Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Options
    Cricketers do tend to be either more educated or privately wealthy than say footballers, so do have to option of retiring young to do other things

Not as good a player, but Fabian Cowdrey retired earlier this month, while a few years ago Alex Loudon was another "hyped" young spinner who quite cricket early for another career
  • Options

People have been suggesting this was a possibility on the members forum for a few months.

With his last few years been blighted with injury after injured I suspect the enjoyment of it wore off. Couple that with the endless opportunities he will have elsewhere and you can see why he did it.

Shame. Real shame. A few years ago when he for his first text call up he'd been n the form of his life with bat and ball. Then half an hour later he gets a freak injury and he hasn't been the same since.

Gutted for the guy and for Surrey.

A bit of me is a little angry and thinks it's a waste. For so many of us playing sport is the dream. Most of us aren't talented enough to get there. To give it up when your career is still on an upwards trajectory seems licking such a waste. If he was over his injuries form would return in time and I'm sure he'd play for England again.

I was really looking forward to having Borthwick and Ansari ands our 2 spinners both batting in the top 6 for the next 10 years. Gutted is an understatement.

Saw him make his debut in a T20. He batted better in that game than he bowled but it was clear he was going to be class.

He will, potentially, earn a lot more as a lawyer than a cricketer. And he will have not taken this decision lightly - you don't go through 15 years from age group cricket to give up easily. It's also the worst possible game to be playing when your head is not in the right place. And that is the reason why cricket has the highest instances of suicide. Far too much time for reflection.

As for "upward trajectory" - not being able to get in the Surrey 1st team is surely going in the other direction.
    Sure he's suffered from injuries in the last few years and has only played one game this year. He'd still be a certain for our one day and T20 sides. And it was only a matter of time before he found form and returned in the championship. He would also have got a franchise contract in a couple years that would have been worth some cash.
  • Options
    When he says 'career in law' he probably means either 'future high court judge' or 'future prime minister' tbh
  • Options

CHG said:

I see Surrey voted for the city based T20 competition.

Where have you seen that? It's certainly against the message members were told by Alex Stewart and Richard Gould last week?
    Only Middlesex and Essex voted against, Kent abstained, from the BBC report.

• Options
    He heard that turncoat Surrey was signing away the future of the county game, so he decided he could not face wearing their badge any more.

Honorable decision.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    CHG said:

CHG said:

I see Surrey voted for the city based T20 competition.

Where have you seen that? It's certainly against the message members were told by Alex Stewart and Richard Gould last week?
    Only Middlesex and Essex voted against, Kent abstained, from the BBC report.

That's pretty disgraceful considering surrey's very public opposition to it.

It's a change of approach to what the members were told as recently as last week and I'm pretty furious about it.

What's the point in going through all the help bullshit, canvassing members and fans opinions getting a resounding answer. Publicly saying there hay from a commercial and financial viewpoint you agree with thehehayhat stance. Publicly saying things like 'only Surrey play at thehehayhat he oval and we won't allow it to be used for franchise cricket'.

Why do all that to then be the turkey that votes for Christmas?

Fucking stupid.

I'll be getting my old man to use his membership to write to them and complain. Not that it'll do any good.
  • Options
    On further research it seems surrey's official stance is roughly:

We oppose it completely. But the ECB has made it clear that it will happen no matter what. And because the vote is fixed already and there is a bribe we should accept the bribe in order to make it the 'least worst' option possible for Surrey. And try and effect change from the inside!

What a load of old bollocks.

I get we could never win the vote with half the counties votes decided for them and plenty others accepting the bribe. But come on. Make a stand. At least Kent had the bollocks to abstain ffs. Oppose it until you have nothing left. Don't give in with barely a whimper.

Idiots.
  • Options
    Curious as Surrey were one of the most powerful opponents of the plan, and unlike Kent (who've got flak for only abstaining) financially powerful enough not to be in the pocket of the ECB
  • Options

Curious as Surrey were one of the most powerful opponents of the plan, and unlike Kent (who've got flak for only abstaining) financially powerful enough not to be in the pocket of the ECB

Bang on. It's made me very angry. And from what I understand at a meeting with members last week (or maybe the week bwfore) members were only told about how vehemently they opposed this change.

I don't get it at all.

What an absolute load of bollocks.

Respect to the counties that voted against.
  • Options

I' m not sure he would have earned more as a lawyer , especially if he was able to get a central England contract

Depends if he wrote to Roland....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surprised by the Ansari announcement,
    I don't think there would be many his age that would do the same, especially with a potential​ England central contact in the future and the financial lure of the new T20 tournament around the corner.
    Only saw him in a couple of T20 games but seemed to have a decent career ahead of him, wish him all the best.
  • Options
    play cricket, or become a lawyer - hmmm, yeah, tough decision that.
  • Options
    Masterclass in one day batting from Ben Foakes here.

Needed it to as we were in a bit of a hole. He's pushing us up towards that 300 mark.

273 for 5 with 3 overs remaining.

Foakes 89 not out off 61 balls.
    Sam 14 n.o. off 18.
  • Options
    290 for 8.
    A decent target I think
  • Options
    Jade is on fire.

Somerset 7-2

Obviously doesn't want Foakes getting that MOTM award!
  • Options
    Including selfish up himself Steven Davies out for a duck! Hahaha hahahaha

Sam Curran gets in on the act 12-3
  • Options
    Sammy has another. Hildreth c Dernbach

17-4.

Suspect we might win this one...
  • Options
    Not to be outdone Dernbach bowls Hose for 4.

22-5

Top score of 6 so far.

Catastrophic start by Somerset!

Hahahahahahahagahahaagag
  • Options
    Bloody hell I just popped out for 30 minutes and Somerset are 5 down.
    Unbelievable Geoff
  • Options
    Brilliant !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    22-5 to 197-5 and Surrey now 11/2 from being 1/33 !!!!

Sangakara's easy drop at 27-5 may prove crucial.
  • Options

22-5

Top score of 6 so far.

Hahahahahahahagahahaagag

Who's laughing now Canters? Honestly, a man of your knowledge of cricket and Surrey really should know better ;-)
  • Options
    I expect a collapse any time now
  • Options

22-5

Top score of 6 so far.

Hahahahahahahagahahaagag

Who's laughing now Canters? Honestly, a man of your knowledge of cricket and Surrey really should know better ;-)
    I deserve that. For counting my chickens and being a smug twat! I hereby announce that any cricketing failures from this Surrey team, here on in, for the rest of the season, are entirely my fault.
  • Options
    If this is what happens, county cricket needs more South Africans
  • Options
    Fucking hell. We should never have lost this from that position. It's a disgrace. Although I feel we deserve to lose it for the way we let them get away from us...
  • Options

Fucking hell. We should never have lost this from that position. It's a disgrace. Although I feel we deserve to lose it for the way we let them get away from us...

Keep the faith canters
    I am still confident of victory
  • Options

Keep the faith canters
    I've heard of blind faith but that is ridiculous.

There you are Canters - I've given you a chance to laugh at me when Surrey win.

Not that I'm expecting anything other than a Somerset victory now.
  • Options

Keep the faith canters
    I've heard of blind faith but that is ridiculous.

There you are Canters - I've given you a chance to laugh at me when Surrey win.

Not that I'm expecting anything other than a Somerset victory now.
    I concede.
    But despite our frailties today that innings by van see MERWE is as good as you will ever see in this format considering that they were 5 down so early on
    So Addick Addict first blood to you but it's a long season and we will batter Kent when we play you.
  • Options
    That was one of the great county knocks, given the circumstances...