Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top 5 - Popular Bands/Artists/genres you just don't get

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Actually, I'll swap hip-hop for Radiohead. Whiny twerp with a gammy eye crying. The go-to band for people who pretend they know about about music. the Manchester United of bands
  • Options

I could never understand how The Streets were a real band. It was just a boring Brummie reading out his shopping list. Their songs sounded like one of The Apprentice teams being tasked with writing a rap song in 15 minutes but instead of getting a bollocking from Nick Hewer at the end they made loads of money. Ridiculous.

Red hot chili peppers and now the streets. Why do I force myself to come into this thread in my CL compulsion to read everything?!

The streets first two albums are brilliant. Everything after that was pretty meh, but saying the streets are rap is like saying the Beatles are death metal because they play guitar and drums.
    It's about bands/genres people don't like, no one else is trying to defend the music they like KA - take a chill pill... LOL
  • Options
    Yeah but the thread title is "music genres you don't get." So presumably you'd appreciate someone explaining things so you 'get' something you didn't before.

For example, the Streets are brilliant and Mike Skinner is a rapper and a great one. The English accent isn't suited to rapping like the American accent is. So as an English rapper you can choose to sound like Dizzee Rascal or just rap in your normal voice.
  • Options

I could never understand how The Streets were a real band. It was just a boring Brummie reading out his shopping list. Their songs sounded like one of The Apprentice teams being tasked with writing a rap song in 15 minutes but instead of getting a bollocking from Nick Hewer at the end they made loads of money. Ridiculous.

Red hot chili peppers and now the streets. Why do I force myself to come into this thread in my CL compulsion to read everything?!

The streets first two albums are brilliant. Everything after that was pretty meh, but saying the streets are rap is like saying the Beatles are death metal because they play guitar and drums.
    It's about bands/genres people don't like, no one else is trying to defend the music they like KA - take a chill pill... LOL
    Yeah totes, I get that it's just my compulsion to have everything "read" when i come on here and then see people poo pooing my fave bands, it then creates a viscious cycle :)
    JaShea99 said:

Yeah but the thread title is "music genres you don't get." So presumably you'd appreciate someone explaining things so you 'get' something you didn't before.

For example, the Streets are brilliant and Mike Skinner is a rapper and a great one. The English accent isn't suited to rapping like the American accent is. So as an English rapper you can choose to sound like Dizzee Rascal or just rap in your normal voice.

Mike Skinner has heavily influenced british pop music, for better or for worse. People aren't afraid, or rather, labels aren't afraid to sign artists that use their accent anymore. Jamie T, Lily Allen, you could go so far as to say some one like Jake Bugg and the Arctic Monkeys are heavily influenced, or at least they owe some success to Mike.
  • Options

Elbow - mostly because I'm annoyed that everyone likes 'One Day Like This' so much. I find it boring.

Elbow is my favourite band. Shame most people only know that one song. Their early albums are great, especially the debut 'Asleep in the Back'. They struggled for nearly ten years before finally getting the recognition they deserved with the Seldom Seen Kid album. Unlike some of the bands mentioned on this thread, Elbow's five members are very humble and down-to-earth people. Hopefully when you get around to listening to a couple of other Elbow tracks, you'll find something that interests you.
  • Options

Mike Skinner has heavily influenced british pop music, for better or for worse. People aren't afraid, or rather, labels aren't afraid to sign artists that use their accent anymore. Jamie T, Lily Allen, you could go so far as to say some one like Jake Bugg and the Arctic Monkeys are heavily influenced, or at least they owe some success to Mike.

To be honest, I always consider The Streets as a rap band. And I quite like their music. For years I had absolutely no interest in rap music but when I heard 'Original Pirate Material', I totally loved it.
  • Options
    1) RnB - There's plenty of music out there I don't enjoy but within every genre I can normally pick something I enjoy. But I hate RnB. I find it soulless, and lacking in any emotion or intelligence. I once ran a club night called "Destroy All RnB". The venue were attempting to get rid of the local chavs and bring in new clientel. The problem was our first night was rammed with locals thinking it was an RnB night.

2) U2 - I cannot understand how a band with so few decent songs has become so succesful. Plus Bono is a twat. I remember there was a band called "Bono must die" I saw them play a few gigs. They were actually worse that U2.

3) Bands that don't stick to their winning formula/Sell out . I loved RHCP/Kings of Leon/Black Eyed Peas/Razorlight early stuff. Later stuff is insipid stadium filling dirge. Music by numbers to appease the masses.

4) Gabba or even worse Industrial Gabba. Anything where the beats are so fast that you cant distinguish the gaps ends up just being a noise. Its horrendous. I'd use it if I was torturing someone.

5) Heavy/Thrash Metal. Anything where some bloke shouts or screams really loudly and aggresively over heavy guitars.

• Options
    U2
    Pink Floyd
    Mumford & Sons
    The Smiths
    anything defined as 'Garage'
  • Options
    Mumford & Sons - boring, smug, wanky; using banjos doesn't make you any less unoriginal.
    Bastille - monotone, generic bollocks made for people who have no clue about music.
    Michael Buble - whining, insipid nonsense fit only for great-grandmas.
    Bruno Mars - awful, simple, nasal sounding tosser whose 'songs' all sound the same.
    'EDM' - a stupid name for cheesy synth crap made for idiots who think it's 'cool'.
  • Options
    Got to agree with Frank Sinatra, others get the likes of him and Buble but not me.

All of that fast music with unintelligible lyrics produced on turntables and computers that sounds like you're hitting yourself over the bonce with a tin tray for ages and ages and then there is a slight change which is supposed to be the 'sweet spot'. Tedious crap which does nothing for me.

Any music that comes across as formulaic and dishonest, however good the production. Something crafted with a bit of sincerity of whatever genre is much better.

Punk in a general and wider sense, I don't need some lecture from some angry person telling me how wrong everything is as if I can't work it out for myself.

Let 'Em Come and Glad All Over.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

Inspired by the fav bands thread.
    Your top 5 popular bands/artists/genres you don't get. Please include reasons.
    Remember its totally subjective, so no ones opinion is right (except mine...ahem) ;o)

Smiths - Morrisey sings flatter than a witches tit and is a tool.
    Queen - Musically great but I just can't stand looking at Fred and when I listen to Queen thats all I can see.
    Any rap artist - that has to sample someone else's hook line to try and sell their poetry, its a bit like an artist copying the Mona Lisa, popping a hat on her and passing it off as their own work.
    Freeform Jazz - a bunch of people playing different tunes at the same time.
    Pink Floyd - It just drones on and on and on....not for me.

Your top three plus Oasis/Blur and Van Morrison.
  • Options
    James Last
  • Options
    Coldplay, The Police and anything that is termed as modern Jazz
  • Options
    ^^^ Another hands up for The Police. Embarrassing cod white reggae.
  • Options
    Lionel Ritchie, hearing any of his songs makes me feel psychologically and physically ill.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

- Monotone, tinny, studenty indie music. Not Oasis, Blur - but the more modern sound which all sounds exactly the same. Maximo Park/Bloc Party shite.

- Drum and Bass. Bores the living daylights out of me. Once you have heard the first 20 seconds of the track it is pretty much all you need.

- Mumford & Sons/any kind of 2012 onwards folk tripe from young artists who seem to have come along with the trend of young people with beards.

Greenie - what is there not to like about Freddie Mercury?!

At "Glasto" last year the main stage area after the Nick Cave and the Bad seeds set cleared quicker than shit off a shovel before Mumford and sons headlined on the last night . Annoying non utilitarian knob head public school boys with beards ,banjos and boring songs. 20 minutes walk away however was Bobby Womack with more talent in his smallest toe than they have in their entire band .

Lady Gaga- talentless and anatomically repulsive whatever get up she is in.

The Prodigy- awful din merchants

Biffy Clyro - totally overrated

Echo and the Bunnymen post 2010- Ian McCulloch's voice has gone completely and they should give up .

• Options
    edited May 2014
    haha mumford and sons, literally all their songs sound the same. A musician friend told me this was because they play everything in the same key.
  • Options
    Guitar bands with whiny lead singers in skinny jeans from 2000 on.
  • Options
    Xfactor and all its follow-ups. Genuinely not enjoyed a single song released under the tv show format.

Nearly all Country and Western.

Any Artist using overloads of voicebox and effects like bruno Mars & Glee

Anything usually on Now This is Shite 40. Total wack pop tunes mixed with terrible versions of any good dance tracks that might be on there.

Land of St George by Citizen Steve
    Official world cup song....mmmmm.
  • Options
    I forgot to add the Eagles and REM (whiney crappy people)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1. Country music
    2. Oasis - truly obnoxious in Bangkok
    3. Rolling Stones except for a couple of quieter tracks
    4. Seriously heavy metal bands
    5. Smiley male solo artists
  • Options
    Morrissey/Smiths - have never understood the love people have for him/them
    Stone Roses - as above
    Libertines/Pete Doherty - He is a tortured soul blah, blah. Junkie Crap
    Arctic Monkeys - not so much their music, more the fact they are utter bellends
    Miley Cyrus - as sexy and talented as cold sick
    Will.I.Am - incredibly talented at making truly awful songs

Rant over....
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Oasis - Never understood why so popular when their music is so chuff.
    Morrissey - Yaawwwnnnn......
    Jazz - I can get along with 98% of any genre of music, and I mean ANY genre except this. I would rather listen to S Club 7 than this pretentious twaddle.
    Dubstep - Drum and Bass without the good bits.
    Dave Clark 5 - Glad all over. Used to like this. Not any more.............
  • Options

Oasis
    Coldplay
    U2
    The Killers

Dubstep/Drum and Bass - i keep getting told its great when "you're buzzing" but to be honest if you need drugs to enjoy something, it's shit.

Personally think you couldn't be more wrong

I don't like Dubstep/Drum and Bass, because well i just don't like it, but real Trance (I'm not talking scooter or guetta) and House is very atmospheric, plenty of rifts, melodies and drops. I listen to it on the train and in the car. Now, when i went raving back in the day, id take E, MDMA and the nature of the drug enhanced the music and lighting. It almost went hand in hand to take the surroundings to the next level. People didn't take party drugs to take their attention away from the 'shit' music. Anyway, this is probably for another thread.
    Despite our differences regarding RD, we have a similar outlook in other areas. Wanna get bonked and settle our differences?
  • Options
    Those fucking cover versions they do of classic songs for adverts!!!! Some girl who sounds about 12 doing a slow acoustic cover of just can't get enough over a sainsburys ad. Makes me want to shoot myself.
  • Options
    I can't take a whole album in one go, but I think Mike Skinner has real talent, and its the lyrics that I really like. "I see Alice in Wonderland, I see malice in Sunderland..." And "Fit but you know it" creases me up every time.

Is this wrong, at my age?
  • Options

I can't take a whole album in one go, but I think Mike Skinner has real talent, and its the lyrics that I really like. "I see Alice in Wonderland, I see malice in Sunderland..." And "Fit but you know it" creases me up every time.

Nothing wrong with that. Along with Alex Turner, he's one of the best social commentators of a generation
  • Options

Nothing wrong with that. Along with Alex Turner, he's one of the best social commentators of a generation
    Which tracks would you recommend from later albums? (sorry for temporary thread derailment)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Esteemed artists and writers whose huge appeal I don't understand:

Tracey Emin - a hopeless draughtswoman spouting fatuous egocentric slogans
    Georgia O'Keeffe - talismanic American painter who strikes me as trite
    Frida Kahlo - talismanic Mexican painter who strikes me as trite - and precious
    Eudora Welty - grand, revered writer of the American South whose novels are utterly facile
    Banksy - it's just graffiti

• Options
    Boy Bands
    Most Rap
    Most Dubstep
    Musicals
    Country