant news - FOBT maximum stake confirmed as cut from £100 to £2

Bookmakers might just have to become bookmakers again

Very good news :)
  • Options
    No doubt bookies will be spinning the 'this will lead to shop closures and job losses' line.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

No doubt bookies will be spinning the 'this will lead to shop closures and job losses' line.

Already have done, heard it on the radio this morning.
  • Options
    Going to the races for the first time ever on sat. Newbury for my cousin’s stag do. Really looking forward to it. Any of you more learned chaps got any tips for any races on that day would be much appreciated

Haven’t got massive funds this month so was gonna just chuck £12 on a super heinz to be honest

• Options
    cabbles said:

Going to the races for the first time ever on sat. Newbury for my cousin’s stag do. Really looking forward to it. Any of you more learned chaps got any tips for any races on that day would be much appreciated

Haven’t got massive funds this month so was gonna just chuck £12 on a super heinz to be honest

Take your boxing gloves.
  • Options

The irony on bookies getting restricted is cause for a champagne breakfast this morning!

William Hill have already had to start relaxing restrictions on bets on TV races. The only logical explanation for me is that it's in expectation they will lose out on that sweet FOBT money. I expect others will start to follow suit? We can hope.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/william-hill-trialling-bet-guarantee-on-itv-racing/328261
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The irony on bookies getting restricted is cause for a champagne breakfast this morning!

William Hill have already had to start relaxing restrictions on bets on TV races. The only logical explanation for me is that it's in expectation they will lose out on that sweet FOBT money. I expect others will start to follow suit? We can hope.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/william-hill-trialling-bet-guarantee-on-itv-racing/328261
    There is another logical explanation - which you will likely see in the fullness of time!!
  • Options
    Cabbles enjoy your day and here are two for you today
    Newbury 3.00 Mekong
    Newbury 4.50 Athena
  • Options

Cabbles enjoy your day and here are two for you today
    Newbury 3.00 Mekong
    Newbury 4.50 Athena

Top man, thanks Killer. Really looking forward to it despite all the silliness over recent weeks.
  • Options
    Mekong middle of the pack in the end. Fingers crossed for Athena - stuck a tenner on each
  • Options
    Some quality birds here though
  • Options
    Can also see how racing can get those punch ups as well. So many people are hooned
  • Options
    Nearly got Athena.......
    Always get plenty of top class fillies when going racing on Saturdays
  • Options

Nearly got Athena.......
    Always get plenty of top class fillies when going racing on Saturdays

Ladies Day at Epsom in two weeks! But the main gal Enable is out, boo
  • Options
    God knows how you lot pick them

I think the first 2 times I dabbled at Cheltenham I got lucky

Absolutely none of that in a while though. My cousin was about £300 up just picking winners

Good day though
  • Options
    Having had a cursory glance at the cards today, I'm really intrigued by the 7.45 at Windsor. D'BAI (13/2) is only going over 6f for the second time (looked alright when doing it at Meydan but might not have run the right race for himself), having previously been a winner over 7f/1m. Always runs well - very smart - and I'd be very tempted by a small each-way flutter, with The Tin Man quite easily opposable at evens.