Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Karel Fraeye

Comments

• Bertje said:

I'm a manager of a Belgian team and I'm following talented young players and coaches in the area of Flanders.
    When I googled Fraeye and Charlton I saw this big forum.

I think it's normal that you addicks are hoping for an experienced head coach that you already know.
    But don't underestimate Roland Duchatelet and the young coaches he's bringing ( like the former unknown coach Guy Luzon who's still making a chance to get Standard into the Champions League) .
    I'm following Karel Fraeyes career and he's a talented, typical head coach. I've never seen a more talented young coach in our area.
    As a young player, he had an accident that made an end at a possible career as a player.
    From then, he started being a coach in all the youth teams and every year, his former teams gave him more responsibility.
    He became youth manager of AA Gent (highest Belgian level) and different teams of 3th and 4th division wanted him as a head coach.
    First he made a wrong choice with Sottegem ( players didn't get paid) but then he chose Zele because there, he got the opportunity to build a new team. Young talented players were coming to Zele because he became head coach.
    He won the titel and this year he was in first position to gain a new title with almost the same team.
    Higher playing teams were getting prepared to try to get him in but Duchatelet was the smartest and quickest.
    He worked as a teacher and became at a younger age director of a school.
    His strongest part is reading the game and coaching and motivating players as a team or individually.
    You know: Some Belgian first and second class teams were saying: why does a talented coach as Fraeye chooses for Duchatelet and Charlton if he has opportunities in the Belgian first division. So they are underestimating Charlton and the championship too. :)
    If they make Fraeye head coach: he will fully use the talent of the Charlton staff and players and he 'll get the best out of the squad.

Every great player and every great coach once was unexperienced at higher levels.
    And you are right: Maybe Duchatelet doesn't know the better English coaches.. So isn't it normal that he plays it safe at his point of view and chooses good coaches he knows?
    And at a very good price/quality rate.

Whatever it will be: I hope your beautiful club will get back in the premier league where you belong.
    Good luck!

Interesting stuff mate . Might not be all that bad if Riga does move on to the youth team then .
  • Bertje said:

I'm a manager of a Belgian team and I'm following talented young players and coaches in the area of Flanders.

I think it's normal that you addicks are hoping for an experienced head coach that you already know.
    But don't underestimate Roland Duchatelet and the young coaches he's bringing ( like the former unknown coach Guy Luzon who's still making a chance to get Standard into the Champions League) .
    I'm following Karel Fraeyes career and he's a talented, typical head coach. I've never seen a more talented young coach in our area.
    As a young player, he had an accident that made an end at a possible career as a player.
    From then, he started being a coach in all the youth teams and every year, his former teams gave him more responsibility.
    He became youth manager of AA Gent (highest Belgian level) and different teams of 3th and 4th division wanted him as a head coach.
    First he made a wrong choice with Sottegem ( players didn't get paid) but then he chose Zele because there, he got the opportunity to build a new team. Young talented players were coming to Zele because he became head coach.
    He won the titel and this year he was in first position to gain a new title with almost the same team.
    Higher playing teams were getting prepared to try to get him in but Duchatelet was the smartest and quickest.
    His strongest part is reading the game and coaching and motivating players as a team or individually.
    You know: Some Belgian first and second class teams were saying: why does a talented coach as Fraeye chooses for Duchatelet and Charlton if he has opportunities in the Belgian first division. So they are underestimating Charlton and the championship too. :)
    If they make Fraeye head coach: he will fully use the talent of the Charlton staff and players and he 'll get the best out of the squad.

Every great player and every great coach once was unexperienced at higher levels.
    And you are right: Maybe Duchatelet doesn't know the better English coaches.. So isn't it normal that he plays it safe at his point of view and chooses good coaches he knows?

Whatever it will be: I hope your beautiful club will get back in the premier league where you belong.
    Good luck!

Bertje

As you’ve been following Karel Fraeye’s career so closely hopefully you can clarify a question that’s been discussed on this thread and which is of interest to us if he is to become our coach (or continue as assistant coach) – which is does he have any formal UEFA coaching qualifications and if so at what level?

On page 2 of this thread cantersaddick said “Fraeye also has no coaching qualifications whatsoever!!” and another member Swisdom supported this saying “Somebody I know was having a beer with him and he mentioned it”.

There is no mention of UEFA qualifications on his LinkedIn page:

http://be.linkedin.com/pub/karel-fraeye/83/2b6/5aa

and another member Grapevine49 has posted “I can find no reference to his UEFA qualifications which is odd”, but then today cafc83 posted: “Regarding Karel Fraeye not having UEFA coaching badges I found this, which states he holds the UEFA A license":

http://www.zamante.com/uk/profile/football-coach/karelfraeye/view/contact

So it would be helpful if you could clear this up?
  • He has an UEFA-A level which means in Belgium he can be a head coach of a Second division Club ( Championship)
    To be a head coach in the Belgian Premier League he needs a 'Pro licence'.
    http://www.belgianfootball.be/nl/licenties

What's the rule for the English Chamionship?
  • Bertje said:

He has an UEFA-A level which means in Belgium he can be a head coach of a Second division Club ( Championship)
    To be a head coach in the Belgian Premier League he needs a 'Pro licence'.
    http://www.belgianfootball.be/nl/licenties

What's the rule for the English Chamionship?

http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20130704/section-5-fixtures_2293633_2125729

40 Manager Qualifications

40.1 Subject to Regulation 40.4, with effect from 1st August 2012:-

40.1.1 all Managers in the Championship must hold a minimum of the UEFA A Licence and be working towards completing the UEFA Pro-Licence within 3 years of appointment or 1st August 2015 whichever is the later.

40.1.2 all Managers in League 1 and League 2 must hold a minimum of the UEFA B Licence and be working towards completing the UEFA A Licence within 3 years of appointment or 1st August 2015 whichever is the later.

40.2 Where a Club is promoted from League One to the Championship and that Club's Manager does not hold the UEFA A Licence, the Manager shall have until 31st July in the following Season in which to obtain the UEFA A Licence.

40.3 Where a Club appoints a Manager on an interim basis ('Interim Manager') the Interim Manager does not need to meet the qualifications set out in Regulation 40.1 above provided always that this dispensation shall not last for more than 3 months.

40.4 Where a Manager at a Club held the role of Manager at a Club or Premier League Club on or prior to the 10th June 2011 then that Manager does not need to comply with the provisions of Regulation 40.1 must instead hold the Football Association Coaching Diplom.

• The man who told me said he has the same level of badge as Karel - and he coaches in one of the local Kent leagues I believe.

Maybe he was playing it a bit coy or maybe he does need the next level up to be able to coach in the Championship. Either way it DOES seem he has a bit of something about him.

Interesting times ahead maybe...
  • Thx micks1950.
    So if I'm understanding it right, he can be a head coach but has a deadline to get the pro licence ( before 1st of august 2015)?
    Or does he still have 3 years after he would get appointed?
  • Bertje said:

Thx micks1950.
    So if I'm understanding it right, he can be a head coach but has a deadline to get the pro licence ( before 1st of august 2015)?

Bertje

It says "within 3 years of appointment or 1st August 2015 whichever is the later"

So it would be within 3 years of appointment.

• edited May 2014
    Bertje said:

Good luck!

Fraeye... Is that you?
  • Following an induction period, those wishing to qualify for the Pro-Licence need to undergo a year-long course which involves around 240 hours of study combining a mixture of distance learning, online learning and conference calls. Once this has been successfully completed there is a residential study week at University of Warwick.

I wonder if he has already started.
  • micks1950 'whichever is the later' was the part that I wasn't sure that I understood it right. :)

How are the rules about foreign players?
    What's the maximum?
    Would you addicks like a mix of academy players and Belgian ones?
    Or only English players?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2014
    Bertje said:

micks1950 'whichever is the later' was the part that I wasn't sure that I understood it right. :)

What's the maximum?
    Or only English players?

Some very interesting questions Bertje - particularly the third one.

I think I'll leave it to others to comment.
  • Fraeye is a nice bloke so we should appoint him. Powell is too nice a bloke so we should sack him. Bit confused.
  • Bertje said:

Thx micks1950.

It basiclly means the same thing, it started, 1st August 2012 so you had 3years the obtain the next level which would have been 1st August 2015, if you start now you have to complete within 3 years.
  • Fraeye is a nice bloke so we should appoint him. Powell is too nice a bloke so we should sack him. Bit confused.

you would imagine 99% of CAFC fans want JR to get the job.
  • I agree ValleyGary..
    Maybe they underestimated the level of the Championship. And indeed there wasn't a lot of time..
    Time will learn.
    What Duchatelet is doing is very interesting for me as a watcher but if you're a fan of one of those clubs.. It's less easy maybe..

Bertje said:

micks1950 'whichever is the later' was the part that I wasn't sure that I understood it right. :)

What's the maximum?
    Or only English players?

To be honest Bertje, in answer to the last two questions, i think all Charlton fans want the best players. It doesnt matter where they come from.

RD has given us players from SL, like Nego, Thuram, Koc, that simply aren't good enough. Whether thats because the transfer window was close to closing or he under estimated the Championship, i don't know.

With a whole summer window, we are hoping he does spend some money, but if he has players that are of a good enough standard within his network, then we would welcome them with open arms.

In an ideal world we would have a starting XI good enough for this league that are all from the academy, but thats not going to happen. A mixture of excellent youth prospects and experienced Pro's in the aim, but those experienced pro's have to be either Championship experienced players or imports than can adjust quickly.
  • Is anyone else reading @Bertje contributions with a Steve McClaren Dutch accent going around in their head...

Yesh
  • @Bertje‌

Hi Bertje. From your post I take it you are not a Standard fan, but do come from Belgium. If so, may I ask, overall in Belgium what is the current view of RD's management of Standard, and indeed his management of/involvement with STVV?. We've previously read that he had serious trouble with some Standard fans but that this has died down as they stride towards the title. (although we are monitoring the results, and I wonder if Standard are choking in the final stages)

• @Bertje‌

Could you help my with the following?

1. Duchatelet appointed Riga as SL coach in Jul 2011, but sacked him just 10 months later.

Did Riga do a particularly bad job ? Did he deserve to lose his job ? What were the feelings of Riga as a manager?

2. Duchatelet then gave Ron Jans just 5 months in the job, and Mircea Rednic just 7 months.

Were they clear failures / mistakes that needed quickly changing, or was Duchatelet unfairly quick in changing managers again ?

Grateful for your thoughts
  • Sponsored links:

• @Bertje‌

1. Duchatelet appointed Riga as SL coach in Jul 2011, but sacked him just 10 months later.

Did Riga do a particularly bad job ? Did he deserve to lose his job ? What were the feelings of Riga as a manager?

2. Duchatelet then gave Ron Jans just 5 months in the job, and Mircea Rednic just 7 months.

Were they clear failures / mistakes that needed quickly changing, or was Duchatelet unfairly quick in changing managers again ?

I thought Riga left to coach in Qatar ?
  • NWCorner said:

Is anyone else reading @Bertje contributions with a Steve McClaren Dutch accent going around in their head...

Yesh
    For sure...
  • Yann897 said:

@Bertje‌

He wasn't sacked, he left and RD didn't appoint him, he inherited him.
  • edited May 2014
    Yann897 said:

@Bertje‌

Yes, JR said at the time that the Qatar offer was too good to refuse.
  • !

Is there anything to say that Riga can't be head of the Academy AND in charge of first team affairs, i.e., a director of football with Avory at the Academy and Fraeye and the others running the first team squad. It strikes me that we need one style of football from age 11 through to the first team. So one person manages the strategy, the transition for 16-18 year olds and that same person suggesting the type of player required from elsewhere if the first team is to achieve a certain target in the league.

We should be aware that part of securing Cat 1 status for the Academy requires additional coaches taking the total number of staff to a minimum of 18 and a budget of £2.3M. I believe this might be in excess of £1M more than the current Cat 2 budget? While some of this might be met from additional funding from the FAPL there may still be a cost. Perhaps this might be paid for with enhanced transfer fee income as the Academy hopefully delivers more and more talent. Also it appears that if Chelsea or Arsenal nick a top 14 year old and he then goes on to make 70 Premier League appearances this will generate £1M in compensation.

When the academy structure was established it was specifically prohibited by the FA to have the academy managed through the same structure as the first team. The logic was that this had been a failing of the previous set-up, with long-term player development undermined by short-term priorities. Hence the academy director had to report to the chief executive, not the first-team manager. I'm not aware that has been rescinded.

In terms of the number of coaches, my understanding was that the recruitment in summer 2012 was intended to help achieve Cat 1 status. Subsequently the club claimed it had been aiming at Cat 2, but there are plenty of people who know the truth. The building was the other obstacle and this got thrown Into disarray when Varney left and passed the club side of the project on to Prothero, who tried to delegate it. In short, it may be that we have more academy staff than we need for Cat 2 already, although I don't know that for sure.
  • @Bertje‌

Hi Bertje. From your post I take it you are not a Standard fan, but do come from Belgium. If so, may I ask, overall in Belgium what is the current view of RD's management of Standard, and indeed his management of/involvement with STVV?. We've previously read that he had serious trouble with some Standard fans but that this has died down as they stride towards the title. (although we are monitoring the results, and I wonder if Standard are choking in the final stages)

I'm a cupwinner Sporting Lokeren-fan and Roland Duchatelet has nothing to do with that club. :)
    Not everybody is taking RD seriously in Belgium.
    A lot of the Belgians are curious (like me) about what will happen with his clubs in the future.
    A lot of the Belgians don't believe in what he's doing or think it's just all about the money.
    The Belgian Football boards are having problems with him.
    The Standard-fans wanted him out.. then they were happy with the first position.. What will happen when Standard doesn't get a Champions League ticket or when the best players are being sold?
    He was successful in business.. but a lot of businessmen couldn't achieve the same goals in football so.. time will tell.
    One thing is sure: He's different then others..

Grtz Steve.. euh Bertje ( haha Valley McMoist :) )

• To clear up --

Riga was employed by RD from C.S. Visé. After one season when they finished fifth, which is like Man U finishing 10th, RD did not offer Riga an extension as head coach. RD may well have got him working with Jean-Francois de Sart in the SL academy, but he got the Qatar offer and they amicably parted ways and stayed in contact.
  • Yann897 said:

@Bertje‌

Yes, JR said at the time that the Qatar offer was too good to refuse.

• If what Bertje said about Fraeye is genuine, I'd definitely like him to be in charge rather than Hasselbaink....
  • If what Bertje said about Fraeye is genuine, I'd definitely like him to be in charge rather than Hasselbaink....

Yep, no need for any further evidence or to look at his credentials. A faceless poster from Belgium has posted on a forum so let's appoint him right this minute.