Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nick Pope

13»

Comments

• dont see how it would affect us, we put the clause in there to stop him playing against us, would rather he was on loan playing against teams in our division than lower down and not learning anything

I know this post was a while back and irrellevant now, but I'm pretty sure you'll find that loaned players not playing against their own club is a league ruling, rather than a clause.

Just sayin..................
    Paulie got a bit of a pasting for this but Mourinho is a big fan of loaning fringe players to fellow Prem clubs. He likes it because they can't hurt his team but they can hurt his rivals. Think of how Lukaku took points off Arsenal and Liverpool etc last season. If we were pushing for Play-offs it wouldn't be a terrible idea
    The difference is, Chelsea know that they're going to be competing for the title, we can't guarantee that we'll be competing for the playoffs and also have no idea which teams we will and won't be competing with or at which end of the table we'll be at. Not a bad idea in principle though.
    my main point was, you ca't loan him out to a league 2 club then expect him to be ready for Championship football, there needs to be a progression Harry Kane is a great example,
    He went out to League 1
    then the Championship
    then Tottenham used him for Europa League games
    now he is the Premier League's joint top scorer this season and has scored for England

now I know someone will throw Joe Gomez at me, but that is called natural talent with someone like Pope who is 22 needs that progression, so would love him to go to a league 1 club until Jan then if he done well go to a lower Championship club for the rest of the season and maybe be ready for the season after here
  • dont see how it would affect us, we put the clause in there to stop him playing against us, would rather he was on loan playing against teams in our division than lower down and not learning anything

I know this post was a while back and irrellevant now, but I'm pretty sure you'll find that loaned players not playing against their own club is a league ruling, rather than a clause.

Just sayin..................
    Paulie got a bit of a pasting for this but Mourinho is a big fan of loaning fringe players to fellow Prem clubs. He likes it because they can't hurt his team but they can hurt his rivals. Think of how Lukaku took points off Arsenal and Liverpool etc last season. If we were pushing for Play-offs it wouldn't be a terrible idea
    The difference is, Chelsea know that they're going to be competing for the title, we can't guarantee that we'll be competing for the playoffs and also have no idea which teams we will and won't be competing with or at which end of the table we'll be at. Not a bad idea in principle though.
    Agree with @The Red Robin
    This is exactly why its a tough decision imo.
    Imagine loaning him out and the clean sheets he gets are the difference to his loan team finishing 6th and we end up 7th.
    In that way, it can hurt us.
  • I think Ben Roberts is very much in control of this. He was the one that identified Henderson and his opinion was obviously listened too. I'm fairly sure he's keeping very close tabs on Pope and will know what to recommend to the club and when.

In many respects this is what "the network" is all about. We have a glut of potential in GK's at the moment and in a couple of seasons we might want to shift them within the RD world to help out other clubs and develop the talent without having to get rid and possibly miss out.
  • Keeper is a different position. Do you save better quality strikes a higher division? Doubtful. Criteria like distribution and organisation may come to the fore but plenty of Prem keepers lacking there. Not Nick.
  • Keeper is a different position. Do you save better quality strikes a higher division? Doubtful.

What ? Of course you have to save better quality strikes in a higher division.
    Presumably you feel League 2 players strike the ball as well as Gareth Bale, Harry Kane, Charlie Austin et al.
    Bizarre.