Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BWP in the US of A

Comments

• Options
    the gulf between players salaries is huge. Designated players like henry are driving sports cars, living in mansions or studio apartments in manhatten whilst players like bover will be doing okay for themselves, renting a nice apartment but not really anything left over for their long term futures - particularly when footballers usual dont have many qualifications.
  • Options
    Agree Gary, it's not much of a salary to live off. What is the foreign player rule in the MLS out of interest?
  • Options
    i believe its called the Designated Player rule. one per team and only 370K USD of that salary goes towards the calculation for the wage cap. any salary above that threshold doesnt count towards the cap.
  • Options
    Surely someone like Bover will be earning more than that in bonuses and add ons?

Otherwise he'll be struggling to get by on 25k a year living in New york won't he?
  • Options

Dear god that's a combination of terrible defending and terrible commentary. Henry looks like he never breaks into a sprint in the entire game. "Wow look at Henry looking up to see where the player in the box is, what brilliant awareness" urrm...

Would love to have Henry's life right now. Paid millions a year to jog around and look fancy and be treated like a soccer god.

I'm sure you could jog around, I'm guessing you could look fancy, so what's stopping you, except being as good as a past-his-prime Henry?
  • Options

Dear god that's a combination of terrible defending and terrible commentary. Henry looks like he never breaks into a sprint in the entire game. "Wow look at Henry looking up to see where the player in the box is, what brilliant awareness" urrm...

Would love to have Henry's life right now. Paid millions a year to jog around and look fancy and be treated like a soccer god.

I'm sure you could jog around, I'm guessing you could look fancy, so what's stopping you, except being as good as a past-his-prime Henry?
    henry, in his prime, was world class, no doubt about it. But the standard of the MLS makes him still look world class whilst being way past his best.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Lloyd Sam wasn't good enough for us in League One, which is why we binned him off.

Jordan Cousins may not be a natural right winger but at least he provides energy and is an assured player on the ball. Same can't be said of lazy Lloyd.

You're being ridiculous there Tom. Lloyd Sam was a decent right winger for us in a side that spent most of 07/08 in the top 6 of the championship and was also one of our better players in league one.

"Binned off" is completely inaccurate. He left to go to Leeds in the Championship because we couldn't afford to keep him and he was good enough for the Championship. I believe he was a popular player for a period at Leeds but lost his place to Gradel and Snodgrass who are very good players.

And finally, to say Jordan is "an assured player on the ball, the same can't be said of lazy lloyd". Again, ridiculous. Jordan Cousins looks like a frog out of water on the right, no danger of beating a man and certainly no danger of putting a meaningful cross in the box. Jordan is a disciplined and energetic box to box central midfield, his passing needs work. Lloyd wasn't great but he was better than any other winger we have at the moment, including Callum Harriot albeit he is clearly still very young.
    THIS !!
  • Options
    Na, Didn't like Lloyd Sam at all. Lazy even for a winger and very limited. Being fairly quick doesn't make you a good player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All MLS salaries are published http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/April 1, 2014 Salary Information - Alphabetical.pdf

BWP is on $372,000, Sam $136,500 and Bover is on $36,500

Henry as a designated player earns $4.35m
  • Options
    I watch MLS every week as a Portland Timbers armchair (and sometimes live) supporter. The quality of the league is OK, I certainly wouldn't write it off as rubbish based on a few youtube clips - teh games are usually entertaining & the occasionally poor/naieve defensive displays certainly adds to the enjoyment. There are some very good Latin & South American players & the newer generations of North Americans coming through are increasingly better.

Will be watching Austin Aztecs in acouple of weeks time while we are down there, managed by Kenny Dalglish's son - Paul. Now that is a cushy job, Austin is a fabulous city.
  • Options
    Stig said:

BWP is wearing 99. Goals at 1.00, 2.20, 4.40 (Henry, Assisted by BWP) & 6.40. There's also a good couple of saves from the Houston keeper to deny BWP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoEOFhu6cWs

Who'd have thought it, Lloyd Sam and Thierry Henry in the same team?

For a second (ok a bit longer) I was looking at the numbers and trying to figure out if they were some weird American Soccer stats! I then scrolled down.....
  • Options

Addicted said:

Defoe is a touch better though...

of course but it was Bovers salary that surprised me. I know quality of life is better but £25k a year for a pro footballer is conference salary.
    Probably topping up by working the nightshift at MacD's.
  • Options
    If only u could give both callum and lloyd a bit of the tenacity newts had

I used to rip Newton to shreds when he started out because he couldnt control a football. He kept at it though and remains my favorite homegrown winger. Never seen such consistency, he was reliable 7/10 every week.
  • Options

If only u could give both callum and lloyd a bit of the tenacity newts had

I used to rip Newton to shreds when he started out because he couldnt control a football. He kept at it though and remains my favorite homegrown winger. Never seen such consistency, he was reliable 7/10 every week.

maybe it was all the coke he was snorting
  • Options

Surely someone like Bover will be earning more than that in bonuses and add ons?

Otherwise he'll be struggling to get by on 25k a year living in New york won't he?

Think he must be .If he is earning 25k a year i dont think he will be renting any nice apartment ant time soon.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
  • Options
    Another Hat-Trick for him in a 5-4 loss to Chicago
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I was just gonna post that. Although New York went down 5-4 to Chicago Fire yesterday, BWP completed another hattrick from the spot. His goals are at 3:00, 7:20 and 8:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG4G0vqIRIM
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks sharp
  • Options
    he is just keeping himself in shape before making a return to us in August........
  • Options
    Bombed out of the team when his confidence was low by the previous manager. Might have flourished under Riga like Dervite, Marvin and Callum.
  • Options
    Gotta say, that ref was shit. Chicargo first goal is off-side and red bulls first shouldn't have stood either (foul throw)..................
  • Options

Gotta say, that ref was shit. Chicargo first goal is off-side and red bulls first shouldn't have stood either (foul throw)..................

Yeah, I was confused as the striker seemed to be blatantly offside by a good meter or two. From what I gather it's because he didn't touch the ball.. but he was clearly affecting play by his positioning. Not sure where the rules are on that.

That said, the linesman didn't cover himself in glory with his flag up.. no flag down.. movement. Should've stuck by his original decision surely?
  • Options
    Certainly seems to be popular over there, nine I'm ten !

http://www.soccerchris.com/2014/05/12/mls-alphabet-week-10/
  • Options
    Another goal tonight from a penalty.

Also noticed that the current top scorer in the MLS is Dom Dwyer who we had on trial for a bit last summer.
  • Options

Another goal tonight from a penalty.

Also noticed that the current top scorer in the MLS is Dom Dwyer who we had on trial for a bit last summer.

Also sounded like we almost had him on loan in January

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/kings-lynn-fc/former_king_s_lynn_and_norwich_city_striker_dom_dwyer_close_to_charlton_athletic_loan_during_mls_close_season_1_3197553
  • Options
    Actually i think when i said last summer i meant last window. Either way we still had him here, let him go and now he's scoring for fun