Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BWP in the US of A

Comments

• Options
    Scored AGAIN last night. 11 goals in 10 starts this season and now the MLS top scorer.
  • Options
    says a lot about the standard of the mls
  • Options
    Hi all, I've been here in Vancouver for 10 years and attend quite a few Vancouver Whitecap games. I have to say the standard is improving and entertaining as well. BWP scored against the Whitecaps in the 1st game of the season and Lloyd Sam looked reasonable. This league is getting stronger each year and you can see how the USA has improved as well. Shame Canada can't get its act together. The MLS is a decent product. Always hard to judge quality against Championship or league 1 but you can see none of the BPL teams blow away MLS teams when on tour. Spurs were very lucky against Seattle on the weekend in the 3-3 tie where they had 3 penalties. On a side note, Henry refuses to play on turf so did not play here when the Whitecaps beat NY 4-1 at the start of the season.
  • Options
    pjs35 said:

Hi all, I've been here in Vancouver for 10 years and attend quite a few Vancouver Whitecap games. I have to say the standard is improving and entertaining as well. BWP scored against the Whitecaps in the 1st game of the season and Lloyd Sam looked reasonable. This league is getting stronger each year and you can see how the USA has improved as well. Shame Canada can't get its act together. The MLS is a decent product. Always hard to judge quality against Championship or league 1 but you can see none of the BPL teams blow away MLS teams when on tour. Spurs were very lucky against Seattle on the weekend in the 3-3 tie where they had 3 penalties. On a side note, Henry refuses to play on turf so did not play here when the Whitecaps beat NY 4-1 at the start of the season.

I suspect those blindly slating the MLS are the same that expect England to dominate at International level - ie this opinion is based on ignorance of the game outside their own narrow frame of reference.

I watch the MLS every week & it's a very open, entertaining & decent league. The two goals Portland Timbers scored on Friday night were superb....goals at 5mins & 6mins on the video linked below

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2014/07/19/highlights-portland-timbers-vs-colorado-rapids-july-18-2014
  • Options
    Am hopeful of being at this game....
  • Options
    Fair play bradders
  • Options
    New York win 1-0. Lloyd Sam done a few good crosses as well by all accounts
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Strange case with Brad. At the Hartlepool game (trophy presentation) I was in the bar after and spoke with Dave White who told me that BWP wasnt in SCPs championship plans and even may be sold. I guess the money problems changed that.
  • Options
    Move on
  • Options
    I remember when we played Leicester at home (The return of Yann part 1), Brad, as well as scoring, had a terrific game.
  • Options
    He was dreadful on a one-on-one - how many chances did he need to score a goal?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

He was dreadful on a one-on-one - how many chances did he need to score a goal?

This was because he wasn't good enough/didn't have the confidence to try to slot it past the keeper. He said his only aim was to get the ball on target ie hit it at the keeper and hope it went through him.
  • Options

I remember when we played Leicester at home (The return of Yann part 1), Brad, as well as scoring, had a terrific game.

Was that not the day we announced the signing of Fuller? I think that may have played a part
  • Options
    cafctom said:

That defending is not representative of MLS as a whole I'd say. I watch it whenever there is a live game on BT Sport/ESPN. Would have the standard ranked as lower-mid Championship when you consider there are some L1 players (the likes of BWP and Lloyd Sam) mixing it up with Prem level players (Henry, Cahill, Cudicini, Keane, Dempsey).

I would respectfully disagree. Defending is not one of the MLS's strengths. The overall play is L1 to L2.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Its amazing how little they earn out there if they are just a regular player. The avergae is about $50,000.

Yet the attendances at the games are decent. Seattle Sounders are capable of pulling in 50,000+ for big games.

That is because the game is an "event" here in the States. Fans march down the street wearing their Sounders scarves and then chant during the games. The only positive is that the Sounders brought in Clint Dempsey.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NYRB Played the first match of the Champions League last early this morning, they won but BWP was unused sub
    Sam did score tho
  • Options
    First player in NY Red Bull history to score 20 goals in one season. Good article on his partnership with Henry (not Irving) here. http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/08/27/new-york-red-bulls-hitman-bradley-wright-phillips-record-breaking-season
  • Options
    Crazy how popular BWP and Sam are out there.

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/dare2bwp
  • Options
    I notice a 'D. Dwyer' is second in the league's scoring charts as well. He's scored 20 in 30.
  • Options
    wow, bwp is 3 goals off the season record. Good on the lad!
  • Options
    Rothko said:

All MLS salaries are published http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/April 1, 2014 Salary Information - Alphabetical.pdf

BWP is on $372,000, Sam $136,500 and Bover is on $36,500

Henry as a designated player earns $4.35m

Excuse me but just jumped into this thread.

So BWP is on about £4k pw - would he not have been able to do as well or better here? Sorry if this has been dissected in the pages I've not yet read.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    M
  • Options
    He has just opened the scoring v Toronto FC, good on you Bradley.