Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This season's best memories/moments

Comments

• Options
    Getting Huddersfield in the Cup, again and again.
  • Options
    Birmingham away was a giggle. Brighton at Home, Jacko vs QPR.
  • Options

Best moment of the season was the exit of the gruesome two some if assessed in the long run.

Best pitch moment - jordan cousins winner v forest

Best CL moment...the end to the bickering and sniping ;)

Sadly I don't think it quite has yet. Hopefully once the position of the manager and the squad is sorted out, then we can start looking to the future properly, and really "move on".

Personal favourite moment? Powell swinging on the crossbar at Sheff Weds :-)

• Options

1. Winning at Hillsborough to qualify for last 8 of the cup.

2. Winning 3-2 after being 2 nil down against Sheffield Wednesday in the league.

This. As also at both.

Best experience whilst not at a game has to be QPR winner. I was watching on the 'recommended'far eastern tv link ;) and when the ball went in i shouted/roared so loud, my cat (who had been sitting next to me on the sofa) leapt up into the air, Looney Tunes style and shot upstairs.
  • Options
    Oxford at home in the League Cup. Only because it was the only win I got to see live, my only other game being the opening day loss to Middlesboro. And of course it contained that most rare of events, a Simon Church double!

The winner v QPR was great as well, watching on TV with another rare commodity, a Phuket-based QPR fan with head in hands.
  • Options

Two very rare decent moments that stick in my mind from this largely embarrassing and unethical debacle of a season:

1. Tuesday 1 October v Nottingham Forest. The north upper's defiant response to Fatty Reid's flukey free kick against us. After a momentary pause, they just kept singing as though nothing had happened and everyone followed suit. We knew then we would at least get a point and sure enough, we did.
    2. Weds 12 March v Huddersfield. Standing for the dignified and moving tribute to Saint Chris three minutes into the fixture.

I will spare you my worst 100 memories which will not just be automatically wiped out by the enormous relief of avoiding a relegation which should never have been a realistic prospect in the first place.

Just the briefest of reminders though that our previous manager (remember him) was stabbed in the back and (according to newspaper reports) has still has not had his contract honoured, some of our hardest working players are out of work in one weeks time and up until two games ago this was the most inept Charlton attack in living memory. Even the Abbot and Costello show in League 1 had a comedy element. As for the farcical introduction of the uninvited Belgian rejects and the mystery Polish superstar, we can leave that for another thread.

Sorry but my champagne still tastes a little sour and some fans conveniently choose to have very short memories. In my experience, what goes around comes around sooner or later. Lets hope it's not next season.
  • Options
    My two favourite moments both came at the same 'massive' ground. The FA cup win at Hillsborough with SCP swinging on the cross bar was just a great night and I didn't think anything could top it until the league match there, going from the depths of despair to utter jubilation and reminding me just how much I love this club.
  • Options
    Wednesday away in the cup for me
    Scenes at full time were worth getting home at 3am for
  • Options
    Yep Sheffield Wed away wins this by a country mile
  • Options
    QPR home not just the win but i had draw (ht) / cafc (ft) - forgot about the bet when we scored so had double celebration!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Highlight has to be youngsters coming through for me. The one single moment is between JJ last minute goal v QPR or Marvins winner at the MASSIVES.
  • Options
    Harriott's second goal, when I knew we were safe. Goal of the Season still Stephens' volley Vs Donny.
  • Options
    I don't get to see too many games, but the highlights that I witnessed were:

1) Playing at Welling on a nice sunny day after arriving in UK that morning
    2) A spirited performance against Birmingham that ended in defeat
    3) The emergence of Poyet and Cousins

Add to that:

4) The hope that the youngsters both stay and continue to progress and that some experience is brought in to strengthen the side in the known weak areas
    5) The fact that we managed to scramble out of the bottom three - I think we have made a mixture of good luck and bad luck, but it could have gone either way from what I have seen.
  • Options
    That I saw....Sordell's winner at Sheff Wed

That I didn't see.....Hamer's penalty save at Leeds
  • Options
    1. Jackson vs. QPR
    2. Sordell hat-trick at Hillsborough
    3. Harriott's brace vs Watford
    4. Finally getting rid of Slater and Jiminez
    5. Jose Riga's speech after the Watford game

As there is bound now to be a lowpoint post too, here are mine -

1. SCP sacking
    2. Losing Yann and Stephens
    3. The G21 calling out RD
    4. Missing the Bramall Lane quarter final
    5. The Valley performance vs. Millwall
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Highs:

Penalty save at Leeds, the comeback at Hillsborough (Up with our BIG mouths, we're staying up with our BIG mouths), Last minute winners against QPR and Bournemouth, Sealing survival against Watford. Yann's free kick-kick at Oxford. Jacko equaliser at Ipswich. Winning at Blackburn again.

Lows: Missing out on going to the New Wembley, Yann leaving, SCP leaving.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    High-point: Kermorgant's deliciously curving free-kick over the wall and into the net for a 3-2 win against Brighton on Boxing Day.

Low-point: The sale of Kermorgant just four weeks later.
  • Options
    I think it has to be Tuesday night.
    I enjoyed my trip to Sheff Utd , Shame it was spoilt by a football match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Jackson v QPR is a close second to the Wednesday 3-2 game, that was just incredible, last minute winners happen relatively regularly but coming back from 2-0 down to win away from home with all the goals scored by a striker who had looked pretty average all season is fairly unique.
  • Options
    Beating L**ds at Bellend Road. For me, that was beautiful. (I met Fanny that night and she too was beautiful).
  • Options
    The last two League winner in Leicster and Cardiff have lost at the valley in their championship season - proud of that.
  • Options

It goes without saying that this has been one of the hardest seasons to follow Charlton. Yet out of it, I have some of the best, most enjoyable memories I think I've had following us. There have been a shed load of lowpoints, but these have made the highlights as exciting, shocking, uplifting, surprising and euphoric as they have been. It's only once you suffer that you appreciate the highs.

Assuming we were never planning on promotion this year and with the benefit of hindsight allowing us to know we would be safe, I genuinely don't think I would change this season - I certainly wouln't want to sign up for this every year! But for the one off experience, I'd take the thrill of the relgation scrap and the forging of such iconic moments through the doom and despair. The emergence of youth players, last minute winners, unexpected goalscorers, takeovers, pantomime heroes/villains...it's been a great, if not unconventional season.

I pity the teletext fans. The sky go armchair supporters. The glory hunters who skip between PL sides. They can never understand what it feels like to follow a football team. They will never witness or take in nights like Tuesday. We may have been a fairly terrible team this year, but this team has provided a football experience that us fans won't forget in a hurry.

What a pleasure to read, I agree with this positive outlook wholeheartedly. This has to have been one of the toughest seasons I've had as a fan - but I really genuinely have enjoyed it. Sure, if we hadn't survived, I would struggle to say I'd enjoyed it. But we DID survive. The difficult points in this season have been some of the most memorable in all the years I've supported Charlton.

My personal highlight: Jacko's winner against QPR.

Why? The North Upper has gone off like that many times - but to see everyone in the East and the West exploding in the same way - to see the entire Valley scream and shout and jump as one - what a memory that is. We're all in it together, we're all part of Charlton, and I'll remember this season as much as our championship winning one.

• Options
    I really enjoyed Nottingham Forest away myself, few fans but a good atmosphere made better by the boo's from the 'hasty to leave' Nottingham supporters.
  • Options
    We all know this season has been awful, Sacking of Chris, awful pitch, worst chicken burgers and shit beer...oh and losing lots of games and poor football. They are the worst!!!
    Best moments, Birmingham away, and Donny at home (replay), watching Poyet look class and......cant think of anymore.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Didn't get to QPOR game. Only commenting on games I was at although Sheff Wed away on the matvch thread would be in there. My favourites were:

1. Watford and especially Jacko's goal which came out of the blue just when we looked like losing.
    2. Dervite winner against Bournemouth.
    3. The day out at Sheff U despite the cack performance and the background politics that became clear the following day.
    4. Performance against Forest which was a cracking good game.
    5. Oxford game in the League cup where I saw Cousins for the first time and Pigott looked like a prospect. One out of two ain't bad I suppose.....

The rest of it, frankly, was a pile of steaming poo!
  • Options
    1. The excitement of driving up to Sheffield for the FA Cup QF
    2. Jackson winner at QPR
    3. Jackson equaliser at Ipswich
    4. Young Addicks Xmas party

Best bit was enjoying all of these with my 8 year old son who is absolutely Charlton mad. Can't wait to do it all again next season.
  • Options
    Jacko winner v QPR and the support in the last half hour at Reading
    Nug said:

1. The excitement of driving up to Sheffield for the FA Cup QF
    2. Jackson winner at QPR
    3. Jackson equaliser at Ipswich
    4. Young Addicks Xmas party

Best bit was enjoying all of these with my 8 year old son who is absolutely Charlton mad. Can't wait to do it all again next season.

Nice point re Young Addicks, they helped to arrange for my George to be mascot at Derby which was a personal highlight for both of us.