Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England team at the World Cup

Having seen Liverpool's excellent run over the last 10 games and how well they have played in general, I think England would be silly not to go with 3 of their 4 midfield in Brazil. Those 3 would be Gerrard and Henderson in the middle, Sterling out wide. In addition Sturridge should definitely play up front. If they go onto win the title (even if they don't) their understanding as a 3 plus Sturridge, coupled with their confidence and form makes a very strong argument. Please don't tell me we'll look to accommodate the likes of Cleverly and Wilshire, both of who have had poor seasons. Lampard has played fewer games this season, so would also question him getting in ahead of that midfield. Obviously this is dependent upon which formation we play, but regardless those 4 for me should be in the starting XI

Comments

• Totally agree. Just add Lallana to the mix and we're sorted. Ross Barkley too. Shame Rodriguez is injured.
  • I thought Milner was superb today and was instrumental in getting City back to 2-2. He's had a very good season.
  • I think we have a team now picked on form and not reputation. Mostly.
  • Hart

Johnson
    Terry
    Cahill
    Baines

Henderson
    Gerrard
    Barkley

Sterling
    Sturridge
    Lallana

Weak defence especially at right back. Baines is ok. Terry should be recalled to play alongside Cahill who is decent.

Midfield is good and attack is even better.

That team would hopefully get us out of the group.

I think we will get through along with Uruguay.

Italy are either potential winners or potential disasters at each tournament. Hodgeson et al just need to hope it's a disaster tournament for them.
  • Hart

Richards (he's the best we have but won't get picked)
    Jagielka
    Cahill
    Baines

Gerrard
    Oxlaide-Chamberlain
    Henderson

Sterling
    Sturridge
    Lallana.

Won't happen though. Rooney gets picked regardless.
  • dizzee said:

Hart

Johnson
    Terry
    Cahill
    Baines

Henderson
    Gerrard
    Barkley

Sterling
    Sturridge
    Lallana

Weak defence especially at right back. Baines is ok. Terry should be recalled to play alongside Cahill who is decent.

Italy are either potential winners or potential disasters at each tournament. Hodgeson et al just need to hope it's a disaster tournament for them.

Interesting call not having Rooney? Lallana and Barkley are good shouts, I saw earlier posts as well mentioning them. For me there's also an argument for putting Shaw at LB and Baines LW if we went 4-4-2. We've always had a problem of balance on the left, and it doesn't look like Townsend would want to play on the left should he get picked.
  • cabbles said:

dizzee said:

Hart

Johnson
    Terry
    Cahill
    Baines

Henderson
    Gerrard
    Barkley

Sterling
    Sturridge
    Lallana

Interesting call not having Rooney? Lallana and Barkley are good shouts, I saw earlier posts as well mentioning them. For me there's also an argument for putting Shaw at LB and Baines LW if we went 4-4-2. We've always had a problem of balance on the left, and it doesn't look like Townsend would want to play on the left should he get picked.
    Martinez has spoken about playing Baines in central midfield a la Lahm. I think it's a good call long term.
  • Cole is still a superb left back. Lack of games for Chelsea is a worry, but still think Shaw ans Baines are too similar. Agree Baines could play left mid, but only with Cole behind him imo
  • ------------Hart
    Johnson - Jagielka - Cahill - Baines
    ---Barkley - Gerrard - Wilshire
    -----------Rooney
    Sterling---------------Llalana
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCsayer said:

------------Hart
    Johnson - Jagielka - Cahill - Baines
    ---Barkley - Gerrard - Wilshire
    -----------Rooney
    Sterling---------------Llalana

Sturridge is a must
  • For excitement factor:

Hart

Johnson
    Jagielka (if not Terry)
    Cahill
    Baines

Gerrard
    Henderson

Lallana
    Barkley
    Sterling

Sturridge

Foster, Forster, Shaw, Jones, Stones, Flanagan, Carrick, Oxlade-Chamberlin, Wilshire, Milner, Lambert/Carroll, Rooney.

• I wouldn't have Henderson in the squad. I still think he flatters to deceive and looks just ok in a very good side. International quality , he ain't.
  • Don't think Barkley will make the first 11, he's only just started to fix his place for Everton.

Gerrard, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Wilshere are all probably ahead of him.

Milner + Sterling battling on the right is a good problem to have, both been superb these past few games. Sterling edges it this season though.

Lallana is a must on the left.

Shame our defense isn't quite on the same level as the rest of the talent in the team.
  • edited April 2014

I wouldn't have Henderson in the squad. I still think he flatters to deceive and looks just ok in a very good side. International quality , he ain't.

disagree completely. Live with a huge Liverpool fan who loves him. Filled in well when Gerrard was injured. Not necessarily in the team but not having him in the squad when he will come off a successful season (and possibly winners medal) would be foolish IMO.
  • For excitement factor:

Hart

Johnson
    Jagielka (if not Terry)
    Cahill
    Baines

Gerrard
    Henderson

Lallana
    Barkley
    Sterling

Sturridge

Foster, Forster, Shaw, Jones, Stones, Flanagan, Carrick, Oxlade-Chamberlin, Wilshire, Milner, Lambert/Carroll, Rooney.

Decent but not sure about Stones/Flanagan. Shaw is above Flanagan who is a right back really albeit doing a good job at left back. Cole aswell above him. Not sure Stone is ready to be picked at centre half after only playing a handful of games there, Smalling probably ahead of him.
  • edited April 2014
    My squad:

GK - Hart, Foster, Forster
    RB - Johnson, Jones/Smalling
    LB - Baines, Shaw
    CB - Jones/Smalling, Cahill, Jagielka
    CM - Gerrard, Henderson, Carrick, Wilshere
    Wingers - Ox, Milner, Sterling, Lallana
    Str - Carroll, Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck
    Final place to Barkley, would have been Rodriguez but he's injured.
  • It's a shame that Lambert probably misses out, had a great season this year.
  • ----------Hart
    Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines
    --------Gerrard
    -Henderson----Barkley
    --------Sterling
    ----Rooney Sturridge
  • Hart

Jones
    Cahill
    Terry
    Cole

Gerrard
    Wilshere

Chamberlain
    Rooney
    Lallana

Sturridge/Welbeck
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2014

Hart

Richards (he's the best we have but won't get picked)
    Jagielka
    Cahill
    Baines

Gerrard
    Oxlaide-Chamberlain
    Henderson

Sterling
    Sturridge
    Lallana.

Won't happen though. Rooney gets picked regardless.

Like the look of this team, although would personally switch Barkley with Henderson, the kid has a bit of magic
  • edited April 2014
    Milner could go and do a very good job as a right back. I'd feel more confident with him in the team than Phil Jones or Chris Smalling. My twenty-three on the plane would, at the moment, be:

----------------- HART-----------------

JOHNSON --- CAHILL --- JAGIELKA --- BAINES

--------- GERRARD --- HENDERSON --------
    --- ROONEY ---- LALLANA ---- OX-CHAM --- (interchanging/swapping/floating in behind:)

-------------- STURRIDGE ---------------

Subs:
    GK: FOSTER, FORSTER
    DF: SHAW, JONES, STONES, (& MILNER for RB cover)
    MF: MILNER, LAMPARD, BARKLEY, STERLING, TOWNSEND
    FW: LAMBERT, CARROLL
  • Nice idea (the Liverpool thing), just a shame we've not got a player of Suarez's quality to help them play as well as they are for Liverpool.

Would probably play them though, as well as Rooney - he should definitely start, he's overrated to an extent in my opinion but is still easily one of the best we've got.

• edited April 2014
    The only problem is, is that you can go with an attacking line up but when you come up against the big boys you will struggle. Against smaller teams then it is worth it. Anyone remember the match against Chilli? Don't think we touched the ball. And they're not even considered a big team, let alone when we play them in their climate. I'd settle for getting out of the groups.
  • I think woy want us to play 4-3-3, Gerrard sitting back in the holding role and lallana and oxlade chamberlain bombing forward. Then have a couple of advanced wingers next to what seems like Rooney in the centre.
  • I think woy want us to play 4-3-3, Gerrard sitting back in the holding role and lallana and oxlade chamberlain bombing forward. Then have a couple of advanced wingers next to what seems like Rooney in the centre.

that would be too attacking though. I mean Ox is a winger, don't really want him CM.
  • Milner could go and do a very good job as a right back. I'd feel more confident with him in the team than Phil Jones or Chris Smalling. My twenty-three on the plane would, at the moment, be:

--- ROONEY ---- LALLANA ---- OX-CHAM --- (interchanging/swapping/floating in behind:)

Subs:

Swap Rooney for Sterling and this is spot on imo.

that would be too attacking though. I mean Ox is a winger, don't really want him CM.
    played there in the recent friendlies and been playing there for arsenal and has been probably their best player in the last few dire months they've had.
  • Milner could go and do a very good job as a right back. I'd feel more confident with him in the team than Phil Jones or Chris Smalling. My twenty-three on the plane would, at the moment, be:

Subs:

good squad, but no way will both Lambert/Carroll go, Welbeck will certainly go instead of one of them. And Smalling/Wilshere instead of Stones and Lampard.
  • Not being funny but I don't see what Wilshire has done to deserve a place. Would rather have Lampard's experience from the bench.