Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Karel Fraeye

Comments

• johnny73 said:

It doesn't matter what his abilities are. He will not be backed by the owner to assemble a decent squad.

This.

A manager/head coach is only as good as the players at his disposal.

There was nothing wrong with Luzon views on football, but we didn't have the players up to speed to carry it out.

• johnny73 said:

It doesn't matter what his abilities are. He will not be backed by the owner to assemble a decent squad.

This.

There was nothing wrong with Luzon views on football, but we didn't have the players up to speed to carry it out.

I do not think it is really as clear cut as that. Yes we didn't bring in the required depth/quality that we needed, which is always going to make it a struggle from the off, but ultimately Luzon was the one who set the team up to play the way they did and didn't seem to have a clue how to react or to change things when teams had clearly sussed us out.
  • That piece does sound promising and I don't doubt for one minute he has something about him but that doesn't explain to me at least why this 37 year old coach is still plodding around in the Belgian third division. It's not like he's 30 and just left his playing days behind him. He's been a coach for a while so why the lowly status.

That's a good point. Why not give him a role at SL or STVV?
  • Luzon what somewhat hamstringed tactically by not having a proper squad. I do agree he could have done better and was fairly one dimensional, however who else would have in these circumstances at this level with our budget? We're not gonna tempt Fergie out of retirement
  • What I don't understand is why Fraeye has had no coaching roles under both Peeters and Luzon. It's not as if he was tied to Riga and followed him around, Matthews stayed and worked with both Peeters and Luzon, so surely he could have as well?
  • I'm stunned that it is ten past 12 and we're still yet to have an official photo of Karel taking training, it'd be good to see all the smiling faces of our players genuinely enthused by their new leader and his proven Belgian Div 3 methods....
  • What I don't understand is why Fraeye has had no coaching roles under both Peeters and Luzon. It's not as if he was tied to Riga and followed him around, Matthews stayed and worked with both Peeters and Luzon, so surely he could have as well?

Don't try to understand the clueless owners reasons for doing anything. It will drive you potty.
  • edited October 2015
    /

johnny73 said:

This.

I do not think it is really as clear cut as that. Yes we didn't bring in the required depth/quality that we needed, which is always going to make it a struggle from the off, but ultimately Luzon was the one who set the team up to play the way they did and didn't seem to have a clue how to react or to change things when teams had clearly sussed us out.
    Because we don't have the players, such as passing midfielders or a winger good at crosses, to make any kind of Plan B work. Luzon clearly did lose the plot in the end and he was a network yes-man, but you can't change tactics at this level without the players to make different styles of play work. Look at the bench we had against Brentford - no-one there to create anything.

So what difference is Fraeye going to make? Boost morale a bit... er... apply a boot to the backside of a troublemaker or two... er...
  • Perhaps some players did not get on with Luzon,so Fraeye could make differance.
  • Sponsored links:

• You never know it means that one day, people will talk of how X Manager started their career at Charlton (like how Jose Mourinho started @ Uniao) and went on to better and bigger things, or will we be known as a team like Blackburn who didnt have the balls to try and sign Zidane or messed up trying to get Lewandowski

And the most likely scenario?

He will get talked about as the manager who came in from Belgian Division 3 and had absolutely no idea about the Championship and was then binned off.

Admire/amazed by your open mindedness to the situation though.
  • Because we don't have the players, such as passing midfielders or a winger good at crosses, to make any kind of Plan B work. Luzon clearly did lose the plot in the end and he was a network yes-man, but you can't change tactics at this level without the players to make different styles of play work. Look at the bench we had against Brentford - no-one there to create anything.

I think we certainly had the players, just using the Brentford game as an example, to make a 4-3-3/4-5-1 work. I feel the extra man in the centre of midfield would have stopped us being overrun so easily, though we would be heavily reliant on Cousins energy and drive to turn defence into attack.

Attacking:

Henderson
    Solly----Sarr----Bauer----Fox

Ba---Cousins---Jackson

JBG-------Watt/Makienok--------Moussa

Defending:

Henderson

Ba-------Jackson

JBG----Cousins------Moussa

Watt/Makienok

Obviously this is all conjecture, and we might not practice this formation in training, or do so and end up being awful at it anyway, but I would rather see this than a narrow and rigid 4-4-2. I am not anti 4-4-2, but if you are going to play that formation you need to press the opposition quickly otherwise they will just run rings around you, or at the very least let your full backs attack so they can create some space and options when you go forward.

So what difference is Fraeye going to make? Boost morale a bit... er... apply a boot to the backside of a troublemaker or two... er...

I do not know anything about Fraeye to make a judgement on what difference he would make. My gut instinct is probably not much.
  • seth plum said:

johnny73 said:

He doesn't have to be, he can mastermind stuff.

He's started, so he'll finish ...
  • Because we don't have the players, such as passing midfielders or a winger good at crosses, to make any kind of Plan B work. Luzon clearly did lose the plot in the end and he was a network yes-man, but you can't change tactics at this level without the players to make different styles of play work. Look at the bench we had against Brentford - no-one there to create anything.

I think we certainly had the players, just using the Brentford game as an example, to make a 4-3-3/4-5-1 work. I feel the extra man in the centre of midfield would have stopped us being overrun so easily, though we would be heavily reliant on Cousins energy and drive to turn defence into attack.

Attacking:

Henderson

Ba---Cousins---Jackson

Defending:

Henderson

Ba-------Jackson

Watt/Makienok

Obviously this is all conjecture, and we might not practice this formation in training, or do so and end up being awful at it anyway, but I would rather see this than a narrow and rigid 4-4-2. I am not anti 4-4-2, but if you are going to play that formation you need to press the opposition quickly otherwise they will just run rings around you, or at the very least let your full backs attack so they can create some space and options when you go forward.

I do not know anything about Fraeye to make a judgement on what difference he would make. My gut instinct is probably not much.
    Fair enough, we could have changed formation, but I'm not sure it would make that much difference, with JJ's limited stamina and Mak not up to a full 90 mins. More damage limitation than doing much to disrupt the opposition, perhaps? The full backs aren't the best for adding attacking options.

I agree entirely about the lack of width and I agree about the problem of not pressing when we lose the ball. I haven't seen most of our games, but pressing is something we were doing better at the start of the season, weren't we? What changed?

Attacking:

Henderson

Ba---Cousins---Jackson

Defending:

Henderson

Ba-------Jackson

Watt/Makienok

Fair enough, we could have changed formation, but I'm not sure it would make that much difference, with JJ's limited stamina and Mak not up to a full 90 mins. More damage limitation than doing much to disrupt the opposition, perhaps? The full backs aren't the best for adding attacking options.

I agree entirely about the lack of width and I agree about the problem of not pressing when we lose the ball. I haven't seen most of our games, but pressing is something we were doing better at the start of the season, weren't we? What changed?
    Kashi becoming injured I guess.
  • edited October 2015
    Perhaps. Just perhaps RD has got Fraeye in to be just as stated on the tin, an interim. KF is obviously known and trusted by Duchatelet and was able to get him on board because he's already on a retainer as scout for Staprix and wouldn't be on very much at VW Hamme. Bit like the Riga situation. No intention of giving him the job full time but easy and no real bother ?

Still doesn't sit well because I can't see him having the experience necessary to succeed even short term.

What it might give is the hope that a search for the next coach will this time around be meaningful.
  • Perhaps. Just perhaps RD has got Fraeye in to be just as stated on the tin, an interim. KF is obviously known and trusted by Duchatelet and was able to get him on board because he's already on a retainer as scout for Staprix and wouldn't be on very much at VW Hamme. Bit like the Riga situation. No intention of giving him the job full time but easy and no real bother ?

Still doesn't sit well because I can't see him having the experience necessary to succeed even short term.

What it might give is the hope that a search for the next coach will this time around be meaningful.

It's just a way of managing the fallout if / when he fails.
    Sadly I concur

Attacking:

Henderson

Ba---Cousins---Jackson

Defending:

Henderson

Ba-------Jackson

Watt/Makienok

Sorry I've mucked up the quote thingy as usual.....but....

Is 4-5-1 how you would've started the game v Brentford?

Or how you would've gone at 0-0 just before Brentford scored? Or at 0-1 just after they'd scored?

The last two options would've probably meant taking Watt or Mak off after about 20-25 mins and if hadn't have worked, Guy would've been slated for settling for 0-0 or 0-1 at home in a "must win" game.

Plus I'm guessing he didn't want to kill Mak's hamstring (and season) by having him charging around on his own. And I'm thinking he knew that Watt comes too deep so it would be a bit like playing 4-6-0.

In my view the 4-5-1 only really works if you have the right striker (say a Bartlett or Bent) and if you have the right wide men (say Gudmonsson and Bulot). If the fitness returns I can see us using Reza on his own (sure he did it in the World Cup) and Moussa/Harriot/Gudmonsson/January signing in the wide positions.

• Sponsored links:

• Derek1952 said:

Perhaps some players did not get on with Luzon.

Didn't the players also fall out with Peeters ?
  • Whilst the owners are being as shady as ever, Karel will initially need our support because we need positive results ASAP, he might be involved in this little network but he also has to earn a living!
    B*llocks to the board and lets get behind OUR team!
  • Considering the fact that Fraeye is basically an unknown quantity, and his appointment as our interim manager seems strange at best, surely it would be prudent for the club to have a press conference with him where we can at least hear more about his philosophy and ideas. If he gave a really good presser it might at least go someway towards alleviating the fans ire towards the appointment.....

• Poor bloke is probably terrified to show his face after reading this forum. Nothing personal Karel !
  • Poor bloke is probably terrified to show his face after reading this forum. Nothing personal Karel !

He should try ITTV, then, where he will find all is sweetness and light. :wink:
  • I feel if the clowns upstairs had any faith in Karel's ability they would surely let him face up to the media, and not adopt this strange siege mentality that they have.
  • I feel if the clowns upstairs had any faith in Karel's ability they would surely let him face up to the media, and not adopt this strange siege mentality that they have.

I'd rather he spent the week preparing the team for two games in four days than spend time conversing with the press. He's enough on his plate in my opinion.

I'd rather he spent the week preparing the team for two games in four days than spend time conversing with the press. He's enough on his plate in my opinion.

Exactly this.
  • edited October 2015

I feel if the clowns upstairs had any faith in Karel's ability they would surely let him face up to the media, and not adopt this strange siege mentality that they have.

Exactly this.
    Maybe I am just stupid, but surely 30 minutes of his time just to answer some questions and potentially put himself across in a positive light is not going to affect what happens on the pitch on Saturday and Tuesday?

Exactly this.
    Maybe I am just stupid, but surely 30 minutes of his time just to answer some questions and potentially put himself across in a positive light is not going to affect what happens on the pitch on Saturday and Tuesday?
    OS saying their will be an interview with Charlie tomorrow (Thursday)

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 11m11 minutes ago
    TOMORROW | Karel Fraeye will give his first interview as Interim Head Coach on Thursday afternoon. #cafc

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 10m10 minutes ago
    The Belgian will reflect on his first few days back at Sparrows Lane and look ahead to Saturday's trip to @Boro. #cafc