Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England team at the World Cup

Comments

• Options

Not being funny but I don't see what Wilshire has done to deserve a place. Would rather have Lampard's experience from the bench.

well I wasn't actually saying he should go, stating he will if fit. But you could say the same about Lampard, hasn't done much at all this season.
  • Options

I think woy want us to play 4-3-3, Gerrard sitting back in the holding role and lallana and oxlade chamberlain bombing forward. Then have a couple of advanced wingers next to what seems like Rooney in the centre.

that would be too attacking though. I mean Ox is a winger, don't really want him CM.
    played there in the recent friendlies and been playing there for arsenal and has been probably their best player in the last few dire months they've had.
    Yeah but he is still known as a Winger and having say him, Lallana, Sterling, Rooney and Sturridge would be too attacking IMO. We need someone alongside Gerrard, whether that be Henderson, Wilshere or Carrick.
  • Options
    Neymar or Oscar perhaps?
    ;-)
  • Options

I think woy want us to play 4-3-3, Gerrard sitting back in the holding role and lallana and oxlade chamberlain bombing forward. Then have a couple of advanced wingers next to what seems like Rooney in the centre.

that would be too attacking though. I mean Ox is a winger, don't really want him CM.
    played there in the recent friendlies and been playing there for arsenal and has been probably their best player in the last few dire months they've had.
    Yeah but he is still known as a Winger and having say him, Lallana, Sterling, Rooney and Sturridge would be too attacking IMO. We need someone alongside Gerrard, whether that be Henderson, Wilshere or Carrick.
    He's only known as a winger because that's where he played last season, he played central midfield for Southampton at 16 in league one. I wouldn't mind us playing in that formation against Costa Rica.
  • Options
    I'd love us to play the following:

GK - Hart
    RB - Johnson
    CB - Cahill
    CB - Terry (obviously not going to happen)
    LB - Cole
    CM - Gerrard
    CM - Wilshere
    RW - Oxlade Chamberlain (would have been Walcott)
    AM - Rooney
    LW - Lallana
    ST - Sturridge

subs: 2 x GK, Jones, Jagielka, Baines, Carrick, Henderson/Barkley, Milner, Sterling, Welbeck, Lambert, Carroll

Unfortunately Roy is about as likely to take it to the opposition with fast attacking football as Sam Allardyce, so imagine the starting XI will look like:

GK - Hart
    RB - Johnson
    CB - Jagielka
    CB - Cahill
    LB - Cole
    CM - Carrick
    CM - Gerrard
    CM - Wilshere
    RW - Milner
    LW - Welbeck
    ST - Rooney

The most likely attacking/exciting 'surprise' Roy will spring is by starting Andros Townsend. Which pretty much says everything about the current state of the national side.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Hart

Johnson
    Cahill
    Jagielka
    Cole

Gerrard
    Henderson
    Lallana

Sterling
    Rooney
    Sturridge

Can't understand why people are so against Wayne Rooney. I know some believe he is overrated and he isn't particularly liked, but he is surely still strong enough to be in the first eleven.

Agree that we have to ride Liverpool's wave at the moment. Still amazes me that Johnson has been first choice right back for England for about 7 years though.

I haven't got Lampard and Oxlade Chamberlain starting but I still think they could be key players coming off the bench to help change a game when we need it. Same for Barkley.
  • Options
    The problem with most of these line-ups are that its far too attacking. Gerrard really needs to have a fantastic tournament in that holding role he plays in for Liverpool.
  • Options

He's only known as a winger because that's where he played last season, he played central midfield for Southampton at 16 in league one. I wouldn't mind us playing in that formation against Costa Rica.
    not just last season, he's played way more of his career on the wing. Admittedly, he has started to play CM more though.
  • Options
    After seeing Gerrard emotionally drained after beating Man City yesterday you've got to wonder how much of an impact he'll be at the World Cup... Yes he'll go and he'll play because he's the Captain... but in terms of whats happening at Liverpool at the moment is that just exhausting him
  • Options

After seeing Gerrard emotionally drained after beating Man City yesterday you've got to wonder how much of an impact he'll be at the World Cup... Yes he'll go and he'll play because he's the Captain... but in terms of whats happening at Liverpool at the moment is that just exhausting him

With them playing the same XI all year, I wouldn't be surprised if they were all exhausted. Especially the young ones such as Sterling, not sure he's ever played a full season before.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can see Milner playing against Italy and Uruguay.

Does a very good job protecting the useless Glen Johnson.
  • Options

Not being funny but I don't see what Wilshire has done to deserve a place. Would rather have Lampard's experience from the bench.

Totally agree. Completely overrated.
  • Options
    Hart .. Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines .. Gerrard Henderson Lallana .. Rooney .. Sterling Sturridge
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    38 goals in 89 games for England....Rooney has consistently shown he has more than enough to play for England. Too often it has all been left to him, with little support. Will be England's leading goalscorer and then some.

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Gerrard Henderson

Lallana Sterling

Rooney

Sturridge

• Options

The problem with most of these line-ups are that its far too attacking. Gerrard really needs to have a fantastic tournament in that holding role he plays in for Liverpool.

What's the point in playing a more defensive formation? It's not as if we're going to win the cup whichever way we play. I'd prefer to see us give it a go and lose than play like we have in the last few tournaments.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

What's the point in playing a more defensive formation? It's not as if we're going to win the cup whichever way we play. I'd prefer to see us give it a go and lose than play like we have in the last few tournaments.
    Because playing teams like Uruguay (Forlan, Cavani, Rodríguez, Suarez, etc.) without any defensive midfielders is basically handing them the win. I'd prefer we tried to get out of the group stage.
  • Options
    We've tried a defensive, containing strategy at last few World Cups and it's always ended disappointingly. You might be right that it'll get us further in this tournament to play a more cautious game but I also feel that it hinders the long term progression of the team and it always means we go into the big games with a negative mindset.
  • Options

38 goals in 89 games for England....Rooney has consistently shown he has more than enough to play for England. Too often it has all been left to him, with little support. Will be England's leading goalscorer and then some.

Hart

Gerrard Henderson

Lallana Sterling

Rooney

Sturridge

i'd like to know how many of those goals came in major tournaments.
  • Options
    Hart
    Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines
    Gerrard
    Sterling, Henderson, Lallana
    Sturridge, Rooney
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Hart .. Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines .. Gerrard Henderson Lallana .. Rooney .. Sterling Sturridge

Hart

Gerrard Henderson

Lallana Sterling

Rooney

Sturridge

dickplumb said:

Hart
    Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines
    Gerrard
    Sterling, Henderson, Lallana
    Sturridge, Rooney

lots of agreement as to the personnel here ! .. we just differ as to formation(s) ... ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2014

Hart

Gerrard Henderson

Lallana Sterling

Rooney

Sturridge

i'd like to know how many of those goals came in major tournaments.
    He's had a strange one when it comes to major tournaments.

2004 - Done very well. 4 in 4 and made UEFA team of the tournament.

2006 - Bad injury before the tournament and was rushed back

2010 - Shit. But then so was everyone else and his service was pants.

2012 - Banned first 3 games and the Italy game was basically us defending on our 18 yard box.

Some very good players have struggled at major tournaments and some very average players have done well.

But in answer to your question i make it just 5, which isn't good enough.
  • Options
    SELR's team vs Uruguay: Hart; Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Cole; Carrick, Jones; Milner, Gerrard, Lampard, Baines
  • Options
    He also scored our winner that got us through the group stage against Ukraine in 2012. Pretty much every England player underperforms at these tournaments, but Rooney always seems to cop the brunt of it, unfairly in my opinion.
  • Options

Hart

Gerrard Henderson

Lallana Sterling

Rooney

Sturridge

Saves me the time of writing my 11/formation as this would be mine.

Our defence is incredibly average but uts all we have.
  • Options

SELR's team vs Uruguay: Hart; Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Cole; Carrick, Jones; Milner, Gerrard, Lampard, Baines

SELR is right though and you'e just being stupid. If we isolate our defence against a decent opposition we are going to get smashed. We can play 4 attacking players with someone like Henderson supporting and thats fine. But having Gerrard (especially at the end of a tough season for him) on his own in midfield trying to help the defence is a disaster waiting to happen.
  • Options
    I am more than happy with Gerrard and Henderson holding. If we spend too much time worrying about the problems they'll cause us rather than the other way around, we will go down with a whimper.

Let's change our thinking and work on how we can get at THEIR defence. You can all name their forwards but I bet 95% of you couldn't name two defenders.

We.might surprise ourselves. I'm just sick of being boring, conservative England. Two holding players is more than enough defensive cover for the type of football I want to see at international level.
  • Options

Close...

Hart; Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines; Barry, Gerrard, Henderson; Sterling, Sturridge, Lallana.
  • Options

I am more than happy with Gerrard and Henderson holding. If we spend too much time worrying about the problems they'll cause us rather than the other way around, we will go down with a whimper.

Let's change our thinking and work on how we can get at THEIR defence. You can all name their forwards but I bet 95% of you couldn't name two defenders.

We.might surprise ourselves. I'm just sick of being boring, conservative England. Two holding players is more than enough defensive cover for the type of football I want to see at international level.

yeah 2 holding and 4 going forward is fine.

But of course you have to worry about their attack, thats how football works. Of course I agree, time we looked at 4 players who can get the ball down, link up and cause them problems. Rooney, Sturridge, Sterling and Lallana can do this.

With regards to Uruguays defence, most will know Lugano, West Brom. Not great at all and their captain I believe. Surely can get at him. Godin is ok though and Pereira the full back alright aswell.
  • Options
    I'd go

Hart
    Johnson Cahill Jagielka Shaw
    Gerrard Henderson
    Lallana Rooney Sterling
    Sturridge

I think Shaw's good enough and will thrive at a place like the World cup. He's shown he can play well under pressure this season
  • Options
    I would like to see us go with the young, form players. There are a couple of reasons for this. One, we aren't going to win this tournament. There are a number of teams better than us. I would love to go out, giving it a go. When I think back to that Italy game in Euro 2012, it looked like we were just playing for penalties. I am excited about the likes of Barkley & Shaw, so would rather see us get them in, get them playing together and build for the future.

I actually think we might not win another trophy in my lifetime (I'm 32). But even if we don't, I want to see us rip up the approach we have taken over the past 15-20 years. We play not to get beat, and if after 6 passes we're not getting anywhere, we go direct.

I believe some of the younger players coming through have been watching the likes of Bayern & Barca in their childhoods, wanting to replicate this style of football. Obviously it will take time, and saying we're not going to win a trophy in my lifetime at the age of 32 is a bold statement. However, little changes in approach would be welcome.

You can bet the likes of Germany, Brazil, Spain, Argentina etc are expecting a typical direct England approach. Let us surprise them by playing a team on form and some unusual names.

I'd go with

Hart

Johnson
    Cahill
    Jagielka
    Shaw

Sterling
    Gerrard
    Barkley
    Baines

Rooney
    Sturridge

I appreciate my original post was to include Henderson, but Barkley is also on the form of his life and Gerrard is accustomed to sitting a little deeper these days.

I know it is an inexperienced side, but I've watched numerous experienced, solid England teams absolutely underwhelm.

Let's go for it.