Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nick Pope

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/11219977.York_City_boss_Nigel_Worthington_in_fond_farewell_to_loan_keeper_Nick_Pope/

Good article on Pope's time at York City. We should all be encouraged by the comments left by their fans.

Perhaps Hamer going to Leicester won't be the worse thing in the world?

Comments

• http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/11219977.York_City_boss_Nigel_Worthington_in_fond_farewell_to_loan_keeper_Nick_Pope/

Good article on Pope's time at York City. We should all be encouraged by the comments left by their fans.

Perhaps Hamer going to Leicester won't be the worse thing in the world?

I just read those , wow them comments are very impressive.

• 8:04am Sat 17 May 14
    23rdApril1966 says...

Outstanding keeper who made an immense difference to our season. I have nicknamed him the 'Velcro' man as everything sticks.......
    Really look forward to seeing how his career develops. Despite the fickle nature of the football industry surely he has a long and prosperous career ahead of him at levels to which YCFC can sadly only dream about.
    Don't think that a single City fan would begrudge him a 10 year contract here and now. One of the best keepers at City in many a long year.
    Score: 28
    Dislike
    Quote »
    Report this post »
    8:18am Sat 17 May 14
    duffy says...

23rdApril1966 wrote:
    Outstanding keeper who made an immense difference to our season. I have nicknamed him the 'Velcro' man as everything sticks.......
    Really look forward to seeing how his career develops. Despite the fickle nature of the football industry surely he has a long and prosperous career ahead of him at levels to which YCFC can sadly only dream about.
    Don't think that a single City fan would begrudge him a 10 year contract here and now. One of the best keepers at City in many a long year.
    He will go on to play in the Premiership, best keeper since Kiely.
    Score: 21
    Dislike
    Quote »
    Report this post »
    8:28am Sat 17 May 14
    bill bailey says...

23rdApril1966 wrote:
    Totally agree Sir,, Now that Charltons first choice keeper is on his way to
    Leicester it looks certain NICK POPE will be No 1. and good luck to him as all on here have said he has been outstanding it is good to think this club has been part of his development and im sure he will spread the word that with NW
    and all connected with this club every player is valued , What a season we have had, December fighting for our place in the league May fighting to get promoted , Well done to the Board , the Manager and his staff, and to all the loyal supporters , its been a memorable season ROLL ON THE NEXT ONE
    Score: 21
    Dislike
    Quote »
    Report this post »
    8:36am Sat 17 May 14
    yorkandproud says...

Nicky Pope pope pope. Commands his box brilliantly. Thanks Nick, I have really enjoyed watching you play between the sticks for us. Good luck for the future.
    Score: 18
    Dislike
    Quote »
    Report this post »
    9:15am Sat 17 May 14
    Peppa07 says...

Agreed. Nicky Pope pope pope. Immense and unparallelled contribution to our great season. Wonderful consistent performances, best young keeper I've seen in years. Reminds me of the young Peter Shilton at Leicester. Confident and in control, unflappable and brave. Even yesterday he kept us in the match at least twice, and saved a one-on-one near the end. The amazing thing is, becaue it was him, I thought he would. Great prospect, so good luck Nicky Pope! We'll be watching you!
    Score: 15
    Dislike
    Quote »
    Report this post »
    9:45am Sat 17 May 14
    born&breed says...

Plain and Simple - Thank you Nick Pope - great professional you will go a long way in the game. Would love to see you in a City shirt next year, all the very best and once again a Big Thank You.
    Score: 10
    Dislike
    Quote »
    Report this post »

10:10am Sat 17 May 14
    RooBeck says...

All City fans will be very sorry to see Nick Pope return to his parent club but will be immensely proud and appreciative of his performances for us, on which our outstanding run since February was built - last-night he again looked a class act. Thank-you very much Nick, from your northern club and fans!! COYR.
    Score: 9
    Dislike
    Quote »
    Report this post »
    10:20am Sat 17 May 14
    Boyer for England says...

Amazing save last night. One of the best I have seen anywhere this season. All the best to Nick.
    Dislike
    Quote »
    Report this post »
    10:28am Sat 17 May 14
    joejamestom says...

Thanks for your efforts hope you remember your time with us fondly, good shot stopper & great plucking crosses out of the air just a bit of work on distribution & a top goalkeeper. Well done & thank you.
    Score: 7
    Dislike
    Quote »
    Report this post »
    10:30am Sat 17 May 14
    123york says...

Fantastic keeper , we will miss you at york city. good luck with your career !
    Dislike
    Quote »
    Report this post »
    10:59am Sat 17 May 14
    rupertbehr says...

Cheers "Popey" Glad you enjoyed it, we certainly
    enjoyed having you ..... pity we didn't make it.
    But you played your part brilliantly
    ...... Plus the added bonus of keeping
    "Ingy" on his toes :) Ha Ha. ........
    Good luck for the future son.
    Score: 5
    Dislike
    Quote »
    Report this post »
    11:10am Sat 17 May 14
    dadster says...

Quite simply the best keeper I've seen at City over many years supporting the club. I have no doubt he will have a great career and will play at the top level. He will be a virtually impossible player to replace.
  • edited May 2014
    Just some of the comments for people that might not get on the link at work ect . I'll definatly be happy for him to be number 1 Next season.
  • Those fans comments are simply unbelievable. Let's hope we get a chance to have a close look ourselves next season.
  • I'd be quite happy to let him start the season and see how he gets on.

If The Championship seems a bit too demanding, then we could always get in a decent loan keeper.
  • Lets hope he develops into a championship (plus) level goalie.
    Lot of players look great at league two but doesnt translate up the leagues.
  • Velcro does seem apt from the highlights I've seen. No punches and flashy crap - just right positioning and safe hads
  • MrOneLung said:

Lets hope he develops into a championship (plus) level goalie.
    Lot of players look great at league two but doesnt translate up the leagues.

I think GK is the one position where performing well at lower levels can easily translate further up the leagues. Having the basic skills is the same I think the big difference is in things like consistency, distribution and presence. Seems Pope has those basic skills plus presence and consistency. Deano had the same but never mastered disribution. It was the one chink in his armour.

I have high hopes.

Deano also rarely came for crosses instead he relied on his brilliant shot stopping. It's not necessarily a bad thing because the defenders would always know they had to attack the ball as Deano would be on his line. Sounds similar to Pope in that he always comes for crosses so the defenders know to cover the goal if need be

• Thanks Kiwi; very encouraging comments. Let's trust who ever is in charge to judge when he's ready for the added pressure, as well as the higher standard. Hopefully just a matter of time though as many of those plaudits came from experienced followers of York who also saw the great Deano!
  • Sponsored links:

• Didnt someone post rumours of Alnwick coming back? Going from Hamer and Thuram to Pope and Alnwick would be a decent upgrade IMO.
  • 16 clean sheets this season, wasn't it? I'm amazed at the quality our academy is turning out at the moment.
  • Someone says he needs to work on his distribution. Second rate keeper.
  • Chunes said:

16 clean sheets this season, wasn't it? I'm amazed at the quality our academy is turning out at the moment.

Not really our Academy as we bought him from Bury Town when he was 19 or 20.
  • Chunes said:

16 clean sheets this season, wasn't it? I'm amazed at the quality our academy is turning out at the moment.

Splitting hairs ;0)

• Chunes said:

Picky!!! Next you'll be saying Church wasn't one of ours:-)

I was thinking about the step up from League 2 to the Championship, its a much smaller step up than from development squad to Championship and in that context, he should really be given an opportunity to perform next season at first team level. The problem of course will be getting a good experienced number two willing to accept 2nd berth to a rookie.

• We're quick to moan if West Ham claim Defoe : - )
  • We're quick to moan if West Ham claim Defoe : - )

Well thats what the media say so it must be true!!
  • I don't think he is Ready yet can not compare league 2 to championship
  • I reckon he's ready, for a keeper it isn't as big a jump as some make out.
  • Sponsored links:

• He played most of the last game of season before last for us and looked very assured, I thought.
  • Graham Tutt was a first team regular when only 19. If he's good enough then he starts
  • edited May 2014

I don't think he is Ready yet can not compare league 2 to championship

Joe Hart. Played 36 times in the premier league side, Birmingham in 09/10 when was 22. Premier league keeper of the season.

Started his career at Shrewsbury in the conference as a 17 year old and then had a full season in League 2 when he was 19 and was named league 2 keeper of the season.
  • shirty5 said:

I don't think he is Ready yet can not compare league 2 to championship

Joe Hart. Played 36 times in the premier league side, Birmingham in 09/10 when was 22. Premier league keeper of the season.

Started his career at Shrewsbury in the conference as a 17 year old and then had a full season in League 2 when he was 19 and was named league 2 keeper of the season.
    05/06 League 2 goalkeeper of the season
    09/10 Premier League goalkeeper of the season

Four season gap between those two, not a single summer.

I'm all for giving Pope his chance but we need an experienced No.2 in case it doesn't come off.
    But in between he wasn't shit was he.

• Well no but the season following the League Two season, he had a season farmed out on loan in League One.
  • Just seen the save v Fleetwood on our OS. Quality keeping.
  • Think this means Pope will be staying, York wanted Pope back but guess they have found out we aint gonna loan him again

Tranmere Rovers FC
    @tranmererovers
    Jason Mooney has agreed to join York City for 2014-15. We wish him all the best with his new club.
  • Think this means Pope will be staying, York wanted Pope back but guess they have found out we aint gonna loan him again

Tranmere Rovers FC
    @tranmererovers
    Jason Mooney has agreed to join York City for 2014-15. We wish him all the best with his new club.

I particularly liked the idea on the rumours thread that Mark Schwarzer could come in next season. A perfect experienced Keeper in my view.

• That Jason Mooney York have signed is 6ft9!!!