Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    Big_Bob said:

Can't understand Melon sharing favouritism with Faugheen for Sunday- this is a horse who couldn't reign in TNO and My Tent last time out, who have both been thrashed by Faugheen in the past. The machine turns up in any kind of decent condition, he routs these.

Can't disagree with you regarding the merits of Melon's form to date and wouldn't dare to suggest that a fully fit Faugheen wouldn't beat him comfortably. However, we should remember that Melon is only just a 6 year old and has only had five outings over hurdles so wouldn't read the TNO/MTOY form too literally. With doubts about Faugheen's well being (notwithstanding Bob Munro's confirmation that all is good) I am not surprised that they are close in the betting. Come the day I am sure that Faugheen will go off comfortable favourite.
  • Options

Big_Bob said:

Can't understand Melon sharing favouritism with Faugheen for Sunday- this is a horse who couldn't reign in TNO and My Tent last time out, who have both been thrashed by Faugheen in the past. The machine turns up in any kind of decent condition, he routs these.

Can't disagree with you regarding the merits of Melon's form to date and wouldn't dare to suggest that a fully fit Faugheen wouldn't beat him comfortably. However, we should remember that Melon is only just a 6 year old and has only had five outings over hurdles so wouldn't read the TNO/MTOY form too literally. With doubts about Faugheen's well being (notwithstanding Bob Munro's confirmation that all is good) I am not surprised that they are close in the betting. Come the day I am sure that Faugheen will go off comfortable favourite.
    All is very good according to the stable - and consider that the mighty Faugheen will work regularly with Melon on the gallops!! He is burning up the gallops apparently.

There is absolutely no explanation of what happened last time out at Leopardstown and all the signs are that Faugheen is 100% sound and fit.

We shall see.
  • Options
    atr lose all irish racing from 2019 to racing uk
  • Options
    defi du seuil - looks overpriced at 5/1

faugheen in usual form evens is printing money BUT its a mullins horse and the last time out when it was pu apparently was doing well in training.
  • Options
    sralan said:

Very sad to hear that Malcolm Jefferson has passed away. RIP.

Indeed it is having fought cancer for a long time. He was a very good judge of a horse.

RIP
  • Options

atr lose all irish racing from 2019 to racing uk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sor9GzivGbk

One for the oldies.
  • Options
    Very sad news re Malcolm Jefferson. A very astute trainer and hugely respected.
    It would be a fitting tribute if Waiting Patiently, who could turn out to be the best he ever trained, could win at the Cheltenham in March.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

I've been advised to back Faugheen for Sunday and Cheltenham.

Can't have him on my mind personally. Wasn't impressed as others were on his comeback, and duly blew up last time. Would be some effort to get him back! At 6/4 or shorter you're a braver man than me to pay to find out! 10yo now too, everything against him.

Backed Supasundae at 20/1 ew 1/5 odds first 3 earlier in the week for the race. More my sort of bet, but I am a pure each way scumbag! Hopefully race cuts up to 5 or 6 runners.

On similar thinking I've done this each way double for Cheltenham. JOHN CONSTABLE at 66/1 Champion Hurdle, and ORDINARY WORLD 50/1 Champion Chase. Both love better ground, and both races are an absolute mess in terms of markets at the moment. And you get Davy Russell riding both of them, which is a plus. If both hit the first 3, pays 155.2/1.

John Constable reasoning is this. Thrives in spring on better ground, ran nice race last time on unsuitable soft ground. Won't beat Buveur D'Air but capable of beating the rest of them. And if anything happens to Buveur D'Air you're in a good position. Best advice I ever had betting was "how can you not have an each way bet NRNB where there is an odds-on favourite". If fav comes out a chunk of the book goes, and the bookie can't rule 4 you! Don't run and you get your money back!

Ordinary World loves good ground too and ran big race to finish third in Arkle last year. De Bromhead trains, Russell rides, and with all the shite around Altior, Douvan, Yorkhill etc... it wouldn't surprise me if none of them show and we end up with worst Champion Chase in memory.
    Well done PolzeathNick!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    bobmunro said:

Big_Bob said:

All is very good according to the stable - and consider that the mighty Faugheen will work regularly with Melon on the gallops!! He is burning up the gallops apparently.

There is absolutely no explanation of what happened last time out at Leopardstown and all the signs are that Faugheen is 100% sound and fit.

We shall see.
    Ho hum.

Well beaten - by a three miler!! The great horse has earned his retirement now.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreed Bob. Hope they put him away now.
  • Options
    Actually I'm more positive about him now than I was before the race. They came home from 3 out 2s quicker than the winner of the handicap hurdle, and did so carrying 2 stone more in weight.

Rated the winner 168, and Faugheen 165. Still a stone below his win in this race a few years back, but no back number by any means!
  • Options
    Great weekend over there, would highly recommend
  • Options
    SAMCRO looks a monster. Hope he goes for the Ballymore for those with juicy a/p tickets but if he turns up in the supreme, there'll be no problems either. Proper horse.
  • Options
    Anyone know why stormy Ireland didn’t run yesterday?
  • Options
    Saw Patrick Mullins say that they're going straight to the festival with him paul.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/42957809

"Betting patterns for two big races at the Dublin Racing Festival on Saturday are being investigated by the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board (IHRB)."

Irish Champion Hurdle and Dublin Chase are the two races in question. This mean anything to anyone?
  • Options
    Means that someone or more than one person knew that Melon and Yorkhill weren't going to win and laid them to lose accordingly with Betfair.
    Both horses ran awful races.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    PaddyP17 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/42957809

"Betting patterns for two big races at the Dublin Racing Festival on Saturday are being investigated by the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board (IHRB)."

Irish Champion Hurdle and Dublin Chase are the two races in question. This mean anything to anyone?

Means that someone or more than one person knew that Melon and Yorkhill weren't going to win and laid them to lose accordingly with Betfair.
    Both horses ran awful races.

Melon went from 3.6 to 6.2 in 90 seconds before the race. It either takes a lot of money to that and/or one or more people have simply "swiped" everything that was up there available.

Perhaps even a large bookmakers and I wonder how the BHA would view that given that they would say that "our traders took the view" or "didn't like the way the horse was going down" etc etc
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    anyone know of any cheltenham preview nights in london, have been to the betbright one last couple of years - but no news on it this year so doubt its going ahead.

any recommendations would be greatfully recieved.

thanks
    Edit: bet Bright one announced for 1st March at cargo shoreditch, only £6 entry and last year was a great insight aswell as some special offers for attendees only.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sandown do a good preview night on the Saturday before Cheltenham. Imperial Cup (or whatever it maybe called now) a good days racing followed by a good preview of Cheltenham. Have been the past two years and they have good guests too and one guest is always from who is there that day either jockey/trainer
  • Options
    5ish weeks to cheltenham.
  • Options
    doing the weds and thurs this year cant wait, stopping in birmingham as per usual, cheap as for hotel not major agg to get back to and a non cock heavy night out if you feel like one.

heading out up town on the friday to watch gold cup somewhere, only thing is i cant think of anywhere with a decentish crowd to watch it.
  • Options
    Were going on the 15th, which i think is the thursday.
  • Options

anyone know of any cheltenham preview nights in london, have been to the betbright one last couple of years - but no news on it this year so doubt its going ahead.

any recommendations would be greatfully recieved.

thanks
    Edit: bet Bright one announced for 1st March at cargo shoreditch, only £6 entry and last year was a great insight aswell as some special offers for attendees only.

https://www.roa.co.uk/en/events/cheltenham-preview-evenings-2018.cfm

• Options
    Been to a few preview nights over the years, and have to say 95% of them are a complete waste of time. Now obviously different people like different things, but from my experience jockeys and trainers are absolutely dreadful at these sort of things. You'll just get some token general analysis about the well fancied horses...."Samcro will be hard to beat...." etc....

I did go to one last year in the City, which had Tony Calvin and Rory Delargy on, and that was head and shoulders above any other preview I'd been to....actually saying stuff that was vaguely thought provoking.
  • Options

Been to a few preview nights over the years, and have to say 95% of them are a complete waste of time. Now obviously different people like different things, but from my experience jockeys and trainers are absolutely dreadful at these sort of things. You'll just get some token general analysis about the well fancied horses...."Samcro will be hard to beat...." etc....

I did go to one last year in the City, which had Tony Calvin and Rory Delargy on, and that was head and shoulders above any other preview I'd been to....actually saying stuff that was vaguely thought provoking.

the one last year a highlight was nick luck being plastered and trying to mc the event.

last year there was a special offer for attendees only of evens on altior - which really was printing money.
  • Options

I tend to agree with this although they can be quite entertaining. I would liken them to the Racing Post pull outs for some trainers - it's what they don't say and the horses they don't talk about which are the ones to concentrate on because the last thing some owners want is to have the inside story on the unexposed sorts they've paid for plastered all over the papers.

As an aside, I was at Betfair with Tony Calvin and my eldest now works with his son as traders for one of the biggest spread betting firms.
  • Options
    I take the preview nights as fun and enjoy them but would never take any of there tips or suggestions on board.