Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top 5 - Popular Bands/Artists/genres you just don't get

124»

Comments

• I can't take a whole album in one go, but I think Mike Skinner has real talent, and its the lyrics that I really like. "I see Alice in Wonderland, I see malice in Sunderland..." And "Fit but you know it" creases me up every time.

Is this wrong, at my age?

Nothing wrong with that. Along with Alex Turner, he's one of the best social commentators of a generation
    Which tracks would you recommend from later albums? (sorry for temporary thread derailment)
    The streets? Blip on a screen, on the edge of a cliff, trust me, lock the locks. Ill have some more tomorrow.
  • edited May 2014
    Mumford & Sons - how can anyone play a banjo and be so smug?
    Irish "jigs" - deeply, deeply irritating
    Finger-in-the-ear, wholemeal jumper folk music - a finger in each ear is the only response
    Bono and U2 - self-aggrandising, "save the world", hypocritical horseshit
    Dixieland jazz - the resident band at the Preservation Hall in New Orleans is without doubt the dreariest gig on Earth
  • edited May 2014
    Kings of Leon. Aarrrgghhh! Utter crap. I hate the voice of the lead singer. A good example is 'On Call'. Sounds like he's lost the plot.
    Jake Bugg. Makes me angry.
  • I'm gonna defend the free form jazz. If you have to listen to jazz, at least let it be weird and difficult, otherwise, why bother if it's just going to sound like background muzzak for a coffee shop? Four geeks playing four melodies at once? Sounds cool to me. ;-)
  • Michael Jackson - just can't stand the sort of weird gulping effect.
    Pulp/Jarvis Cocker - how did that geezer carve a career out of one decent song?
    U2 - just utter dross -love Bill Bailey's piss-take on "The Edge" https://youtube.com/watch?v=H8dZwXnMrRU.
    Stevie Wonder - music to sleep to.
    The Libertines/Pete Doherty - the definition of talentless.

(Not in my list but I'm surprised no one has come up with Simply Red or M People!)

Just don't get the abuse for the perfectly acceptable, semi-decent Coldplay though - are people just trying to get "likes" from Noel Fielding or is it really their own point of view?
  • cafcfan said:

Michael Jackson - just can't stand the sort of weird gulping effect.
    U2 - just utter dross -love Bill Bailey's piss-take on "The Edge" https://youtube.com/watch?v=H8dZwXnMrRU.

(Not in my list but I'm surprised no one has come up with Simply Red or M People!)

Just don't get the abuse for the perfectly acceptable, semi-decent Coldplay though - are people just trying to get "likes" from Noel Fielding or is it really their own point of view?

Coldplay utterly dreadful whining that goes on forever, they just dont know when to shut up. But then, if I was constantly fed spinach and seaweed smoothies, I'd whine a lot more too.
  • Stevie Wonder?!? Seriously? Oh well, it takes all sorts I guess............
  • IdleHans said:

cafcfan said:

Coldplay utterly dreadful whining that goes on forever, they just dont know when to shut up. But then, if I was constantly fed spinach and seaweed smoothies, I'd whine a lot more too.
    I'd be too busy shitting through the eye of a needle to whine.
  • cafcfan said:

Coldplay are absolutely horrible, similar to Adele in the sense every song seems to be about depression or horribleness. Your life can't be that bad, surely.

And I'm sorry mate but MJ, the libertines, pulp and Stevie wonder are all amazing!
  • 1. Abba 2.Abba 3. Abba 4. Abba 5.Abba
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:

what, Coldplay are this generation's U2, music for people who don't like music.

Coldplays first couple of albums were good, and then they disappeared up their own backsides and made terrible records.
  • I understand perfectly that people are not Coldplay fans. But are some of you really saying that you find their success more perplexing than, say: Take Life, Westthat, countless other syrupy so-called boy bands or Kate Bush, Björk, The Plastic Ono band, Yoko Ono by herself, Celine Dion, Barry Manilow, Des O'Connor, Justin Bieber, Justin Bieber, Justin Bieber.... Jeez this post is beginning to sound like a cover of that Mylo song now!
  • Stevie Wonder?!? Seriously? Oh well, it takes all sorts I guess............

Yes, it's just the thought of being stuck in a lift for 60 mins with "I just called to say I love you" on a loop in the background. I would need the men in white coats to come and get me.

• cafcfan said:

Coldplay are absolutely horrible, similar to Adele in the sense every song seems to be about depression or horribleness. Your life can't be that bad, surely.

And I'm sorry mate but MJ, the libertines, pulp and Stevie wonder are all amazing!
    You were doing so well in that response until you mentioned Jackson... ;-)

• cafcfan said:

You were doing so well in that response until you mentioned Jackson... ;-)
    Put on Rock With You and try not to tap your feet. It's impossible! One of few 'pop' stars who I actually like
  • Children singing (unless it's your own)
  • I'm pleased to see that everyone likes all the classical stuff.
  • Solidgone said:

I'm pleased to see that everyone likes all the classical stuff.

Classical is fine - well, much of it
  • cafcfan said:

Stevie Wonder?!? Seriously? Oh well, it takes all sorts I guess............

Yes, it's just the thought of being stuck in a lift for 60 mins with "I just called to say I love you" on a loop in the background. I would need the men in white coats to come and get me.
    Wouldn't judge Stevie Wonder on that schmaltz. You need to go to his early to mid 70's stuff like Music Of My Mind, Talking Book, Fulfillingness First Finale, Innervisions and Songs In The Key Of Life for something more representative.

• Beyoncé - I cannot stand her. No doubt another album is soon set to come out with a number one track involving finger clicking and asking all the single ladies to be confident and r.e.s.p.e.c.t themselves while she does her tour in one of Jay Z's private jets.

One Direction - Obviously screaming girls like it but a mate of mine was trying to argue how it's "catchy" and easy to like.....no it isn't, it is rubbish and since then anything he has suggested musically has been passed off as kak.

@cafcfan‌ couldn't put this any better 'The Libertines/Pete Doherty - the definition of talentless.' he is a complete clown shoe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fiiiiiish said:

Beyoncé - I cannot stand her. No doubt another album is soon set to come out with a number one track involving finger clicking and asking all the single ladies to be confident and r.e.s.p.e.c.t themselves while she does her tour in one of Jay Z's private jets.

One Direction - Obviously screaming girls like it but a mate of mine was trying to argue how it's "catchy" and easy to like.....no it isn't, it is rubbish and since then anything he has suggested musically has been passed off as kak.

@cafcfan‌ couldn't put this any better 'The Libertines/Pete Doherty - the definition of talentless.' he is a complete clown shoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGxe83lXgJg
  • @kentaddick‌ cheers mate, that was brilliant.

The best thing she has ever had her name mentioned in to be fair.