Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Barnes

Nice to see that he's lost some weight since turning out for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp6wOW4bNDM

Comments

• Options
    Wonder if he'd have sung that if it was requested by some hairy arsed fella?.....................
  • Options

Nice to see that he's lost some weight since turning out for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp6wOW4bNDM

I actually know the person that asked him to do that. Brilliant.
  • Options
    Barnes is a lovely, decent fellow.
  • Options
    On Supersport in SA a lot, talks a lot of sense and way better than most pundits. Tactically really gets the game still. We didn't get him at his best but was still a class act on and off the pitch.
  • Options
    ""Very few black managers can lose their job and get another job."

Got any stats to back that up John?
  • Options
    Obviously there are very few ethnic minority managers in the British game, and without knowing anyone in the game who is black I can't comment on what obstacles or barriers they face to getting into management. But why is it Powell, Hughton & Ramsey for example do have a job, whereas Barnes doesn't? Sure the game must be doing all it can to encourage diversity etc, yet I think here, like when Campbell claimed he didn't get England captain, is a case of just not being good enough. Barnes' record as a manager was crap, and that's being kind.
  • Options

Of course he does, from the link provided by the BBC, the following black managers that currently got jobs have had the following history, so looks like they've all struggled to get a second job

Chris Hughton has had four jobs: Newcastle / Birmingham / Norwich / Brighton
    Keith Curle has had four jobs: Chester / Torquay / Notts County / Carlisle
    Chris Powell has had two jobs: Charlton / Huddersfield
    Fabio Liverani has had two jobs: Genoa / Leyton Orient
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has had two jobs: Royal Antwerp / Burton Albion

Even Paul Ince has struggled with only six jobs (Macclesfield / Blackburn / MK Dons twice / Notts County / Blackpool)

Whilst Mr John Barnes has only had three jobs himself: Celtic / Tranmere / Jamaica

Maybe he should be pushing other ex-Black Footballers to go into coaching rather than the safe job of being a pundit (i.e. Thierry Henry / Trevor Sinclair / Jermaine Jenas et all)
  • Options
    I think it's probably more to do with the fact that he has got an absolutely terrible record at both clubs he managed. It wasn't just that he failed in them, he did so farcically.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The point he's missing is that most managers struggle to get a another job if they've failed in the first one at a club as big as Celtic, regardless of skin colour.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Why can't John see that he's really undermining real cases of racism within football by coming out with hocus pocus shit like this.

Clubs soon find out that managers are no good and they stop getting interviews (except for Appleton). Managers who always used to be in work now aren't such as Brian Laws, Gary Megson, Brian Robson.

He had a disastrous spell with Celtic and the only reason Tranmere didn't get relegated was because they sacked Barnes.
  • Options

Why can't John see that he's really undermining real cases of racism within football by coming out with hocus pocus shit like this.

Clubs soon find out that managers are no good and they stop getting interviews (except for Appleton). Managers who always used to be in work now aren't such as Brian Laws, Gary Megson, Brian Robson.

He had a disastrous spell with Celtic and the only reason Tranmere didn't get relegated was because they sacked Barnes.

spot on. nothing do with their skin colour. mediocrity
  • Options
    How many black chairman are there in England? Let's start there and work backwards.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

How many black chairman are there in England? Let's start there and work backwards.

So going by the list of owners found here.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_football_club_owners... Only one owner of none white descent has an non-white Manager

Hull City (Egypt) ... No
    Leicester City (Thailand) ... No
    Manchester City (UAE) ... No
    Queens Park Rangers (Malaysia / India) ... YES

Birmingham City (Hong Kong / China) ... No
    Blackburn Rovers (India) ... No
    Cardiff City (Malaysia) ... No
    Fulham (Pakistan) ... No
    Nottingham Forest (Kuwait) ... No

Sheffield United (Saudi Arabia) ... No

*I've deliberately left off Arsenal and Leeds and their foreign owners that fall under this example only have a maximum of 15% ownership
  • Options
    From the BBC
    The Football League, under the guidance of chairman Greg Clarke, is conducting a review into how it can increase the numbers of BME coaches and managers among its member clubs.

Clarke has been criticised by the Professional Footballers' Association for his failure to keep a promise to hold a vote at the Football League's 2013 annual general meeting on a proposal to conduct a trial of a version of the NFL's Rooney Rule.
    The Rooney Rule is a load of bollocks though. Just because you have to interview at least one person from black and ethnic minorities it doesn't mean that they are going to get the job. There may still be better candidates out there who are white.

How do we even know if people from black and ethnic minorities are applying for these jobs?
  • Options
    I don't understand. Are you suggesting that Alan Curbishley should pull the race card next time he misses out on a job?

Interesting idea, could work.
  • Options
    Experiences like this might influence his thinking.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    But he did get another job, he just f'ked that one up too.
  • Options
    Given the number of black players it does suggest a problem. The Rooney rule would help in making sure at least there's the prospect of an interview where they may not have been otherwise. Problems at the top with shortage of black chairmen no doubt a factor too (Wigan's Dave Whelan, from player to chairman, so it can be done).
  • Options
    I think it's highly unlikely that the majority of chairmen in the football league are racist and are prepared to overlook the best man for the job because of his skin colour.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

I don't understand. Are you suggesting that Alan Curbishley should pull the race card next time he misses out on a job?

Interesting idea, could work.
    No. But if a highly successful manager like AC struggles to get a new job, why should someone who has been pants at it get one?
  • Options
    It's not necessarily as blatant as someone deliberately setting out to only pick white people though is it, there may be all sorts of subtle influences going on that have the same overall effect.
  • Options

Given the number of black players it does suggest a problem. The Rooney rule would help in making sure at least there's the prospect of an interview where they may not have been otherwise. Problems at the top with shortage of black chairmen no doubt a factor too (Wigan's Dave Whelan, from player to chairman, so it can be done).

Bad example. Don't forget, he was recently done for racism!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The Africa Cup of Nations had just 4 home managers, the African countries had appointed what they deemed to be the best available to them.

I don't think being black stops you being re-employed in England but I do reckon it is a lot harder for black coaches to get their first break at management.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Yes John it's definitely racism. It has nothing to do with Celtic losing to Inverness & the headline "Super Caley go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious".

Also, after being sacked by Celtic, he manages Tranmere, trying to play silky football in the lower leagues.
    Who'd have thought that it wouldn't work ?

Barnes was officially named as manager of Tranmere Rovers on 15 June 2009, with Jason McAteer assisting him.[37] He got off to a disastrous start, with Tranmere only winning three of their first fourteen games. During their time at Tranmere, Barnes and McAteer were allegedly dubbed "Dumb and Dumber" by the Tranmere players.[38] On 9 October 2009, Barnes was sacked by the club six days after a 5–0 defeat at Millwall and a run of just two wins from eleven league games.[39] He has since applied to become the manager of the Rwandan national team with Stephen Garside as his Youth Team Coach.[40].

Presumably he didn't get The Rwandan job, because they are anti-blacks ?

I also presume McAteer hasn't had a coaching job since Tranmere, because of racism as well ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Barnes_(footballer)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_McAteer
  • Options

Doesn't the number of black players suggest there isn't a problem? Or do Chairmen not have a problem with signing black players but do appointing a manager?
  • Options

Bad example. Don't forget, he was recently done for racism!
    That was exactly my point. In fact it was one of 2 points in citing him.