Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top 5 - Popular Bands/Artists/genres you just don't get

Comments

• Options
    1. Jazz
    2. Jazz
    3. Jazz
    4. Jazz
    5. Jazz
  • Options
    Rhythm and blues ( the proper one) - plodding dull shite
    Dubstep
    Progrock
    Elvis and the Beatles - overrated
    Oasis
  • Options
    Queen
    Elvis
    The Killers
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    Bob Marley
  • Options
    Elton John. Hate everything about him and his music
    Coldplay. Absolute garbage
    Oasis.
    Prince
    Joe Tex
  • Options
    Oasis, The Smiths, U2 and the Stone Roses. In the words of Public Enemy - 'Don't Believe The Hype'. Struggling for a fifth because musically pretty much anything goes for me if I feel the connection. If forced then I'd have to plump for Diana Ross. Really think she was the lead in the Supremes because she was pleasuring Berry Gordy. So many better female soul vocalists on Motown at that time.

Noted that free form jazz has taken a bit of bashing. Not a fan but it was part of the soundtrack to one of the best nights I've ever had. But what happened in Amsterdam, stays in Amsterdam ;-)
  • Options
    Rap and those pricks jedward go well together wot a pile of shite.
  • Options
    Not sure I should really contribute to this thread; I've been doing quite well on the 'likes' front recently
  • Options
    Another here for Michael Jackson. Leaves me stone cold despite the talent. Like watching football as a neutral.
    Coldplay, of course.
    Madness. Just a little kids' group
    Another vote for Bowie.
    And Queen. Oh god, Queen.
  • Options
    I *will* say that you're all wrong about (quite a lot of) rap, and I advise caution in dismissing what is clearly coming from a different place to what one is accustomed to.

I'll also happily curmudgeon against the following popular acts:

New Order
    REM
    Led Zeppelin
    Talking Heads
    LCD Soundsystem

I can't stand any of them; don't hear what's so special about their music at all (yes, I have cloth ears, yadda yadda). I've only picked bands from the indie/alternative/rock canon, because it's probably the area I know best and would be expected to like music from.

There is no genre I will dismiss wholesale except for Commercial Punk, a brutal contradiction in terms, as pioneered by the flagrant cashspinning pile of tune-starved boyband hypocrisy that is the Sex Pistols
  • Options
    Bruce Springsteen - It all sounds so ordinary and unoriginal to me
    Prince - Some catchy poppy tunes - no more than Chinn & Chapman
    Emerson Lake and Palmer - What new form of torture is this?
    The Eagles - One solid gold, copper bottomed masterpiece and considerable mediocrity
    Cliff Richard - Why?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really like Ed Sheeran. His album + was, IMO, blinding

Personally can't stand Thrash metal, Mumford and Bowie
  • Options
    Led Zeppelin: screechy vocals...non songs
    Genesis: yawn fest
    Rush: as above
    U2: pompous. Thought they were interesting around Zooropa period when all their fan hated them
    Rolling Stones. No thanks. Should be long retired.
  • Options
    I have to go with Bob Dylan
    The Smiths (although Johnny Marr is a good guitar player)
    Freeform Jazz agree it's a bunch of posers all playing something different and usually off key
    All that cool Britannia shit such as Oasis and Blur pretty mediocre at best and the Gallagher brothers are a pair of tools
    Maria Carey/Whitney Houston all that f*****g yodelling and over singing every note makes me pyschotic
  • Options
    Coldplay
    Radiohead
    Paulie's playlist
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Inspired by the fav bands thread.
    Your top 5 popular bands/artists/genres you don't get. Please include reasons.
    Remember its totally subjective, so no ones opinion is right (except mine...ahem) ;

Any rap artist - that has to sample someone else's hook line to try and sell their poetry, its a bit like an artist copying the Mona Lisa, popping a hat on her and passing it off as their own work.

Hip hop was pretty much built on sampling; kids messing around with their parents' soul music vinyls in the 70s/80s scratching, sampling and then rapping over them.

The originality and meaning generally came from the verses, with the beats and hooks less important (historically).

Hooks are quite often a selling tool or just a break from the rapping, and since pretty much everything has been said in music and will sound cliched anyway, it doesn't really matter that the chorus is not original.

Also, personally I don't mind hearing a few lines taken from elsewhere and repeated, as long as it's only a small fraction of the song, as opposed to a generic pop song with about 12 lines repeated over and over. In other words, in hip hop the substance is in the verses, so I can live with sampling/repetition/a lack of originality on the hook.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Overrated horrifically cheesy horrible american crap. Reminds me of over-privileged skaters/snowboarders with dreads.

Their early stuff couldn't be further from being cheesey. Also, as for overpriveledged, the singer was a son of a drug dealer/pimp, the bass player was abused by his stepfather and their original guitarist died of a heroin overdose.

then again i walked into a thread saying stuff you hate... so i guess its my fault :<
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Greenie said:

Inspired by the fav bands thread.
    Your top 5 popular bands/artists/genres you don't get. Please include reasons.
    Remember its totally subjective, so no ones opinion is right (except mine...ahem) ;

Any rap artist - that has to sample someone else's hook line to try and sell their poetry, its a bit like an artist copying the Mona Lisa, popping a hat on her and passing it off as their own work.

Hip hop was pretty much built on sampling; kids messing around with their parents' soul music vinyls in the 70s/80s scratching, sampling and then rapping over them.

The originality and meaning generally came from the verses, with the beats and hooks less important (historically).

Hooks are quite often a selling tool or just a break from the rapping, and since pretty much everything has been said in music and will sound cliched anyway, it doesn't really matter that the chorus is not original.

Also, personally I don't mind hearing a few lines taken from elsewhere and repeated, as long as it's only a small fraction of the song, as opposed to a generic pop song with about 12 lines repeated over and over. In other words, in hip hop the substance is in the verses, so I can live with sampling/repetition/a lack of originality on the hook.
    mainstream hip hop in the 90s was the nuts, then in the noughties all the good stuff got forced underground. It's a shame Kanye West went all crazy with fame, College Dropout was the last real mainstream hit that was "proper" hip hop. If J Dilla would've lived a few more years modern day hip hop would've been a lot different and not that dubstep shite but a lot more jazzy and more soul.
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more. The College Dropout is one of the best debut hip hop albums ever. It's amazing what he's become now. Agree about Dilla too.

The worst thing is the new generation hearing people like WILLiam and Pitbull and thinking that that's hip hop. Then parents and people around them thinking the same, which fuels a lot of ignorance and misconceptions about the genre.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Couldn't agree more. The College Dropout is one of the best debut hip hop albums ever. It's amazing what he's become now. Agree about Dilla too.

The worst thing is the new generation hearing people like WILLiam and Pitbull and thinking that that's hip hop. Then parents and people around them thinking the same, which fuels a lot of ignorance and misconceptions about the genre.

Happens with all genres, it's not unique.

Shakin' Stevens and Showaddywaddy anyone...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Any of those 'breathy' bird singers in the Ellie Goulding mode. Sing properly FFS!
  • Options
    Pop/Dance. Pink, Rhianna, Shakira nothing music
    U2. Why do they bother? Their bank accounts

Hip hop. Not my music.

Screechy female vocal Flamenco. My mother in law can do one too.

Sixties pop. Beatles, etc.

• Options
    edited May 2014

Oasis
    Coldplay
    U2
    The Killers

Dubstep/Drum and Bass - i keep getting told its great when "you're buzzing" but to be honest if you need drugs to enjoy something, it's shit.

Personally think you couldn't be more wrong

I don't like Dubstep/Drum and Bass, because well i just don't like it, but real Trance (I'm not talking scooter or guetta) and House is very atmospheric, plenty of rifts, melodies and drops. I listen to it on the train and in the car. Now, when i went raving back in the day, id take E, MDMA and the nature of the drug enhanced the music and lighting. It almost went hand in hand to take the surroundings to the next level. People didn't take party drugs to take their attention away from the 'shit' music. Anyway, this is probably for another thread.
  • Options
    U2 - nothing special musically but how can anyone see past that fanny Bono?
    Eric Clapton - Hendrix should have retired him in the 60s. Dull.
    David Byrne - Can't sing, dances like a twat
    Ed Sheeren - two bob. the sort of person who plays a guitar in a youth hostel common room and annoys everyone whilst doing it.
    Hip-Hop - does nothing for me
  • Options
    In terms of things I don't like:
    Musicals
    Drum n bass and a lot of EDM
    Loads of metal, heavy rock, quite a bit of jazz..

If I take in things I don't get, as in understand, I can understand the attraction of all the above, it just doesn't work for me.

Things I really don't understand the attraction of:
    Crass (loads of mates when I was a teenager loved them - they sold enough records that if the charts had recognised them they'd have been no.1 or something, but I really didn't get it. Still don't. And it's not the politics putting me off.)
    free jazz. Was in a band once with a guitarist whose dad was a top free jazz player. He was doing a concert at Bethnal Green library so me and the drummer went along. We could hear it from outside and it cost £2 to get in. We left.)

• Options
    One Direction
    Coldplay
    The Smiths
    The Doors
    Prince
  • Options
    5. Oasis - they do have half a dozen good singalonga songs, but never understood how a pub band could be so popular
    4. Led Zeppelin - don't get it at all
    3. Mumford & Sons - I like indie-folk stuff so would expect to like them but their whining sounds are just annoying
    2. Coldplay - fail to understand why anyone would like 99% of their bedwetting dirge, appalling
    1. Ph*l C*ll*ns ... aaargh, I have an instantaneous response that will see me fly across the room to smash the radio off-button, hideous, I shudder at the thought of his offerings. The clear #1.

Honourary mentions for Pink Floyd, Prince, Michael Jackson, Take That & boy-bands. And Bowie for Berlin and since.
  • Options

I could never understand how The Streets were a real band. It was just a boring Brummie reading out his shopping list. Their songs sounded like one of The Apprentice teams being tasked with writing a rap song in 15 minutes but instead of getting a bollocking from Nick Hewer at the end they made loads of money. Ridiculous.

Red hot chili peppers and now the streets. Why do I force myself to come into this thread in my CL compulsion to read everything?!

The streets first two albums are brilliant. Everything after that was pretty meh, but saying the streets are rap is like saying the Beatles are death metal because they play guitar and drums.
  • Options
    Original Pirate Material was a great album