Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    Bacardys was declared for hurdles race yesterday before became a NR.

Think the race Samcro is going for is over 2m6f. The Deloitte next weekend has changed from 2m2f to 2m to split them out a bit clearer.
  • Options

Bacardys was declared for hurdles race yesterday before became a NR.

Think the race Samcro is going for is over 2m6f. The Deloitte next weekend has changed from 2m2f to 2m to split them out a bit clearer.

Yes correct - 2m6f - but we know Samcro will stay forever!!
  • Options
    I'm not one that usually goes for hype around horses, in fact usually take them all on. But if Samcro stays sound and progresses as he should do, considering just a novice, I do think he will be the best horse Gigginstown have ever had, and will be up there with Sprinter Sacre and Kauto Star.

Been doing my figures since 2009 and what he did last time was ridiculous. Balbir Du Mathan won a fair handicap hurdle on the card over 2miles, and Samcro went faster than him throughout his race over half a mile further and seemingly in second gear eased down in the closing stages.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

PaddyP17 said:

Another Supreme Novices' punt which looks potentially more likely than Damalisque at the minute, in the form of Samcro. My mate Joel outlines several good reasons here: http://2ptsw.in/tips/1pt-ante-post-win-samcro-161-supreme-novices-hurdle/

"It’s fascinating to see Cheltenham Festival’s biggest hype horse SAMCRO entered in next month’s Irish Champion Hurdle, given it’s highly unusual to pitch a novice into Grade 1 open company.

Connections must smell blood after Faugheen recently bombed out of the Ryanair Hurdle at Leopardstown, blowing open the two-mile hurdling division in Ireland.

Though he is also entered in the longer-distance novice hurdle at that meeting, and is shortest in the betting for the middle-distance Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival, Gigginstown – his owners – must fancy his chances of being effective over the minimum trip.

If they do run him in the Irish Champion Hurdle, and he wins, that’ll throw a huge spanner in the ante-post markets for both the Supreme Novices’ Hurdle and Champion Hurdle in March, where he trades 16/1 and 50/1 respectively.

He wasn’t included in the Champion Hurdle entries so it’s fairly safe to presume that he would be aimed at the former – and that makes the 16/1 look huge.

This horse looks like a freak; he’s unbeaten in six starts and has shown devastating speed to win those by a huge aggregate lengths margin, and I don’t really understand the disparity in the price between his Cheltenham assignments, as he’s just 2/1 for the Ballymore.

I feel that’s sound logic for an ante-post poke at the opener in March.

1pt ante-post win Samcro @16/1, Supreme Novices’ Hurdle"

The Leopardstown Festival next weekend is pretty much a series of Cheltenham trials with Grade 1s all over the place. There's an equivalent Supreme trial and a Ballymore trial - Willie is sending Samcro to the 2m4f event - that confirms it to me - he'll go for the Ballymore.

Couple of other snippets:

Laurina 12/1 each-way for the Mares Novice Hurdle. the word was that if she's entered for the Solerina at Fairyhouse then max bet for the Mares Novices. Guess what - she's running in the Solerina tomorrow. Back her for Cheltenham before the race tomorrow.

Barcardys – Stayers Hurdle 12/1 NRNB
    Again, big insight here, he currently runs over fences where everybody thinks he’ll stay, not so apparently, a switch back to hurdles is likely. With NRNB factored, he either runs and will be miles shorter, or money back. Beat Finian’s Oscar last year over timber.

Much obliged Bob. Dealt on Bacardys NRNB.
  • Options

I'm not one that usually goes for hype around horses, in fact usually take them all on. But if Samcro stays sound and progresses as he should do, considering just a novice, I do think he will be the best horse Gigginstown have ever had, and will be up there with Sprinter Sacre and Kauto Star.

Been doing my figures since 2009 and what he did last time was ridiculous. Balbir Du Mathan won a fair handicap hurdle on the card over 2miles, and Samcro went faster than him throughout his race over half a mile further and seemingly in second gear eased down in the closing stages.

I agree - a very special horse in the making.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

PaddyP17 said:

Another Supreme Novices' punt which looks potentially more likely than Damalisque at the minute, in the form of Samcro. My mate Joel outlines several good reasons here: http://2ptsw.in/tips/1pt-ante-post-win-samcro-161-supreme-novices-hurdle/

"It’s fascinating to see Cheltenham Festival’s biggest hype horse SAMCRO entered in next month’s Irish Champion Hurdle, given it’s highly unusual to pitch a novice into Grade 1 open company.

Connections must smell blood after Faugheen recently bombed out of the Ryanair Hurdle at Leopardstown, blowing open the two-mile hurdling division in Ireland.

Though he is also entered in the longer-distance novice hurdle at that meeting, and is shortest in the betting for the middle-distance Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival, Gigginstown – his owners – must fancy his chances of being effective over the minimum trip.

If they do run him in the Irish Champion Hurdle, and he wins, that’ll throw a huge spanner in the ante-post markets for both the Supreme Novices’ Hurdle and Champion Hurdle in March, where he trades 16/1 and 50/1 respectively.

He wasn’t included in the Champion Hurdle entries so it’s fairly safe to presume that he would be aimed at the former – and that makes the 16/1 look huge.

This horse looks like a freak; he’s unbeaten in six starts and has shown devastating speed to win those by a huge aggregate lengths margin, and I don’t really understand the disparity in the price between his Cheltenham assignments, as he’s just 2/1 for the Ballymore.

I feel that’s sound logic for an ante-post poke at the opener in March.

1pt ante-post win Samcro @16/1, Supreme Novices’ Hurdle"

The Leopardstown Festival next weekend is pretty much a series of Cheltenham trials with Grade 1s all over the place. There's an equivalent Supreme trial and a Ballymore trial - Willie is sending Samcro to the 2m4f event - that confirms it to me - he'll go for the Ballymore.

Couple of other snippets:

Laurina 12/1 each-way for the Mares Novice Hurdle. the word was that if she's entered for the Solerina at Fairyhouse then max bet for the Mares Novices. Guess what - she's running in the Solerina tomorrow. Back her for Cheltenham before the race tomorrow.

Barcardys – Stayers Hurdle 12/1 NRNB
    Again, big insight here, he currently runs over fences where everybody thinks he’ll stay, not so apparently, a switch back to hurdles is likely. With NRNB factored, he either runs and will be miles shorter, or money back. Beat Finian’s Oscar last year over timber.

Laurina now as short as 7/4 for the Mares Novice
  • Options
    7 bets today. Did the singles and 5 folds & upwards.

4 winners:
    6/1
    15/2
    5/1
    9/1

2 x 2nd:
    9/1
    5/1

1 x 3rd:
    6/1

both the 2nds beaten 3/4 length and the one in the 3:00 Cheltenham completely bungled the last and would otherwise definitely have won. (Thanks T Scudamore)
    Watched the 3:35 at Cheltenham screaming for the one I’d backed to get beaten and inevitably it wins 3 length.

The 5 fold alone with the one in the 3 o’clock would have paid £10k.

Won about £500. Feel absolutely sick.
  • Options

4 winners:
    6/1
    15/2
    5/1
    9/1

2 x 2nd:
    9/1
    5/1

1 x 3rd:
    6/1

both the 2nds beaten 3/4 length and the one in the 3:00 Cheltenham completely bungled the last and would otherwise definitely have won. (Thanks T Scudamore)
    Watched the 3:35 at Cheltenham screaming for the one I’d backed to get beaten and inevitably it wins 3 length.

That's really unlucky MLC. Hopefully the winners will come along like buses now.
  • Options

4 winners:
    6/1
    15/2
    5/1
    9/1

2 x 2nd:
    9/1
    5/1

1 x 3rd:
    6/1

That's really unlucky MLC. Hopefully the winners will come along like buses now.
    Thanks mate.
    All part of the game I know, but that last hurdle blunder by Black Op really did me today.
    Betting wise we've probably all had similar experiences, but I thought this was my day.

Sad we didn't see Beer Googles win, that would have been proper reason to shed a tear.
  • Options

4 winners:
    6/1
    15/2
    5/1
    9/1

2 x 2nd:
    9/1
    5/1

1 x 3rd:
    6/1

Thanks mate.
    All part of the game I know, but that last hurdle blunder by Black Op really did me today.
    Betting wise we've probably all had similar experiences, but I thought this was my day.

Sad we didn't see Beer Googles win, that would have been proper reason to shed a tear.
    Hey!
    Sorry I missed you last week. I'm not there that much these days so a bit of notice would always be helpful!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

4 winners:
    6/1
    15/2
    5/1
    9/1

2 x 2nd:
    9/1
    5/1

1 x 3rd:
    6/1

As I always say to AA, a miss is as good as a mile...
  • Options
    Big double on Evan William's horses in the first two races at Hereford today
  • Options
    sralan said:

Going to have to leave that one sralan as of all the trainers I couldn't trust to land one short priced favourite, let alone two, he would be top of my list. And at about 5/2 the double, the value, to me, as flown out of the door.

Wish you luck nevertheless.
  • Options
    Gonna take a chance with Aptly Put in the first @ 8/1. Like the fave, a former PTP and should appreciate the trip.
  • Options

Gonna take a chance with Aptly Put in the first @ 8/1. Like the fave, a former PTP and should appreciate the trip.

Now drifting like the barge @ 22 on Betfair from 10 in a matter of minutes!
  • Options
    sralan said:

That's unlucky sralan as only a nod of the heads - looked genuine enough but always worry when a horse finishes runner up three times on the bounce.
  • Options
    a shoulder away from landing v unlucky as the 2.10 horse won by 10 lengths.
  • Options
    Bit sick but that's the way it goes
  • Options
    heading over to ireland for leopordstown festival should get a good look at some faves for cheltenham.

few ones of note to look at most ante post cheltenham accas would feature some of the following.

sat 3rd feb

1.10 samcro

1.40 min, yorkhill

2.20 footpad

3.30 faugheen

any tips welcomed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not a tip but stormy Ireland that bobmunro mentioned for the triumph hurdle is running in the grade 1 juvenile hurdle on Sunday.
  • Options
    I've been advised to back Faugheen for Sunday and Cheltenham.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

To take on Buveur D'Air?! Interesting. Any particular reasons?
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    105 entries for the big one. Bloody lottery......Guess I'll just stick a pin in the paper as usual. :smiley:
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

bobmunro said:

To take on Buveur D'Air?! Interesting. Any particular reasons?
    He is smashing it at home and I have a lot of faith in my Mullins contacts. But I agree, everything that is exposed says Buveur D'Air takes some beating.
  • Options
    Can't understand Melon sharing favouritism with Faugheen for Sunday- this is a horse who couldn't reign in TNO and My Tent last time out, who have both been thrashed by Faugheen in the past. The machine turns up in any kind of decent condition, he routs these.
  • Options
    If I was a Faugheen backer, I'd be very concerned that nothing seemingly came to light last time. Quite frankly backing him at a short price on Saturday is madness whether he wins or loses.
  • Options

If I was a Faugheen backer, I'd be very concerned that nothing seemingly came to light last time. Quite frankly backing him at a short price on Saturday is madness whether he wins or loses.

I've never been known for my sanity when it comes to backing horses!

• Options
    He put up the best figure I've ever given a hurdler when he won this race few years back. It'd be great to see him do something similar....I just struggle to see a 10yo whose had 2 runs in two years, one of which he didn't complete doing it. Would be some training effort!

Disappointed the race hasn't cut up more tbh, but still think Supasundae is way overpriced and now looks like 8 will line up