Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Billy Davies sacked.

12346»

Comments

• Options

Not a done deal yet. Gary Brazil in charge tomorrow, apparently

Fascinating account of the madness of the Davies reign here. The "North Korea of the Midlands" apparently. Puts our goings on in a bit of context.

Or was this the account of someone who didn't like him?

The journalist says:

1. He fell out with the media
    2. Got jobs for friends / family
    3. Fell out with the board over transfers

Well Alex Ferguson fell out with the media, employed family and it would not be a surprise if he occasionally disagreed with the board.

A bit more than 'falling out'. He took to filming them. That is press harassment. And if it wasn't true, it would not be printed in national newspaper.

I think given what @ormistonaddick tells us above, you have to give this account a lot of credibility.

I also understood that one of the sticking points when we talked to him was his insistence on bringing in his entire crew. I think this would have meant for example the sacking of people like Keith Peacock.

A lot of clubs film press conferences. I appreciate there is filming and then there is filming, will need a bit more info before it can be said to be press harassment.

As for believing everything in the papers, well that's up to you.

A lot of managers want to bring their own people.
  • Options
    Owner wanted to pick the team again apparently. Also why Warnock turned it down. Where have we heard that before?
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    I wonder if there is any precedent for clubs appointing ex-England full-backs who are loved by the fans.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Rizzo said:
    I wonder if there is any precedent for clubs appointing ex-England full-backs who are loved by the fans.
    ....with an owner that wants to pick the team.
  • Options

Fascinating account of the madness of the Davies reign here. The "North Korea of the Midlands" apparently. Puts our goings on in a bit of context.

The journalist says:

Well Alex Ferguson fell out with the media, employed family and it would not be a surprise if he occasionally disagreed with the board.

And if it wasn't true, it would not be printed in national newspaper.

Laughable

• Options

Owner wanted to pick the team again apparently. Also why Warnock turned it down. Where have we heard that before?

There is a lot being said about the owners of clubs wanting to pick the team etc, if that is the case why don't these owners save the money they would spend on a manager and just pick the team if it's true?

• Options

The journalist says:

And if it wasn't true, it would not be printed in national newspaper.

Laughable

What I meant of course is that the specific claim that Davies took to filming journalists would not be printed in a respectable national paper, if it was untrue.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2014
    SE9 said:

There is a lot being said about the owners of clubs wanting to pick the team etc, if that is the case why don't these owners save the money they would spend on a manager and just pick the team if it's true?

We don't have a manager anymore...

• Options

I dunno where have we heard it before?
  • Options

The journalist says:

A bit more than 'falling out'. He took to filming them. That is press harassment. And if it wasn't true, it would not be printed in national newspaper.

I think given what @ormistonaddick tells us above, you have to give this account a lot of credibility.

I also understood that one of the sticking points when we talked to him was his insistence on bringing in his entire crew. I think this would have meant for example the sacking of people like Keith Peacock.

Keith Peacock and Day had already left before Davis was approached. Maybe it was the club's inststienece he had to work within their newly appointed structure of Andrew Mills, Les Reed and Mark Robson he had issues with (and I for one can't blame him)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why
    WSS said:

SE9 said:

Why appoint Riga, why in out case RD could just pick the team himself and save a few quid?

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

The journalist says:

Keith Peacock and Day had already left before Davis was approached. Maybe it was the club's inststienece he had to work within their newly appointed structure of Andrew Mills, Les Reed and Mark Robson he had issues with (and I for one can't blame him)

I think there was an element of that, not wanting to follow Curbs and the club not picking him up on time from the hotel - so he checked out! Even though Davies appeared to be first choice it still baffles me how we ended up with Dowie considering the good managers that would have taken that job.
  • Options
    SE9 said:

Why

WSS said:

SE9 said:

Why appoint Riga, why in out case RD could just pick the team himself and save a few quid?

I think they like to pick certain players to play. But not to train them each day & divise the tactics.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    Interesting article.

Stuart Pearce says he has conditions that need satisfying first: "I would have thought there are certain things a manager wouldn't accept. Things like picking of the team and players coming through the door who are signed by somebody else that you don't want."

So we can assume he won't be applying for the "Permanent" Charlton manager/coach (delete as appropriate) job in the summer, then..... ;-)

• Options
    Can't see Mackay taking it. He's probably had enough of egomanical foreign lunatic chairmen.
  • Options
    Pearce has just turned down the Forest job, same reasons as Walnock I'm guessing
  • Options

Pearce has just turned down the Forest job, same reasons as Walnock I'm guessing

Lucky escape for Forest.